Music News

Santigold takes aim at EDM and the industry: “It’s created a dismal landscape for music”

Tools
grapsta +

8 pinballs at the courthouse...yeeeeah

Times thanked
< 25
Santigold takes aim at EDM and the industry: “It’s created a dismal landscape for music”
you tell em girl
Morecowbell +

Times thanked
< 68
She's right, but her comments are nothing we didn't already know.
The Americanisation of dance music is a sad thing. Some speak of it as a positive, as though it's a great gateway into dance music culture for those who wouldn't normally bother with dance music.
In truth, it's probably a primary reason why I'm noticing a proliferation of fuckwits at gigs and club nights who are there simply because they think it's cool, not for the right reasons.
Dexter Ramone +

MAD MEX

Times thanked
< 63
You're right. It has been said before, but I'd argue it needs to be said a lot more by high profile artists.
realkirill +

Times thanked
< 9
i agree.... but that dont know whether that rubbish santigold track is better than LMFAO... big mouth big mouth my my my youve said enough... wow thats some deep lyrics
van_tango +

someone like you

Times thanked
< 13
Santigold is easily one of the most talented pop artists around at the moment and LMFAO are easily one of the biggest musical jokes ever. That said, I hope she isn't taking aim at EDM as a whole, just that rubbish that seems to be coming out of the states a lot.
rdalt13 +

Times thanked
< 9
It seems to me that she was referring to music from pop kids like lmfao, as EDM.
I'm Sorry,
No.
Mr Sleepy +

Times thanked
< 0
sorry, who the fuck is she? never heard of her.. but i kinda agree with some of the things she said.
felixs +

Times thanked
< 1
i believe this is an example of what she's talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxt_v0WF6Y&feature=artistob&playnext=1&li st=TLGpiNgWGDM6k
very formula based song and has over 25 mil views after 15 days. poor form
ezy1000 +

Times thanked
< 19
completely agree with morecowbell. prime example are the turd nuggets in the cave at chinese laundry for jaytech. clearly had nfi what was going on and were just there to be wasted
daverh +

zou bisou

Times thanked
< 478
Gormless!
katiecunningham +

ITM 4 LYF

Times thanked
< 324
http://www.novanation.com.au/lib/ima...fao-101403.jpg
Mercury-Drinker +

but still...

Times thanked
< 43
Bit rich from Santigold. That Big Mouth song is about as disposable as everything else I'm hearing on the radio waves at the moment.
YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
< 182
I actually would have classified her music as pretty much exactly what she describes.
sadtraxx1 +

Times thanked
< 1
I love you Santigold, but get off your high horse! since when does music have to be serious and arty.. like there hasn't been joke bands since day dot. for every crap band there's ten great bands springing up, and alternative non-mainstream music is going great guns right now just ask SANTIGOLD. there's so much great electronic music out there it's obscene- maybe if you wanna find it, turn off the superbowl and have a decent look before you paint ALL electronic "Euro-dance music, Ibiza-style" with the LMFAO brush. EDM 4 LIFE YO
Morecowbell +

Times thanked
< 68
ezy1000, I intended on heading to Jaytech for a look but had friends call me and tell me not to bother as the crowd was treating it like a mosh pit. This comes after several floggers started a circle pit at Digitalism on Friday night. Maybe I'm the fool for being surprised, but honestly, go and 'rage' in the U.S, you twats. What ever happened to dancing to dance music?
Luckily Spice saved my weekend (yet again). Why the hell are Americans so blind to Chicago and Detroit?
alistairrrr +

Times thanked
< 5
Lol who the fuck is this bitch??????????
angy +

DEFQON.1!!!!!!!!!!!

Times thanked
< 244
Her comments are utter BS, the whole "%u201Chire one of three producers, one of a couple of songwriters, and you pretty much get the exact same song every time" phenomenon existed, long, long before dance music got involved. The pop stuff she's talking about barely has any link with credible 'EDM' anyway.
grapsta +

8 pinballs at the courthouse...yeeeeah

Times thanked
< 25
shes probably talking about dance infused pop music anyways
tara_185 +

Times thanked
< 0
is this just sour grapes over the whole Diplo thing??

« Previous Thread Next Thread »