The DJ Booth

wav. vs mp3

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
myszka1266 +

Times thanked
< 0
wav. vs mp3
hey people so i might have a gig at a club in the up coming month and wanted to know what everyone thought about this. before you say never use mp3's i should mention that i'd only be using 320kbps mp3's, so the high quality ones. i've read that this is a topic that doesn't have a right or a wrong but i'd still like to know what you think? thanks
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,703
No issues what so ever.
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
< 1,489
no problem with high quality mp3 imo.
Kent +

Times thanked
< 19
Let your ears decide. The sonic difference between 320k mp3s and original WAV files is usually subtle. For most dancefloor situations the audience is not going to be able to notice any difference. mp3s are much more convenient to lug around (much easier than 4 crates of vinyl too) and don't forget the mp3's ID3 tags that are really useful. Most new CD/mp3 'media' players are able to search ID3.
stuff

Last edited by Kent: 20-May-12 at 07:36pm

brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
< 60
AIFF is the way to go in my opinion.

You get the best of tagging, and quality.

(But not filesize! )
BrendanClay.com | SoundOfSPOiLT.com | SequentialSydney.com

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

12 Sep | Crane Fridays with Luke Chable & Matt Clay [ Crane Bar, 32 Bayswater Road, Potts Point ]
19 Sep | Fridays at The Cidery Bar & Kitchen [ 389 Pitt Street, Sydney ]

> Gigatools
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,318
320K MP3 is fine, you really need a high quality system to really notice the difference, WAV is perhaps a little punchier, but 99% of people would struggle to pick the difference
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
< 352

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendanClay View Post

AIFF is the way to go in my opinion.

You get the best of tagging, and quality.

(But not filesize! )

What about FLAC?
Kennyk +

Times thanked
< 8
320k mp3's..... Doooooooo it.

SONIDO
Civic Underground 28th September

ROBERT HOOD (Underground Resistance, M-Plant, Detroit/USA)
Andrew Wowk
Tom Harwood
Ryan Kenna
Andy Myatt

Soundcloud
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26
I think this is a decision we all have to make ourselves, use your own ears, if you can't tell the difference then why not use the MP3's.

We all have different opinions on this topic because we all have different ears, minds and we all play on different systems....
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,703
No one has good enough ears to discern any noticeable difference at those extreme volumes in a club. Wavs aren't vinyl, you're not going to hear anything magical about them.

It's different in a purpose built environment to test, but that is irrelevant. Clubs are too loud.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26
Loud isn't the issue, it's the fidelity of the sound system and as most club systems are crap you are probably right in a lot of cases!
Personally i prefer to keep things as good as i can, you never know when you'll play on a system where you can tell the difference!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
< 749
tbh i heard an mp3 being played on a kick arse funktion one system in fabric london, and it didn't matter. still sounded kick arse.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,703

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren View Post

Loud isn't the issue, it's the fidelity of the sound system and as most club systems are crap you are probably right in a lot of cases!
Personally i prefer to keep things as good as i can, you never know when you'll play on a system where you can tell the difference!

Of course loudness is an issue. Ear fatigue sets in incredibly fast at those levels, which throws any argument about super high quality systems right out the window.

In a real world club example, there is no discernible difference between Wav and 320mp3. There is with Vinyl, but what you're hearing is actually a degradation in sound which we perceive as "better". Even that difference can be harder to spot at club levels.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26
You are probably right in a lot of cases, i have been to a lot of clubs where the system is a lot louder an distorted than it needs to be, in the real world clubs are too loud and ear fatigue is always a issue.
In the studio we can walk away for an hour now and then but in a club you have to keep playing, gradually turning up the monitors and system with every mix!
i still believe i can hear the deference, maybe it is all about psychoacoustics but i can only talk about my experience!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
travellingpom +

Times thanked
< 9
depends on the rig when playing out. AIFF/WAV at home with a decent headphone monitor such as on the ecler mixer range than you can instantly hear the difference with a good set of cans. I notice the levels dont jump around so much on the mixer and is much more controlled on the bass. everyones personal taste though, i am still on the school of thinking that decent rcas also make a difference though many would dispute this!
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26
It all adds up, file types, players, cables, mixer, crossover, EQ, amps, speakers, room acoustics and of cause our ears, brains and weather we convince our selves it all sounds the same or not!!! Such is life!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
< 83
Decent RCAs are very important - rocked up to a gig and they were using some swiped from a tv (had the third cable) - the punch wasn't there!
Dragon Dreaming Festival - 25-27 October @ Canberra - Prog/Psytrance

Soliton Drop Festival - 10-12 January @ NSW - Prog/Psytrance

Hard NV - 1 February - @NV Nightclub, Canberra - Hard Techno

Brotherhood - 8 February @Canberra Warehouse - Techno/Trance

Kazuki.com.au
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 3,007
320kbps mp3s are fine for any club environment. and the reason is it's highly unlikely the soundsystem in any club in australia is tuned well enough to make a noticable audible difference.
wavs, flac and aiff produce a more lossless quality sound. but unless the sound system can replicate this, its unoticable. You can tell the difference in a good pair of headphones.

funktion one soundsytem is a good example on that you can tell the differnce in quality, but again, it needs to be tuned correctly. and thats alos only to someone who has a good ear for the nuances in music,
long story short, punters wouldn't be able to tell the differnce

the only thing that you need to consider is (assuming you play cd's) fitting several mp3s on one disc, as opposed to only a couple of AIFF or WAV files, per disc, due to size
soundcloud
mixcloud

Last edited by special ed: 31-May-12 at 11:56am

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,318

Quote:

Originally Posted by special ed View Post

the only thing that you need to consider is (assuming you play cd's) fitting several mp3s on one disc, as opposed to only a couple of AIFF or WAV files, per disc, due to size

"A couple" is a bit of an exaggeration there don't you think? 750MB CDs easily fit 8-10 tracks in .WAV or .CDA format...depending on the minute length of each track...sure, you can pack in mental amounts of MP3s, but I don't see any real point in doing that unless you burn 2 copies of each set of tracks so you don't find yourself wanting to mix in a track which is on the disc that's already playing.

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 3,007
tbh i thought .WAVs were much bigger than that?
well there you go.

cd's are sooooo last decade anyway
soundcloud
mixcloud
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,318
Naah, WAVs the same size, more or less as CDA, so just think a normal DJ mix CD, you can fit that much stuff on there.

b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234
I actually find wav's are way too harsh for most club systems. Stick with the MP3's.
Wats clubing by yourself like and dose enyone do it
Kent +

Times thanked
< 19
Do you find audio CD as harsh as WAVs? Just curious.
stuff
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
< 4,515
Haven't read the thread but I'm sure this has been said.

99% if not 100% of the crowd won't even be able to tell the difference between 320kb mp3 and WAV. Heck, most of the club systems are pretty shit anyway and you won't notice a difference on them.
Kent +

Times thanked
< 19
Yep, it's been said.
stuff
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,703
RCA isn't even balanced...
b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent View Post

Do you find audio CD as harsh as WAVs? Just curious.

Depends on the size of the CD.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalgrub View Post

Decent RCAs are very important - rocked up to a gig and they were using some swiped from a tv (had the third cable) - the punch wasn't there!

For reliability, yes for sure.

Otherwise a couple of wire coat hangers would be more than ample to get an unbalanced line level audio signal the 20 or so centimetres it needs to travel from the CD player to the mixer, and with zero impact on sound quality.

There's not a 'punch' of difference in sound quality between a set of RCAs stripped from a cheap AV lead set versus a $100+ Monster branded variety, other than durability.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_bop View Post

I actually find wav's are way too harsh for most club systems. Stick with the MP3's.

What on earth are you talking about!
Kent +

Times thanked
< 19
^ I wondered how long it would take.
stuff
b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234
Same.
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
< 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

There's not a 'punch' of difference in sound quality between a set of RCAs stripped from a cheap AV lead set versus a $100+ Monster branded variety, other than durability.

I subscribed to this school of thought for a long time.

That was, until, I had some sound quality issues with my Serato SL3 when using the "Bass Kleph setup method" (i.e. using a female to female USB cable to connect the two RCA's). I played a gig where the sound was incredibly toppy, slightly distorted and all round, just crap!

Since this time, I began using Monster RCA cables (the THX Certified range), and I immediately noticed that considerably warmth and indeed, punch, was apparent!

Wouldn't go back!

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

12 Sep | Crane Fridays with Luke Chable & Matt Clay [ Crane Bar, 32 Bayswater Road, Potts Point ]

> Gigatools
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26
To my ears RCA's make a huge difference, but each to there own!!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234
Put it this way, if you buy Monster Cables you won't get a worse sound than standard RCA's so why not?
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_bop View Post

Put it this way, if you buy Monster Cables you won't get a worse sound than standard RCA's so why not?

You can get them for decent prices from Amazon US.
Tech-One
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
< 13
There's more to MP3's than the bitrate that has an effect on output quality. If MP3 bitrate is the basis of making a comparison then you all have a lot to learn. It's like comparing cars engine size and saying bigger engine capacity is better.
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
< 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

No one has good enough ears to discern any noticeable difference at those extreme volumes in a club. Wavs aren't vinyl, you're not going to hear anything magical about them.

It's different in a purpose built environment to test, but that is irrelevant. Clubs are too loud.

Actually, you're wrong.

The bigger the sound reinforcement system, the bigger the perceivable difference between audio quality is between good, bad and otherwise. Think amplitude...
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurntableTech View Post

There's more to MP3's than the bitrate that has an effect on output quality. If MP3 bitrate is the basis of making a comparison then you all have a lot to learn. It's like comparing cars engine size and saying bigger engine capacity is better.

Are you saying my 7'5litre F350 work ute isn't better then my 5.7litre F100 farm ute..... LOL

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurntableTech View Post

Actually, you're wrong.

The bigger the sound reinforcement system, the bigger the perceivable difference between audio quality is between good, bad and otherwise. Think amplitude...

You are so right, it's a lot easier to get quality sound out of a small system, i'm never afraid of installing small bars but large clubs are a whole new ball game and i have to put a lot more thought into room acoustics and the little things like cabling!

I wounder if i can some how set up CDJ2000's to not read MP3's at all,,,, then i would be happy, but everyone would think i am a bigger prick than i actually am!!!!!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas View Post

You can get them for decent prices from Amazon US.

Are any of the Monster cables not ridiculously hard to plug and unplug though? I've used similar high end RCA's before and it's nearly impossible to unplug them and they are completely unsuitable for any sort of usage that involves frequent plugging and unplugging.

I broke my last set doing that, I work at a Audio/Electronics wholesaler so I've used a few different ones have found them all the same.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26
Amphenol make a good RCA that gets a great connection but can be removed add some decent Mogami cable and you have a great usable cable!!!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 123

Quote:

Amphenol make a good RCA that gets a great connection but can be removed add some decent Mogami cable and you have a great usable cable!!!

Cheers dude I'll have a look, I think one of the guys here knows how to put cables together. Otherwise I've done Ethernet cables myself I imagine it's the same idea.

Ghostman +

Times thanked
< 4
I always buy wav
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

Cheers dude I'll have a look, I think one of the guys here knows how to put cables together. Otherwise I've done Ethernet cables myself I imagine it's the same idea.

Its not.... ethernet cables are crimped.

RCA cables are soldered and heatshrinked....

If you have soldered before? go for gold... if not get some tips on how to do it properly first so you get the best connection.
Tech-One
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas View Post

Its not.... ethernet cables are crimped.

RCA cables are soldered and heatshrinked....

If you have soldered before? go for gold... if not get some tips on how to do it properly first so you get the best connection.

Well then, sounds like I'll just get one of the techs down stairs to do it for me.

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,318

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post

I always buy wav

I always think “I should buy WAV”, but then I buy so seldomly, adding tracks to list every so often and then a solid 2 hour session finding more tracks, so often buy like 40+ at a time…and when all is said and done, adding an extra $1 per track to the total price hurts quite a bit so I stick to MP3

Stupid when I used to buy $20 12” singles all the fucking time, but there you go

kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Stupid when I used to buy $20 12” singles all the fucking time, but there you go

I know the feeling, i buy only WAV and Vinyl but i always freak out at the checkout when buying files but i never worry about the cost of vinyl!! maybe i'm just a little nuts!!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
< 60
I prefer AIFF to WAV, simply because of the ID tagging capability.

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

> Gigatools
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
< 13

Quote:

You can drive a van over them. I think they make them in Australia? Or at least they were developed by Amphenol in Australia. They're the best bang for buck RCA.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26
Not sure if driving a van over a RCA is a good idea but they are a rock solid RCA, i've been using them for a long time!
Yeah, American company but they use to make the XLR series here, i doubt they are still made here, Amphenol use to be over in Keysborough i think but i haven't been there since maybe 91.

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »