Travel

living in america

Tools
krewsin +

doof

Times thanked
< 372
living in america
it looks as if i will be moving over to the states for a year or so.
im doing LA to NY by car when i arrive, so will see a little on the way.

tossing up options and would like suggestions and some ideas for places i might want to base myself?
experiences?
places not to live.
why?
etc.

im a skater, so california is on the cards.
also thinking NY but put off a little by the winter weather.
miami could be on the cards too?

long beach, carlsbad, vista (SD), brooklyn, san francisco, philly have all been thought about a little too.

looking for a good all round area with good sports, nightlife, not too far from the beach would be good.
retzie +

Times thanked
< 10
If you are coming on a visa, which one is it? I can't think of anything that would leave you this much choice...

If you have a US passport, you might want to give some thought to employability if you are planning to work. Unemployment is pretty high nationally (though especially in CA), so you might be kinda limited location-wise. Given some of the places you are suggesting, you will definitely need some cash!

If you have a US passport and a shitload of cash, I dunno - I'd choose Brooklyn every time. It doesn't sound like we are very similar, though!
krewsin +

doof

Times thanked
< 372
will have a 12month work visa.
im not going to have a shitload of cash to live off the whole time, probably enough to get me started and have some spare.
looking probably just to get a bar job. or something along those lines, otherwise i might be able to get a job in the skate industry, with my fingers crossed.
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,739
no cash = no brooklyn

consider san diego
Hopped in the car and torpe'ed to the shack
Of Shaheed, "We gotta go back" when he said
"Why?" I said, "We gotta go
'Cause I left my wallet in El Segundo"

http://twitter.com/derekbradley
http://untappd.com/user/dbb618

https://plus.google.com/117630500124...73/posts?hl=en
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 1,674
San fran?
retzie +

Times thanked
< 10
No cash = no SF either.

Last edited by retzie: 07-May-12 at 02:43am

Portal +

Work that motherf#$ker

Times thanked
< 926
No cash =

dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,739
That's harsh, he could always bum around Venice on the cheap

buffed +

Times thanked
< 172
bar jobs pay fuck all, remember you are competing with illegals from Mexico who are prepared to work for $8 an hour.

All of the cities you mentioned will be a struggle to find anywhere decent to live on that sort of money. Perhaps find a smaller college town somewhere along the coast that will at least provide you with the opportunity to meet people of a similar age, cheaper housing and jobs at local bars
retzie +

Times thanked
< 10
Personally, I would think about getting further off the beaten track than you are talking - maybe the Northwest? The cities (Portland OR, Seattle) or smaller (Santa Cruz). You'd have proximity to the ocean and the mountains (don't shy away from the winter!) and wouldn't be just another fucken Australian.

I would also suggest trying to work in retail - maybe you could even swing a skate shop? Hospo jobs pay badly and are generally thought of/treated like shit.

Just in case by 'nightlife' you mean dance music - try not to get your hopes up. The reason the festivals are so big here is because there's never any other way of seeing anything. Club nights, etc. are lame/non-existent. I live in Chicago and am still hard-up to find stuff worth going to! I found the 'scene' in San Diego to be especially lame - skanky nightclubs and/or candy ravers.
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,739
the entire west coast if full of Australians though.

Here's an off the beaten path tip, one where you can board and hang out with the stoner crews and their hippie brethren, there aren't really any Aussies to speak of, shit is dirt cheap, and it's actually a really cool and interesting part of the USA ...

Asheville, NC

Bracko +

Times thanked
< 1,674
I know it's not America, but Whistler there is just as many opportunities for work in summer as there are in winter. why not look at ski towns that have a heap of summer sports (golf, adventure sports, etc...)

living in a ski town is fun, heaps of young people, lots of things to do. only problem is that guys generally outnumber girls ~3/1... most people I know were either tradies that picked up jobs with no effort or worked in hotels and managed to scrape by. I've had friends work at Vail, Aspen and Sun Valley...

edit... just re-read the OP... close to the coast and not cold never mind!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

Last edited by Bracko: 07-May-12 at 04:21pm

krewsin +

doof

Times thanked
< 372
im not going over there with $100 or anything horrid like that. i should have enough to live comfortably, do a bit of travelling before finding work, etc.
thanks for the help, i might hit up some people i know to try tee up some work in a skate shop.
im leaning much more to the west coast. considering san diego or long beach at this point (due to friends there)
bobdobilina +

Times thanked
< 0
Where do you live now? It's a little difficult to tell what you're looking for, but if you want a city vibe of the kind you won't get in Australia then i would think one of New York, Chicago or Philly make most sense (for me they just feel more city than the rest).

There's a big number of really interesting mid size cities these days with really vibrant art and culture scenes - some are mentioned above like Portland, Austin, Savannah, Minneapolis, Boulder etc.

Otherwise a small coastal california city could work - i like the Santa Cruz suggestion above. Santa Barbara would be another, although it's expensive.
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,739
Santa Barbara being expensive is an understatement - and it has no skating culture to speak of.

krewsin +

doof

Times thanked
< 372
currently living in melbourne. but in the south eastern suburbs.
so anything is going to be a huge change.
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
Look into working in hostels...pretty much working for only accommodation and the partying and meeting hot foreign girls will come with it...then you can add a second job like the skate shop or even hand out flyers or something like that...

If you don't like the cold...pretty much write-off the East i.e. NY, Boston, Chicago, etc...bloody cold there in the winter months!
[Put Signature Here]
retzie +

Times thanked
< 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by krewsin View Post

im not going over there with $100 or anything horrid like that. i should have enough to live comfortably, do a bit of travelling before finding work, etc.
thanks for the help, i might hit up some people i know to try tee up some work in a skate shop.

I don't think anyone was assuming you are going in completely skint. However, I wouldn't want to live on my salary in the Bay Area or anywhere near NYC. It's not just about managing to survive, it's also about having enough money to enjoy it. And I don't mean massively living it up - just getting out of the house and doing something that's not work/steal internets.

Also, living somewhere expensive, you'd be lowering your chances of being around other people your age/inclination. The Bay Area, in particular, always strikes me as having this massive, empty demographic between the homeless dudes lining the streets and the minted 30-something Google employees.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krewsin View Post

im leaning much more to the west coast. considering san diego or long beach at this point (due to friends there)

Or live somewhere that's not there, have your own life and a rad, free place to visit...?
bobdobilina +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbb618 View Post

Santa Barbara being expensive is an understatement - and it has no skating culture to speak of.

No idea on the skating culture... but you can always live in the Latino neighbourhood in the city... it's a walk to everything, and rents aren't cheap, but you can make it work.
Ben Royal +

Times thanked
< 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by retzie View Post

It's not just about managing to survive, it's also about having enough money to enjoy it. And I don't mean massively living it up - just getting out of the house and doing something that's not work/steal internets.

This is a very interesting point - IMO if you dont have enough money to do anything, to me it's pretty pointless moving somewhere to do that.
On the other end of the spectrum I wouldnt like getting a job as a lawyer in a massive NYC law firm, getting paid 150K a year but working 14+ hours a day, 7 days a week - if all you are seeing is the office and your bed I really don't see the point in moving to NYC to do it as you wont experience the city at all - you may as well just do that at home if you are going to work those hours.

A mate moved to the US a year ago. He's a qualified pharmacist and was making good money doing relief-type work at pharmacies in Australia (covering leave etc). He attempted to get work as a pharmacist in NYC, then in LA. He didn't/.couldn't (he did give up fairly quickly though).

He ended up working as a waiter for $6 an hour in LA for almost a year. He's now given up and moved back to Australia because he got sick of trying to survive on such low money.

There is a much, much bigger underclass in the US than Australia. In Australia, unless you are a migrant with little education/English speaking ability it's considered beneath most people to work in basic service industries (waiter, cleaner, taxi driver, fast food etc) in your 30s and 40s for minimum wage. In the US its considered perfectly acceptable and millions do it.

mixes and remixes @ soundcloud.com/benroyal
Mr Krust +

Times thanked
< 0
Interesting that your mate tried to go over and be a pharmacist over there. I am a pharmacist and its pretty common knowledge that NZ is the only place with reciprocal type arrangements. You are looking at 1 year at uni then 1 year prac just to do it in the uk now, the US - its even harder.
I have a good friend who is a pharmacist who managed to get sponsered whilst working in NYC illegally in a bar. Doing some clinical trial type stuff.
Sorry to jack thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »