The DJ Booth

Young DJ in Brisbane

Tools
BrisbaneDJ96 +

Times thanked
< 0
Young DJ in Brisbane
Hey,
I'm a 16 year old DJ in brisbane. Been mixing for around a year now. I play on dns-1200's and a behringer nox202. I play a lot of house parties for people around my age group. BUT i'm sick of the younger crowds. I enjoy a lot of genres like trance, prog house, electro and sometimes dubstep. I love playing this kinda music and i'm sick of drunk teenagers coming up to me and asking me to play akon, rihanna and whatever shits on the radio.

I wanna start playing more mature crowds who can appreciate that kind of music. Any help to point me in that direction would be hugely appreciated!

Last edited by BrisbaneDJ96: 01-May-12 at 07:36pm

Reason: spelling

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
< 749

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrisbaneDJ96 View Post

I enjoy a lot of genders

┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
< 1,472
^
Hard to play licensed venues when you aren't 18. Playing to older crowds won't protect you from requests for shit music either. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_xt View Post

^
Hard to play licensed venues when you aren't 18. Playing to older crowds won't protect you from requests for shit music either. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

It's probably worse with older crowds.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
J0rdz +

Tewnnnnz

Times thanked
< 1,260
Get your character's level up to 18, then you'll be safe to head into the 4th act. Should be sweet from there.
| DJ | Facebook | Twitter | Blog | Substance |
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
< 103
Yeah unfortunately Brisbane has absolutely no underage scene these days (since the old rave days anyway), I would reccomend working your ass off until your old enough to play at a licenced venue then you will have a major advantage. Even then depending on what style you are looking at playing Brisbane has a really strange scene to break into.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
BrisbaneDJ96 +

Times thanked
< 0
ok, guess another two years then, thanks for your help guys, appreciate it
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 2,970
agreed use this time to improve your skills, find your own style. then when you're old enough get some promos to as many places as you can

use these crap gigs as a chance to learn the fine art of saying "sorry, what song do you want?.... sorry what?..... yeah, its too loud i cant hear what you're asking... sorry" *back to djing*
soundcloud
mixcloud
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
< 1,472
* cue said requester interpreting this as a sign to lean in closer and continue spitting request at you forcing you to smell their breath reeking of booze and smokes.
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 2,970
you say it like thats a bad thing, what if requester is a drunk slut?

hot
soundcloud
mixcloud
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245
Who said you can't play in a club unless you're 18?
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
Kent +

Times thanked
< 19
Perhaps one could do so in the presence of a 'responsible' adult, staying away from the bar service and gaming areas?

"Mum ... hurry up I've got to get to work!"
stuff
b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skerik View Post

Who said you can't play in a club unless you're 18?

The promoter when he sees your guest list.
Wats clubing by yourself like and dose enyone do it
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by special ed View Post

agreed use this time to improve your skills, find your own style. then when you're old enough get some promos to as many places as you can

use these crap gigs as a chance to learn the fine art of saying "sorry, what song do you want?.... sorry what?..... yeah, its too loud i cant hear what you're asking... sorry" *back to djing*

THIS...

oh and try out:

- "sorry i just played that"
- "management have banned that track"
- "yea ill play it in 3 songs..."
-"i did have that song, but the CD broke"
Tech-One
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_bop View Post

The promoter when he sees your guest list.

Well played sir, well played
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
DJLACHLANCARR +

Times thanked
< 0
I'm 14 and I'm pretty sure it will be hard for me to break into the scene playing tech/deep house
Tha Gooch +

wut wut

Times thanked
< 101
i would just be stoked to be getting to play any sort of party if you are u/18

just enjoy it - you will look back on these house party days in the future with a smile im sure
Kent +

Times thanked
< 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJLACHLANCARR View Post

I'm 14 and I'm pretty sure it will be hard for me to break into the scene playing tech/deep house

Welcome aboard young fella.
stuff
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
< 83
I'd start by making mixtapes to hand out to mates, clubs and whoever is happy to listen. Reckon it's worth making yourself known in the DJ world in Brisbane as much as you can (online is your friend here) - so that when you are old enough for bars/clubs you already have the contacts.

It's also worth remembering that over 18 clubs aren't the only places where DJs play. Of course there's raves, but also 'bush doofs' (parties out in the bush with plenty of psytrance, techno, electro etc) and also events at universities, community events etc.

As for house parties, remember that some can actually be awesome, but the underage thing can be annoying - however, in 'clubland' there's plenty of annoying places with top 40, commercial stuff which you probably aren't into as well as underground clubs. It all depends if you want to get into the commercial (and more $$$ side of things) or the underground, usually for the love of music.

You can always put on your own parties as well - find out who in the local scene runs a sound system, grab some other DJ mates, find a basement, shed or open field and start your own thing (anything's possible if you give it a go)!
Dragon Dreaming Festival - 25-27 October @ Canberra - Prog/Psytrance

Soliton Drop Festival - 10-12 January @ NSW - Prog/Psytrance

Hard NV - 1 February - @NV Nightclub, Canberra - Hard Techno

Brotherhood - 8 February @Canberra Warehouse - Techno/Trance

Kazuki.com.au
Conor- +

Incorrectly using the semi colon; since 1996

Times thanked
< 1,396
Get a soundcloud

Make sure everyone knows that you DJ, or produce, but don't parade it. 16 year olds can be harsh that way

Find a gender genre which you can be known for - this will set you up for when you do turn 18. Mine is Chicago, Paris, Detroit. They work pretty well together. Try what you like

That my plan, and I haven't failed, yet.

Last edited by Conor-: 15-May-12 at 11:05am

JackSondrio +

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrisbaneDJ96 View Post

Hey,
I'm a 16 year old DJ in brisbane. Been mixing for around a year now. I play on dns-1200's and a behringer nox202. I play a lot of house parties for people around my age group. BUT i'm sick of the younger crowds. I enjoy a lot of genres like trance, prog house, electro and sometimes dubstep. I love playing this kinda music and i'm sick of drunk teenagers coming up to me and asking me to play akon, rihanna and whatever shits on the radio.

I wanna start playing more mature crowds who can appreciate that kind of music. Any help to point me in that direction would be hugely appreciated!

Hey man, I started at your age in Canberra. Believe me when I say house parties are a part of the journey and you should keep doing it. It's crap putting up with requests but if you try and edge the party crowds closer to your sound (especially if its people from your year at school your playing to each time) you'll quickly learn the art of taking the crowd on a journey. Learning to make bootlegs is a great way to meet your crowd halfway (acapellas of the songs they want to hear over the instrumentals of yours)

Ultimately you need to wait till your 18 before you can try and seek out a residency but I had people constantly telling me that would take me years after I was 18. Keep an eye out of any competitions that might be happening around the city and if any of them say 18+, talk the the owners about bringing a older friend or even one of your parents along so your allowed to play. I ended up taking out one of those competitions when i was 16, paving the way to a residency at an underage night, playing with A-Trak & Tiga when I was 17 and getting a residency in the biggest club a few months after I turned 18. Preserving is key to everything in life man so just keep on the look out for anything you can do and keep sending demos to clubs so by the time your 18 they will know exactly who you are.
BrisbaneDJ96 +

Times thanked
< 0
Thanks man, I'd never stop doing house parties, your right some of them are great! Would you be able to give some tips on making a demo cd: how long, how many tracks, what type of tracks ???
Conor- +

Incorrectly using the semi colon; since 1996

Times thanked
< 1,396
Just try 30 minute ones, because they won't have a large attention span.

A) Try tracks that they will like, but not necesarily know. Understand?

B) Try to sneak a few of your specialties in there, with some crowd pleasers.

C) Go full out for your style and hope they'll catch the bug
stubs +

0.o

Times thanked
< 100
lulz
year13.com.au
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
If any promoter checks out your demo (which they won't usually), the most they will do is read the track list...

So make it what you play, make it interesting, and aim it at the places/promoters you giving the demo to.
Tech-One

« Previous Thread Next Thread »