The DJ Booth

DJ Gear Advice

Tools
scottrotton +

Tommys Theme great tune

Times thanked
< 0
DJ Gear Advice
Hi all this is my first post, ive recently come over from the UK and im living in Sydney, been around the music scene all my life and most of my friends are djing over in the UK. I want to start up here now im settled and because i have come here on my own I can no longer borrow my friends decks and needs my own setup, didnt quiet realise how expensive this game was lol

I have used CDJ2000 and 1000mk3s a for prob 40 hours in total, I can beat match similar songs but still not too great mix slow to fast and vise versa....

was looking at getting a CDJ850 and a DJM 350 but feel i will prob end up upgrading this in a few months once my skills have reach a decent level and I want to try my hand at some twisted effects, so am I looking at getting CDJ900 with DJM900 and hope i want want to upgrade this any time soon (cant afford to even if i wanted too)

Reason I want this gear is although this will start out as a hobby I know I will want to be playing is a club somewhere as my main goal.

Anyone have any advise on this my reason for cdj900 are i like the breakdown effect you have over the 800s and also the auto loop which will help me whilst I learn, also like the idea of not having to burn cds and playing my set with rekordbox, reason for the DJM 900 is i beleive it will be industry standard by the time on ready for the club scene giving me an advatage over other DJs who havnt used this.

Looking for advice of anyone who is willing to help, has anyone had any experince on these? do you guys have DJ comps over here where new DJs can break onto the scence iim 26 so getting on a bit for a DJ so want to break in quiet soom haha
scottrotton +

Tommys Theme great tune

Times thanked
< 0
PS anyone know of some good headphones for 100-150, or the cheapest place to get all the gear from
deejaydee +

Times thanked
< 14
There are quite a lot of these threads around here mate. Have a look around and see what you can find.

IMO (and I'm too lazy to elaborate) you're planning to spend a fair bit more than you should.
scottrotton +

Tommys Theme great tune

Times thanked
< 0
OK thanks for the heads up
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
You aren't going to need more than CDJ850s at home...
Tech-One
scottrotton +

Tommys Theme great tune

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas View Post

You aren't going to need more than CDJ850s at home...

Thanks for this, if I get the 850s ill save a lot of money!, can you still do the 1/2 /13 beet loops with the 850s, when I watched the demos on youtube it lokoed great for mixing up tracks btu not sure if there is a way on the 850s, also I was worried about the compatibilty with the djm900 if I get 850s do I loose any feature with that?
Kent +

Times thanked
< 19
OP have you considered a DJ controller like Traktor S2? I'm thinking that is much better (and cheaper) than CDJ.
stuff
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
< 4,510
You can even get cheaper cdjs for home use, if you want to save even more money.

I'm still rocking cdj100s
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,240
Just coz equipment X is what is in the clubs, doesn't mean you have to have it at home...part of DJing is adaptability...and frankly, a CDJ is a CDJ is a CDJ, if you can play on one, you can play on any...and mixers don't take long to figure out, all you need to be able to find is the headphone volume, the monitor volume, the channel cue buttons and the gains/EQs...everything else is bells and whistles
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
I found the awesomeness of the isolator on the DJM900, i want this as a minimum from now on!
Tech-One
jonthewolfpack +

Times thanked
< 0
I was in the same position mate, moved from UK to Perth though and struggled to get DJ gear i wanted. Been using Behringer stuff at the moment (I know its a tainted name at the moment but hey it works for me). Went to this place called Kosmic who are based here and brought some gear and they offered me some advice, im pretty sure they deliver to east coast as well. Oh yeah check out Aiaia Headphones as well, they're pretty damn awesome, just google Kosmic, sweet.
dibiasea +

Times thanked
< 0
I would say get a Digital DJ setup to start off with, like a Kontrol S2/S4 or some other Pioneer/Behringer alternative. It gives you alot more optionality with your mixing. However stay off the sync button or it will take you ages to feel comfortable mixing in high and low bpm songs.
Also as long as you've got a stand that keeps shit out of the way in clubs then usually they don't mind you bringing your own equipment along, all you have to do is plug in RCA to the mixer
bradj88 +

Times thanked
< 26
I've recently put together a new set up, I was going to go with CDJ's but realised (after the advise of the users here and research on prices features etc) that they are way over priced for what they are. CDJ 2000's and 900's are sweet anything lower than those are pretty basic compared to what a controller can do. You can also go with a DVS set up. I've gone down the DVS route and scored everything second hand for about the cost of one CDJ 2000.
matt-shep +

Times thanked
< 0
price i paid for an awesome 2nd setup
djm 400 - $305
cdj800mk2 - $280
cdj1000mk2 - $250

add on dvs for $300 and cant beat it

« Previous Thread Next Thread »