Galaxy Nexus vs Galaxy SIII?

Tools
Fuzzy Rainbow +

OMG are you serious?

Times thanked
< 1,899
Galaxy Nexus vs Galaxy SIII?
ok, so legit thread now..
i need a new phone and was looking at the nexus. love android and it's not apple.
whats better? the nexus or wait for the S3? i have read mixed reviews for both.
i love the look of the S3 and the fact that its quadcore but really.. there's a lot of interactive parts on the phone that would potentially drain the battery.
i like the nexus style but not sure about that plastic feeling grip at the back of the phone.

has anyone here used the nexus? whats your thoughts of the phone?

Thanks
nrjize +

licking dates

Times thanked
< 2,112
Can't really go wrong with either. If you can't decide between them wait till they're released and handle them each in store.
"I theme-dress depending on where I'm going... if I was going to dinner at a Chinese restaurant, I would wear a kimono - it makes it more fun." Kelly Osbourne.

"yeah, i have back problems that i tried to cure with heroin. what of it?"
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,514
The Nexus is fantastic. I also had mixed feelings about the "plastic" on the back but now that I actually have one, I wish all phones had the same back. It's got so much grip and feels so good to the touch.
Build quality of the phone is excellent, it runs perfect, it has a brilliant (and slightly curved) screen and is Googles flagship so expect the quickest updates.

You can also get one for like less than $400 now, massive value for money.
Swebbbber +

Times thanked
< 35
HTC OneX and XL are both also good, i have a OneX with the quadcore, get about 36 hrs battery on average use being a fb whore, banking emailing etc (plus the display is awesome! running 720p ful time) however XL may be the way to go tho, only dual core but on the eve of 4g for all networks (excl telstra already have in parts) having an LTE capable phone may be a winner if you like ze fast interwebs. but if i had to chose, yeah value for $$ the Nexus is good, a fair bit slower tho than the S3, but the software display finish is nice,

all good phones, personal pref and budget is the factors then i guess
Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
< 3,987
Holy fuck a new community 8bit avatar that hasnt been around the traps before.

Liked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
< 749
hey fuzzy! i reckon you should get the galaxy s3, with all the new features and what not.

unless you plan on modifying your phone and fooling around with different roms and stuff, the nexus is fairly average and the hardware is getting old already.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
am due for an upgrade from my SGS2 soon myself.

Not sure which direction to go.. the nexus hardware is pretty much old hat these days, but after SGS2's touchwiz and all its bugs after the ICS upgrade I don't really want to get a phone without vanilla Android a stock again - Guessing I'll will probably just hold out for the next Nexus whenever that comes about.
Let Life Support and Dr Rudi do it right for you.
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573

Quote:

Originally Posted by diarx View Post

am due for an upgrade from my SGS2 soon myself.

Not sure which direction to go.. the nexus hardware is pretty much old hat these days, but after SGS2's touchwiz and all its bugs after the ICS upgrade I don't really want to get a phone without vanilla Android a stock again - Guessing I'll will probably just hold out for the next Nexus whenever that comes about.

Is the S2 any good? Getting one through work , its the best phone they can get me on our plan.
DjReal +

Deep House Fanatic

Times thanked
< 23
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear,
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair,
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy, was she?
Gigs:
19/11 - Outside @ Electric Playground
26/11 - Outside @ Electric Playground
Swebbbber +

Times thanked
< 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

Holy fuck a new community 8bit avatar that hasnt been around the traps before.

Liked.

y thanks... that ep was shear brilliance... can we just have an 8-bit community full time?
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubz View Post

Is the S2 any good? Getting one through work , its the best phone they can get me on our plan.

between the galaxy nexus and sgs2 (which should practically be the same price now) I'd lean towards the nexus, unless you need a slightly better resolution camera.

ICS on the SGS2 was rushed out and it shows.
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swebbbber View Post

y thanks... that ep was shear brilliance... can we just have an 8-bit community full time?

I'd just settle for a playable version of the game.
silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
< 1,796

Quote:

between the galaxy nexus and sgs2 (which should practically be the same price now) I'd lean towards the nexus, unless you need a slightly better resolution camera.

ICS on the SGS2 was rushed out and it shows.

Why not custom rom it?

Samsung roms are easily the worst stock roms.

How big are they these days over 150mb no doubt? AOSP ICS roms can be had for less than 70mb.
Fuzzy Rainbow +

OMG are you serious?

Times thanked
< 1,899

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjReal View Post

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear,
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair,
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy, was she?

shannon
Fuzzy Rainbow +

OMG are you serious?

Times thanked
< 1,899
thanks guys for your feedback.
my mobile had dies long ago and am using old motorola RAZR eerg.
i think i'll prolly go nexus as S3 seems to have a lot of features with potential bugs.
i have only looked at the nexus in real time though.. may have to go to the store to try the S3..
too hard to decide!!
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvaside View Post

Why not custom rom it?

Samsung roms are easily the worst stock roms.

How big are they these days over 150mb no doubt? AOSP ICS roms can be had for less than 70mb.

I probably wouldn't recommend rooting + new firmware to the non-gcpg regulars such as fuzzy/dubz, shit can go wrong and it sucks to be the one who told them "it's easy, it's fine" when something does or an instruction isn't followed to the letter ending in a borked phone.

For me, I didn't mind v2.x on the sgs2, with a different launcher/keyboard there wasn't enough cause for me to want to run non standard firmware back then.

The ICS update I find annoying though - had been considering new firmware since, but the cbf factor of spending a couple of hours setting it up and getting everything back to how it was and my contract being up soon means I'll probably put up with it until I find a replacement (hopefully a nexus based on the S3).

Ideally for my next phone I just want a well supported vanilla android phone that gets hassle free regular OTA updates.
Fuzzy Rainbow +

OMG are you serious?

Times thanked
< 1,899
i can mod phones.
thanks.
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
< 749
^^ fuzz get the Gnex then. it's so easy to unlock & root. then just load up CM9. i can get about 28 hours of battery on mine with average usage (and obviously none when sleeping).

also, custom soft keys.
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/6868/examplext.png
(these ones are kinda annoying tbh)

also, custom boot animation
http://h8.abload.de/img/gnex-bios-boot4bwgt.gif

e: shit i just remembered you are asking for S3 vs GN so yea don't bother with GN, it's old hardware. easy to unlock, root, but the hardware is already obsolete. if you're going to root anyway, do the S3 and get on some custom ackshawwwn! i can just imagine that phone fucking flying on a custom rom!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐

Last edited by Spicy: 28-May-12 at 06:57pm

diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
Yep get the s3 I'd you're confident with the process of rooting.
silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
< 1,796

Quote:

Ideally for my next phone I just want a well supported vanilla android phone that gets hassle free regular OTA updates.

Probably the way to go if you don't like waiting 6+months for carriers to get their updated firmwares out.
Fuzzy Rainbow +

OMG are you serious?

Times thanked
< 1,899
thanks guys.
appreciate it.
Fuzzy Rainbow +

OMG are you serious?

Times thanked
< 1,899
just wondering.. is the HTC One X any good??
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,286

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Rainbow View Post

just wondering.. is the HTC One X any good??

Yes, it's really good. Not had a problem with it at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

I think you obviously dont understand what i'm trying to say.

Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
< 4,510
How do you guys go with having phones that are so big? I've got a blackberry at the moment and had an iphone 3 before that. Found out I can upgrade to the s3 for free.. as much as I'd love a new phone as the BB is a pos, the s3 just seems so god damn big!

Or is it one of those things you get use to?
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,514
You get used to it, though I'm well above average size so to me it's quite normal.
The current iPhone screen is too small for everyone though.

The big change is the phones are quite light now. A couple of years ago they were super heavy so people hated carrying them around.
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,286
The thing about the One X is that while it's huge, it weighs fuck all and is really thin so you barely notice it. Only issue I have is when I wear certain pairs of jeans with shorter pockets when I sit down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

I think you obviously dont understand what i'm trying to say.

Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
< 4,510
I'm aware the phones don't weigh much, I was more interested about the size of them and how you go carrying them around in your pockets etc. I have some pants where even an iPhone sticks out the top, and only sits in the pocket when laid sideways..
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,875
get better pants.
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,514
I have pants with regular sized pockets and they fit fine. Those must be some weird pants if the side pockets are that short.

Hell I've got some super funky low-cut, semi-gay, summer chino shorts with small pockets and it even fits fine in those.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »