EDM, Trance and Hard Dance

Why doesn't it satisfy me?

Tools
Corexxx +

Times thanked
< 0
Why doesn't it satisfy me?
This is aimed at more of the dark psy listeners...

So, I like hard trance, I like industrial, I'm obsessed with horror, I love venturing down the rabbit hole, but for some reason I can't find dark psy that does it for me.

I experienced my first Rainbow Serpent this year, and although 90% of it was pure crap, the deep, heavy, almost early hardstyle-esque (in kick/beat pattern, not actual sounds used) really appealed to me.

I've searched a few things, and while some of it sounds cool, most of it goes nowhere and isn't heavy enough.

I figured, I'd hand it to you guys, recommend me the best of the best when it comes to hard, fast, evil, dark psy.

I want my mind blown.
Lost In Blue
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,447
go to Youtube and search for these artistes:

Psykovsky
Kindzadza
Fungus Funk
Para Halu
Parasense
Menog

or if you want some really inventive, experimental, abstract, crazy, all-over-the-place psy (dark even), check out the 'Suomi Saundi' (i.e. the Finnish sound).
this includes artistes such as Texas Faggott, Mandalavandalz, Flying Scorpions, ...and many more.
these words fill this space
Anomyst +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 42
yep and anything parvati records, farebi jalebi & more
also check this one out -
Artifact Events
Dec 26 - Colour of Sound Boxing Day @ Neverland
Nov 20 - Interview -BAYSIDE BEATLAB -Bluetech|KiloWatts
Artifact Events | Interview | Colour of Sound | Ben Evans: Artist | Soundcloud
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 432
Would be interested to know what artists (rough timeslots) at Rainbow you meant? The music never got that hectic this year, the 'hardness' probably peaked at Space Tribe which surely isn't what you meant? The above suggestions are excellent for dark psy but that wasn't close to what was played at RSF.
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
< 83
I know the stuff you mean, but I can't think of many artists (maybe some of Juno Reactor's early stuff?). It's almost as if darkpsy is too fast, and doesn't incorporate any industrial elements (the sounds are still quite warm and round, none of the industrial abrasive, distorted stuff).

I call the other stuff 'hard pay' but there's not much of it around.... Reckon you should check out some of the 90's acid techno instead for stuff that is hard and psychedelic.

*Edit - forgot I had this album - got some good hard stuff with a psychedelic edge!

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sol/sol1cd022.html
Dragon Dreaming Festival - 25-27 October @ Canberra - Prog/Psytrance

Soliton Drop Festival - 10-12 January @ NSW - Prog/Psytrance

Hard NV - 1 February - @NV Nightclub, Canberra - Hard Techno

Brotherhood - 8 February @Canberra Warehouse - Techno/Trance

Kazuki.com.au

Last edited by Digitalgrub: 18-Apr-12 at 04:26pm

MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 432
Ovnimoon Records is probably the most psychedelic label left that still puts out the pumping stuff. Pumping as opposed to hard though. A lot of is atmospheric and dark in parts, like say Via Axis:
Media Player
YouTube
SkinDeep +

Bonafide

Times thanked
< 201
I'm a fan of the ultimate darkness, and maybe like you, I don't find much music that satisfies me quite like I'd like it to. Psy-trance has changed (man) into something I'm not even sure if I like anymore. I'm sure there's stuff out there I would like if I knew were to find it, but most of what I hear is just the same old tired formula and I'm bored to tears with it.

Try this on for size - these guys are about as good as I've found in terms of dark music that is rough as guts and still retains some musicality, and is therefore quite listenable and dancefloor friendly. They play quite a wide range of sounds/genres, but it's all mashed up into a huge heaving monster of doom.

Ancient Methods - Some Strings Attached

As for dark psy. The best dark psy set I ever saw was from Xenomorph. I have his albums though, and I don't listen to them much, so go figure. It was just something about the set I think (top level Commericial Lounge (Melb) in ummm ... 2005 maybe). Redline is/was (?) a local (melb? maybe syd, not sure) DJ who played some great dark psy. No idea if he's still around, he was affiliated with Tribeadelic I think. Loved that guy, he fucken rocked it, I have fond memories of a Logic Bomb gig where he played after them and totally destroyed the place and then Ozzy brought it home in the morning, it was a killer night.

As for dark music in general (and quite a ways away from hard dance), here's some music that I consider to be top shelf darkness (I'll list some albums):

Amon Tobin - Out From Out Where
Future Sound Of London - Dead Cities
Kangding Ray - Automne Fold

and this is more techno oriented, dark, rough, rocking, good shit.

British Murder Boys (in general, this is Surgeon and Regis as a duo. Also look up Sandwell District)
Morphosis
Traversable Wormhole
CLR Records (Chris Liebing, Tommy Four Seven, Monoloc, ...)
Perc (PercTrax Records)
Lucy (I love this guy, really atmospheric minimal techno stuff, I'd mention more like this but I'm not sure it's what you would be after)

Here's a cool Liebing remix of Tommy Four Seven

Media Player
Tommy Four Seven - Snout (Chris Liebing Remix) - YouTube
there must be some mistake I didn't mean to let them take away my soul am I too old is it too late

my soundcloud my last.fm
Lui_raptor +

Times thanked
< 0
Dark psy .. like all subgenres of psy goes through its phases..

The early stuff of Psykovsky and Kindzadza has some serious pound to it.. especially this track which is now many years old.. but still a timeless epic when it comes to darkpsy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_NJXWWN0j4 check out labels like vertigo records and all the other old russian labels and producers. some of the indian producers are also quite good.. like kerosine club and there was a whole wave of greek producers that had good poundage aswell such as atriom.

the early darkpsy was based more on industrial/horror.. especially stuff that came out of sweden from the mid to late 90's from artists such as Kasol, Battle of The Future Buddhas and the absolute king of horror inspired deep headfuck - XENOMORPH. I have retired all of the older darkpsy from my collection (1995 - 2005) cos the kids at the parties these days always want the new stuff and im not personally into it... so if i ever get it out ill post up here some more producer names.

The later phase of darkpsy (2008 - present) has the increased tempo that you may be looking for.. but for me personally the really fast stuff doesnt appeal at all and 148-150 bpm is max bpm for me when it comes to night music... as when it gets superfast it doesnt leave much space for textures and sounds to breathe and you are just left with squiggly snippets of sound instead of more mind-opening sounds.

The best darkpsy i ever experienced was at a underground party in orebro sweden in 2000.. 3 nights of pure dark sonic bliss and I didnt recognise one track the entire time!
Join the ESP EVENTS facebook group to stay up to date with psytrance/psybreaks/glitch parties in Sydney! Free entry comps + more!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »