Page 3 of 3
  Tools
Kid A +

Private Language

Times thanked
< 271

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honest Abe View Post

Because they weren't really getting to the heart of the matter, they were either just ephemeral (back door No. 10) or if they did address the matter at hand, he didn't actually want to know the answer. It was embarrassing. His repeated refusal to allow James Murdoch to provide more detail on the questions he was asking, just so that he could continue badgering Rupert, looked so bad.

As base just pointed out, you got the wrong dude.

Quote:

Take a look at this article about Watson from The Scotsman last Sunday. It ends like this:

Now, with Rupert and James Maxwell due to appear in front of the culture and media select committee on Tuesday, Watson smells fresh blood.

James has, he says, "questions to answer" about authorising payments to hacking victims. "The focus of attention will be on him and his corporate leadership of the company," Watson said on Friday. Can he add a Murdoch scalp to his already impressive collection? On his current performance, anything seems possible.

And yet on the day, when articulate, clued-in, Harvard-educated James was eager to answer his questions, he just kept dismissing him so that he could return to badgering the old codger. It appeared that Watson wasn't actually interested in getting answers to his questions, rather he was just trying to make an 80 year old man, who everyone knows lives in another country and controls a vast empire where he delegates the minutiae to subordinates, look foolish. Watson was behaving like a grandstanding prick, as I said before.

Look, I'm a died-in-the-wool Labor supporter and detest Murdoch and his whole rotten organisation. That's why I was so disappointed by the way that Watson and the guy that followed him represented Labor - as a badgering bully and an incoherent idiot. I'm not saying the rest of the committee were fabulous, just that Watson and his mate were crap. What a wasted opportunity. They'd probably have been better served by Tom Watson the golfer.

I don't agree at all. I think the way Watson addressed Rupert served a purpose which he made clear whilst doing so and which I made clear in my previous post. This inquiry was as much about presenting a case and representing the frustrations of the public (and those specifically affected) as it was about getting stereotypical, rehearsed, non-answers from James.

Rupert deserved what he got and more. Perhaps you didn't perceive the pregnancy in of all Rupert's pausing and sweating when Watson was drilling him. There was nothing hollow or pointless about it from where I was sitting.
SUSPENDED IN GAFFA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HKtU-w6Bho
Kid A +

Private Language

Times thanked
< 271

Quote:

Yes, you're right, but it was the first question that Jim Sheridan asked after Watson finished.

.....right
SUSPENDED IN GAFFA
Honest Abe +

Old School

Times thanked
< 805

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid A View Post

Rupert deserved what he got and more. Perhaps you didn't perceive the pregnancy in of all Rupert's pausing and sweating when Watson was drilling him. There was nothing hollow or pointless about it from where I was sitting.

You can't blame him for thinking about the question and how he would answer it, especially since so many of the questions were couched in terms that were apparently designed, as you say, "about presenting a case and representing the frustrations of the public" rather than getting a straight answer.

He also stated on Friday that "James has questions to answer", yet on Tuesday he fucked James off at every opportunity. Twat.
Kid A +

Private Language

Times thanked
< 271
I'm not blaming Rupert for his pauses, I'm just saying they were pregnant/said a lot.

Regarding him not directing more questions to James despite his stated intention, is it really such a big deal? He didn't get to ask everything he wanted to, perhaps he would have focused more on James had he finished with Rupert.. Or perhaps he felt compelled to get more out of Rupert than he felt the others had. Either way, bit of a non-issue.
SUSPENDED IN GAFFA
Honest Abe +

Old School

Times thanked
< 805

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid A View Post

I'm not blaming Rupert for his pauses, I'm just saying they were pregnant/said a lot.

Regarding him not directing more questions to James despite his stated intention, is it really such a big deal? He didn't get to ask everything he wanted to, perhaps he would have focused more on James had he finished with Rupert.. Or perhaps he felt compelled to get more out of Rupert than he felt the others had. Either way, bit of a non-issue.

"Or perhaps he felt compelled to get more out of Rupert than he felt the others had." Since he went first, that doesn't make any sense. Are you sure you were watching it live, dude?

And it's not really a non-issue since it was blindingly obvious that James could answer the questions and Rupert couldn't and yet Watson persisted in sidelining the person with the answers, because he wasn't interested in the answers despite his assertion 5 days before that that was his intention, so that he could persist with belittling the old man. It was cheap and unpleasant.

Is it a big deal? Not if the point of the hearing was to belittle Rupert Murdoch. If that was the point then it was a success. He could have done it more effectively with a custard pie. But if the point was to get to the bottom of some of the key issues then Watson wasted his opportunity by not asking the person who could answer the questions so that he could bully Rupert and then bugger off as soon as he was finished. Again, what a waste.

I suppose it made great viewing for all the Murdoch haters, but if any of them actually sat down and thought about what happened they'd realise that Tom Watson got himself some revenge and made himself look like a big man (in his mind, anyway) but that what he achieved served the public interest not one iota.
Vital +

Times thanked
< 80

Quote:

Look, I'm a died-in-the-wool Labor supporter

So not even death stops you from posting...

great
Honest Abe +

Old School

Times thanked
< 805

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vital View Post

So not even death stops you from posting...

great

Oops, dyed-in-the-wool
Kid A +

Private Language

Times thanked
< 271

Quote:

"Or perhaps he felt compelled to get more out of Rupert than he felt the others had." Since he went first, that doesn't make any sense. Are you sure you were watching it live, dude?

And it's not really a non-issue since it was blindingly obvious that James could answer the questions and Rupert couldn't and yet Watson persisted in sidelining the person with the answers, because he wasn't interested in the answers despite his assertion 5 days before that that was his intention, so that he could persist with belittling the old man. It was cheap and unpleasant.

Is it a big deal? Not if the point of the hearing was to belittle Rupert Murdoch. If that was the point then it was a success. He could have done it more effectively with a custard pie. But if the point was to get to the bottom of some of the key issues then Watson wasted his opportunity by not asking the person who could answer the questions so that he could bully Rupert and then bugger off as soon as he was finished. Again, what a waste.

I suppose it made great viewing for all the Murdoch haters, but if any of them actually sat down and thought about what happened they'd realise that Tom Watson got himself some revenge and made himself look like a big man (in his mind, anyway) but that what he achieved served the public interest not one iota.

As I said, i was flipping back and forth between the cycling. But, I thought he had a second show in towards the end. And, I thought there were some questions directed at James towards the end of his time when he got stopped.

Regarding your judgement of Watson's time being a waste, well I don't know how I can make it much more clear that that's simply what it is, your judgement.

As someone who went out and saw 'Outfoxed' at the cinema's when it premiered, and as someone who has always had an interest in the darker side of Murdoch's empire and its vast influence, I admittedly (at a base level) didn't feel much sympathy for the man as he struggled. Basically, I think there was some merit in belittling the man for all the belittling the agents he employs have done to others. Whether it served a practical purpose in regard to the greater issue in question, I think it did more so than the stylised, hollow, PR answers his son gave. You clearly don't, suggesting that there was substance to his sons words. Good for you, I can understand that, you've made it clear why you think that's the case, but I dissagree. What more needs to be said really? We are not dealing with matters of fact/falsifiable premises here. Is there anything else you think I'm missing?

Whether Tom W got his rocks off or not is completely beside the point imo.
SUSPENDED IN GAFFA
Honest Abe +

Old School

Times thanked
< 805
I don't know if the answers that James gave throughout the whole three hours were truth, lies or PR, but some of them certainly contained direct responses to the direct question being asked. If you're so enamoured with Tom Watson that you think he was actually interested in getting answers to the questions, then so be it. That isn't what I witnessed.
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
< 1,726
Sky news had a highly informative discussion about hacking and accidentally brought the Louis

Media Player
YouTube

Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586
^^ Who is louise boat? BWAHAHAH

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxi Jazz

"It's about being determined to have a good time no matter what.
You have to take your good time to the party rather than expect the party to be your good time."

walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510

Quote:

Originally Posted by turkman View Post

Ah, it's pretty everyday use isn't it?
I mean, when obviously you can't get the call someone will leave a voice message telling you that they have rung.

I don't leave them and I hate checking them, missed call function works fine.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,110
U.K. parliamentary committee to recall News Corp.'s James Murdoch for testimony as part of phone-hacking inquiry.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
SoulWhiteMan +

is on the national broadband network

Times thanked
< 7
one thing that has been grossly under-reported (it was mentioned once in all of the papers, inlcuding the fairfax mob) was that the whistleblower of this whole thing died "unsuspiciously" in his apartment. No further police investigation. Nothing.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,110
latest qtr essay on the australian is a great read
http://www.quarterlyessay.com/
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,958
so if push comes to shove... do they just chuck James Murdoch in gaol?

can they do that?

I mean, I know they can, but will they? Won't uncle rupert just phone a few powerful friends and make it not happen? Surely the rich and powerful have an out here (no Nixon)
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,110
what I am wondering as well, to be honest if he lied then hopefully they do stick him in jail, or fastboat to panama etc, might have the pollies do something about the ridiculous situation we have here with the Australian and the Tele/herald sun being the most biast papers in oz history
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Times thanked
< 926
Not really directly NOTW related, but anyway:-

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-2...course/3580890

Lengthy discourse from ABC Board Chairman Maurice Newman about the state of journalism and the ABC's role in plurality vs. partisanship.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated that there doesn't seem to be any action taken against the obvious fact-warping rubbish-news we are all receiving, although admittedly it would be hard to know where to begin fixing this systemic problem. Everyone denounces the Press Council as a tiger with no teeth, I'm unaware of any action being taken to rectify this and make them a force to be reckoned with.

Are we destined to get all of our news from the ABC and other fringe bloggers? Is this what we are left with? I am dreading the day iwhen Fox News Australia gets any serious consideration here, as I feel it may be well received by a certain vocal segment of society.

bleh
Fuck Everything Forever
Weinertron +

Times thanked
< 926
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3597076.html

Stephen Mayne's reaction to the News Corp Shareholder meeting (not much of a meeting imo)
Fuck Everything Forever
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,320

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulWhiteMan View Post

one thing that has been grossly under-reported (it was mentioned once in all of the papers, inlcuding the fairfax mob) was that the whistleblower of this whole thing died "unsuspiciously" in his apartment. No further police investigation. Nothing.

If his death was unsuspicious, why would there be a police investigation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

If his death was unsuspicious, why would there be a police investigation?

Yeah, but was it the Met that declared it "unsuspicious?"

Because they have done such an awesome job investigating other crimes related to the Murdoch's.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,320

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griggle View Post

Yeah, but was it the Met that declared it "unsuspicious?"

Because they have done such an awesome job investigating other crimes related to the Murdoch's.

It wouldn't even get to the Met if the doctors who examined his body determined natural causes though.
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
Well today Crikey won their court case against The Australian and got the injunction to them publishing their material on how The Australian blackmailed the AFP re. the anti-terror raid story.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/11/02/...s-in-afp-raid/

Would have been amusing if the AFP had just put a control order on everyone working for the Australian given what advocates for the control orders they were.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,110
more news ltd shenanigans, this is incredible
from well known communist paper the fin review
http://www.afr.com/p/business/market...eGawgosSzi52MM
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

more news ltd shenanigans, this is incredible
from well known communist paper the fin review
http://www.afr.com/p/business/market...eGawgosSzi52MM

Yeah. This is huge.
Weinertron +

Times thanked
< 926
If this doesn't destroy the Murdoch Empire (or at least put the wheels firmly in motion) I'm afraid that there will be no other way to get rid of them (short of assassinating all of the figureheads)

Fuck Everything Forever
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,110
when rupe dies things will change, but i hope this causes a massive dent
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510
good work on the investigation, but what an incredibly long boring read.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,110
probably a twitter version around for you mate
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
Or a shitter version:

http://www.getshitter.com/
lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106
Funny. I haven't seen anything at the Australian about this?!?
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,958
Well Penberthy reckons it's bullshit and he's about as impartial as you can get

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/...ooks/#item8133
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
Abziie +

Times thanked
< 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

I only skimmed it, but he didnt adress or debunk any of the points raised by the AFR or the BBC. All he said was 'they lie' 'courts/auditor/internal investigation absolved us'....that line of defence worked well, for years, in the case of hackgate.

If anyone has been defamed, they should take it up with the courts. if they dont, why not? Hiding something?
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 512

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

I was just coming in to post that - I love Penbo's description of the AFR as "an obscure trade journal for rich people who collect cufflinks". Under your skin, much, Penbo?
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,958

Quote:

Originally Posted by legal-affairs View Post

I was just coming in to post that - I love Penbo's description of the AFR as "an obscure trade journal for rich people who collect cufflinks". Under your skin, much, Penbo?

battlers rag playing the battlers card... Who's this Murdoch bloke anyway? Some small businessman I presume? Bloody
Labor and the cultural elite picking on the middle class again.
Weinertron +

Times thanked
< 926
MOAR hot air

http://www.theage.com.au/world/briti...501-1xx93.html

Quote:

British MPs slam Murdoch on phone hacking
Karen Kissane
May 1, 2012 - 9:05PM
Read later

UK lawmakers deem Murdoch unfit to lead
Rupert Murdoch is unfit to run a major international company, according to a powerful British parliamentary committee.
Autoplay OnOffVideo feedbackVideo settings
Media magnate Rupert Murdoch was not a fit person to run a major international company, a committee of British MPs inquiring into phone hacking has concluded.

The select committee on the media released a report [PDF/1MB] last night that also found:

♦ News International had deliberately tried to cover up hacking

♦ Its executives misled the committee over phone-hacking and some might face contempt-of-parliament charges

♦ It was "astonishing" that James Murdoch had not known of hacking earlier and his alleged ignorance raised questions about his competence.

The committee said of Rupert Murdoch, chairman and chief executive officer of News Corporation, that in not taking steps to become fully informed about phone-hacking at his London newspapers, "he turned a blind eye and exhibited willful blindness ...

"This culture, we consider, permeated from the top … and speaks volumes about the lack of effective corporate governance at News Corporation and [its British arm] News International.

"We conclude, therefore, that Rupert Murdoch is not a fit person to exercise the stewardship of a major international company."

The phrase "fit person" is significant because British media regulator Ofcom is investigating whether News Corporation is fit to hold the licence to run satellite broadcaster BSkyB.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/world/briti...#ixzz1tf8bmiFP

He'll be dead by the time anyone does something about it.
Fuck Everything Forever
lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106
“News International and its parent News Corporation exhibited wilful blindness, for which the companies’ directors – including Rupert Murdoch and James Murdoch – should ultimately take responsibility,” it said. “Their instinct throughout, until it was too late, was to cover up rather than seek out wrongdoing and discipline the perpetrators. Even if there were a ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ culture at News International, the whole affair demonstrates huge failings of corporate governance at the company and its parent, News Corporation."

yet somehow the only article in the Australian has managed to turn the headline around to read
"House of Commons media committee rejects attack on Murdoch as 'not fit' "

studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375

...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
lowkey well the whole "not fit" bit is the most important bit, this is grounds to block his BSkyB deal.

The chance of him copping Contempt of Parliament charges is also pretty big news as it may lead to him facing charges in the USA too under their laws that prosecute US businessmen for corruption and crimes committed in other countries.
weekender +

Times thanked
< 468
This young filly was on the select committee into Murdoch. Tory totty Lousie Mensch.
She was one of the Conservatives that said the conclusion that Murdoch was "unfit to head a global corporation" was beyong the remit of the select committee and shouldn't have been made public. Hence The Australian's take on things.

"Old enough to know better"
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by legal-affairs View Post

From what I see in airport lounges it's readership is mainly overweight middle managers who wish they could afford to collect cufflinks.
timmyd1200 +

Times thanked
< 1
not sure about everyone else but the enws of the world story tl me is getting old and boring
Weinertron +

Times thanked
< 926
Awesome. I assume you will now refrain from posting in this thread again if it is that boring.

I, on the other hand, cannot wait to see whether News Ltd. gets toppled because of this stuff.

Roll on contempt of Parliament!
Fuck Everything Forever
lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyd1200 View Post

not sure about everyone else but the enws of the world story tl me is getting old and boring

nah, its just getting interesting.
I watched the Leveson inquiry last friday evening and it was very interesting. Watched the first 2 hours of Rebekah Brookes being questioned...fairly steady and methodical questioning by Robert Jay, getting her talkingh and making her feel comfortable.

Then popped in the DVD of pinapple express i got from the video store and watched it

Then back to the Leveson Inquiry and Rebekah Brookes can turned into a bumbling imbocile. Her hair had gone beserk, she was agitated and clearly didnt want to be there anymore. Jay would say something like "now lets return to what you said earlier..." and started asking follow up questions that by this time she could answer either way or she would be shown to be lying. Her only defence was to fall back on the "i cant remember" trick, which made her look completely stupid.

She even tried to say she couldnt remember if David Cameron came to her 40th birthday party "It was a surprise party, i was overwhelmed and cant really remember" or something along those lines

She denied having enough forsight to predict that publishing the names of people previously convicted of peadophilia, who had served their sentences and been released, might cause public outrage and voilent attackes on them...which happened. Or that some of her readership were so stupid they didnt know the difference between a peadophile and a peadiatrician and after being outraged by what they read in the Sun went and killed the peadiatrician instead [maybe that would be hard to predict, but she wouldnt even admit her line of outrageous headlines had anything to do with it!

She denied being part of the BskyB bid. "I held no formal position on the bid team" despite the fact that she admitted meeting Murdoch many times to discuss that tactics and timing of the bid and how to cover the story in her papers

...anyway...far from boring.
looking forward to Gordon Brown and David Cameron being called!
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375

...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
Page 3 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »