Sydney

Mid Week Clubbing in Sydney

Tools
Audiocolour +

Times thanked
< 0
Mid Week Clubbing in Sydney
Just starting this thread as an open discussion on where people like to go...and if they do actually hit clubs during the week...there are some solid nights running and would like to discuss what gets people out on a school night.
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 3,004
short answer no. sydney club scene barely exists on a week night. especially not through winter.

one offs/ concerts/ bars that'd be about it.

i personally dont know of any regular club night that gets a loyal following on a week night.

ironically when i first started clubbing the best club night in sydney was called sensoria and was on a wednesday night. it was one of the first acid house clubs
soundcloud
mixcloud
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 992

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiocolour View Post

what gets people out on a school night.

unemployment
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
lewbylew +

Times thanked
< 24
I do my weekly thing on a Thursday, but that's about it.

You do get a fair few peeps rock up on Thursdays.
Wednesday people (18/19 y.o.'s mainly) go to World Bar and Tuesday and Monday why bother?
I am actually a fish

Last edited by lewbylew: 15-May-12 at 02:43pm

Amosse +

Bring Super8 & Tab to Australia!

Times thanked
< 111
or uni students

How's the Eastern at Bondi I think?
lewbylew +

Times thanked
< 24
Yeah, uni students too. Forgot about them. A friend of mine was "DJing" at a uni bar the other night, they let him play for 10 minutes then got some hipster shit band to play for 30, then got him to play for another 10 minutes, they where doing that the whole night. Why even bother getting a DJ, why not just play 10 minute rock anthems the whole time? Grrr. Uni bars....
I am actually a fish
GeezerTD +

Times thanked
< 0
also interested to get some of the same info, getting tired of the same old same old
Hasaparty +

Times thanked
< 152

Quote:

Originally Posted by special ed View Post

short answer no. sydney club scene barely exists on a week night. especially not through winter.

one offs/ concerts/ bars that'd be about it.

i personally dont know of any regular club night that gets a loyal following on a week night.

ironically when i first started clubbing the best club night in sydney was called sensoria and was on a wednesday night. it was one of the first acid house clubs

The Wall at World Bar on wednesday night is one of the busiest parties in sydney weekly , rain hail or shine

they get bigger numbers weekly then most clubs could dream about on a friday or saturday
June 6th - Danny Byrd (UK) + Hamilton (UK) @ Oxford Art Factory

June 7th - Defected in The House @ Pacha ft Kenny Dope (USA) + Sam Divine (UK) - Ivy
kzzy +

Saturday October 29th..

Times thanked
< 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasaparty View Post

The Wall at World Bar on wednesday night is one of the busiest parties in sydney weekly , rain hail or shine

they get bigger numbers weekly then most clubs could dream about on a friday or saturday

Sounds like a good place to pick up back packers and STDs..
Boom Boom
Boom Boom Says DJ Qu (Strength Music, NYC) - Saturday October 26th
More info: http://boomboom.net.au
Audiocolour +

Times thanked
< 0
haha I basing alot of my opinons on the solid following I see at The Wall and Naked thursdays..seems them there are alot of people keen for a Weds or Thursday night...and yes I am launching a mid week night. But sometime find it hard to get a really good indication of where people in Sydney are at with these types of nights. And most uni events/bars are pretty low key.
andosound +

It's a defence mechanism

Times thanked
< 362
This Thursday night - UGM pres. Tremor at the Burdekin.
Facebook
SOUNDCLOUD MIXCLOUD
Jerry +

Disciple of Jebus

Times thanked
< 32
I remember seeing Chris Lum at a free party on a Monday or Tuesday night circa 2003 at the old Globe and it was rammed… People in Europe go out on weeknights but alas it just doesn’t really happen here unless you’re a student or backpacker… High Times at the Underground Cafe/Candy’s used to be rammed every Thursday in the late 90’s/early 2000’s… When I was unemployed for a few months a couple months back I went out a few times on Wednesday and Thursdays, World Bar on a Thursday was always rammed but it was Indy music…

What I would love to see is on a Tuesday or Wednesday is a night that showcased visiting internationals playing down tempo back to mine type stuff (music they never really play out) that started straight after work, somewhere that had some good food and was nice and chilled…
kzzy +

Saturday October 29th..

Times thanked
< 145
From a touring perspective - to have an artist spend time in Australia on a Tuesday/Wednesday isn't really financially viable. Ideally you want an artist in and out over 5 days playing there respective shows in respective cities..

Hotel Rooms, performance fees all jacks up the costs for other cities and the reality of the matter is that the big artist that you want to actually see on a Tuesday/Wednesday already have a tight schedule and costs are through the roof...

The guys that are more than happy to sleep on the promoters couch aren't probably the type of DJs that people will be running down after work to catch up and listen to..
Boom Boom
lewbylew +

Times thanked
< 24
As if. An artist can stay at a promoters house and people will still come and see him. I don't think there is any correlation at all.
I am actually a fish
kzzy +

Saturday October 29th..

Times thanked
< 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewbylew View Post

As if. An artist can stay at a promoters house and people will still come and see him. I don't think there is any correlation at all.

I'm talking about the artist that people would go see play a "different" set.. ie. your midweek Derrick May, Danny Tenaglia etc,, These are not the type of artist that will be sleeping on the promoters couch unlike a bunch of DJ's who are friends with promoters in Sydney who just "crash" and play a few gigs..

Not really what we call "drawcards"
Boom Boom
lewbylew +

Times thanked
< 24
I'm sure if you brought out Loefah he'd pack out wherever he played (if he was doing a midweek set) and sleep at a mate in Sydney's place.
I am actually a fish
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

I'm sure if you brought out Loefah he'd pack out wherever he played (if he was doing a midweek set) and sleep at a mate in Sydney's place.

Would Loefah sleep on your couch, is the question then....
lewbylew +

Times thanked
< 24
No, but I'm not his friend.
I am actually a fish
Audiocolour +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeezerTD View Post

also interested to get some of the same info, getting tired of the same old same old

My plan is to initially focus on some of the great djs we have locally and then start bringing over an international per month...hopefully people will respond well to that.
Audiocolour +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeezerTD View Post

My plan is to initially focus on some of the great djs we have locally and then start bringing over an international per month...hopefully people will respond well to that.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 992

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmenyC View Post

Would Loefah sleep on your couch, is the question then....

Do you have a nice couch?
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 3,004
tom middleton slept on my couch once. true story
soundcloud
mixcloud
lewbylew +

Times thanked
< 24
I am actually a fish
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

Do you have a nice couch?

Sure, but wifey said if anyone else is ever found sleeping on it, I'll be joining them
lewbylew +

Times thanked
< 24
But why?
I am actually a fish
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 218
Are you asking me?

Maybe because we're a family and the idea of DJ's and friends passed out on our couches is no longer funny or appealing?
lewbylew +

Times thanked
< 24
I suppose. I could imagine DJ's would be the kind of guys who'd smear nutella on the walls and leave skidmarks hey?
I am actually a fish
kzzy +

Saturday October 29th..

Times thanked
< 145

Quote:

I suppose. I could imagine DJ's would be the kind of guys who'd smear nutella on the walls and leave skidmarks hey?

Only when on a Xanax..
Boom Boom

« Previous Thread Next Thread »