Music News

Do circle pits have a place in dance music?

Tools
angy +

DEFQON.1!!!!!!!!!!!

Times thanked
< 244
That's hilarious - I never thought I'd see the day we'd be talking about "circle pits" in dance music. The "BPM" argument might have something to it, but stil not sure if I buy it. You don't see people moshing at DnB gigs do you? ;)
grattan +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3
Can't wait for the brostep stage at Soundwave next year.
mitchpk +

Times thanked
< 6
At shows like Chase and Status, or the Prodigy, and even Skrillex and Nero - I've had a whole lot of fun in the 'mosh.' And even at metal and punk shows, the mosh is actually surprisingly friendly: you get knocked over, someone picks you up - some guy smacks you in the face, he'll come over and check on you at the end of the set. I'm sure not all are like this, but I think if the appropriate music and venue calls for it, then why not? The people who hate this kind of music shouldn't even be at these gigs so why do they care in the first place?
Tim D +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 10
Interesting topic JackieT
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
< 1,902
Is this the further de-volution of personal space at dance gigs?
sarahanne +

Times thanked
< 14
If Guetta remixed Lamb Of God I think this could happen.
C-Yee +

has lost his beloved ipod. RIP.

Times thanked
< 0
Interesting and cool.
Yeahmate +

Times thanked
< 0
lack of MDMA and increase in amphetamines in pills is the answer... People are wired at festivals Now
Killfile +

Times thanked
< 0
I actually did see some idiots start to mosh when ShockOne was playing at Villa last week. Bouncers shut that crap down quick smart.
xeonfuze +

Times thanked
< 1
As a metalhead, this goes out to all fans of electronic music: Stick to your culture, and we'll stick to ours. Circle pits do not work well with your kind of music. They're both entirely different in how they evoke emotion, hence the reason why you respond differently (physically speaking). This idea is ridiculous, and it's not even a valid question. It's not even a matter of opinion, it's a matter of what works and what doesn't. Fair enough if you want to be a stupid fucking hipster and refuse to conform, but consider the phrase "the nail that sticks up gets hit with the hammer".
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
pffft, show me a mnml circle pit and I'll consider it a thing.
thechunk +

Times thanked
< 4
the word 'dance' music is getting pretty broad these days

i doubt its the BPM and more so the crowd that once listen to 'x' music now is dabbling in 'dance' music.
one thing is for certain, id like to see them keep up a moshpit at true dance event(9pm-6am) over these rock dance events (7:30-11pm)
sonicc +

>O__/ QuACK >O__/ QuACK >O__/ QuACK

Times thanked
< 3,319

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahanne View Post

If Guetta remixed Lamb Of God I think this could happen.

I prefer his mix of Cannibal Corpse Vs Bob Sinclar - Love Genocide (Fuck Me Im Brainless Mix)

Derp
Cats are not actually smaller than horses, they are just further away - ITM PROVERB
angy +

DEFQON.1!!!!!!!!!!!

Times thanked
< 244
As a metal fan in my youth (and still today), I reckon a lot of the US style dubstep has a lot in common, in terms of its energy, with metal and hard rock. So I don't think your comments are entirely valid xeonfuze, I'd never wanna fucking mosh at a dance gig, but it's not totally hard for me to understand.
Morecowbell +

Times thanked
< 68
I feel like the 'festivalisation' of dance music has contributed to this. Bunches of near-naked, 'roided-out sweaty dudes getting heavy handed with each other. It's as bad as it sounds. This is why I love deep and tech house and techno. People instinctively know how to dance to it. Your personal space is respected accordingly.
consensualrapist +

Times thanked
< 4
Couldn't agree more with what james blake had to say about bro-step, but it's not the music's fault for the way people react. At the end of the day people are shitty at people, because people are shitty.
anneliese123 +

Times thanked
< 0
Watching UKF's live stream of Noisia right now, this article is all too relevant. Interesting phenomenon...
Royal +

Times thanked
< 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by xeonfuze View Post

As a metalhead, this goes out to all fans of electronic music: Stick to your culture, and we'll stick to ours.

Perhaps you should remind your metal bretheren whom seem to think they can now make electronic dance music to go back to where they came from then.

Anyway, moshing is for people who have no rhythm and can't dance.
SANDSHREW +

I AM A TERRORIST BOYFRIEND BEFORE EATING SHIT

Times thanked
< 114
ROLLING IN THE DERP
Twizard +

Life is like a bowl of rice

Times thanked
< 65
I think it depends on the genre of the dance music. Like at the dubstep stages you can definitely see some people head banging and jumping around. I always love the mosh and even at dance festivals when you get deep enough in people are moshing, getting into it and that's a really good energy to be around.

Don't think they will be starting any walls of death at ASOT though.
polite_society +

something else

Times thanked
< 19
Heavy music is heavy music, doesn't matter if it's guitars or a square wave.

Also I think people are EDM gigs (especially since the mdma was cut off) are generally ruder and more agressive than metal gigs. Just sayin'.
Three Paper +

Times thanked
< 1
Its not fun for more than a little while but when you love the music heavy or not you got to get in there. Stuff what anyone else thinks.
Phesath +

Times thanked
< 3
I tend to agree with polite_society. From my experience, people at EDM concerts are a lot ruder/agressive than a metal gig.
talinacruz +

Times thanked
< 0
Mosh pits are one of the great joys of life. Any where, any time the music and crowd takes you there. Watching that clip sends shivers down my spine reminding me of some epic mosh pit circle moments in my life. In my opinion, there is nothing worse than a static, fucked up crowd staring at the DJ and not interacting with anyone else. Mosh pits bring people together and produce an electrifying energy, totally fitting to any genre of music that evokes it.
clemyobon +

Times thanked
< 1
At FMF 12 in Sydney there was a few circle pits throughout Zane lowe, knife party and porter robinson. they were fuckin awesome haha.
Bokhead +

Times thanked
< 0
LOL Dubstep is about anger and hate and is more like metal than other EDM? Well then I am just gonna stop playing Dutch Hardcore and Terrorcore and jump right on the bandwagon :P
rdalt13 +

Times thanked
< 9
Usually Im fine with tight packed dance events, because everyone is supposed to be there for their love of music. But these days edm has attracted way too many mainstreamers.

I was in a fucking crazy mosh at skrillex at future (not a circle though), and being a small girl, i and every other girl was focusing on not getting crushed to death rather than having a good time. The men were all too off their face to even notice that people were getting hit. Whatever happened to PLUR
Johbremat +

Times thanked
< 25
Is the cost of entry to a "circle pit" a wad of tissues in each pocket?
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
< 18,898
what the fuck is a circle pit
B_e_de +

It's more fun if you just follow the script

Times thanked
< 7,331
How are you meant to 'mosh' in time to Brostep exactly?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »