Gaming, Computers, Phones, and Gadgets

Gaming Headsets

Tools
trAse +

He'll never be an old man rafter

Times thanked
< 13,965
Gaming Headsets
I'm sure I've seen these threads before, but search turned up nothing.

Anyway, broke my good ol' SG Gaming headphones that I've had for 10 years this morning, had a look on the Razor site and became pretty confused. Was hoping that I could get some feedback from headsets that you use? Not after anything fancy, decent sound, decent mic, volume control/other stuff is just a bonus - not required.
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
Dante +

noided noided

Times thanked
< 1,214
Turtle Beach PX5 if you have optical out from your PC and a bluetooth connection. Also works on PS3 and Xbox.

If no optical you can run a stereo pair of RCA into it, but it's only in stereo then.
trAse +

Times thanked
< 13,965
Looks good, but it seems like there's a jump from around $100 to $250 wherever I look. Can I save $100 to still get the same quality sound as a $200+ pair, by just sacrificing the fancy cajiggers?
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
Dante +

noided noided

Times thanked
< 1,214
Depends if you want (fake) 7.1 or not. It's mega impressive though, I played a few racers using them and lost my shit at the immersion. It's not necessary, but with games with location based audio, it's mega useful.

Turtle Beach headsets are pretty pro though. Just watch out, some of them have horribly convoluted input cable rigs if they work on PC and consoles.
trAse +

Times thanked
< 13,965
Ah, good tip thanks.

So I would think that 7.1 is application dependant? Maybe I'll do some investigation of the games that I actually play and find an appropriate model.
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
The Duke +

better resolution than the real world

Times thanked
< 469
I'm currently using Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 which I'm pretty happy with (about $149 I think). You'll find a fair few people on various forums praising them for gaming due to their clarity and sound staging. However there's no mic, so you'll need to work out your own setup for mic - some people use a clip-on mic, a desk mic, some modify the ATH-AD700 to attach a boom mic etc. I've got a bluetooth mic hanging around my neck when needed.

Some things to note besides no mic - it's not very bassy if that's what your after; it's an open headset - meaning there's small sound leak, no real isolation from outside noise, but an open headset can be more comfortable and apparently is good for sound quality; while the product photos of the headset make it look like it's a purple and gold colour, it's really pink and gold; no in-line volume control.

For one that includes a mic headphones.com.au recommend this -
Beyerdynamic MMX2 $119 - includes mic; closed headset; in-line volume control
http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=382
_______
Flickr
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,106
^^ what mic do you have? I use my technics 1200's which i really like, but have the same issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

The Duke +

Times thanked
< 469
I'll find out the model when I get home and let you know. Basically it's just a mic with a thin headband - instead of the headband going over my head, I wear it around my neck. Something like this -

One issue for me - with the headband around my neck, I think I'm not turning my head very often (because I bump the headband) and I end up getting a stiff neck after a while of gaming.

Some people on whirlpool forums recommend a clip-on mic. Example: Zalman Mic-M1 clipped onto a headphone cable -

There's mixed comments on clip-on mics though - some people seem to have no problems, but others complain that it picks up a lot of background noise. I can't remember the proper term, but basically clip-on mics are usually very sensitive and pick up a lot of nearby sounds. They usually about $10-$20 so it maybe worth a try.

I've been tempted to stick a boom mic onto my headphones like this -

Thread with some details for this mod - http://www.head-fi.org/t/446329/frag...0-boom-mic-mod
Similar but more professionally done mod - http://www.head-fi.org/t/490831/my-e...0-boom-mic-mod

I think there's one or two others on ITM with a similar situation, and they're using a USB Desktop mic sitting infront of them while they use their headphones.
Logitech USB Desktop mic
_______
Flickr

Last edited by The Duke: 18-Apr-12 at 03:52pm

The Duke +

Times thanked
< 469

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

^^ what mic do you have? I use my technics 1200's which i really like, but have the same issue.

It's a Jabra M5390 bluetooth headset. It's not so much the mic but the headband attachment that's handy for this setup

Here's the headband attachment. So I just have that around my neck and the mic point up to my mouth
_______
Flickr
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
I went through this dilemma a while ago. I just bought a nice pair of Beyerdynamics and use my webcam as the mic. Works great for me. The more I read about 7.1/5.1 headphones the more I didnt want a pair.
trAse +

Times thanked
< 13,965
Maybe I'll just get the gimmicky Starcraft headphones
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
< 503
Do Itttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
latest track
MadMike +

Times thanked
< 3,864
Love my Logitech G930s.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|
meldavid +

I used to be a raver like you, but then I took a kick to the knee.

Times thanked
< 630
Sennheiser HD 800. You know you deserve it.
trAse +

Times thanked
< 13,965

Quote:

Originally Posted by meldavid View Post

Sennheiser HD 800. You know you deserve it.

$1.4k? I don't think I've been that much of a good boy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMike View Post

Love my Logitech G930s.

They look pretty solid, decent price. But not a massive fan of wireless, is the wired comparison the G35?
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
jaebles +

makin' a pizzzzaaaa

Times thanked
< 150
The G930's look good to me. Docking station would be annoying if you forget to charge I guess, but you can plug them in so you can charge while playing right?
For all your umbrella needs!
trAse +

Times thanked
< 13,965
Looked on a few sites but couldn't find much specific info on the 930's. So they have a base station that they communicate wirelessly to over 2.4? Are the batteries internal/recharable?
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
jaebles +

makin' a pizzzzaaaa

Times thanked
< 150
Looks like you get a charging cradle, 10 hours playtime per charge. I would assume they're replaceable though.
jaebles +

makin' a pizzzzaaaa

Times thanked
< 150
Checked the website for the part, yes replacement parts, replacement charging cradle are available
trAse +

Times thanked
< 13,965
Oh ok and it communicates to the base station wirelessly? I don't need anything dumb like Bluetooth?
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
jaebles +

makin' a pizzzzaaaa

Times thanked
< 150
Yeah, looks like it all goes through the base station, which connects to your machine via USB (for charging etc).

Not a bad setup to be honest.
trAse +

Times thanked
< 13,965
Cheers, ended up buying it. All the product descriptions were so airy-fairy about how mind blowing the sound was, just wanted to know about how it actually works...
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
jaebles +

makin' a pizzzzaaaa

Times thanked
< 150
Where'd you buy yours from? I'm thinking about getting one too.
trAse +

Times thanked
< 13,965
PC Case Gear, didn't really do a price comparison but seemed on par from what I was seeing through Google.
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
B_e_de +

It's more fun if you just follow the script

Times thanked
< 7,331
Well what are you gonna do about it, trase?
trAse +

Times thanked
< 13,965

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_e_de View Post

Well what are you gonna do about it, trase?

ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
trAse +

Times thanked
< 13,965
Update: they are awesome.
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
Yergg +

I am a **** ALL the time

Times thanked
< 2,498
God damn you are ugly, Wanna make out ?
jaebles +

makin' a pizzzzaaaa

Times thanked
< 150
Fuck, now I'm going to have to order one.
trAse +

Times thanked
< 13,965
After a week I can't fault it, batteries seem to last ok - but charging them isn't a hassle so I don't notice.

Only comment I have is that when I'm talking on VOIP I can't hear my own voice through my ears correctly, and feel like I'm yelling.
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ

« Previous Thread Next Thread »