Food, Photography and Travel

Melbourne - Restaurant Reviews

Tools
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,282
WGN - 153 Gertrude St, Fitzroy

Pop up restaurant which is only open until Nov 27th...tickets/bookings all sold out in 25mins...but some seating and outdoor dining reserved for walk ups

Showcase restaurant with Wellingtons top chefs (Cafe Bastielle, Logan Brown) and a variety of NZ's best wines

$35 for a 3 course meal, wines are $7 a glass/$30 a bottle!

Movida is a must imo...either at the bar (limited menu), Next Door at the first restaurant of Aqui in a different location

Long Grain, Coda, Ginger Boy, Flower Drum for fine dining Asian are all amazing! Flower Drum pretty pricey tho.

Hu Tong Dumpling House for mean dumplings/Asian

Mountains of cheap asian places in the area (Chinatown, Little Bourke St) where Flower Drum and Hu Tong are

Steak/ribs etc, Rare or Squirres Loft
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Essendon Boy +

Its summer time and its time to exercise

Times thanked
< 2
Been to the City Grill Room in the city, best steaks I have come across in Melbourne so far its a nice restaurant that is situated down an alley way at - 535 Little Lonsdale Street. Definitely worth a visit if you love a steak!
waldorf +

everything, everything

Times thanked
< 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anselm View Post

What kind of food and where are you staying and where are you coming from?

Staying in the CBD, will eat almost anything, coming down from Brisbane.
Kana

http://www.okkana.com

https://soundcloud.com/leo-hede

Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,574
Kiwi had a decent list going there. For mod asian, I'd add Chin Chin and Golden Fields.

Spanish - Mo Vida is great and not that expensive. Also Garcia and Sons in Windsor.

For a real Italian/Melbourne experience - Pellegrinis in the city. Basically an italian coffee/pasta bar straight out of central casting, relatively cheap too.

Fine dining - Cutler and Co or Cumulus Inc

Cicconlina's in St Kilda is pretty great if you want romantic action. Don't take bookinjg but their bar out the back is fantastic too.

Mexican - Mamsitas

Quote:

Originally Posted by richmondtigers

His father had a sex change when his mum wanted a kid.

He mutilated his vagina not long afterwards.

To this day it is still in bad shape.

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,282

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

WGN - 153 Gertrude St, Fitzroy

Pop up restaurant which is only open until Nov 27th...tickets/bookings all sold out in 25mins...but some seating and outdoor dining reserved for walk ups

Showcase restaurant with Wellingtons top chefs (Cafe Bastielle, Logan Brown) and a variety of NZ's best wines

$35 for a 3 course meal, wines are $7 a glass/$30 a bottle!

Sorry, it's WLG not WGN...went last night...fucking amazing meal for $35! Would have been happy paying $35 for just the main...beautiful stuff!

Entree is a share plate which has a scallop, cured lamb, olives, goats cheese balls, pigs cheek schnitty and the fucking nicest smoked salmon I've ever had!

Mains was a choice of beetroot gnocchi, lamb rack, beef, venison or grouper...2 desserts to choose from which were both unreal even though I didn't like the sound of one of them at all, still tasted amazing

Well well well worth walking up and trying to get a table

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

sacamano +

Times thanked
< 18
Green Dragon, Commercial Road, Prahran. Best Chinese food going around. You won't be disappointed.
sacamano +

Times thanked
< 18
Another Chinese food recommendation for those dining around East Melbourne - Kambal Sambal. Tasty, cheap, clean.
emskina +

StKE

Times thanked
< 93
Ate at the new(ish) Bistro Guillaume last weekend and the food was fantastic. Highly recommend the charcuterie platter, it was so good I'm determined to go back there and have one just to myself with a glass of wine as a lone luncher! Service was slightly patchy though, which was disappointing. Also ate at Cutler & Co during the week and this place just never fails to impress. Amazing food, great wine list. As a bonus, work paid, yay!
Gee Frizz +

Cos Im not noticeably fat

Times thanked
< 48
Had a truly awesome steak at The Yorkshire Hotel on Hoddle St, Abbotsford. Not a restaurant per se, but the 600g rib eye served on the bone with potatoes, leafy green salad 7 pepper jus was of a standard that would be deemed restaurant quality. Quality in general really - one of the best steaks I have ever had.
Bergs +

Ya mum

Times thanked
< 1,439
Can anyone recommend somewhere in the city that has either good Halal food or awesome vegetarian dishes?
Gee Frizz +

Cos Im not noticeably fat

Times thanked
< 48
For lunch or dinner?

The Om Vegetarian Cafe might be worth checking out.
Bergs +

Ya mum

Times thanked
< 1,439
Dinner. One of the guys at work is limited as to what he can eat because of his religion, so we want to make sure we go somewhere that he can have tasty foods at too! (normally he just doesn't come )
mel_v +

Times thanked
< 2,078

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anselm View Post

Golden Fields.

If only they'd stop changing their damn menu so often!

Try something new or re-order something you really like and the next time you go it's off the menu , and it's not about seasonality or availability, they seem to be changing for changing's sake!

Having said that, I would marry the lobster roll if I could.
Bizzy +

I am the needle in your vein. I am the high you can't sustain.

Times thanked
< 361
When I was in Melbs we went for brunch at a little kiwi joint in Balaclava called Batch (strangely I was with a kiwi but we didn't realise it was a kiwi place till after we sat down!). Two thumbs up! Will def head there again when I am down there next. Food was great and the service was excellent

*side note: Batch is the word kiwi's use for 'holiday home/house'
If I told you that I was a pathological liar would you believe me?

Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,574
Batch is great but hard to get a table these days.
Bizzy +

I am the needle in your vein. I am the high you can't sustain.

Times thanked
< 361
We had some pretty magical timing. There were people waiting for a larger table and we got a table straight up But we both agreed that we would happily wait for a table next time
If I told you that I was a pathological liar would you believe me?

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,282
All the good places on Carlise St are hard to get tables at on the weekends...and if I'm out for brunch, I'm usually hungover and need food stat...DNW to wait 15-20mins for a table to come available to then wait a good 45mins-1 hour to actually get my food

emskina +

StKE

Times thanked
< 93
I had breakfast at Gattica recently on Carlisle St (cos as per usual Batch and Las Chicas were full) and I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the food was and how reasonably priced it is. I can sometimes walk out of Las Chicas feeling a bit stiffed based on how much I just spent on breakfast.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,282
Not a restaurant, but TACO TRUCK fucking rulz!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ta...87938917910211

Like the page and they post each day giving lunch and dinner locations...3 taco options, fish, chicken and potato (which is a crisp fried taco while the other two are soft) plus corn chips and gauc...$12 for 2 tacos and some chips...loads of hot sauce options to spice them up

Take a picnic blanket and some beers and enjoy an evening in the park, we ordered at about 6:45pm and it was a 45min wait...got upwards of an hour later, but well worth the wait (on a nice evening anyway)

I haven't been, but my girl has and she said "Mamasita is only just better than this!"

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,282
PM24 - Philippe Mouchel

http://www.pm24.com.au/

WOW...food was freaking amazing, shared the potted salmon and king salmon as entrees and both were devine, nicest cured salmon I've ever hard. Main I had the braise of the day, which was pork belly with heriloom veges and pear puree and it was OMFG good, best pork I've ever eaten! Dessert, surprisingly, was a little underwhelming, chocolate and caramel tart with mango and passionfruit cream...don't get me wrong, it was tasty as fuck, but just didn't stand out as much as the entree and mains did.

3 glasses of wine, entree, main and dessert + coffee came to $115, so on the expensive side, but not too bad considering how nice the food was...great ambience, too, with some nice beats you can actually hear, not stuffy and snootty. maitre de and wine geezer were great, our waitress was a bit hopeless though spilling water on table and knocking a small ice cream dish off the table and onto on of the girls handbags, but handled it well when pointed out what had happened and cleaning offered to be paid for.

All in all, 7.5/10 for me.

Deft going back for the Sunday lunch, $115 for 3 courses + free flowing champers from 12-4pm...nice!

emskina +

StKE

Times thanked
< 93
Yeah, I rate PM24's food as well. Off to Attica again on Friday, been there a few times already, but taking my mate who hasn't been before. Really looking forward to it!
stable +

Is about CAPACITY

Times thanked
< 104
The Late Night Kung Fu Hustle

Opening this Thursday to the public. Check it out, it's a pop up style venture for a limited time until council approves the full renovation.

Pork, Lamb & Chicken Skewers, Dahl&Roti, Magic Spice Chicken and loads of weird street fighter business.

Heres what they say:

Chop Chop. Do the Hustle.

Back in the land of time forgotten, ancient warriors craved sacred food of their ancestors after a days battle. From Dahl & busted Roti to Magic Spice Chicken with a full spread of hawker style skewers from all loving animals that walked our lands freely. All foods coming in super combos and assorted styles but no mix and match or big boss with chop chop. Lucky Bali Hai Long necks for $10 and Super Lucky rich guy Tsing Tao for $13 with a range of small time asia beers from our conquests in the orient and the back of a truck.

Open from when the sun goes down till the old lady's charcoal get cold. (6pm till12am)

34&Franklin, Shanghi (Melbourne).
CAPACITY 250
JEFF MILLS / PURPOSEMAKER
THE MERCAT
OCTOBER 17TH

SUMMER SERIES
SIDNEY CHARLES
REVOLVER UPSTAIRS
NOVEMBER 2ND

Music News and Audio adventures...
http://www.stablemusic.com.au
MCSphinx +

Brotankhamen.

Times thanked
< 2,122
Awesome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

life and shit.

KuRuPTeD +

you gonna get raped

Times thanked
< 1,387
Keen to do the hustle!
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,031
Went to Mono & Me in Camberwell last night. Top Malaysian place, ordered the spicy calamari and the duck rassam. The duck was the highlight for me, a great balance of flavour between the ginger and chilli, the meat was succulent and juicy. Heat level was well balanced. Pricing is middle of the road, but well worth it for the dishes presented. Recommended.
emskina +

StKE

Times thanked
< 93
Do you mean Monk & Me? In the little area kinda opposite the Rivoli?
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,031

Quote:

Originally Posted by emskina View Post

Do you mean Monk & Me? In the little area kinda opposite the Rivoli?

Ah yes, that's the one, excuse my spelling mistake.

I went to Lezzet in Elwood last night, walked away seriously impressed. Went with the five course meal, every dish was brilliant. The lamb was terrific and the first dish of smoked salmon and a cream cheese in the centre was probably the highlight for me. Highly recommended.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,282
Long time with no action up in here...who's been to new places?

I'll start it back up with The Meatball and Wine Bar (135 Flindersd Lane)

http://www.meatballandwinebar.com.au/

2 thumbs up here! Solid food, great decor/atmosphere and all at a very reasonable price
$18 for balls and all...you choice of the various meatballs, choice of sauce and servce on beans/polenta/mash/pasta etc.

Wifey and I spent all of $68 to gets balls each, on stuff, a side and 2 glasses of wine (500ml carafe) which was plenty...sure, we could have eaten more, but pre-show, didn't really need it...saved space for an ice cream at the show.

The chicken balls were unreal!!! Saw a few platters of the cured meats going to other tables and they looked the bomb, assuming they're pretty damn good quality also.

Went early, right after work with no reservation and were fine, however, it's a popular little number for something so new, was packed by the time we were done with several people lining up to put names down to wait for tables.

Service felt like they were still finding their feet, and initially I wanted a beer, the TWO first choices they'd both run out of, which is pretty hopeless when you only have 5 or 6 beers on your list...but that aside, place was great...highly recommend!

MCSphinx +

Brotankhamen.

Times thanked
< 2,122
Went to Señoritas for lunch today (16 Meyers Place, CBD).

http://www.senoritas.com.au/

Pretty authentic, we were definitely fans. We had the:

- Tostada de Cangrejo (Small tostada with jalapeno spiced crab meat)
- Tacos de Oaxaqueño (Taco with sweet potato, epazote, frijoles, queso fresco & chipotle mayo)
- Panuchos de Cochinita Pubil (Slow roasted pork on corn tortilla with refried black beans, pickled red onions and habanero salsa)
- Crustaceos Enchilados (Morton bay bugs cooked in spicy lime butter)

Plus two non-alcoholic fruit punch drinks for a total of $61. Loved the decor too, would definitely recommend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

life and shit.

Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
< 975
Mamsita on Saturday. Planned on getting there early but had drinks with friends beforehand and it was 8pm before we knew it. Only myself and the Mrs went for dinner though so the wait was about an hour.

Enjoyed the place, great atmosphere and pretty decent Mexican food. A lot on the menu that I wanted to try but didn't order due to it being intended to share and my partners fussy taste when it comes to things meaty and spicy... So will definitely be heading back there soon with the boys to sample the menu more heartily!
Portal +

Work that motherf#$ker

Times thanked
< 1,013
^ do not forget to sample the expensive tequila..

I didn't think it would be that good, but fuck me you can appreciate a good tequila, just like a fine scotch..

Went to Nobu this week. Fuck me it was awesome, but spent a fucking fortune.
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 118
Had a big dinner with 10 mates at Josie Bones on the weekend.

Beer, service, food all amazing, had the 6 course set menu (which was really about 10 courses for $65 a head) had a great night.

The beer menu is outta this world

A must for any lover of beer and/or pork.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,282
^ that's the git from Master Chefs 'nose to tail' place, right?

Good price for a 6 course set menu...add in a few beers and you're under $100 for a great varied feed, might check that out.

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,282
Went to Senoritas again last night, had the ribs, nearly died...they're sooooooooooo fucking goooooooooooooood!!!

daveyjaye +

has got more flavour than a packet of macaroni

Times thanked
< 3,206
thats the argentinean one on Meyers Place yeh?

really liked it. they had this tea. my god. best tea ever.
Dave Juric Live Sets and Promo Mixes
Sep
13th - Darkbeat Local Sessions - New Guernica
27th - Balance Boat Party - Hernan Cattaneo

Oct
3rd - Darkbeat - Hernan Cattaneo - 7 Hours - RMH
4th - Stacey Pullen - New Guernica

Quote:

Originally Posted by worla View Post

I saw a photo of someone making out with a duck.

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,282
Mexican...you might be thinking of San Telmo which is basically right next door...haven't been, but heard it's pretty damn decent

shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 118

Quote:

^ that's the git from Master Chefs 'nose to tail' place, right?

Good price for a 6 course set menu...add in a few beers and you're under $100 for a great varied feed, might check that out.

Yeah Chris or whatever his name is.

Worth checking out for sure. Even if it's just for the beer.... unreal selection.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
daveyjaye +

has got more flavour than a packet of macaroni

Times thanked
< 3,206

Quote:

Mexican...you might be thinking of San Telmo which is basically right next door...haven't been, but heard it's pretty damn decent

you are exactly right.

missus went to senoritas n loved it though
Dave Juric Live Sets and Promo Mixes
Sep
13th - Darkbeat Local Sessions - New Guernica
27th - Balance Boat Party - Hernan Cattaneo

Oct
3rd - Darkbeat - Hernan Cattaneo - 7 Hours - RMH
4th - Stacey Pullen - New Guernica

Quote:

Originally Posted by worla View Post

I saw a photo of someone making out with a duck.

Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
< 3,987
Forgot to leave me review of Cutler and co.

13/10. Fucking amazing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

Last edited by Morphee: 18-Nov-12 at 12:18am

dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 1,004
cutler?
nah mate
Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
< 3,987
Thats what I said, innit

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,282
Finally made it to Huxtable on the weekend, fucking wow, best meal out I've had in ages! Every dish we ordered was beautiful...the ribs, OMFG, the ribs!!! Triple cooked, 8 hours cryo-vacced at 52 degrees, flash fried and finished in super hot oven...super thick ribs with crackling and all, glistening gelatinous layer of fat and meat that just slids away from the bone. Worth going just for these bad boys imo!

Jalapeno and cheese croquettes, crab XO buns, prawn and zuchini fritters, corn and blackbean salsa thing, teriyaki scotch fillet and some house made icecream sandwich thingy for dessert...everything was tasty as fuck!

A+ - going again for sure (for the ribs, 3 serves thanks! )

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,282

Quote:

A+ - going again for sure (for the ribs, 3 serves thanks! )

Arrrr, well there you go, rated in the top 5 ribs in Melbourne

http://fiveofthebest.com/portfolio/t...-smackin-ribs/

Piqueos smashing reviews out of the park all over the show, too...new addition to Rathdown St

sacamano +

Times thanked
< 18
Mama sita. Best mex in town
Ruthykins +

Stay awake little missfit

Times thanked
< 3,882
Hey, listen, shut up for a second...
Can any of you jerks recommend me somewhere nice in Melb CBD for lunch - taking some business peoples for lunch so it needs to be kinda nice.

Thanking you muchly in advance!
Ya baloney
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,790
cumulus

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,282
Ummm, about fifty places met your current search criteria...would you like to some more search strings, such as prefered cuisine, area/street of the CBD, budget per person?

Ruthykins +

Times thanked
< 3,882
looks poifect
thanks Edwardo
Ya baloney
Ruthykins +

Times thanked
< 3,882

Quote:

Ummm, about fifty places met your current search criteria...would you like to some more search strings, such as prefered cuisine, area/street of the CBD, budget per person?

Ummm cuisine - anything as long is its not something "obscure" like Krishna foodz or served to you as a vapour that's shot up your arse.

CBD - walking distance from about 400 Collins St??? But then again a cab ride isn't a big deal either.

Bugdet - more than $20/head less than $200/ head... I dunno... average for a business lunch.
Ya baloney
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
Mo vida aqui (corner bourke and williams)

« Previous Thread Next Thread »