Australian $ watch...

Tools
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
< 1,291

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cranker View Post

you can do it at Australia Post Officers in Sydney, maybe google and see if its the same for Perth, no fee and good rates, I got 0.9680 yesterday, gotta be happy with that

judging from their website, most aus post branches can do this. The limit is $1500 however....so it may take a few trips if you want to do more!
Funky Resonations - 8pm (GMT+10) Every 2nd Tuesday on www.boost.fm

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

yep, I've had a few people do me from behind while I've only done one

ladyinred +

See you Space Samurai...

Times thanked
< 3,166
this is from their website.

http://auspost.com.au/personal/foreign-currency.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbomb203 View Post

Sausages make everything better astro. FACT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameszabiela

I have to disagree with regards to the sausages...

mikewebster +

Professionally LDN'd

Times thanked
< 157
Heh, that's retarded.

They have a section that goes on to say ID requirements if your order is over AUD$2000 but then they say your order maximum is AUD$1500...

jerks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum

Heyyyy, it's fucking Mike Webster

Abir +

Times thanked
< 159
The strong AUD made me think about a US trip for the past couple of weeks, so I just booked flights to LA, return from Vegas in April.

Gonna hit Coachella and the Vegas pool parties.
brye24 +

Times thanked
< 10
yer limit of 1500 is a bit annoying...I was thinking of exchanging around 10 K haha
mikewebster +

Professionally LDN'd

Times thanked
< 157
You might want to visit a bank/xe trader then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum

Heyyyy, it's fucking Mike Webster

VanBuurenisGod +

BRTG

Times thanked
< 2,866

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abir View Post

The strong AUD made me think about a US trip for the past couple of weeks, so I just booked flights to LA, return from Vegas in April.

Gonna hit Coachella and the Vegas pool parties.

Yeah, my mates are pretty keen to head to Vegas for my Bucks party...

Sounds like a fucken win idea to me
"My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence"

#BRTG
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by brye24 View Post

Contemplating investing in some USD. Does any1 know anywhere in Perth that you can trade AUD for USD without incurring a fee?

If they are not charging you a fee they will be burning you on the exchange rate. If you want to do large amounts it is likely that you will be better off with a flat fee.

If you have $10K you should also bear in mind that if turn your $A into $US cash to stick under the bed, you won't be earning interest on it, so you will need the $A to appreciate quite quickly to make any profit, given your transaction costs at both ends. If you are planning to take the cash on a US trip, you will need to bear in mind that if your cash gets stolen, that;s the end of it (or try to find a travel insurance policy that offers very generous terms for stolen cash).
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
brye24 +

Times thanked
< 10
Yer so basically they can either offer a rate inclusive of the amount they are taking out, or a rate with a percentage that goes to them. Am I right here?? Pretty much all about looking around and finding the best value.

At this stage I won't be taking it over to the US, it is purely for investment purposes. If the dollar for dollar rate goes down to say .70 c in a year or two then I shud still make a bit. But yer I guess it won't be that much and is it really worth it? I think I've just talked myself out of it haha
VanBuurenisGod +

BRTG

Times thanked
< 2,866
Looks like the Euro could be in for a bit of a battering over the next few weeks

luck o' the irish eh?
"My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence"

#BRTG
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by brye24 View Post

Yer so basically they can either offer a rate inclusive of the amount they are taking out, or a rate with a percentage that goes to them. Am I right here?? Pretty much all about looking around and finding the best value.

At this stage I won't be taking it over to the US, it is purely for investment purposes. If the dollar for dollar rate goes down to say .70 c in a year or two then I shud still make a bit. But yer I guess it won't be that much and is it really worth it? I think I've just talked myself out of it haha

Let's use the Commonwealth Bank as an example for $US cash:

You start with $A10,000 - you take that into the bank today and they'll give you $US9,420.

Assume that you decide, on the same day, that you want $A again, you take your $US9,420 in and they'll give you $A9,308.30. That's about 7% of your original capital gone in transaction costs. That means that you need the $US to improve by 7% to get back to where you started from (and of course, if the $A improves, you'll be further underwater).

In addition, you'll need to factor in interest foregone - if you've got $10K, Bankwest will give you 6% per annum for four months - which means that the $US dollar has to improve by almost 9% in that period to make the currency play a better option than the risk free "stick it in the bank" approach.

You can probably get a better deal on currency than what is offered by the Commonwealth Bank, but even if the numbers change the principle is the same.
VanBuurenisGod +

BRTG

Times thanked
< 2,866
looking at booking a honeymoon next april, and starting to think it might be best to head to the States.

$1.10 farken

#BRTG
hurley18 +

Ticket Inspector

Times thanked
< 206
AUD should climb to $1.20 in the near future given the rising commodity prices and the likelyhood of the US lowering interest rates further in
VanBuurenisGod +

BRTG

Times thanked
< 2,866
Yep, and with chances our rates will have to increase over the next 6 months, although this is bad for my home loan, should make Australia more attractive to foreign investment.
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 508
Australian Dollar slipping against the yen, to buy now before i lose a crap load more money or wait in the hopes that it will go up a few more cents. I have no idea.
:/
Juggers +

Times thanked
< 48
I am off to the states in October. Do you reckon I should load up a travelex card while the dollar is still high or just wait it out?
Nardo +

nobody's fault but yours

Times thanked
< 35
the longer you can wait the better.

the american economy is in a lot of trouble and things will continue to get worse.

The only problem I see is that whilst the value of our dollar will continue to improve against the $US, the state of America as a tourist destination is going to deteriorate as well. it might sound alarmist, but travelling to a country with rising / high unemployment, a poor retail industry and a generally depressed economy isn't ideal.

it's probably a good place to travel to now, but give it a few years and it might not look so appealing.
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513
And just to prove that nobody knows anything about anything, the S&P downgrade, which on the basis of received wisdom should have sent the $A up against the $US, has instead caused the $A to slump back through parity.
Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
< 3,294
Yeah whats going on is not good, but hopefully we'll bounce back a lot quicker than the US because well... Julia and Wayne told me so.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 508
AUD now up to 76 Yen after dropping to its lowest (that ive seen in recent times) of 74 yesterday morning.
Slowly increasing... Hmmm
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by legal-affairs View Post

And just to prove that nobody knows anything about anything, the S&P downgrade, which on the basis of received wisdom should have sent the $A up against the $US, has instead caused the $A to slump back through parity.

To be honest I was banking the Aussie dollar will go up even with the disaster from last week...I predicted that once the volatility markets settled from last week the Aussie will strengthen and go back to $1.10 against the US dollar...its around $1.04 so lets see whats going to happen in the next month or so...
[Put Signature Here]
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,542
Dropped below 100

Will bounce back up again though, I'm sure. Needs to stay strong against the Euro and Pound so I get maximum return for my holiday in August.
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510
Likewise in July. I'm happy for it to fail in August.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,263
Yeah, July to the US for me, come on Aussie dollar, come back a bit please!
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
christuffa +

Registered (Ab)user

Times thanked
< 53
August to US for me...at what price do you think I should buy some US money?
Bergs +

Ya mum

Times thanked
< 1,438
September here. Got some USD a month or so ago when it was 1.04
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by christuffa View Post

August to US for me...at what price do you think I should buy some US money?

As I've said above, currency movements are an area in which it is safe to assume that nobody knows anything (and I know even less). Howecer, there is likely to be another 25 or 50 basis point RBA cut coming in June (the markets seem to have priced in 25 as almost a dead certainty) which will push the $A lower against the $US, and if Europe takes a nasty turn so that investors start "de-risking", that will also lower the $A. These factors suggest you might to do well to lock in a price now - at least that way you know how much you will have to spend on your holiday.

As against that, you won't have to look hard to get upwards of 5% on a 90 day term deposit, so if you buy US cash now you'll have to factor in the interest foregone on the US cash sitting under your bed against the better rate you might get now.

But, as I say, nobody knows anything.
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
^^^ totally agree...I like it how the supposedly hot shots at my work (work in investment management) and numerous articles providing professional opinion and predictions (using a lot of fancy words and statistics etc) making a claim the Aussie dollar will go down 'soon'...any average Joe should be able to work out that there's no way the Aussie dollar will keep going up and will eventually go down...the word people use, 'soon' can range from 1 month to 1 year or 3 years...so its funny how many of them take credit about the dollar going down last week with the main point, they never gave you an indication "when exactly" it will go down...

So, 'nobody knows anything' is very true.

re: travelling money...how much you guys planning to convert to USD for travelling? Taking a grand or so wouldn't be too much of a significant loss compared to taking 10-20 grand...i.e. 98c be 980USD...$1.04 be 1040USD...
[Put Signature Here]
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,542
Well I may go to Canada for 6-24 months so seriously thinking about cashing in 10k. What I need to decide is whether to buy Canadian or US dollars, then I need to decide when.
Welp!
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

Well I may go to Canada for 6-24 months so seriously thinking about cashing in 10k. What I need to decide is whether to buy Canadian or US dollars, then I need to decide when.
Welp!

If you change your $A into $US and then $C, you are going to get belted twice on fees or commission. You will need there to be some pretty savage moves in the currencies in order to make it worthwhile to incur the transaction costs of two changes.
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
You actually thinking of 'cashing' in your Aussie Dollars? I would think, maybe set-up a Canadian bank account and transfer money to that account and then you can either (or both) take out a grand in USD in cash while still in OZ or put cash to a credit card such as 28 Degrees and use it as a debit card when you hit the states...?
[Put Signature Here]
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,542
Well yea, I will need to set up an account anyway. The question is do I transfer a minimum amount now to set it up and wait for the dollar to go up, or be happy with the current $C and send it all over.
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
Its not how much the Aussie dollar will go up...the real question is now, how much are you willing to sacrifice in betting the Aussie dollar will go back up...you need to work out a bottom-line and figure out how low the dollar may go before you exchange currencies...
[Put Signature Here]
onthebass +

exams...hate them!

Times thanked
< 0
I'm moving to the States indefinitely in August. Anyone had experience trying to set up a US bank account? Easy/hard? Documentation required (proof of address, credit rating etc)?

Yep, wishing I exchanged A$ a few months ago when we were hitting 1.10!
---
twitter:: onthebass
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
And just like that the Aussie dollar is almost parity with the USD again...what will next week bring...
[Put Signature Here]
worla +

STAT!

Times thanked
< 2,242
please be good for august! mama needs some new shoes!!
i ate all your bee's.....
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,542
We hit parity again some time today before dipping slightly below. Fuck yea, onya AussieD!
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,083
what's the general concensus these days for cash?

heading over to the pacific islands for 3 weeks and will probably need over $500 but less than $1000. I was intending to get $500 out at the bank before i go and just ATM's or pay a group dinner on card then pocket the group's cash (or do a runner )

I know I got stung $10 in fees but the rates seemed to be generally better than anything else. is this still the case?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510
Lol that little cash for 3 weeks is amazing.
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,083
all depends on how much I'll be drinking and how many meals are included. but considering we're doing deep diving I won't be getting drunk much.

I have no idea how expensive food will be, so it could be that or double... but yeah, i don't, whinging about $20 when I've just dropped a lot of money on a diving holiday for 3 weeks is a bit hopeless.

as you were.

Quote:

Bergs +

Ya mum

Times thanked
< 1,438
Currently sitting at 1.002
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
Dollar survived post-Greek elections...let's see how this week turns out...
[Put Signature Here]
muli_ +

?

Times thanked
< 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

all depends on how much I'll be drinking and how many meals are included. but considering we're doing deep diving I won't be getting drunk much.

I have no idea how expensive food will be, so it could be that or double... but yeah, i don't, whinging about $20 when I've just dropped a lot of money on a diving holiday for 3 weeks is a bit hopeless.

as you were.

french polensia? cause that shit is expensive
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,083
nah, Guam, Chuuk Lagoon and pohnpei.

prices in Palau were just under aussie for food and about $3-5 a beer, which I'm thinking will be similar for where I'm going. all grog is flown in apart from the rancid local brew. as long as you eat local stuff (fish, chicken, local vegies) the food isn't that bad, the restaurants are also americanised, lots of burgers, fried chicken, watermelon, you know.... Great sashimi though.

Quote:

Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
Big-up! Aussie dollar going up again...for the time being anyhow...

Let the good times roll for the upcoming US holidays!
[Put Signature Here]
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,542
Fuck yea, perfect timing.
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,012

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

Fuck yea, perfect timing.

This. Leave for Europe in a month
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
< 7,072
better stay up till september

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

ladyinred +

See you Space Samurai...

Times thanked
< 3,166
EURO- AUD = 0.83

Need to think about changing a bit of moneh methinks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbomb203 View Post

Sausages make everything better astro. FACT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameszabiela

I have to disagree with regards to the sausages...

Bergs +

Ya mum

Times thanked
< 1,438
AUD/USD 1.04

edit: 1.0425

Last edited by Bergs: 20-Jul-12 at 07:37am

« Previous Thread Next Thread »