The Music Studio

MEGAMaschine–A workflow-oriented Maschine template for Live

Tools
Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1
MEGAMaschine–A workflow-oriented Maschine template for Live
Hey people, I've just released a unique template for Maschine & Live. I'm keen to hear any feedback or idea you have.

MEGAMaschine is my Maschine template for Ableton Live. It has been designed to give you hands on control for the functions that will facilitate a good workflow while you’re jamming out your tunes. It leaves out many of the functions of other templates so that you focus only on what matters most while you’re composing.

http://youtu.be/GU_4i8FFkjo

Features
-All features are on just 2 pages, no endless menu-diving
-8 Macro knobs to control any Ableton Live rack, automatically mapped using Live’s IMap feature
-All pads are reserved for MIDI notes, and group buttons for changing octaves, no fancy hidden features on pads
-Buttons to navigate devices/racks to assign Macro knobs
-8 buttons mapped to locators in the Live project for easy navigation
-Buttons to control the parameters of the currently selected track, e.g. Arm, Mute, Solo, Volume, Pan
-Easily change the currently selected track with the ‘Swing’ knob
-A Sends page for the 8 knobs to control Sends A – H
-Transport controls including Play/Pause, Play/Restart, Record, Overdub, Scrub Left/Right
-Handy buttons for Undo, and to switch between Sequencer and Arrangement views, and to bring up the Maschine plugin window
-Buttons to navigate and fire/stop the currently selected Scene or Pattern

Download
http://megatroid.noisepages.com/2012/02/megamaschine/
---
Check my other video here for Maschine/Live workflow tips and important ideas on how to use this template effectively, useful even without this template: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aYgo_VB3XA
Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
< 104
Cheers, I will give it a crack tonight. I am yet to use my maschine within the ableton framework.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Wow.... looks absolutely great. Thank you.

I can't get it to work though. I think the issue is within Controller Editor - when I opened the 'MEGAmaschine.ncm' file in Controller editor, my screen showed my old templates - NOT your MEGAmaschine one:

(see below)

Is there something more that I need to do to load it correctly?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambretta

Oh I'm sick of all this talk about sexual things, it's so disgusting and it's not natural.

Why cant we just watch normal healthy things such as hundreds and hundreds of people being blown to shit for being foreign by some muscular hero?

Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Also, regarding the installation of the 'Maschine-IMap' folder, I couldn't find the 'User Remote Scripts' folder on my Mac:

‘Macintosh HD>Users>[USER NAME]>Library>Preferences>Ableton>[VERSION]>User Remote Scripts’.

...so I instead put the 'Maschine-IMap' folder in the 'Ableton Live User Remote Scripts' folder, which was found at:

Applications > Native Instruments > Controller Editor > Template Support Files > Ableton User Remote Scripts

Is this the correct place to put it? It was the only Folder on my computer that had the phrase 'User Remote Scripts' in it.

Quote:

Oh I'm sick of all this talk about sexual things, it's so disgusting and it's not natural.

Why cant we just watch normal healthy things such as hundreds and hundreds of people being blown to shit for being foreign by some muscular hero?

Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen View Post

Wow.... looks absolutely great. Thank you.

I can't get it to work though. I think the issue is within Controller Editor - when I opened the 'MEGAmaschine.ncm' file in Controller editor, my screen showed my old templates - NOT your MEGAmaschine one:

(see below)

Is there something more that I need to do to load it correctly?

It thought it should come up in your list of templates when you double click it, but try File > Open Template.
Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Also, regarding the installation of the 'Maschine-IMap' folder, I couldn't find the 'User Remote Scripts' folder on my Mac:

‘Macintosh HD>Users>[USER NAME]>Library>Preferences>Ableton>[VERSION]>User Remote Scripts’.

...so I instead put the 'Maschine-IMap' folder in the 'Ableton Live User Remote Scripts' folder, which was found at:

Applications > Native Instruments > Controller Editor > Template Support Files > Ableton User Remote Scripts

Is this the correct place to put it? It was the only Folder on my computer that had the phrase 'User Remote Scripts' in it.

Yeah that's probably right. I don't use a mac so I just copied that directory from somewhere else. You'll know if it's working if 'Maschine-IMAP' shows as a control surface. Let me know when you get it up and running and I'll update my instructions.

Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Thanks for the quick reply Megatroid. Yes, you were right, I had to do: 'File > Open Template.' in Contoller Editor to correctly import your MEGA Maschine template.

Regarding the installation of the 'Maschine-IMap' folder in the 'User Remote Scripts' folder - here is a trick if you are running OSX Lion - Lion automatically HIDES your Library folder: ‘Macintosh HD>Users>[USER NAME]>Library>Preferences>Ableton>[VERSION]>User Remote Scripts’.

There is a way of making the Library folder visible again:: here/

So, I was wrong to put the iMap folder in the one I did - I've since put it in the exact folder as per your initial instructions. When I've gone into Live, I've switched into Midi control mode using the Maschine hardware - the screens on my Maschine hardware display the name 'MEGAMASCHINE'.....BUT.....none of the controls are responding in Live.

Here is what my Prefs in Live look like:

Quote:

Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Hold up....after a restart of my computer it works fine!!! YESSSSS!

This is awesome.....vey slick - I can see this being my go to template for a loooong time. I also found the other templates available to be a bit unintuitive to use, and also found them to be a touch buggy - with some jitteriness when you turned the encoders....the response seems very smooth in your template.

A few (minor) issues I've found though:

• The Scrub fwd control works fine - moving you ahead 1 bar at a time, but the scrub back button moves you FORWARD 32 bars ...no biggie, its actually kinda handy - but I guess the 'Location' buttons page can be used for that.

• The restart button can't keep up with the specified quantise setting when I tap it rapidly. (no big deal)

• The mapping of the pads to the cells for Impulse is non-consecutive, but it is consecutive in Drum Racks.

• When selecting devices (left and right) if your devices are within a group, and you go as far left as possible, it selects the group itself. From here you can only skip to the next group (if there is one to your right), but not select the devices within the group using the hardware. (not sure if this is actually a bug - it is probably normal operation)

But otherwise....just incredible - thank you so much!

Quote:

Last edited by Citizen: 05-Mar-12 at 11:26am

Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Oh, and if you don't mind, I've got a couple of suggestions that might improve the template. Please forgive me if I ask for the impossible, because of my ignorance of the limitations of how these templates can be programmed.

• If the 'Note Repeat' button is Undo, should 'SHIFT + Note Repeat = Re-do?

• Likewise, if the Swing knob scrolls left to right between tracks, could SHIFT + Swing scroll up and down for fast navigation of Scenes and triggering of patterns?

• Alternately, if the first Send Knob were to be sacrificed for the Pan Knob, could the existing Pan Knob become 'Scroll Down'? (you would still be able to tweak a total of 7 sends through the hardware A thru to G) This would allow of simultaneous Up/Down/ AND Left/Right scrolling - which would effectively facilitate fast diagonal movements around the set.

Hope I'm not being cheeky by mentioning this - keen to hear your thoughts - perhaps you have already considered these ideas.

Quote:

Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1
Glad you got it working man! Thankyou for the feedback, you're the first one who's giving me in-depth feedback so far, it's really useful.

Quote:

• The Scrub fwd control works fine - moving you ahead 1 bar at a time, but the scrub back button moves you FORWARD 32 bars ...no biggie, its actually kinda handy - but I guess the 'Location' buttons page can be used for that.

This was one of the last things I added, and I didn't test it, I'll look into it.

Quote:

• The mapping of the pads to the cells for Impulse is non-consecutive, but it is consecutive in Drum Racks.

I've never used Impulse or the Drum Racks, but I know this is stuff the can be changed in the Maschine-IMAP script file. I'll have a look, but if you're interested open that file and have a look, it's all readable and well commented.

Quote:

• When selecting devices (left and right) if your devices are within a group, and you go as far left as possible, it selects the group itself. From here you can only skip to the next group (if there is one to your right), but not select the devices within the group using the hardware. (not sure if this is actually a bug - it is probably normal operation)

Yeah this is just how Live works, it suits me because I wanted everything to be in Groups so that the 8 knobs are always mapped to the macro knobs.

Quote:

If the 'Note Repeat' button is Undo, should 'SHIFT + Note Repeat = Re-do?

Good idea, but this is a limitation of the Controller Editor, you can't the shift key like this, I wish it was possible. It's sort of reserved for Maschine functions. That undo button was a last-minute addition too, I figured it was handy to have and fitted with the idea of using this template for jamming on-the-fly, but I don't really like it as the Note Repeat button...

Quote:

Alternately, if the first Send Knob were to be sacrificed for the Pan Knob, could the existing Pan Knob become 'Scroll Down'? (you would still be able to tweak a total of 7 sends through the hardware A thru to G) This would allow of simultaneous Up/Down/ AND Left/Right scrolling - which would effectively facilitate fast diagonal movements around the set.

Yeah this is a good idea, I think I'll do something like that. If you don't want to wait for me and would like to have a go at editing it, it's really easy. Just look at this chart http://stc.wiffbi.com/midi-implementation-chart/. From a quick look at that, changing the assignment of the Tempo knob to CC 9 and it will navigate up/down.

Thanks again man, glad you liked it.
Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1
I'm thinking maybe the Navigate/Duplicate buttons could be undo/redo, and the Note Repeat button could be 'Stop Clip on Track'. Or something like that.
Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatroid View Post

I'm thinking maybe the Navigate/Duplicate buttons could be undo/redo, and the Note Repeat button could be 'Stop Clip on Track'. Or something like that.

Do you mean if there was a Up/Down scrolling knob implemented? (hence making the Up (navigate) and Down (duplicate) redundant) Well then, yes!

Would 'Pad Mode' still also Stop the clip? (isn't that the same function as what you are suggesting?) Maybe Note Repeat could simply be Tap Tempo, (or something else) if that is what you mean?

Another suggestion...

After playing with the template a little bit, the 'Master Track' button (in the top left, using the Instance/Step button) - is kind of unnecessary. You can switch out of showing the Maschine VST interface by simply turning the Swing/Track Select Knob.

From there you can still bounce back to the Maschine track from any other track.... so unless you had a specific reason for bouncing directly to the Master, then this could potentially free up this button for another function!

Thoughts?

Quote:

Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Wait a sec.... I'm not done yet!

I've had a bit more of a play, and the 'Device Select' button is unnecessary - if you simply use the 'DEV LEFT and DEV RIGHT (Snap and Auto Write, respectively) you can select your devices.

This frees up (yet!) another button! (hurrah!) I would suggest that the 'Sampling' Button then becomes the Device Detail function, and the 'Browse' button could - you guessed it - open and shut the Ableton browser, to the far left of the interface.

Whaddya reckon?!

Hope I'm not coming across as being critical - I know any of my attempts to create custom templates usually result in computers spontaneously combusting! I just don't have the coding panache to do it myself. But I do have some knowledge of front-end interface design, so hopefully that is something.

Again....this is a GREAT template! Simplifying the multi-page menu bullshit of the other temple is a masterstroke. Thank you.

But I reckon there is a little bit of scope for refinement of this masterpiece. Bring on version 2.0!

Quote:

Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Do you mean if there was a Up/Down scrolling knob implemented? (hence making the Up (navigate) and Down (duplicate) redundant) Well then, yes!

Would 'Pad Mode' still also Stop the clip? (isn't that the same function as what you are suggesting?) Maybe Note Repeat could simply be Tap Tempo, (or something else) if that is what you mean?

That's what I meant, except I was talking about the "Stop All Clips On Selected track" function as opposed to stop the currently selected clip. But when I think about it, I don't really get why you need both, the "Stop All Clips" should work in any circumstance and means that you don't need the playing clip selected, just the track.

All your other suggestions are spot on! I think 2.0 will be coming sooner than I expected. Cheers!
Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1
Another thing want to fit into 2.0 is a way to select a loop region and turn looping on/off.
Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6

Quote:

All your other suggestions are spot on! I think 2.0 will be coming sooner than I expected. Cheers!

Oh neat... I look forward to it.

Been playing with version 1 for a few hours now... it all works pretty much as it should - no bugs that I could find other than what I've mentioned (the back scrolling thing)

Are you going to do anything with the 'Off' buttons?

(maybe these could be Metronome, Session/Arrangement toggle, Draw Mode switch and various Quantise values? I'm sure there is probably a better function, though)

Also, I take it that there is not way for the Maschine Hardware to display the name of the track that is selected at all? That alone would save a lot of looking up at the screen.

Quote:

Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1
Yeah man, I might fill up some of those empty buttons. The reason I left them blank was so I had space to put in stuff I needed.

No, there's no way to get Maschine to display anything that I know of.
Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6

Quote:

No, there's no way to get Maschine to display anything that I know of.

I'll double check, but I could have sworn that one of the previous templates that I have worked with did. I'm pretty sure it did display track names (or at least the first 6 or so characters) and even names of parameters on Macros.

...pretty damn sure of it... it was on one of the templates in which you had to surf through many pages just to find a mute button....possibly 'Ableschine' was its name. I'll check tonight.

If it is possible, it would be a huge help to not have to look at the screen to know which track is which, and which parameter is which for Macros.

Quote:

Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1
Hmm yeah you might be right, it sort of rings a bell. I think it uses a different protocol (Mackie Control) instead of straight MIDI like mine uses. You can do some cool stuff with it that you can't do with MIDI, but I also had some problems with it being unresponsive at times like you mentioned.

To be honest, I'm not really concerned with looking at the screen. I get it for the Maschine standalone software, but within Live there's just too much information on the screen that is important.
Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
dn-ul +

yooo

Times thanked
< 1,174
um thanks for the umm template umm dude. haha its cool though, appreciate it
http://www.triplejunearthed.com/DanJohn
ayampanggang +

yeah

Times thanked
< 0
from the vid this indeed looks awesome, im gonna try it as indeed i don't like the default live template that comes with maschine. Oh and probably send this to DJtechtools, looks like something they would be happy to see
http://soundcloud.com/lolski
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Hey Megatroid - just wondering if you have found the time to implement MegaMaschine 2.0 yet?

Quote:

Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1
Not yet man, hopefully on the weekend.
Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Cool - don't rush it - I'm sure it will be another masterpiece!

I've still been using MegaMaschine in every Live session since getting it, and it is still a great implementation of the Maschine hardware as a midi controller.

Quote:

emulator +

arrogant prick

Times thanked
< 131
This looks awesome. Great work!
{strange signals}
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Still loving V1 of the template - I use it everyday - its pretty much second nature.

Please keep us posted on Mk2!

Quote:

Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1
Just updated my blog with version 2. Not so radical but a few really useful refinements, check the site for details.
Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
mute +

Times thanked
< 15
I'm looking on your site, but I cannot see a concise list of the changes that you have made.

Is there a list of just the changes?
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Cool!

What are the specific changes that have been made in this version?

Quote:

Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1
I just put a change log up on the blog, I think it covers everything.

Quote:

Change Log:

• Changed Scene select to 'TEMPO' knob (having Track/Scene select on knobs next to each other makes sense - thanks to Citizen for the suggestion)
  • Added clip quantisation to 'SWING' knob-LP/HP filters in the EQ8 Rack now only activate when the knob is turned (thanks to Zarkov for the suggestion)
  • Added dummy bars to maschine vst, Group H (can be used to easily keep Maschine in sync with Live, using Loop Scene, without the need to adjust the lengths of
  • the patterns you are working with)
  • Added utility rack for volume automation (I find it best to use the Utility Gain to make volume automation, leaving the Volume control for trim)
  • Removed master track selection (unnecessary, just use 'VOLUME' knob to a select track)
  • Changed Sequencer/Arrangment view to 'GRID' button-Removed Scrub Left/Right '<' and '>' buttons and replaced them with Undo/Redo (I found scrub was uselss, it makes sense having Undo/Redo with transport controls)
  • Changed Clip fire/stop buttons - 'PAD MODE' fires the next clip, 'NAVIGATE' stops clips on selected track
  • Added un-arm all to 'DUPLICATE' button (useful to un-arm tracks before recording automation)
  • Added keyboard shortcuts for locators, number 1-8 (handy for navigating Live when in Maschine mode)
  • Added metronome on/off to 'STEP' button
  • Changed Sends page to also include Volume and Pan controls for currently selected track, now only sends A-F (to free up other knobs)
  • Added Location buttons to Sends page, as well as Macro page (so that they are always handy)
  • Changed 'NOTE REPEAT' button to 'back to arrangemnt mode'
  • Removed Device Select button (unecessary, can just use Device Left/Right buttons 'SNAP'/'AUTO WRITE')
  • Changed 'BROWSE' button to 'expand automation lane' (useful for recording automation into arrangement view)

Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Sweeeeeeeet...... nice one Megatroid.

I'll be giving this a thorough testing tonight.

I take it the install is the same process again?

Quote:

Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Media Player
Applause - YouTube

: thumb:

Megatroid, you've out-done yourself - V2 is a significant improvement on a masterpiece. The improvements are all great - I esp. like the addition of scene scrolling - so smooth!

Hands down the BEST Maschine/Live template - bar none.

Thank you!

I've had a bit of a quick play, and the only things I've spotted are that Locator 1 and 2 do not work for some reason. In any case, locator 1 is redundant, since Restart would take you to the start of your track again - might as well move the first locator to Bar 8, and shuffle all the others 8 bars fwd, too.

Otherwise, perfect!

Just one quick Q: I don't quite understand this bit:

'Added dummy bars to maschine vst, Group H (can be used to easily keep Maschine in sync with Live, using Loop Scene, without the need to adjust the lengths of the patterns you are working with'

Can you please explain the functionality of this a bit better? I can't quite grasp what you are doing with Groups B and C, nor what the exact purpose of the dummy clips in the '15 Maschine' channel is. I'd be curious to see a video of your workflow, but no sweat if that is asking too much.

Again, props!

Quote:

Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1
Hey mate, thanks for spotting that, I've fixed the Locators now.

Ok so the dummy clips on the Maschine track will launch the corresponding Scene within Maschine. I personally barely ever use them, but I know some people like to work this way, and it can be handy when your jamming around, before you've started the arrangement.

Groups B and C are just spare tracks, for whatever you want to use them for. The reason it's set up this way is I generally have my drums in Group A, where I want every pad to have it's own track, but I might have a chopped sample on Group B where I want every pad on the same track for processing (and I don't want it routed through the Drum group). I could have used the spare outputs to make Group E & F etc., but 2 is usually enough for me. I really find it handy to have those tracks set up ready to go, to minimise the time you spend creating tracks and setting the correct inputs and outputs.

So, the dummy bars. This is something I started to do in the last few tracks I've been working on. Say I have a verse section, 16 bars, but I'm just working with a 2 bar drum loop. I don't want to copy the loop out to 16 bars yet cause I'm still tweaking it, but if I just put the 2 bar drum loop in a scene for e.g. Verse 1, it won't be the correct length so my Maschine and Ableton will be out of sync. So I just throw a dummy (blank) 16 bar pattern in Group H to make that section the correct length, while still working with my 2 bar loop in Group A. Does that make sense? I thought I might do another video just to cover that, it's a little tricky to explain, but not too complicated and very handy.
Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Hey Megatroid - I just posted this on the MaschineTutorials.com - hopefully you will get a few hits on your blog.

I told em all to check out your beats while they are there, too.

Quote:

Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1
^^^ Props!
Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Yeah, I totally bigged the template up to them, too - your template shits on any others that I've tried to use, and from a great height, too!

Time to start deleting all those old templates in Controller Editor that sucked...

PS: Really liked your Icebird remix, man.

Quote:

Last edited by Citizen: 12-May-12 at 03:51pm

timothyallan +

Dance Music SuperProducer

Times thanked
< 60
Gotta buckle down and try this. My Maschine is collecting dust currently.
Beatport | Timothyallan.com | Twitter | Mixing/Mastering/Tutoring |
EDM Video Tutorials
Megatroid +

Times thanked
< 1
I've just updated to v2.1 and added the "Device Select" feature back in. Now 'BROWSE' brings up device detail, and 'SAMPLING' selects the device, allowing you to then navigate through the devices. This means that you can navigate tracks, select a device, navigate devices and control the device with the macro knobs, record a pattern etc. all without touching the mouse.
Megatroid Battery Brain

www.megatroid.com
Radic +

Times thanked
< 12
This makes me want to buy a maschine
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Dude, I can think of many, many others reasons that would make you want to buy a Maschine - but using it as a seamless controller for Live certainly increases its value as a tool.

That was actually one of my initial reasons for buying it - but all the templates I'd initially found were more hassle than it was worth, and creating your own isnt exactly childsplay.

But yeah, if you have Live, and are in the market for a controller - see if you can cop a Maschine 2nd hand. I got mine for $500 w/postage - which considering the huge sample library and the fact I now use it as a controller for Live, is a pretty sweet deal.

Quote:

« Previous Thread Next Thread »