Sydney

Francois K - Jun 9th - Goldfish

All About:

All About

+Follow

Add Follows

Stay informed about your favourite artists and events. We'll email you whenever there is new events, news or content posted about your favourite things. Simply select those you want to be notified about View my Follows |  Follow Settings

  • Goldfish
  • Francois K
  • Gary Todd
  • Matt Cahill
Cancel Finish

Description:

Goldfish and Paul Strange presents Musik Matters featuring Francois K (NYC) plus local supporting DJ’s: Gary Todd, Matt Cahill, Ben Ashton, Alan Thomas and Phil Toke.

Born and raised in France, Kevorkian’s passion for music led to playing the drums during his teen years....

Reply
  Tools
van_tango +

someone like you

van_tango's Avatar
Joined
Sep '07
Times thanked
< 13
Posts
102
Francois K - Jun 9th - Goldfish
http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/aust...urns_in_winter

I know it isn't for a month, but Francois K is good enough to start getting excited about now.
Anyone know if Goldfish is any good? I have to admit I rarely go out in the cross, despite living fairly close to it.
I've faith there is a future for us;
here as we are, or somewhere else.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
< 1,249
Posts
14,997
Jesus, I've been there once, it was pretty tacky and awful...I guess a name like that will pull the right people and the average dicks that I experienced there might not want to fork out $30 or whatever to get in, but as a whole, it feels very very wrong!!!
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
hellbent +

What is this **** of a thing????

hellbent's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
< 106
Posts
1,435
same night as Chris Leibing.
JovanS +

Registered User

JovanS's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
< 108
Posts
1,436
Any idea how long he might be playing for?
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

legal-affairs's Avatar
Joined
Apr '02
Times thanked
< 512
Posts
12,531

Quote:

Originally Posted by van_tango View Post

http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/aust...urns_in_winter

I know it isn't for a month, but Francois K is good enough to start getting excited about now.
Anyone know if Goldfish is any good? I have to admit I rarely go out in the cross, despite living fairly close to it.

I just went tracking back through the forums to see when that brilliant set he played at Gas was - early 2003, as it turns out. Man, way to feel old . . .
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
Warren G +

label whore

Warren G's Avatar
Joined
Dec '02
Times thanked
< 56
Posts
8,163

Quote:

Originally Posted by JovanS View Post

Any idea how long he might be playing for?

you'd hope he'd play open till close.

interesting venue choice.
JovanS +

Registered User

JovanS's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
< 108
Posts
1,436
I emailed the club today.

His booked minimum 2.5 hours, but as they've gotten a fair bit of equipment for him, expecting to play longer.
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Joined
Sep '04
Times thanked
< 3,403
Posts
11,255

Quote:

Originally Posted by legal-affairs View Post

I just went tracking back through the forums to see when that brilliant set he played at Gas was - early 2003, as it turns out. Man, way to feel old . . .

well, Francois was here for a Space Ibiza NYD set (i think it was 2010, 1st Jan.)

Queens Birthday weekend is getting jam packed already.
Francois should be good.
these words fill this space
Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Wowk's Avatar
Joined
Mar '08
Times thanked
< 507
Posts
7,674


This and Chris Liebing in the same night = happy Wowk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

larrisajones +

boring. thanks ITM

larrisajones's Avatar
Joined
Jun '08
Times thanked
< 374
Posts
7,617
Oh I thought leibing was late may, hurrah for that not being the case!
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

jimmenyC's Avatar
Joined
Feb '11
Times thanked
< 216
Posts
1,495

Quote:

Originally Posted by qoop View Post

well, Francois was here for a Space Ibiza NYD set (i think it was 2010, 1st Jan.)

Queens Birthday weekend is getting jam packed already.
Francois should be good.

NYD 2011. His set was a bit of a letdown. Terrible sound and not being comfortable with his gear....
JovanS +

Registered User

JovanS's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
< 108
Posts
1,436
I haven't heard much of his music & didn't get to see him at Space last time.
How would you guys describe his sound/style?..
special ed +

spesh

special ed's Avatar
Joined
Sep '02
Times thanked
< 2,991
Posts
10,774

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmenyC View Post

NYD 2011. His set was a bit of a letdown. Terrible sound and not being comfortable with his gear....

and the fact he was playing in a carpark.

not the sort of ingedients that warrent a good "experience"
in the right environment, hes brilliant
soundcloud
mixcloud
scott1 +

Registered User

Joined
Jan '04
Times thanked
< 24
Posts
708

Quote:

Originally Posted by JovanS View Post

I haven't heard much of his music & didn't get to see him at Space last time.
How would you guys describe his sound/style?..

Good music : ) He can play anything & that's what great about him given the right space & system.
muse +

Registered User

muse's Avatar
Joined
Jun '02
Times thanked
< 266
Posts
4,016
Last time I saw FK he was playing in a cheesy venue with a cheesey crowd. He played great for about 20mins then matched his music to his surrounds ie. terrible.

Unless Goldfish has drastically changed since the last time i was there, I fear this will go the same way.
special ed +

spesh

special ed's Avatar
Joined
Sep '02
Times thanked
< 2,991
Posts
10,774

Quote:

Originally Posted by muse View Post

He played great for about 20mins then matched his music to his surrounds ie. terrible.

.

Francois Kamelleon
soundcloud
mixcloud
muse +

Registered User

muse's Avatar
Joined
Jun '02
Times thanked
< 266
Posts
4,016
www.instantrimshot.com
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
< 1,249
Posts
14,997
So long as he's back in residency at Cielo in NYC come Monday July 30th eles I'll be pissed!
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
emulator +

arrogant prick

emulator's Avatar
Joined
May '03
Times thanked
< 131
Posts
1,378
I've had the pleasure of seeing him play a 6 hour set, 3 times. He's been nothing short of mindblowing when he's given that scope. One of the best ever.
{strange signals}
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

jimmenyC's Avatar
Joined
Feb '11
Times thanked
< 216
Posts
1,495
This is the thing with FK - it all depends on what you're happy with. As an old fuddy-duddy, I want to hear him do more of an old-skool and very diverse long set. I don't want to hear him doing a short set with the hottest tracks available now - that's something available from most others.

Can I sound anymore 'git orf mi lorn'?
migs +

ayuda me por favor

migs's Avatar
Joined
Sep '02
Times thanked
< 1
Posts
336
Shame about the venue - $10 tap beer - wtf

I hope he pulls out one of his usual epic sets however I too agree that the surrounds might not be suitable for his calibre.

Hope he plays elsewhere if that can be squeezed into his itinerary.
Peace in the World
If there is light in the soul
There will be beauty in the person
If there is beauty in the person
There will be harmony in the house
If there is harmony in the house
There will be order in the nation
If there is order in the nation
There will be peace in the World
Mercury-Drinker +

but still...

Mercury-Drinker's Avatar
Joined
Jan '04
Times thanked
< 43
Posts
2,510
Musik Matters have had a few decent 'underground' artists come through Goldfish this year, so I'm holding hope they know what they're doing and do it right. This means pulling the right crowd. It's a shame Chris Liebing is playing the Cave. I vowed never to go back there after seeing Hernan Cattaneo a little earlier this year. The place was uncomfortably full and the sound was atrocious.
kzzy +

Saturday October 29th..

kzzy's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
< 145
Posts
1,233

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmenyC View Post

This is the thing with FK - it all depends on what you're happy with. As an old fuddy-duddy, I want to hear him do more of an old-skool and very diverse long set. I don't want to hear him doing a short set with the hottest tracks available now - that's something available from most others.

Can I sound anymore 'git orf mi lorn'?

That's all he plays when he is touring?

The only time I've enjoyed FK was at Deep Space - which is literally like going back to his place and him playing all the best shit ever..
Boom Boom
Boom Boom Says DJ Qu (Strength Music, NYC) - Saturday October 26th
More info: http://boomboom.net.au
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

jimmenyC's Avatar
Joined
Feb '11
Times thanked
< 216
Posts
1,495
That's exactly what I'd be after, a Deep Space set.
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

jimmenyC's Avatar
Joined
Feb '11
Times thanked
< 216
Posts
1,495
That's exactly what I'd be after, a Deep Space set.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
< 1,249
Posts
14,997
That's what I'm hoping for in NYC, Deep Space, Francois K on all night...just been reading a few reviews on the place, sounds fucking pricey! But seems everyone shrugs it off as "that's what you get in NYC"
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
Mercury-Drinker +

but still...

Mercury-Drinker's Avatar
Joined
Jan '04
Times thanked
< 43
Posts
2,510

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

That's what I'm hoping for in NYC, Deep Space, Francois K on all night...just been reading a few reviews on the place, sounds fucking pricey! But seems everyone shrugs it off as "that's what you get in NYC"

What exactly is pricey? The drinks? The cost of entry? I'll be in New York over Labour Day Weekend when Electric Zoo is in town. Hoping to catch Chris Liebing, Argy and Francois K while I'm there.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
< 1,249
Posts
14,997
Cost of entry is $25 for Fri/Sat nights, but apparently if you RSVP and get in before 11pm you can avoid that, it's the $14 for a vodka + soda or a rum + coke (plus 20% gratuity tip which is automatically added, like no choice about tipping or not) that people seem to be complaining about the most. Stick to the $8 Corona's from the sounds of things.

Reviews which bag the place bag it for cost of drinks, rudeness of staff and innacuracy of cover charge...like online says $10, door staff say $10, then you get to the pay booth inside and they want $20

Some people complaining about the music lol lots of people saying while it's good, the size/layout is weird.

Only planning on going on Monday if Deep Space with Francois is on, otherwise I'll probably think about going elsewhere
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
mags +

Registered User

mags's Avatar
Joined
Dec '03
Times thanked
< 146
Posts
809
2.5 hours at goldfish does not a deep space set make. Shame. Francois is one of my all times and I've never had the chance to catch him properly. This ain't going to be the night either.
kzzy +

Saturday October 29th..

kzzy's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
< 145
Posts
1,233

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Cost of entry is $25 for Fri/Sat nights, but apparently if you RSVP and get in before 11pm you can avoid that, it's the $14 for a vodka + soda or a rum + coke (plus 20% gratuity tip which is automatically added, like no choice about tipping or not) that people seem to be complaining about the most. Stick to the $8 Corona's from the sounds of things.

Reviews which bag the place bag it for cost of drinks, rudeness of staff and innacuracy of cover charge...like online says $10, door staff say $10, then you get to the pay booth inside and they want $20

Some people complaining about the music lol lots of people saying while it's good, the size/layout is weird.

Only planning on going on Monday if Deep Space with Francois is on, otherwise I'll probably think about going elsewhere

A cheeky bag still only costs $50
Boom Boom
Boom Boom Says DJ Qu (Strength Music, NYC) - Saturday October 26th
More info: http://boomboom.net.au
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
< 1,249
Posts
14,997
Love ya work...looks like that'll be the ticket, though just leads to drinking more, shit's gonna get expensive!
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
scott1 +

Registered User

Joined
Jan '04
Times thanked
< 24
Posts
708

Quote:

Originally Posted by mags View Post

2.5 hours at goldfish does not a deep space set make. Shame. Francois is one of my all times and I've never had the chance to catch him properly. This ain't going to be the night either.

^This...
kzzy +

Saturday October 29th..

kzzy's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
< 145
Posts
1,233

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Love ya work...looks like that'll be the ticket, though just leads to drinking more, shit's gonna get expensive!

This is true.. End up in the hotel room or a strip joint sans FK..
Boom Boom
Boom Boom Says DJ Qu (Strength Music, NYC) - Saturday October 26th
More info: http://boomboom.net.au
Lima +

Registered User

Lima's Avatar
Joined
Dec '04
Times thanked
< 42
Posts
2,889
not keen for this crappy venue but I'm surprized this guy is back in oz and given he is like 60 years old this could be the last time we ever get to see him!
Originally Posted by chimby
Does that make you multi-retarded SurfinBird?
Surgeon +

Registered User

Surgeon's Avatar
Joined
Sep '01
Times thanked
< 9
Posts
430
So any details of set times please? Thanks!
Lima +

Registered User

Lima's Avatar
Joined
Dec '04
Times thanked
< 42
Posts
2,889
1am start > 3 hours
Originally Posted by chimby
Does that make you multi-retarded SurfinBird?
JovanS +

Registered User

JovanS's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
< 108
Posts
1,436

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lima View Post

1am start > 3 hours

Awesome.
Hopefully he decides to kick on for longer then 3 hours.
JovanS +

Registered User

JovanS's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
< 108
Posts
1,436
Saturday!!
Veteran Clubber +

Registered User

Joined
Feb '08
Times thanked
< 0
Posts
82
dress code
can we get in with nikes?
philgood +

PHIL TOKE

philgood's Avatar
Joined
Jul '02
Times thanked
< 8
Posts
749
Francois is on at 12pm and is playing minimum 3hr set
PHIL TOKE
Go to www.ourhousesydney.com for info on upcoming parties
JovanS +

Registered User

JovanS's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
< 108
Posts
1,436
What a crap venue.....
Francois K was good for his 3 hours... wish he played on, but I can't blame him for wanting to get out of there.

What the hell was with the warm up Dj.... couldn't mix & was playing some weird stuff..
garry_todd +

Registered User

Joined
Mar '07
Times thanked
< 19
Posts
618
i was playing late 80s stuff from new york cos i know how wierd francois k gets so was just putting it out there a litlle b4 he played, just so the crowd would know what to expect from him as he plays quite diverse himself..

i played without monitors for my set for the the first time as he was playing internally in traktor and his set up was in front of the monitor and asked if he could turn it off... so had no speakers around me at alll..

but i thought he was good... and was good night in all, i just came from the back specialist that day so i was just grateful i coud stand put my back out the day before traped siatic nerve i was complety done so could not hang round that long to coment on the rest of the night so i hobbled out pretty early...

nice one

garry
golfr +

Registered User

golfr's Avatar
Joined
Apr '06
Times thanked
< 0
Posts
120

Quote:

Originally Posted by garry_todd View Post

i was playing late 80s stuff from new york cos i know how wierd francois k gets so was just putting it out there a litlle b4 he played, just so the crowd would know what to expect from him as he plays quite diverse himself..

i played without monitors for my set for the the first time as he was playing internally in traktor and his set up was in front of the monitor and asked if he could turn it off... so had no speakers around me at alll..

but i thought he was good... and was good night in all, i just came from the back specialist that day so i was just grateful i coud stand put my back out the day before traped siatic nerve i was complety done so could not hang round that long to coment on the rest of the night so i hobbled out pretty early...

nice one

garry

We need more DJs like Garry playing music like this in Sydney djs that know how to complement the headline dj for the night Well in Garry job well done and hope the back sorts it self out soon
philgood +

PHIL TOKE

philgood's Avatar
Joined
Jul '02
Times thanked
< 8
Posts
749
Was a great night! I really enjoyed Gary's set...anyone who plays this track is good in my books!

Media Player
PHIL TOKE
Go to www.ourhousesydney.com for info on upcoming parties
tadtietze +

The Professor

tadtietze's Avatar
Joined
Nov '03
Times thanked
< 2
Posts
419
I thought Garry's selections were superb and he didn't try to bang it out, as too many locals do when they warm up. Shame about the technical issue.

FK was good but not the best I've seen him (when he's firing he's simply mind-bogglingly good). Tried to cram too much in to the three hours; never dull but a bit like reading a really well done Readers Digest version of something much more profound and epic. Some excellent tuneage in amongst it. I suspect it was part of the nature of the venue and the crowd response.

Have just sent off my full review to RA. Should be up after the weekend.

Join Facebook group "COSMIC DISCO" for updates
Reply

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts