The DJ Booth

Post a photo of your DJ setup!!!!

Tools
truba +

Times thanked
< 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren View Post

I've been told the DJR400 sounds nicer then the Alpha mixer, i have used a DJR400 but i haven't seen a Alpha yet!!
I would just by a Bozak, rebuilt one's pop up on eBay all the time!

i havent heard either of them but a dude that posts on wave said it sounds better than bozak, and he had the dlc to compare it to, and people say djr cant even go near the bozak, i guess horses for courses, but what i dont get is people saying how warm bozak sounds right, well warmth is distortion, but everywhere you read specs on bozak it says that due to it being a discrete design bozak does not distort at all, you cant even make it distort no matter how hard you push it. bit confused about that
MR BRONSON +

Times thanked
< 7
Nice suggestion truba, I was looking at those a while ago.

BUT has anybody heard any more sizzle on James Murphy's DFA mixer he was harping on about on BiS?

I was VERY disapointed ;-) to so him playing on a pioneer mixer at future!
truba +

Times thanked
< 112
nah i heard about that thing but dunno if it ever went into production, lol he prolly had no choice playing at a big festival, playing as a headliner in a club would be a different story, as kieren said you'd be prolly best off hunting for a decent bozak thats being rebuilt or being looked after, mario g is your man for that kinda stuff, he could prolly hook you up with a nice clean one for 1500 roughly and hes a really nice person to deal with i can personally vouch for that and pretty sure kieren can as well.
Johbremat +

Times thanked
< 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by truba View Post

lol F1, you obviously never heard a k-horn or cornwall in action, even hersey, how can you even say such bullshit, and why the fuck would you have 5 ars isolators, it would completely defeat the purpose mixing on the 4100, one isolator is enough to do silly things, 5 is just plain retarded imho

I've been around my fair share of Klipsch and Funktions (excuse the misspell in my original post, kieren: damn autocorrect) and know what MY ears would prefer for MY setup.

And considering I'm mixing at least 3 discrete sources, 5 is right (being a 4-channel mixer with a master out). I can isolate a band in each channel and have they play simultaneously, or effect the summed out using a single isolator on the master.
truba +

Times thanked
< 112
just a quick question, have you ever seen/heard a k-horn
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
< 352
I don't see the point in having an isolator on each channel. You might as well use a normal mixer with a per-channel eq. Rotaries are all about blending with the channel pots! Also you would need to use external preamps between the turntable and the isolator, as the iso needs a line input. Unless you are using the Thrive which has its own phono preamp.
truba +

Times thanked
< 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johbremat View Post

I've been around my fair share of Klipsch and Funktions (excuse the misspell in my original post, kieren: damn autocorrect) and know what MY ears would prefer for MY setup.

And considering I'm mixing at least 3 discrete sources, 5 is right (being a 4-channel mixer with a master out). I can isolate a band in each channel and have they play simultaneously, or effect the summed out using a single isolator on the master.

so you say u'd be mixing 3 sources which makes a fourth one redundant, even if you have one on the master as a fourth one wtf is the point if you can use either of them on each turntable, please man stop talking shit it does not make you sound cool,
Papanikolas +

Times thanked
< 352

Quote:

just a quick question, have you ever seen/heard a k-horn

I was gonna ask that too. The heritage Klipsch line seem to be pretty rare in Australia. I would love to hear some k-horns!

A pair of La Scalas or K-horns go for only a few grand on ebay, but getting them here with shipping/taxes etc is gonna cost you another grand or 2.
MR BRONSON +

Times thanked
< 7
I'm sure you guys have seen this post on waves - WOWZERZ - but, it is a glorious setup.

My friend works at an aus distributor of klipsch, I asked if there where any around, he said no body has imported them while he's been there, nor are they ever in the warehouse. Apparently they are starting a sub business focusing more on the high end audio solutions, focusing on the klipsch range.

But if you are ever in tokyo - K-HORN ALERT
http://www.bad-party.com
Johbremat +

Times thanked
< 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papanikolas View Post

I don't see the point in having an isolator on each channel. You might as well use a normal mixer with a per-channel eq. Rotaries are all about blending with the channel pots! Also you would need to use external preamps between the turntable and the isolator, as the iso needs a line input. Unless you are using the Thrive which has its own phono preamp.

Who's produced a rackmount rotary with 3-band isolators built-in? If anyone would know I figure you would, but my understanding that the Rotary Empath and the XP2016S are just full-kill EQ, and the slope wasn't the same as a discrete iso.

And my decks operate on line.
Papanikolas +

Times thanked
< 352

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR BRONSON View Post

I'm sure you guys have seen this post on waves - WOWZERZ - but, it is a glorious setup.

yeah seen that setup on Wave. Pretty nice, but the room is WAY too small for k-horns. You'd want them in a massive room at least 4m apart!

Quote:

My friend works at an aus distributor of klipsch, I asked if there where any around, he said no body has imported them while he's been there, nor are they ever in the warehouse. Apparently they are starting a sub business focusing more on the high end audio solutions, focusing on the klipsch range.

No wonder no one buys Klipsch in Australia with those prices!

Quote:

But if you are ever in tokyo - K-HORN ALERT

deadly +

Times thanked
< 11
Truba; according to a post on DJH regarding the DFA/Isonoe mixer

"got in touch with justin, price won't be too far off the E&S and size will be similar to the DJ-400 with an additional thingie to rackmount if need be- hoping for a first run sometime in aprilish?!"

Hoping this guy isnt just talking shit
http://tunesforyou.wordpress.com/
truba +

Times thanked
< 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadly View Post

"got in touch with justin, price won't be too far off the E&S and size will be similar to the DJ-400 with an additional thingie to rackmount if need be- hoping for a first run sometime in aprilish?!"

i dont think justin is talking shit, he knows his stuff inside out and is prolly the best man to do bozak repairs in europe if you dont want to send to states, he does upgrades for bozaks as well, external power supply etc. so if you end up getting one of his mixers you're probably in for a treat.
truba +

Times thanked
< 112

Quote:

yeah seen that setup on Wave. Pretty nice, but the room is WAY too small for k-horns. You'd want them in a massive room at least 4m apart!

i scored a pair of herseys for 400 bucks about 4 years ago, they had shot tweeters and dried up caps in the crossovers, i ended up replacing them myself, cost me round 400 bucks for new crossovers and tweeters from bob crites and now they sound sweet as, they can take a fuckin pounding as well for long periods of time, i only wish they were a bit more bassy, with some records bass is very nice with others it seems non existent. btw lol at the pricing, are they serious, as you said papanikolas you can pick them up on ebay for 4k prolly new, with freight and taxes 6k max and they want 22k here, lol what a joke. how bout some local stuff like this

http://www.lenardaudio.com/

Last edited by truba: 15-Mar-12 at 10:27pm

Papanikolas +

Times thanked
< 352
wow they look serious. bit mega pricey i bet.

If you are good at diy you could built a pair of old klipsch speakers. You can get the cabinet designs on the net, plus all the components are available second hand for pretty cheap. You could make your own La Scalas for around 1-2 grand i reckon.
Papanikolas +

Times thanked
< 352

Quote:

i scored a pair of herseys for 400 bucks about 4 years ago, they had shot tweeters and dried up caps in the crossovers, i ended up replacing them myself, cost me round 400 bucks for new crossovers and tweeters from bob crites and now they sound sweet as, they can take a fuckin pounding as well for long periods of time, i only wish they were a bit more bassy, with some records bass is very nice with others it seems non existent

wow thats a great find. Maybe you could upgrade the main woofers and tweak the crossover to get more bass? Im sure there are plenty of people who do mods on these. check out the klipsch forum...

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/

oh and what kind of amp are you using?
truba +

Times thanked
< 112
i'm using the good ol phase linear 400 aka flame linear hehe, thing kicks hard hehe but gets very hot hence the nickname, yeah was thinking about changing the sub but the sub is kinda built into the front panel, the newer one have sub bolted into the panel so its easier to replace, will still look into it a bit more to see whats possible.
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245

The Office by Captain.Terrific, on Flickr
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
CraigCyril +

Times thanked
< 4
I am a DJ and I found this discussion today, I am very happy this is very helpful platform for me!
Underdog +

meh

Times thanked
< 33

Quote:

how bout some local stuff like this

http://www.lenardaudio.com/

nice - we used a pair on vintage Lenard Opals, plus a pair of his Sarabandes and a mates DJR400 for our Hi Fi Ballroom party last year - it sounded sweet - though was a bit trickier to bump in and set up than the usual F1 rigs!
jabbajaws +

Registerd Midget Abuser

Times thanked
< 328
That's a mighty expensive tablet stand he's using there. And heavy too!
You guys s****** about us oldies lugging 100+ records around a night and yet here, he's using a 1200 WITH the dust cover for a stand.
There's 20kg of kit you don't need.
Have you checked out Marsh Media recently?

UPCOMING GIGS

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieBrooke

when cueing up "Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go) by Wham I knew it was gonna go off!!!

kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26

Quote:

There is lots of Klipsch in Australia and at least 5 sets of corner horns i can think of.
The Australian distributor when i last spoke to them was not interested in importing the Heritage speakers unless it was for huge $$$...
The last couple of heritage speakers i have seen have all been directly imported from overseas!
Buying 2nd hand or building you own seems to be the most common way to get a pair though!
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26

Quote:

i havent heard either of them but a dude that posts on wave said it sounds better than bozak, and he had the dlc to compare it to, and people say djr cant even go near the bozak, i guess horses for courses, but what i dont get is people saying how warm bozak sounds right, well warmth is distortion, but everywhere you read specs on bozak it says that due to it being a discrete design bozak does not distort at all, you cant even make it distort no matter how hard you push it. bit confused about that

I think the warmth is distortion, in my opinion!
A lot of people crap on about crap, personally i like the sound of my Bozak, that's all i care about!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26

Quote:

nah i heard about that thing but dunno if it ever went into production, lol he prolly had no choice playing at a big festival, playing as a headliner in a club would be a different story, as kieren said you'd be prolly best off hunting for a decent bozak thats being rebuilt or being looked after, mario g is your man for that kinda stuff, he could prolly hook you up with a nice clean one for 1500 roughly and hes a really nice person to deal with i can personally vouch for that and pretty sure kieren can as well.

Yep Mario is great to deal with, he probably has a Bozak he is selling!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johbremat View Post

I am a Klipsch horn fan but if i had the money to spend on Hi-Fi speakers i would probably buy some speakers off Lenard Audio.
I don't love the Funktion One systems over any other off the shelf system in the higher end like Rankus Heinz, EAW ect. I have never been that impressed. Maybe i'm wrong but i can only go by my ears like you said, each to their own!

I have no problems with you setting up 5 Isolators, everyone sets up differently, that's fine!
Personally i have 2 but i only use one on the master, the other sits on a shelf doing nothing!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadly View Post

Not sure if it will be in production by April but it shouldn't take much longer than that!
I'll try to keep up to date with Justin and let you guys know how it's going!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabbajaws View Post

You guys s****** about us oldies lugging 100+ records around a night and yet here, he's using a 1200 WITH the dust cover for a stand.

So that's why my back is sore
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
< 643

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabbajaws View Post

Unless you have a pair of SL1210's M5G's where the dust covers have a stupid bubble over the tone arm hinge

They're still my babies though

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Just to clarify where the line is drawn:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK
  • Starting a new joke train on them when they're not around: Please don't

Papanikolas +

Times thanked
< 352

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren View Post

There is lots of Klipsch in Australia and at least 5 sets of corner horns i can think of.
The Australian distributor when i last spoke to them was not interested in importing the Heritage speakers unless it was for huge $$$...
The last couple of heritage speakers i have seen have all been directly imported from overseas!
Buying 2nd hand or building you own seems to be the most common way to get a pair though!

Have you heard of the Cornscala DIY project? Its basically the bass section of the Cornwall with the horn section of the La Scala. Its something i'll probably tackle in a few years time. All the components can be bought new and the cabinet is a pretty simple design. You could build a pair for about $1500 and read that they sound fantastic!
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26

Quote:

Have you heard of the Cornscala DIY project? Its basically the bass section of the Cornwall with the horn section of the La Scala. Its something i'll probably tackle in a few years time. All the components can be bought new and the cabinet is a pretty simple design. You could build a pair for about $1500 and read that they sound fantastic!

Sounds like something i should look into that, the La Scala sounds awesome but in a large room the bottom end can get lost!
Thanks Papanikolas, might be a good option for my new Hi-Fi system!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Papanikolas +

Times thanked
< 352
all the info is here:

http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala.html
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26
Cheers!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
G-TECH +

Times thanked
< 8
Went away for the weekend

Photo of small set up

Garydose +

Times thanked
< 120
Fun Times!!

Would dearly love a DJR400....

My sickest mix brah heaps of sick beatz u mirin? - http://soundcloud.com/johnbanana/gil...lipse-mix-2012
Radic +

Times thanked
< 12
still a lot of 1200's around in these photo's that's cool to see
Soundcloud
My old art page CHECK IT OUT!!!!!
New techno mx up on Youtube. CHECK IT OUT!!!!
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26

Quote:

nice 'temp' console! much nicer than some peoples permanent setup!

what phono preamps are you using? do u still have the bozak?

Sorry Papanikolas i missed that post!
At the moment i am just useing Thorens MM001 pre's they were pretty cheap, i keep trying others but i hjaven't found that perfect pre yet!
Yes i still have Two Bozaks, one lives in our hire department and is waiting for me to upgrade the power supply and the other needs a complete rebuild which i will send it to Isonoe as soon as i have the $$$, Justin has a great idea for a complete overhaul of it!! I had a third one i sold last week (should of kept it but the EX is strangling my cash flow)....

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
The DeeJay Logik +

Times thanked
< 2
DJ Setup

Production Setup
JRF +

Times thanked
< 1
Club's setup. It is such a mess.

khaiyin +

Lightnite

Times thanked
< 4
Those 2 drinks... I hope you didn't put them there.
/|±±|\
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 119

Quote:

Originally Posted by khaiyin View Post

The only thing I saw in that photo too..

Who the hell would put drinks there?

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
Johbremat +

Times thanked
< 25
@The DeeJay Logik: slick. Ever regret the platter mod?

@Garydose: digging it. Your general opinion on the Whitelabels? Torn on continuing with Ortofon and tossing up these or M44s, but heard stories about WL styli snapping?
JRF +

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

The only thing I saw in that photo too..

Who the hell would put drinks there?

Quote:

Myself - because there is no room on the booth to put anything else D:
khaiyin +

Lightnite

Times thanked
< 4
I would recommend the floor next time. That, or you're inevitably going to fry thousands of dollars of gear and possibly yourself...
And is it just me or does your club's setup have you facing a wall?
Why is there so much wrong with that picture ><
/|±±|\
Papanikolas +

Times thanked
< 352
i'm just sick of looking at pioneer gear in every pic
JRF +

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

I would recommend the floor next time. That, or you're inevitably going to fry thousands of dollars of gear and possibly yourself...
And is it just me or does your club's setup have you facing a wall?
Why is there so much wrong with that picture ><

Nah, it's a booth, and people still tend to lean over it since the booth is on floor level with the dancefloor, and I can assure you that the alcohol is safe behind the mixer lol
Kent +

Times thanked
< 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRF View Post

I can assure you that the alcohol is safe behind the mixer

Famous last words.
stuff
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
< 3,946
i live dangerously and smoke and drink over my gear ... it all still works!!
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,631
There's nothing wrong with facing a wall in your own house. Stop being pretentious wankers.
JRF +

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent View Post

Famous last words.

It's been a couple of weekends since that picture has been taken, nothing yet so far, I'm careful
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
< 3,946

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

There's nothing wrong with facing a wall in your own house. Stop being pretentious wankers.

Not wanting to face a wall has no correlation to being pretentious ... it does however strongly correlate with not wanting to face a wall when mixing.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met

« Previous Thread Next Thread »