Page 16 of 16
  Tools
Dero13 +

Roar Roar Brisbane Roar!!!

Times thanked
< 1,170

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abziie View Post

There needs to be some serious discussion about whether or not the RSPCA and Animals Australia should continue getting government funding if they are going to continue acting like terrorists.

secret operations. Working with the opposition and people who are hostile to the government. Refusing to
cooperate. secretly using media and
the internet. using bribes and other underhand tactics.

Nah

Now ya just being alarmist & trying to sensationalise the situation
EeeeeeeJ +

Times thanked
< 19
While this thread's on the front page, does anyone know where the cattle trucks on City Road are going? There's no abattoir at Port Melbourne, I don't think.

I thought that they were coming from the Gippsland and being put onto ships. Recently, I've been seeing cattle coming back along City Road and onto Citylink.
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
< 7,031
countdown to the dero SAVE THE SHEEP thread begins....

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

EeeeeeeJ +

Times thanked
< 19
Those sheep are due to be unloaded on Friday.

This time around, Abziie can't allege that the government weren't told.

Quote:

Animals Australia has stepped up its campaign for a ban on live animal exports by producing new footage of animals being slaughtered in Turkey. The latest vision comes just months after footage of cattle being mistreated in Indonesia prompted the Federal Government to temporarily ban live exports to that country.
Ms White says the footage was taken recently in Turkey at abattoirs that slaughter Australian livestock and shows cattle and sheep having their throats cut while being hoisted up by their legs.

"Now this absolutely breaches the OAE guidelines, the international guidelines that the Department of Agriculture have said for years had to be the base-level standard," she said. "So it has to be asked why export permits have to be provided to Turkey and why MLA and the exporters didn't care enough to determine what were routine practices in that country."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-1...iament/2845320

Quote:

The Agriculture Minister, Joe Ludwig, said in a statement that the footage was provided to his office last week and was referred to the Farmer review. It would report back by the end of this month
Ms White also slammed politicians from the Liberal and Labor parties for not supporting the live export ban bills, saying that the lack of laws protecting such animals was "immoral". The first bill, a private bill by independent MP Andrew Wilkie, aimed to phase out the trade by 2014. The second bill, initiated by Australian Greens MP Adam Bandt, sought an immediate ban.
Mr Wilkie also called on Opposition Leader Tony Abbott to reprimand Chris Back over the Liberal senator's questioning of Animals Australia during an upper house inquiry hearing this month. Senator Back suggested a taxi driver used by the animal welfare organisation paid Indonesian meat workers to abuse cattle for footage

http://www.theage.com.au/environment...818-1iz2i.html
EeeeeeeJ +

Times thanked
< 19
With this thread gone as far as page 3, more video footage has been supplied to the media.

Quote:

Investigators working for Animals Australia - the group that uncovered horrific cruelty to Australian cattle in May last year, prompting a one month suspension of trade - shot footage at Jakarta abattoirs in late January. The fresh allegations will place pressure on Agriculture Minister Joe Ludwig - who was criticised for mishandling the controversy last year - ahead of the Cabinet reshuffle.

The footage, seen by The Age, includes a slaughterman at Temur Petir stabbing at the face of a cow with a blunt metal file while it is in a restraint box. .... The breaches include; failing to check the animal is dead before processing its body, keeping the animal in restraint for too long, interfering with the wounds after the throat cut and hosing the animal with water prior to and just after the throat cut.
It has based this view on information from the investigator who saw ear tags that may relate to an Australian exporter as well as the slaughter of one animal that resembled an Australian breed of cattle - local cattle are much smaller.

Animals Australia's campaign director Lyn White told The Age that it was clear the new regulatory system cannot and would not provide protection for Australian cattle. "The government hoped that this new system would quell public concerns. It has failed its first independent test," Ms White said. She believes 62 abattoirs have been approved to slaughter and she said to suggest that there would be daily compliance with basic standards of welfare in all slaughterhouses was "ludicrous." Ms White said there needed to be more severe penalties.

A meat industry source said Caking was a large, old, government-owned abattoir in East Jakarta. It was highly unlikely that it was Australian cattle being slaughtered there, he said. Temu Petir was a newer abattoir in north Jakarta. The source said he believed whatever wrongdoing the video showed were "not major animal welfare incidents, but they are things that are going to require corrective actions".

http://www.theage.com.au/environment...228-1u0sq.html
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,739
... and the Australian gov't and MLA and everyone involved has refused to comment, closed ranks, and generally moving to cover up the inevitable result of their decision to resume the trade.

Fact is that the Indonesians are always going to mistreat our cattle, they don't give a fuck what we think, and the Australian government is always going to side with the short term interests of the exporters over basic animal rights.
Hopped in the car and torpe'ed to the shack
Of Shaheed, "We gotta go back" when he said
"Why?" I said, "We gotta go
'Cause I left my wallet in El Segundo"

http://twitter.com/derekbradley
http://untappd.com/user/dbb618

https://plus.google.com/117630500124...73/posts?hl=en
gravyishot +

this stupid facebook bar at the bottom is for ****s

Times thanked
< 716
mm yeah

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226267169959
lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106
it was pretty horrific on lateline last night, even for a true blue meat eater like myself.
I think they really have consider banning live exports to that country. Just do it here and send it over.
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375

...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
< 1,338
Cant remember if i posted this last time, but anyway.

If you support animal welfare, you should support Australian live export to Indonesia. Here's why.

1. Indonesia will always import live animals. They don't have the capacity to produce enough themselves, and never will. They don't have the electrical system, nor the refrigeration infrastructure at the distribution, retail or consumer level, to import meat slaughtered elsewhere. The live animals must be transported as close to the end consumer as possible.

2. So, live animals imports it is. India has been mentioned as an alternative source, South America is another. Both involve far longer boat trips, which would be bad for the animal's welfare. On top of this, there won't be the same outcry as here when mistreatment comes to light. There will be no stunners, training or accreditation. It will ne a free for all. If the situation in Indonesia ever gets better, it will be due to pressure from the Australian public. And that will only come if we are the ones exporting the cattle.

So you see, banning live exports to Indonesia will actually make the animal welfare situation worse.

I can't see how that would be a good outcome.

Later on, I'll post on economics of the trade.

Last edited by silverspoon: 29-Feb-12 at 10:24am

wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 333
So we need to put up with the horrendous mistreatment of our animals so other animals don't suffer a worse fate. What a terrible situation.
"...and I know that I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with. And I know that given the choice I probably wouldn't have chosen you as friends but I just wanna say that over the years I've come to regard you as........ people I met."
- Arnold Rimmer, Red Dwarf.
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,739
bullshit

Indonesia has already halved its live import quota, and is aiming for complete self sufficiency.

What then for our cattle farmers, when all the northern abbitoirs are mothballed?

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...australia.html

silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
< 1,338

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbb618 View Post

Indonesia has already halved its live import quota, and is aiming for complete self sufficiency.

I LOLd when I heard about them planning to become self sufficient. All the Indonesians I've spoken to about it did too. It's not going to happen. It's just not.

The Indonesians are a proud people. They don't like westerners telling them what to do, and they really don't like it when we embarrass them. That announcement was just them reminding us of this.

Now, I haven't been keeping tabs on how the quota reduction has been going since they made that announcement, but I'm pretty sure it'll will be fairly short term only. I'll come to why when I talk about the economic situation.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
< 1,338
And if they do become self sufficient?

Then it won't be our cattle they are mistreating, so it won't be our problem.

And if the farmers and abs can't find new markets, they go out of business. That has always been the farmer's lot in life, there is no point producing a product if you can't sell it
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 14,155
I think really, what we should do is urge restraint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

if you didnt want to hear self righteous lefty rants, you shouldn't have taken drugs and listened to dance music with people holding arts degrees imo.

silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
< 1,338

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

I think really, what we should do is urge restraint.

On all sides. After all, we need them.
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
< 1,726
Silva, agreed.

This call for total bans is stupid if you actually care about animal welfare.

The moment Indonesia imports cows from India or Brazil they will infect their own cows with mad cow disease which is very common in both countries and contagious. At that point not only will the animals be just as badly treated they will also be disease ridden. And we will lose any leverage to affect change in Indonesia.

I got called an animal hater for bringing this up last time when I pointed out that the total ban was a stupid idea. Apparently the animal rights movement only wants rights for animals born in Australia.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
gravyishot +

Times thanked
< 716
Except you won't hear anywhere near an outcry if its pigs being mistreated in western Sydney.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 14,155
Well Muslims are unlikely to be mistreating the pigs for food.

Quote:

if you didnt want to hear self righteous lefty rants, you shouldn't have taken drugs and listened to dance music with people holding arts degrees imo.

gravyishot +

Times thanked
< 716
*cough*
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 14,155
Nah, I was saying people don't care about the stuff in Sydney because they aren't muslims.

Quote:

dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,739
good to see the usual suspects endorsing animal cruelty in the name of trade and "the darkies will do it if we don't"

Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
good to see the usual suspects endorsing the use of ad hominem attacks rather than actually debating issues.
gravyishot +

Times thanked
< 716

Quote:

good to see the usual suspects endorsing animal cruelty in the name of trade and "the darkies will do it if we don't"

Good to see the slacktivist ****s jumping on the bandwagon of a popular cause and ignoring the same things happening in their own country
Dero13 +

Times thanked
< 1,170
Ban exporting defenceless animals to torture chambers for profit NOW!

Oh yeh "its only an animal who cares"
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
< 1,209
why do cows have horns dero?
Vital +

Times thanked
< 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dero13 View Post

Defenceless?
Spoiler:

It's us or them, Dero. Step up and repesent in the fight against bovine terrorism.

Fat and docile, big and dumb
They look so stupid, they aren't much fun
Cows aren't fun

They eat to grow, they grow to die
They die to be eaten at the hamburger fry
Cows well done

Nobody thunk it, nobody knew
No one imagined the great cow guru
Cows are one

He hid in the forest, read books with great zeal
He loved Che Guevera, a revolutionary veal
Cow Tse Tongue

He spoke about justice, but nobody stirred
He felt like an outcast, alone, in the herd.
Cow doldrums

He mooed we must fight, escape or we'll die
Cows gathered around, cause the stakes were so high
Bad cow pun

But then he was captured, stuffed into a crate
Loaded onto a truck, where he rode to his fate
Cows are bummed

He was a scrawny calf, who looked rather woozy
No one suspected he was packing an Uzi
Cows with guns

They came with a needle to stick in his thigh
He kicked for the groin, he pissed in their eye
Cow well hung

Knocked over a tractor and ran for the door
Six gallons of gas flowed out on the floor
Run cows run!

He picked up a bullhorn and jumped up on the hay
We are free roving bovines, we run free today
We will fight for bovine freedom
And hold our large heads high
We will run free with the Buffalo, or die...
Cows with guns

They crashed the gate in a great stampede
Tipped over a milk truck, torched all the feed
Cows have fun

Sixty police cars were piled in a heap
Covered in cow pies, covered up deep
Much cow dumg

Black smoke rising, darkening the day
Twelve burning McDonald's, have it your way

We will run free with the buffalo, or die
Cows with guns

The President said "Enough is Enough!
These uppity cattle, it's time to get tough"
Cow dung flung

The newspapers gloated, folks sighed with relief
Tomorrow at noon, they would all be ground beef
Cows on buns

The cows were surrounded, they waited and prayed
They mooed their last moos,
They chewed their last hay
Cows out-gunned

The order was given, turn cows to Whoppers
Enforced by the might of ten thousand coppers
But on the horizon, surrounding the shoppers
Came the deafening roar, of chickens, in choppers!

We will run free with the buffalo, or die
Cows with guns
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
< 1,209
try and save the koalas next, dero
EeeeeeeJ +

Times thanked
< 19
BSE is transmitted by eating the flesh of an infected animal. Infection is most likely when the animal's brains or neural tissue like around the spinal cord, as that is the part that gets most inflamed. If a BSE infected animal lands in the country, that alone will not lead to infection of others.

"We can't abstain from supplying it because everyone else will if we don't" is mostly weak. If everybody said that about carbon pollution, pollution could only steadily increase. Somebody has to act first to provide a positive example and to demonstrate that people are acting.

There might be a "We need to keep supplying it so that we can regulate it" argument but that only stands so long as you can regulate it.
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
It's a tricky one, everybody wishes animals where treated humanely and maybe even had a half decent life on the farm. But are we prepared to pay for it at the checkout?
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
Good point Eeeej.

The disease that's reached epidemic proportions in Indian and Brazilian cattle is Foot and Mouth disease which is very contagious. It's been a while since we last looked at this so I had mixed up the two diseases in my head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dero13 View Post

Oh yeh "its only an animal who cares"

Remember last time we had this thread?

Remember how early on in the thread I said calling for a total ban on cattle exports was stupid because farmers don't keep cattle as pets and as soon as it looks like they can't sell them, they will start shooting them?

Remember that I said as soon as a farmer shoots a cow on tv you guys will lose the moral high ground with the public and in the end there will be no improvement to the conditions of cattle so you'd be better aiming for a compromise early on and whenever the cattle industry cries about some condition you force on them just re-air the footage until they give in?

Remember how you and DBB618 then went on to say that me arguing against a total ban meant I hated animals and wanted to torture them?

Remember that the moment a farmer shot a cow on TV the public became unsure who had the moral high ground and the total ban got called off?

Remember how nothing of value in the field of improving the conditions of animals in Indonesia happened as a result of the total ban?

And yet again we have you muppets calling for a total ban even though there is no chance it will ever lead to the improvement of the lives of animals in Indonesia and in fact will decrease our ability to negotiate to improve their conditions.

And you have the temerity to say I want animals to be tortured....

Oh I forget only animals in Australia matter.
Dero13 +

Times thanked
< 1,170

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vital View Post

Defenceless?

Spoiler:

It's us or them, Dero. Step up and repesent in the fight against bovine terrorism.

Looks like them won that one!

Serves the coward right for taking up such a barbaric hobby

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post

It's a tricky one, everybody wishes animals where treated humanely and maybe even had a half decent life on the farm. But are we prepared to pay for it at the checkout?

It's the humane thing to do so of course I would be prepared to pay more
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,739

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griggle View Post

Good point Eeeej.

The disease that's reached epidemic proportions in Indian and Brazilian cattle is Foot and Mouth disease which is very contagious. It's been a while since we last looked at this so I had mixed up the two diseases in my head.

Remember last time we had this thread?

Remember how early on in the thread I said calling for a total ban on cattle exports was stupid because farmers don't keep cattle as pets and as soon as it looks like they can't sell them, they will start shooting them?

Remember that I said as soon as a farmer shoots a cow on tv you guys will lose the moral high ground with the public and in the end there will be no improvement to the conditions of cattle so you'd be better aiming for a compromise early on and whenever the cattle industry cries about some condition you force on them just re-air the footage until they give in?

Remember how you and DBB618 then went on to say that me arguing against a total ban meant I hated animals and wanted to torture them?

Remember that the moment a farmer shot a cow on TV the public became unsure who had the moral high ground and the total ban got called off?

Remember how nothing of value in the field of improving the conditions of animals in Indonesia happened as a result of the total ban?

And yet again we have you muppets calling for a total ban even though there is no chance it will ever lead to the improvement of the lives of animals in Indonesia and in fact will decrease our ability to negotiate to improve their conditions.

And you have the temerity to say I want animals to be tortured....

Oh I forget only animals in Australia matter.

remember how I said that torture would continue in Indonesia (it has) and that by allowing the trade to resume our government and yourself are tacitly supporting that torture (which is still occuring, business as usual)

remember how I said the Indonesians don't give a shit about our demands (they have proved they don't)

remember how I said the Indonesians will fuck over our farmers if they get a chance (they have, by halving the quota and aiming for full self sufficiency)

in the meantime Australian jobs have been lost in a widespread arc across the north as meatworks are closed and the value-add is taken away from Aussies ... and the price of meat continues to climb above inflation in local shops.

gravyishot +

Times thanked
< 716

Quote:

in the meantime Australian jobs have been lost in a widespread arc across the north as meatworks are closed and the value-add is taken away from Aussies ... and the price of meat continues to climb above inflation in local shops.

... meanwhile ...

Quote:

just got off a conference call with an English guy working in Singapore who is currently in China and wanted to talk to me about how to make obsolete a whole bunch of highly paid American based sysadmins by using application orchestration software maintained by code monkeys in the Philippines.

HEY LOOK, A HYPOCRITICAL SLACKTIVIST.

take it to facebook.
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,739
and how is outsourcing IT jobs which are increasingly obsolete due to sophisticated software the same as moving the same job to a different country where the known outcome is the torture of animals?

FWIW I don't even use Facebook, how about you take your name calling there?

gravyishot +

Times thanked
< 716

Quote:

and how is outsourcing IT jobs which are increasingly obsolete due to sophisticated software the same as moving the same job to a different country where the known outcome is the torture of animals?

... effectively ignoring all recent evidence that Australian abattoirs torture animals.

It's OK dbb618. People know you care now, and that's all that matters.
Dero13 +

Times thanked
< 1,170
Go Animals!
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,739
and the torture continues, and our farmers continue to turn a blind eye ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-1...unning/4020566

"I think the flaws are so clearly shown in the system that it took Animals Australia once again to highlight breaches and bring them to the attention of the Government before action was taken," she said.

"Any system that is reliant on a charity to be its watchdog simply cannot be relied upon to protect the welfare of animals."

Labor backbencher Kelvin Thomson, who has long campaigned for mandatory stunning of cattle before they are slaughtered, says the companies should have had their licences suspended or cancelled.

"In my view 37 breaches is way too many and the two exporters should have their licences suspended or even cancelled," he said.

"I note that the Department's deputy secretary has said that if further animal welfare breaches occur they would face the possible loss of their export licence but you have to wonder how many chances they get.

"When the trade was resumed last year after being suspended, the Government said the industry was on notice. So I think the public would expect that any exporters still found to be treating animals inhumanely would be run out of the industry."

dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,739
and the torture and brutality continues. I hope all the supporters of live animal exports have the integrity to watch the video of what they are supporting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-2...kistan/4284028

"At least 10,000 Australian sheep sent to Pakistan have been slaughtered, with Pakistani newspapers reporting a video which they say shows some of the animals being clubbed to death and others buried alive."

EeeeeeeJ +

Times thanked
< 19
This is a public relations disaster for the live animal export industry, just like the holocaust was a public relations disaster for the SS.

It will be interesting to see how much scrutiny there is of what happened. If Pakistani law doesn't pursue it, the Australian media may still find people to question.

There doesn't seem to have been a quarantine order to slaughter the sheep. It does seem that somebody in Pakistan was being paid to feed the sheep, to care for them and to keep them in saleable condition. They shouldn't be getting any further business.

If they weren't ordered to do it, that leaves rogue feedlot workers battering sheep for fun.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,010
The sheep in question hd been rejected by Bahrain and were all due to be destroyed when the company in question stepped in and bought them- due to all the debate over what to do with them I'd suspect that a fair number of them were in very poor condition and needed to be euthanised anyway. It doesn't excuse the apparent methods, but it makes it a lot more clearer as to why it probably happened, this was basically a cut price load of sheep and I'd assume the company that bought them was trying not to waste money getting rid of the ones it couldn't use for meat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,739
all you animal torture lovers will be tuned to 4 corners tonight, I'm sure ...

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stori...02/3623727.htm

how did a major exporter lose control of a shipment of sheep in Pakistan, originally intended for Bahrain? Why was the Australian Government rebuffed by Pakistan when they tried to stop the cull? What does this gruesome episode say about the future of the live export trade?

Local authorities said the cull was carried out humanely. Pictures taken at the scene tell another story. This is a story the industry doesn't want told - you be the judge.

gravyishot +

Times thanked
< 716
OK Dero.
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,739
so you are going to watch it? cool.

or you are going to deliberately dig your head in the sand?

let me know for future reference

Der13 +

Times thanked
< 63
My guess is he will dig his hand in the sand like all the other hipsters!
gravyishot +

Times thanked
< 716
Have better things to do.
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
< 1,378
beef tastes better than lamb

I'd rather kill a sheep though
Page 16 of 16