General

What to do about the bet?

View Poll Results: What to do about "outstanding" bet?
Pay Pigman, no damage done. 13 30.95%
Pay Pigman with interest. 17 40.48%
Fuck the haters, you were right. 2 4.76%
Some sort of alternative remedy should be formulated. 10 23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Tools
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
What to do about the bet?
The time has come to take the initial steps towards crowd-funding the book. For those of you that don't know, crowd-funding is a process whereby you make a pledge to deliver on a project, and those interested can pledge money in exchange to ensure the dream is realised.

This is a great process, and you might have seen projects in the news via sites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

There's a catch. This whole process relies on good will, and while I'm abundant in this, as The Black Widow says in The Avengers "There's a red mark against my name and I'm looking to strike it out".

What's that mark? The infamous bet thread that was started almost two years ago.

Despite my belief that there was no bet between Pigman, and the fact I paid out bets made with ITM members Capin and Bism, people on this forum persist in stating that I am not a man of my word, I reneg on bets, and other generally nasty stuff.

Given that I intend to crowd-fund publication of my book, having this mentioned repeatedly by trolls is generally going to be detrimental to those efforts. I can't do much about trolls. They will always exist, God bless 'em. But what I can do is take steps towards this mark against my name, whether right or wrong, and offer some of that good will that I spoke of.

So I'm throwing it open to the ITM collective (and Pigman)...
What can I do to make amends? Pay the bet? Pay the bet with interest? Some sort of physical challenge?

I should be seeing the good gent in the flesh in two weeks time, so would like an agreeable answer by then.

Thanks in advance!
Order my book Being Bi-Bi - a memoir on mental health and sexuality -here.

Last edited by Marshwah: 27-May-12 at 04:41pm

Reason: spelling

Conor- +

Incorrectly using the semi colon; since 1996

Times thanked
< 1,396
What's the rate of interest? RBA or ANZ?
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,958
The fact that you paid up for the other two guys is never mentioned, conveniently. The thread is going to demand deets / receipts / testimonials.
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conor- View Post

What's the rate of interest? RBA or ANZ?

I'll leave that to Pigman/ITM massive to decide.

I'm all ears here, help me, help Pigman.
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
whats the book called? and what is it about?
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

The fact that you paid up for the other two guys is never mentioned, conveniently. The thread is going to demand deets / receipts / testimonials.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Capin just started an overseas adventure, but I'm in touch with him so I'll see if I can convince him to vouch.
Bism is Bism, and I'll leave it to him to decide whether to announce I paid up, if he doesn't I can supply the actual bank transfer details - but they won't hold much weight as I'll be blurring out the actual digits.

For the record, Bism was involved in a subsequent bet thread that was started on Google+.

Last edited by Marshwah: 27-May-12 at 02:45pm

Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post

whats the book called? and what is it about?

The book is called: Being Bi-Bi and intends to de-stigmatise mental health and sexuality by telling my own personal story. It's a much longer extension of the tale told in this thread: http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=242467

I've been working on it for 3+ years and as mentioned at the start of this thread, have intentions to crowd-fund its completion.

Last edited by Marshwah: 27-May-12 at 04:42pm

YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
< 182
Face value impression from the first page of that thread: Pay the man his 200, move beyond it. Of course, that's all the context I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_e_de View Post

It's the same as going out on a busy street and looking at the people around you, most of them are fgts.

Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by YossarianIsSane View Post

Face value impression from the first page of that thread: Pay the man his 200, move beyond it. Of course, that's all the context I have.

Have messaged Pigman and am seeing if that will settle it, thanks for the input mate.
Conor- +

Incorrectly using the semi colon; since 1996

Times thanked
< 1,396
Just read your 'Ever Done Time' story, and if that is a true story I would be happy to help get the message out there about the book, aye.

Last edited by Conor-: 27-May-12 at 03:35pm

Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conor- View Post

Just read your 'Ever Done Time' story, and if that is a true story I would be happy to help get the message out there about the book, aye.

Thanks mate, genuine sincerity is appreciated.
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
< 22,661
You should just nosh him off and call it square, Marshy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heraclitus

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astro-Boy View Post

You should just nosh him off and call it square, Marshy.

What's a nosh? Is that getting on the drink? That's a given.
Teknikall +

Times thanked
< 433
Want fundage? Get a fuckin loan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict

Rename thread to 'Jrod asks stupid questions, receives good answers, ignores advise'.

KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,178
Going by the first page of that thread I'd say Pigman took you up on your bet and you listed him as a taker. Personally I wouldn't be going against a strong inner belief though just to try and appease some haters in a fruitless attempt to mitigate any crowd funding hostility. People will use the bet as a tool to have a go at you because they don't like your presence; trying to remove that one thing won't remove their animosity towards you. Fuck 'em. Fuck that cockney barrow boy Pigman too
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
< 1,386
just send one chapter at a time to dolly doctor
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,178
I reckon three 3 minute rounds with Pigman, video'd for the ITM masses - Queensbury Rules... if he wins you pay up; if you win you keep the cash.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,499
I hope you are crowd sourcing the editing in addition to the publishing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

kano350chevy +

Times thanked
< 69
Give him a blowjob
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWicked View Post

Going by the first page of that thread I'd say Pigman took you up on your bet and you listed him as a taker. Personally I wouldn't be going against a strong inner belief though just to try and appease some haters in a fruitless attempt to mitigate any crowd funding hostility. People will use the bet as a tool to have a go at you because they don't like your presence; trying to remove that one thing won't remove their animosity towards you. Fuck 'em. Fuck that cockney barrow boy Pigman too

Agreed, but I thought I'd make the gesture anyway.
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

Good idea. I eschew what you did there.
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Times thanked
< 931
I would like to take back my "pay pigman w/ interested" vote and go for the option which translates to "other"

I really like the double or nothing idea. Give it another 6 months... 20 kgs or $400 bucks to hogbro... I think that is not only fair, but gives you supermegamotivation to get back on the treadmill/x-trainer/cardio machine of choice.

Also would make for a great NEW THREAD OF REDEMPTION. Montages, powerful sountrack, stirring performances all round. I give it a preemptive 4 stars.

Make ITM great again Marshwahy
Fuck Everything Forever
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teknikall View Post

Want fundage? Get a fuckin loan

Crowd-funding works a bit different to a loan though. One way it's different is that it's a way of sourcing buy-in and interest in a mutually beneficial way. It's a joint venture.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,499

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshwah View Post

Good idea. I eschew what you did there.

Not trying to be a dick here, in general you spin a decent yarn, you have the narrative thing down. But some of what would be termed 'wordiness' is at best unnecessary and at worst just wrong.

Quote:

CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
< 1,386

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weinertron View Post

I really like the double or nothing idea. Give it another 6 months... 20 kgs or $400 bucks to hogbro... I think that is not only fair, but gives you supermegamotivation to get back on the treadmill/x-trainer/cardio machine of choice.

Also would make for a great NEW THREAD OF REDEMPTION. Montages, powerful sountrack, stirring performances all round. I give it a preemptive 4 stars.

Marshy could go head to head with Smoking Joe - apparently Joe is trying to put on 20kgs. Call it the biggest loosers. First one to 80kgs is the winner.

Once they are both in the same weight division, they could slug it out for Joe's championship belt.
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Not trying to be a dick here, in general you spin a decent yarn, you have the narrative thing down. But some of what would be termed 'wordiness' is at best unnecessary and at worst just wrong.

It's hard to tell when you are/are not sometimes Eddie, but taken on board. Thanks though.
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,539

Quote:

Also the writing
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
There'll be excerpts and I'm keen to have a variety of tiered rewards for the funding efforts.
This thread was more about wanting to clear the air first, however futile. After all, people are going to be jerks regardless of what I say. Which is fine, if jerks affected what I do I'd be in a very different place these days.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,499

Quote:

It's hard to tell when you are/are not sometimes Eddie, but taken on board. Thanks though.

Sometimes I am absolutely trying to be a dick, in this instance though, no.

Quote:

UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,110

Quote:

This thread was more about wanting to clear the air first, however futile.

Perhaps do that in PM's?

You're just flame baiting yourself and cry foul when the internet comes down on you.
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
< 1,386

Quote:

if jerks affected what I do I'd be in a very different place these days.

You cannot escape your destiny.
watsakerring +

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Times thanked
< 3,776
Just deleted a whole bunch of 'not excellent' posts in the thread.

I'll be weilding the hammer if it starts up again.

Play nice.
Chharge +

Summer is coming

Times thanked
< 1,923
Lukey, drop the weight and respect will come to you, personal satisfaction of dropping the weight not to mention the ladies (or gents) who will appreciate it as well.

forget the details of the cash. Best of luck mate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

Any sex enthusiast should whore it up at least once in their life IMO,
Its the oldest profession in the world.
Are you calling everyone wrong?.

Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMGAWA View Post

Perhaps do that in PM's?

You're just flame baiting yourself and cry foul when the internet comes down on you.

PMs to who numbnuts? Isn't there a PM limit anyway? And if you're going to apply the flame-baiting tag - wouldn't that be pretty much every thread on ITM? Applying your logic - hurrr, durrr - there'd be no threads on ITM at all.

As for crying foul, I take it very well I feel. Yes, I take it real good.

Last edited by Marshwah: 27-May-12 at 11:03pm

Fangoriously +

Fusion Aerodynamical Science

Times thanked
< 1,177
Hang on, tiered levels of rewards?

Surely if it's a crowd sourced exercise, you should be giving some sort of profit share back? Didn't you say it was a joint venture with the people who put in?

Then wouldn't that mean cash money from the profits of the book?

As to the bet - you can maybe clear the air by paying up. However, if you want to show that you're worthy of having people invest in you, then how about you give the weight loss thing a go again? Same terms. Consider this me saying I don't think you'll do it, so I'll put $200 towards your book, if you'll revert to the original terms of the bet.

I've read your blog and cringed my way through your videos. Whilst the blog is alright, if indulgent (show me the one that isn't, though). A reoccurring feature is your lack of ability to follow anything through. First it's the weight lose. Then it's the running or exercise whilst overseas. Then it's the updating the blog regularly or writing every day.

What's to say that this isn't going the same way? Now sure, the other ones are personal failures. I'm sure you'll say that you won't want to let other people down. But from past behaviour, you're not a good risk.

You can't even quit ITM properly, why would anyone trust you with their hard earned?
Aerodynamical Fusion Science Terminal Velocitising Scientician Experimentalising

Last edited by Fangoriously: 27-May-12 at 09:16pm

pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
+1 ^ , i'll kick in $200 if you complete the original terms of the bet also. So there's 4hunj for your "book" plus a free gain in health/attractiveness/respect.

up to you dude !
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

manvan +

yerfuknWOT?

Times thanked
< 1,619
I can't see this thread doing much for your cause to be honest, dude. The fact you're trying to square shit away purely because you now need cash doesn't sit quite right.
YTM Mix

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dero13 View Post

I will continue supporting animal cruelty.

CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
< 1,386
I imagine each chapter would be based on one of your threads, so really we would be investing in content already available for free.
No offense, but the comments and flames are the best part of these threads. Will they be in the book?

I really wish David Thorne was an itmer
borrisGLOWSTICK +

Shinra Rocket no.26

Times thanked
< 7,260
So having suffered from a mental illness your main goal now is make money off the experience?

Imagine what good you could do for others if you put the energy you use for ITM, media whoring and attempted book publishing into speaking with support groups for other people who were/are in the same situation as yourself.

I just don't understand you at all, you repeatedly put yourself out there, provoke all kinds of backlash and appear to enjoy it, all the while telling us how great your life is now.

I have said nasty things to you before but this next comment is 100% honestly my actual non bullshit opinion. I think you are a terribly confused and emotionally unhappy person who is unable or unwilling to help themselves. I read the self absorbed shit you post and wonder when it's all going to end, i'm tired reading it, heaven knows how tired you must be living this way.

You need to stop living in this world where everything is going to be ok and be great for the book. I don't mean to be even meaner now but after reading your confession thread, my heart goes out to your poor mother.

About the bet? I would suggest walking away from it, ITM, the media superstar dream and try find some actual happiness in your life because it's clear as day you are not a happy go lucky person.
Crazy people are ace doorslammers.

Full dark, no stars.
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by manvan View Post

I can't see this thread doing much for your cause to be honest, dude. The fact you're trying to square shit away purely because you now need cash doesn't sit quite right.

I don't need cash. I want proverbial buy-in on a project. If this was a moneymaking exercise it would have failed already. I'm seeking an investment in something a bit deeper.
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,178
Which proverb though? "a miss is as good as a mile"? Or "all grist for the mill"?
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
< 1,386

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWicked View Post

Which proverb though? "a miss is as good as a mile"? Or "all grist for the mill"?

Man who drop watch in toilet have shitty time
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

So having suffered from a mental illness your main goal now is make money off the experience?

Imagine what good you could do for others if you put the energy you use for ITM, media whoring and attempted book publishing into speaking with support groups for other people who were/are in the same situation as yourself.

I just don't understand you at all, you repeatedly put yourself out there, provoke all kinds of backlash and appear to enjoy it, all the while telling us how great your life is now.

I have said nasty things to you before but this next comment is 100% honestly my actual non bullshit opinion. I think you are a terribly confused and emotionally unhappy person who is unable or unwilling to help themselves. I read the self absorbed shit you post and wonder when it's all going to end, i'm tired reading it, heaven knows how tired you must be living this way.

You need to stop living in this world where everything is going to be ok and be great for the book. I don't mean to be even meaner now but after reading your confession thread, my heart goes out to your poor mother.

About the bet? I would suggest walking away from it, ITM, the media superstar dream and try find some actual happiness in your life because it's clear as day you are not a happy go lucky person.

I'm pretty tired at the moment and am just about to fall asleep after a long, rewarding weekend in my home state with friends, family and an inspirational conference that prompted this thread to be created.

As far as your analysis goes, I'm not quite sure what you're hoping to achieve? You're completely off the mark and only right about one thing - my happiness. You're right in so much as I could be happier. I only know this because I'm the happiest I've ever been and each year seems to get better than the last.

I'm walking around so fucking happy that I need to let people know about it. I need to let them know you can go through a shit time and come out better than anyone could have possibly predicted, and even surprise yourself.

My goal is to make money off the experience? Please. If you had read anything about crowd-funding (I did have the courtesy to link the definition in my opening post) you would have realised that any money being requested is being invested back in a project. In this case a project I believe in and hope to show people you can persevere, overcome and inspire.

I'm sure you wrote your post with good intentions, because I like to think the best of people in this community, but please don't waste your pity on me, if this is the way you go about interpreting my posts (and you do seem to have a habit of cropping up in almost every thread I start) then perhaps you need to take a long, hard look at yourself, and stop trying to pull someone else down.

Peace.
manvan +

yerfuknWOT?

Times thanked
< 1,619

Quote:

I don't need cash. I want proverbial buy-in on a project. If this was a moneymaking exercise it would have failed already. I'm seeking an investment in something a bit deeper.

It may have been a poor choice of words from me, but I'll stand by the sentiment. I'm just saying you've muddied the waters by joining two separate things - squaring shit away with the Pig should have been a question of honor and conscience, but now you've tacked it onto the end as a means to get something you want comes across as a little shallow and disingenuous...

You asked, and I'm just sayin...
YTM Mix

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dero13 View Post

I will continue supporting animal cruelty.

Fangoriously +

Times thanked
< 1,177
I'd like an answer to my post.
Aerodynamical Fusion Science Terminal Velocitising Scientician Experimentalising
Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
< 3,293
I think you should sail across the bay on the raft that trAse built while he fires shit at you from the trebuchet he also built.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,958

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fangoriously View Post

Hang on, tiered levels of rewards?

Surely if it's a crowd sourced exercise, you should be giving some sort of profit share back?

No, that's not how crowd funding generally works. It's more like a pre-order than an investment. People front up some cash for something they'd like to see produced, and in return they get the product + any bonus items that are offered.

Example: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...b?ref=category
Fangoriously +

Times thanked
< 1,177
Ok. It was more the phrase 'joint venture' that got me though. That would imply that money in would get cash back out - perhaps I'm reading into it more than I should be.

I'd also still like an answer to whether Marshy's ready to give the weight loss another go, to see if he has the stick-to-itness required to follow something through to the end.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
< 3,940
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fangoriously View Post

Ok. It was more the phrase 'joint venture' that got me though. That would imply that money in would get cash back out - perhaps I'm reading into it more than I should be.

I'd also still like an answer to whether Marshy's ready to give the weight loss another go, to see if he has the stick-to-itness required to follow something through to the end.

What Gruso said to the original query, to the latter, yeah of course I'm open.

Part of crowd-funding is providing unique "achievements" and experiences for people making extra special donations. If you and Peaker are serious about proffering $400 towards the book on the proviso I shed some kilos, I'm all ears.

This does lead into Manvan's point.

Quote:

It may have been a poor choice of words from me, but I'll stand by the sentiment. I'm just saying you've muddied the waters by joining two separate things - squaring shit away with the Pig should have been a question of honor and conscience, but now you've tacked it onto the end as a means to get something you want comes across as a little shallow and disingenuous...

Which is totally fair and perhaps I could have separated them. But the bet to me isn't a question of honour or conscience, there was no bet, and I paid two people who I made formal agreements with. But as gesture of goodwill, I'm willing to settle this rather than argue.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »