The DJ Booth

DJ Gear Advice 4 N00b

Tools
Nice Juan +

Times thanked
< 0
DJ Gear Advice 4 N00b
Hi! I am looking at getting in to DJ'ing and would like suggestions about what equipment to get? My online research shows that the Pioneer 2000 series is industry standard and therefore likely to give you the best sound and make the best use of your ability but I don't think it has sync or anything like that? In that case I am thinking maybe I should get an s4 which is the other option I was looking at. But then I would have to buy a macbook pro to use it with as my laptop is 2 years old.
Any suggestions?
Kent +

Times thanked
< 19
Surely a 2 year old laptop exceeds the Traktor system requirements? Yes, a Macbook would be nice but get it for the right reason - it doesn't just look good, it is a better system. $ (S4 + Macbook) < $ CDJ2000s. Also, there are many factors that may affect sound quality e.g. sound system (hardware), program source material, room acoustics etc.

Go the S4. You'll love it.
stuff
khaiyin +

Lightnite

Times thanked
< 4
You're basically going to get the same 'sound quality' out of any cd player (CDJ 350s, 2000s, 100s). It's more so your mixer, headphones, cables and whatever your master's going out to (i suspect computer speakers for now). At the beginner level, the 2000s are more than overkill. You'll be using 20% of its capabilities at your level, and this 20% is on the lower end models too.

An S4 even seems overkill. The S2 will suit your needs better. Third and fourth decks don't come in to play until you've mastered 1:1 song mixing. And even then, you're most likely not going to use the 3rd deck until you've played out for a while. A 2 year old laptop is fine for Traktor. My laptop is over 2 years old and it runs amazingly smooth.

I believe that the sync button should never be used, unless it frees you up to do something that you couldn't before (like bringing in a 3rd track or timing difficult effects). At the beginning, you should be practicing exactly what the sync button does. If you go play at your first gig and the gear at the club doesn't have a sync button... what're you going to do then?

Judging by what you've written in your post, you're of the belief that better gear = better DJ... no.
Its more about how well the DJ knows their songs and what to do with them.
Get a basic setup and learn basic mixing. You're still going to have a load of fun with that. After that, you can determine what more you want out of your setup and buy it later. Don't spend $5000 on gear at the start, with which you'll only be using $1000 worth of the functions. Other ITMers will let you know how many noobs have sold their $5000 setup after failing, or losing interest.

TLDR: get the S2 and run it on your 2yo laptop, get upgrades later (which will be a couple of years down the track)
/|±±|\
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
< 352
Apparently the Titanic had a sync button, but then someone accidentally pressed it.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,248

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nice Juan View Post

Any suggestions?

DIE!

Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,248

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papanikolas View Post

Apparently the Titanic had a sync button, but then someone accidentally pressed it.

ZING!

What has been said...2000's are MASSIVE overkill, even if you get Traktor + S2/S4 learn the art of beat matching tracks by ear not using a sync button, it's only a small part of the artform that is DJing, but it's important to learn as if you ever have to play on CDJs you'll actually be able to do it...it also means you're up and actually practicing something, not just throwing tracks together and letting the machines do part of the work, this means more time focusing on the music, the mix points, holding a mix togther which translates into more time getting to know your tracks.
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
THis is an obvious troll.
Tech-One
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
< 749
all of OP's aliases should be banned who is modertor in this forum anymore goddamnit!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐

« Previous Thread Next Thread »