Sport and Fitness

Bulking Up & Getting Buff (putting on 15kgs+)

Page 29 of 29
  Tools

Times thanked
< 1,996
When you get to the intermediate stage, programming matters. A lot.
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,727
i liked it when yani came in asking for advice, and less than 2 weeks later started offering advice to lifting/training veterans

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

Western Australian renaissance man (who knows that feel)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Why do people call it a back pedal every time somebody explains themselves on the internet?

Poondaddy Shortbread +

So it's rorschach and prozac and everything is groovy

Times thanked
< 1,391
Gains does not = size/weight for everyone yani. They're talking about improving lifting which requires, funnily enough, lifting.
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
< 8,793
On phone, trying to find an excellent article I read recently on muscle growth. This will have to do for now.

The difference between sarcoplasmic muscle growth (the fluid in the muscle, or the 'pump') vs myofibrillar growth (actual increase in the density of muscle tissue). Explains why size doesn't always equal strength.

http://www.naturalremedyhealth.com/v...an-muscle-grow

Times thanked
< 1,996
Thanks for that, I've known about them before, but never had a good article like that I can show other people.
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
< 8,793
and another

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...le-growth.html
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
< 7,064

Quote:

Originally Posted by yani_s View Post

if anything diet>>>lifting in terms of guts

fyp

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 859

Quote:

Originally Posted by didjeridude View Post

@bulldozer, I think pretty much most "bodybuilding" programs were developed by steroid users. When you inject a steroid hormone exogenously you completely bypass the normal physiological response and thus maintain an anabolic hormonal profile regardless of whether your workouts incorporate full body compound lifts. It been shown time and time again that the biggest increases in testosterone result from doing compound lifting. So imo, the best way for a non-steroid user to put on size is to build their program around compound lifting first and then go from there. You should do squats (or any variation of) OR deadlifts (or any variation of) or both, in every workout you do.

If I wanted to put on mass (which I personally don't however), but if I did, and I was doing a 4 day split, I would do something along these lines....

day 1
Squat
Horizontal push (ie: bench)
Accessory

Day2
deadlift
horizontal pull
accessory

Day3
Squat
Vertical push
accessory

day 4
deadlift
vertical pull
accessory

The reps look fine, but the important thing is to keep the rest between sets pretty short. You could also use ascending or descending variations such as 4,6,8,10 or 10,8,6,4 or pyramids such as 10,8,6,8,10 -> 8,6,4,6,8 -> 8,4,3,4,8 if you're looking for strength AND size.

The other thing that is important is to keep the workouts very dense ie: don't spend time fluffing around between sets and exercises. Get in, bang out the intensity for about an hour, get out. Smash your BCAAs and whey like its going out of fashion during and after every workout, but wait until after before adding dextrose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaMonium View Post

@ bulldozer

In addition to what Didj said i would question why you need to bench so much.

I would simply things even furher if you are going for the size and strength trade off. in the short term they are incompatible goals in the long term they become unintentionally compatible.

i would look at this:

Day1. DL/ Mil press/ vert pull/ D/L accesssory
Day 2. Conditioning -
Day 3 Bench/bench accessory/horizontal pull. Add +20% volume for pulling movements.
Day 4. Conditioning - Moderate
Day 5. Sqwatzz, heavy abs, biceps
Day 6 conditioning -
Day 7 Active recovery/restoration/rest.

Volume modulation;

W1 High
W2 Medium
W3 Very high
W4 Deload.

At the end of the day, everything works... for a period of time until you adapt.

I'm gonna be basing my weekly split and routine very closely to the above two posts. Cheers guys. Have found over the last few months that gains in strength aren't really progressing as how I think they should be with my current split of one muscle group per session.

Started yesterday with deadlifts, squats, linear leg press, military press, bent over laterals. doms are in full effect today and I feel great. Also, yesterdays session was the most I've sweat in the gym this year

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
< 58
What kind of angle do you guys have your toes pointing when doing squats? I've found if I try to keep them relatively straight they twist outwards (penguin-style) towards the bottom of the squat and end up at a pretty wide angle on the way up. I know SS talks about having a 30 degree angle for your toes, but I feel like mine are getting closer to 45 I had a training buddy telling me that I should use the leg press machine to build up some strength before going back to squats. Not really keen on that idea.. but don't want to keep pushing if I'm going to hurt myself.

So what's your stance like?
:: Download my mixes!

Summer Circles - Summer-inspired house, tech-house and melody - http://www.soundcloud.com/ryanm
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,252
Your feet shouldn't move during the squat... Also it depends on the person. I have bowed legs so my feet tend to point a fair way outwards, and I have a pretty wide stance so I go ass to grass.
Poondaddy Shortbread +

Times thanked
< 1,391
How wide apart are your feet? What's your hip flexibility like?
More like borophyl
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
< 58

Quote:

Your feet shouldn't move during the squat... Also it depends on the person. I have bowed legs so my feet tend to point a fair way outwards, and I have a pretty wide stance so I go ass to grass.

Further than 30 degrees do you reckon? My feet only move when I try to squat with my toes pointing further forward, I guess they just want to be outwards. I think its also because I'm concentrating on shoving my knees out, maybe this is dragging my toes outwards also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poondaddy Shortbread View Post

How wide apart are your feet? What's your hip flexibility like?

Feet are approximately shoulder width apart. Hip flexibility isn't great.. come to think of it, none of my flexibility is that great...

Summer Circles - Summer-inspired house, tech-house and melody - http://www.soundcloud.com/ryanm
Poondaddy Shortbread +

Times thanked
< 1,391
My feet are normally a bit wider than shoulder width, probably have toes pointed about 45 degrees out. Are you squatting below parallel?
More like borophyl
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
< 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poondaddy Shortbread View Post

My feet are normally a bit wider than shoulder width, probably have toes pointed about 45 degrees out. Are you squatting below parallel?

Yep, focusing on getting down to below parallel. Will try with my feet a bit wider and see how I go.

Astro-Boy +

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Times thanked
< 22,321
Post a form check video.
dbushby +

Custom User Title

Times thanked
< 270

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdoofus View Post

Yep, focusing on getting down to below parallel. Will try with my feet a bit wider and see how I go.

Make sure that you're doing a full range of stretches for your lower body too. Best not to take any shortcuts on this part either. Glutes, hamstrings, calves, quads, hips and ankles. Doing the type of stretching in the link below really helped me get down to and below parallel while keeping my back in the correct position.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/2011/10/...weightlifting/
didjeridude +

Random Rhythm Generator

Times thanked
< 482

Quote:

What kind of angle do you guys have your toes pointing when doing squats? I've found if I try to keep them relatively straight they twist outwards (penguin-style) towards the bottom of the squat and end up at a pretty wide angle on the way up. I know SS talks about having a 30 degree angle for your toes, but I feel like mine are getting closer to 45 I had a training buddy telling me that I should use the leg press machine to build up some strength before going back to squats. Not really keen on that idea.. but don't want to keep pushing if I'm going to hurt myself.

Hard to know for sure without video, but it sounds like classic adductor tightness/glut inactivation couple. During a regular squat, if your knees roll inwards (internal rotation of the femur), then your tibia rotates outwards which causes the outwards twist at the feet. Do more dynamic stretching of your groin and include goblet squats in your warm-up (the very first picture in the link dbushy posted above). Add in glut activation work like single leg squats and deads. Start using a band around knees when you squat regular and push those muthas OUT. Get a new training buddy who isn't a leg pressing girl. If all that fails, nail your feet to the floor.
Reality: To be or not to be? The Adventures of Dr Shroom (and Captain Jones)
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,064

Quote:

have you got better shoes yet? have you been doing mobility work? have you been doing lots of air squats?

Quote:

buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

put some weight on the bar next time. pretty hard for your feet to move with 315 on the bar
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,252
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...tt-lift-bridge

Do these to warm up with as well mcdoofus.

My warm up usually consists of http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...ont-leg-raises , but I do the sideways variant, then I do some front and side lunges to loosen up the quads/hip and the groin, and then finally some bodyweight goblet squats. Usually gets me pretty warmed up to squat heavy - I haven't done a mischief on my legs since I started that routine. I'm probably going to add in those bridges as well because my gluts were getting a bit sore with heavier weights, working overtime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Quote:

I think you obviously dont understand what i'm trying to say.

Gussigan +

business dog is all about business

Times thanked
< 3,758
your feet should be angled out. don't worry about trying to point toes forward unless you start doing geared lifting...
Gusface Grillah
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
I'v actually lost wight since i started smashing the gym, but all my lifts have increased?

I know the culprit is 7 hour shifts with no break where I can't eat so I'v started bringing in 1L of milk to smash behind the bar instead of redbull/coffee/coke,

really just find it hard to have a consitent eating program with my unplanned life,

oh well
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,064

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

really just find it hard to have a consitent eating program with my unplanned life

you can't blame your problems on your parents.

Quote:

pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
lol^
Spoiler:

Quote:

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
< 58
Thanks for all the responses

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbushby View Post

Make sure that you're doing a full range of stretches for your lower body too. Best not to take any shortcuts on this part either. Glutes, hamstrings, calves, quads, hips and ankles. Doing the type of stretching in the link below really helped me get down to and below parallel while keeping my back in the correct position.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/2011/10/...weightlifting/

Thanks for this - I feel like if I am getting below parallel I may be losing the curve in my back at the last moment. Will give these a shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by didjeridude View Post

Hard to know for sure without video, but it sounds like classic adductor tightness/glut inactivation couple. During a regular squat, if your knees roll inwards (internal rotation of the femur), then your tibia rotates outwards which causes the outwards twist at the feet. Do more dynamic stretching of your groin and include goblet squats in your warm-up (the very first picture in the link dbushy posted above). Add in glut activation work like single leg squats and deads. Start using a band around knees when you squat regular and push those muthas OUT. Get a new training buddy who isn't a leg pressing girl. If all that fails, nail your feet to the floor.

Ahh yes I remember the goblet squat from SS, didn't know that's what it was called. Should you be aiming to get your knees shoved out that far during an actual squat or is it just designed to stretch and loosen up the muscles?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancho View Post

have you got better shoes yet? have you been doing mobility work? have you been doing lots of air squats?

Wearing shoes a bit like these:

I have been doing those stretches you showed me, plus the odd air squat and goblet squat (though I could certainly do more).

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

put some weight on the bar next time. pretty hard for your feet to move with 315 on the bar

Yeah I figure this is part of the problem, but want to get form perfect before throwing 315 on there

Quote:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...tt-lift-bridge

Do these to warm up with as well mcdoofus.

My warm up usually consists of http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...ont-leg-raises , but I do the sideways variant, then I do some front and side lunges to loosen up the quads/hip and the groin, and then finally some bodyweight goblet squats. Usually gets me pretty warmed up to squat heavy - I haven't done a mischief on my legs since I started that routine. I'm probably going to add in those bridges as well because my gluts were getting a bit sore with heavier weights, working overtime.

Nice one, cheers, will give these a crack today.

Off to the gym! Will post a form video in a week or so once I get used to the movement a bit more.

gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
< 8,793
ShyBoy +

Shake Dat Thing Gurl

Times thanked
< 32
Guys,

Whilst everyone seems to be shredding over the summer months, I have decided that I want to try and bulk up and see if I can get back to my rugby playing weight of 110kgs.

I am going to run a legs/push/pull split and for the first time ever, I am going to try a weight gainer.

I weighed myself this morning and I am currently sitting at 106kgs (I am 6"2').

Will keep you guys posted on how I go....
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,198
Weight gainer = expensive sugar.
ShyBoy +

Shake Dat Thing Gurl

Times thanked
< 32

Quote:

Yeah I have heard that.

Timing wise, I needed protein so I thought I will give it a shot. As I said, I have never used such a product.

The breakdown per serve is 52g protein, 170g carbs at 1050 calories.

I am interested to see how my body responds...
Astro-Boy +

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Times thanked
< 22,321
Diabeetus, most likely.
Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
< 2,250
Shouldn't you just start with the 'eat all the foods & GOMAD' theory?
ShyBoy +

Shake Dat Thing Gurl

Times thanked
< 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobi View Post

Shouldn't you just start with the 'eat all the foods & GOMAD' theory?

I am already a pretty big eater.

My stomach couldn't handle that much milk...
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,369

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShyBoy View Post

Yeah I have heard that.

Timing wise, I needed protein so I thought I will give it a shot. As I said, I have never used such a product.

The breakdown per serve is 52g protein, 170g carbs at 1050 calories.

I am interested to see how my body responds...

Dude you're part islander right? You shouldn't need weight gainer, just stick to the tried and tested KFC and taro combo! Leave the omggetfullsikmassive powders to skinny leb kids
ShyBoy +

Shake Dat Thing Gurl

Times thanked
< 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

Dude you're part islander right? You shouldn't need weight gainer, just stick to the tried and tested KFC and taro combo! Leave the omggetfullsikmassive powders to skinny leb kids

Yeah I am...

As mentioned, its more of an experiment for me.
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 981
GOMAD sounds so horrible. i can't imagine what would happen to your skin if you drank so much milk.
nah mate
airconteka +

moving sideways in a forward motion

Times thanked
< 11,859

Quote:

Yeah but normal sugar isn't XTrMe
Unspoilt by Progress
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
Well it sure makes you fart alot , that much i know for sure ^
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,369

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

Well it sure makes you fart alot , that much i know for sure ^

Didn't make you gain much weight though, maybe you farted all your gainz out.
ShyBoy +

Shake Dat Thing Gurl

Times thanked
< 32
Just a quick update, I have been on the gainer for exactly 1 week.

The shake itself is easy to drink (cookies & cream, tastes good!), however I have broken it down to 3 shakes of 2 scoops for around 1,500 cals. Have done 2 shakes of 3 scoops but was a little hard on the guts.

Weighed myself today, currently sitting at 108kgs.

2kgs in a week - I am pleasantly surprised....
My Trap/Mash Up Mix - Twurk till it Hurt

https://soundcloud.com/iamdjshy/twurk-till-it-hurt
ShyBoy +

Shake Dat Thing Gurl

Times thanked
< 32
Finished the bag...

[IMG][/IMG]

little_brad +

Times thanked
< 4,971
Nice vibrams
ShyBoy +

Shake Dat Thing Gurl

Times thanked
< 32
LOL, I was hoping no one would pick up on that...

Admittedly they are ugly as f*ck, but they are as close to barefoot as I can get.

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,774
Well, you could go barefoot.
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
111kg, UNIT!
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic

ShyBoy +

Shake Dat Thing Gurl

Times thanked
< 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuncanM View Post

Well, you could go barefoot.

Not in the gym you can't...

pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
dude you're 111kg, you can probably do what you want in the gym anyway ^ haha
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic

little_brad +

Times thanked
< 4,971

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShyBoy View Post

Not in the gym you can't...

Build a home gym and lift barefoot

Ultimate Caveman!!!
WillHos +

Times thanked
< 0
I know it sounds boring but it's the usual way - training, chicken breasts and brown rice. Ps, funny one on the lefty views @bigeddie
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,175
any vegies bra?
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
Page 29 of 29

« Previous Thread Next Thread »