House, Techno and Progressive

the techno big guns who haven't evolved in the last 10 years

Page 1 of 3
  Tools
Radic +

Times thanked
< 12
the techno big guns who haven't evolved in the last 10 years
with so much change in techno within the last 10 years, which of the big name producers/ dj's do you feel haven't made the transition too well?

I think someone like Dave Clarke has totally lost it compared to what he was doing 10 years ago. His sets used to take you to another place (if you were a fan of his style that is) but over the last 7 or 8 years i just keep downloading his sets and get bored with them quickly. Maybe the style of produced techno tracks these days don't really suit his style of mixing.
Soundcloud
My old art page CHECK IT OUT!!!!!
New techno mx up on Youtube. CHECK IT OUT!!!!
patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
< 2,293
joey beltram
MissAnge +

She has the blood of reptile just underneath her skin..

Times thanked
< 863
adam beyer
...what does that even mean?!
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,008
Marco Carola, Joris Voorn.
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Times thanked
< 931
Thomas Schumacher
Fuck Everything Forever
dj Hi-Shock +

Times thanked
< 20
Sven Vath
:: DJ Hi-Shock on Beatport
:: Advanced Human on Beatport
:: My trax/mixes on Soundcloud
:: Elektrax Music labels
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Times thanked
< 931
Then again, I haven't really enjoyed the direction techno has taken in the past 10 years anyway***, so I guess I can lump all the greats in there

***exceptions apply
Fuck Everything Forever
Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
< 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by primalstatik View Post

Marco Carola, Joris Voorn.

I'd go the other way and say they've evolved a lot, it's just they mostly suck now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

definedbyrhythm +

Disconnect yourself

Times thanked
< 199
All of the above
http://soundcloud.com/definedbyrhythm

26/01: STRAMM pres. A Night with Defined By Rhythm (5 hours)
20/03: Tresor, Berlin
Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
< 507
Ben Sims, but that's for the better IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

muse +

Times thanked
< 266
I wish Ludovic Navarre would evolve back to techno
thylakoid +

Times thanked
< 29
Richie Hawtin
Instant Sam +

Times thanked
< 21
I wouldn't say Richie has been doing nothing in last 10 years. He put out the Transitions album and more recently has been doing that Plastickman live show thing which i never saw but heard was awesome. Guess it depends on what you mean by "evolve".

He's been constantly djing but when was the last time Derrick May released anything?
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,008
Aril Brikha.
muse +

Times thanked
< 266

Quote:

Originally Posted by Instant Sam View Post

I wouldn't say Richie has been doing nothing in last 10 years. He put out the Transitions album and more recently has been doing that Plastickman live show thing which i never saw but heard was awesome. Guess it depends on what you mean by "evolve".

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 2,991
2 unlimited promised techno, techno, techno. where are they now?
soundcloud
mixcloud
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 270
Interesting topic.

Clarke, Beyer are the two guys who have not evolved and it has turned out for the worse. Ben Sims is another who doesn't do much differently as a DJ although I find him more listenable. In fairness to Sims that LP from last year was contemporary stuff.

Someone like Adam-X probably hasn't evolved that much but things have gone his way.

Has Jeff Mills been doing the same thing all this time or is it just that it is getting a little less interesting by the year?

May is an interesting one. As a producer he simply hasn't done anything but as a DJ he seems to be as relevant as ever.

Carola, Hawtin, Schumacher, Vath and Voorn have evolved, I think what people are saying is that they simply suck these days.
My mixes:

Bruno Orso’s Sunrise Over Tocumwal, 28 January 2012
Track list

Orso's Sounds of the Tunnel Vol 1, December 2013

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 27-Apr-12 at 05:09pm

thylakoid +

Times thanked
< 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno from Burwood View Post

Interesting topic.

Clarke, Beyer are the two guys who have not evolved and it has turned out for the worse. Ben Sims is another who doesn't do much differently as a DJ although I find him more listenable. In fairness to Sims that LP from last year was contemporary stuff.

Someone like Adam-X probably hasn't evolved that much but he things have gone his way.

Has Jeff Mills been doing the same thing all this time or is it just that it is getting a little less interesting by the year?

May is an interesting one. As a producer he simply hasn't done anything but as a DJ he seems to be as relevant as ever.

Carola, Hawtin, Schumacher, Vath and Voorn have evolved, I think what people are saying is that they simply suck these days.

Well articulated Bruno. By dropping Richie's name into the mix here I was voicing my opinion that since the dizzy heights of Plus 8 and Plastikman in the nineties, Hawtin hasn't built on that awesomeness and in the majority of cases, taken huge leaps backwards. I must admit that I'm not familiar with his new Plastikman show content, however, dudes like Sven, Richie and Ricardo in my opinion have become some of the most bland, dull-as-dogshit performers about these days.
muse +

Times thanked
< 266
Go see Plastikman Live and then you can comment on modern Richie

I didn't dig much of his mid-career stuff at all apart from one quite awesome 12" from the transitions project

Plastikman Live is, well i ran out of adjectives a long time ago. Catch it if you ever have the chance.
muse +

Times thanked
< 266
btw I am not being a pain in the ass, but it felt like (to me) that the live show was something his career has been building towards since it began.

so...i think it's unfair to judge unless you have seen it
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 270
Strictly commenting on Hawtin as a DJ.

As Plastikman, from what I've heard (I haven't witness it) he hasn't really changed too much. Fortunately for him the evolution of techno and its embracing harder, rave/industrial and acid type sounds has worked in his favour. Plastikman it has not dated a bit - the inevitable debate about his relevance that some will want to have is another matter entirely.
My mixes:

Track list

retfdsggg +

Times thanked
< 2
Thanks for sharing.
Zer0Cool +

Times thanked
< 39
Dave has def evolved, the problem is that techno has also evolved and now sounds totally different to what it did 10 years ago.
sounds_echoed +

stasis is death. see you on the other side.

Times thanked
< 318
These are the guys I think have not evolved or evolved for the worse.

Richie Hawtin not Plastikman, Sven Vath, Adam Beyer, Joris Voorn, Marco Carola, Stacey Pullen, Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson.
Radic +

Times thanked
< 12
i'm surprised richie hawtin even got a mention cuz what he's doing dj wise is pretty contemporary stuff. Sure his music isn't as rocking as it once was but he's right up there in the modern game IMO. The legend of Hawtin continues to grow as he's definitely made that transition to the modern game quite comfortably. The newer generation of clubbers love him.
Soundcloud
My old art page CHECK IT OUT!!!!!
New techno mx up on Youtube. CHECK IT OUT!!!!
rezok +

Times thanked
< 12
Will call people on Sims and Carola.

Both last times I saw them (Carola in Melbourne, Sims O/S) they absolutely CANED!

Clarke was the first that came to mind that has sort of gone silent.
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 270
Cari Lekebusch
My mixes:

Track list

emulator +

arrogant prick

Times thanked
< 131
Interesting topic.

Evolution is change across generations, often in order to adapt/survive to the environment, or directly because of the environment.

Carola sucked the last two times I saw him (once at Stereosonic in Syd, and in the USA last year). Maybe Carola's (d)evolution is due to shitty standards perpetuated by the new generations of music listening/clubbing masses (the environment?)

Mill's music and aesthetic has become more conceptually sophisticated over time. While he's perhaps less broadly relevant now than he used to be, to many he's just as important a figure. He's evolved to survive in an environment with more specific conditions. If you're into Darwinism, then he's evolved enough to avoid natural selection.

Though by that definition, than so have all the others because they're still getting gigs and we're talking about them.
{strange signals}
patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
< 2,293
mills is still the king
truba +

Times thanked
< 112
damn right he is, new one released this year

http://hardwax.com/65229/

Last edited by truba: 01-May-12 at 06:28am

JamRock +

Haus-Boat cruise with Ian Pooley - Good Friday! :)

Times thanked
< 218
Plenty of peeps I find less inspiring these days, including Marco Carola and one of my former faves, Valentino Kanzyani. I almost gave up on Umek for a while when he went quite minimal/electro-housey but Im again digging his output with his big room style party beats.

I think Beyer & Liebing have both evolved with their sound but still stayed true to their roots. Carola gave it all up and went minimal. The more banging djs such as Dave Clarke and Space DJs have had trouble adjusting to slower bpms etc.

And does anyone know what happened to Gaetek / Gaetano Parisio? Used to love both his productions and dj sets, and then almost dropped off the face of the Earth. Occasional bits pop up on Beatport but that's about it.
>>> FUNKAGENDA >> TECHPHONICS > FRI 24 JAN > MR KIM'S

> Playing tech tunes every Tuesday, 6pm-8pm (Adelaide time) on www.soundpond.net
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,008
Ah Umek, now there is someone who went to absolute shit. From releasing some serious bombs with Valentino as Recycled Loops, to white noise tech house. Gave him a chance at Creamfields last year, lasted two tracks in before I had to go to the toilet to throw up.
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 860
Posting to reiterate Umek's shitness these days

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

TECHiONE +

Times thanked
< 75
Speaking of Dave Clarke,

I saw him play at Mysteryland outside Amsterdam last year. He followed on from Marcel Dettmann, James Ruskin and Speedy J [Live] in the same Electric Deluxe tent.

I have to say everything about Dave Clarke's set in comparison to the guys prior, just sounded so dated, and stuck in the past; the fast tempo, the rapid fire of banging noise tracks, with no memorable quality, no depth, all cut up, scratched up, and effected continually. I felt quite bored by it all.

Back in 1997 when I saw him play for the first time, those skills and tricks blew my mind, but in 2011 they just seemed to annoy me.

I respect that people like Dave Clarke and Ben Sims have stayed true to their sound/style, but yeah it's not helping them move forward is it?

My taste in music has certainly changed over time, and I like to think 'moved forward' since back then.

Speedy J, after all these years, and seeing him play numerous times before, still really impresses me, what an amazing live set, such a dynamic ride through a vast array of next level sounds, I was completely lost in the music, dancing up a storm, detached from thought, and I was clean and sober that day, a criminal offence in Amsterdam I know.
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 2,991
Umek has definitley evolved.

into a pile of shit

Its interesting that someone like Jeff Mills is still relevent. He has not evolved at all, he still plays/produces that same distinct mills sound he did 10 years ago.
But his lengendary status and techincal skills override that
soundcloud
mixcloud
emulator +

arrogant prick

Times thanked
< 131
Cari gets the latest CLR podcast - http://www.clr.net/news.pl?id=238&inline=1
{strange signals}
emulator +

arrogant prick

Times thanked
< 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by special ed View Post

Its interesting that someone like Jeff Mills is still relevent. He has not evolved at all, he still plays/produces that same distinct mills sound he did 10 years ago.
But his lengendary status and techincal skills override that

That's not exactly true. It's distinct, but it's not the same. The tempos are lower, it's more subtle and perhaps somewhat more textured. I wouldn't say I've been blown away by all of his recent sets that I've heard, but he's more than capable of surprising me and doing it in a way totally different to some of the more popular 'evolved' techno DJs. A true master.
{strange signals}
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
Whoa lots of Umek hate

> Playing tech tunes every Tuesday, 6pm-8pm (Adelaide time) on www.soundpond.net
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 2,991
i used to love recycled loops, now he does toolroom records compilations with Mark Knight ffs!
soundcloud
mixcloud
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
His 1605 label has some solid tracks on there

rezok +

Times thanked
< 12
Saw Cari at the same event last year as Sims and both were epic.

Concur also on Speedy J still being God but this is a hate thread. So I too will vote Umek.
Yorke Hunt +

Times thanked
< 46
half of my fave artists are in this thread

May Mix Available Now: http://soundcloud.com/yorkehunt/yorke-hunt-may-2010
soundcloud.com/yorkehunt : twitter.com/yorkehunt : facebook.com/yorkehunt : myspace.com/yorkehunt
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
^^ Most big techno artists who have been around for more than 5 years are listed in this thread

I saw Jeff Mills 18 months ago at Stereosonic and found him pretty uninspiring. Pretty much the same tunes and style he's been playing for years, but much more mellow.

Derrick May last week in Adelaide played a great set. There were a few classics thrown in there, but predominantly tunes I'd never heard before. You could certainly classify the tunes broadly as Detroit-esque, but it was far from a set of Detroit classics from the 90s. I thought it all sounded as current as ever!

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 270
I wouldn't say that it is "most" of the big names who have been around since the 90s haven't evolved.

The first thing that came to my mind was that there seem to be as many guys whose own evolutions seems to have been instrumental in driving change in techno (e.g. Liebing, Speedy J, Regis, Surgeon and Hood). In fairness to Vath and Hawtin they were also significant players in exposing broader markets to minimal sounds.

As late as 2008 Vath was still banging out really good minimal/techno sets. In my opinion (which seems similar to others) the identity of the music he was playing was subsumed by bland, uninspired music which seems aimed at maintaining the popularity of club/label brands. It is why Vath is on the nose here.
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 02-May-12 at 10:37am

cmontyc +

Times thanked
< 118
i think it comes down to personal taste really, sims for instance has not changed or evolved but i still rate as one of the best dj;s in the world same as mills ,speedy j, adam x and the list goes on.
beyer i use to love but i dont anymore so does that mean he has not evolved
and cari hasnt changed .... really, i think his style has changed the most out of the lists from above

also agree on the umek front , i have about 30 records at home he produced i would still listen too but cant stand what he produces now
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,008
The only thing about Sims that hasn't changed (and I hope never does) is his mixing style. He still plays on a funky, tribal tip, but he certainly is playing a lot of current techno out there so he hasn't become stale. Such a fucking machine on 3 decks.
weekender +

Times thanked
< 484
Re: The Baron of Techno... his Fabric 60 mix hinted at a more electro* sound and really it's something he should push more, imho. Agreed his straight up techno sets are indistinguishable at times from 1994 to 2011. (Still fun mind, in the right frame of mind)

But as posted above, someone like Surgeon is a sparkling example of having a distinct sound/ style and yet one that is constantly developing and evolving.
"Old enough to know better"
emulator +

arrogant prick

Times thanked
< 131
Actually, Rob Hood. He's a great DJ, enjoyed him the last two times he played here, but it was pretty much 1994 - 2004 140bpm techno.
{strange signals}
patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
< 2,293
^ you say that like it's a bad thing. i'd take that over any modern day techno
deepbeetzz +

Extension.666

Times thanked
< 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by weekender View Post

But as posted above, someone like Surgeon is a sparkling example of having a distinct sound/ style and yet one that is constantly developing and evolving.

Beat me too it, Surgeon is the prime example of how to evolve, stay relevant, and quiet frankly, stay freakin awesome, in the techno genre. His on my list of must see this year, hoping that he makes it to our shores that it.
soundcloud
Page 1 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »