Gaming, Computers, Phones, and Gadgets

CD Projekt's new, cryptically titled RPG: Cyberpunk

Tools
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,632
CD Projekt's new, cryptically titled RPG: Cyberpunk

Quote:

CD Projekt will announce its brand new IP tomorrow at its summer press conference, not The Witcher 1 for consoles as reported this morning, the company has told Eurogamer.

in a statement, CDP head of marketing Michał Platkow-Gilewski said it would have Witcher-related surprises for late 2012 and 2013, but insisted tomorrow’s announcement had nothing to do with a console version of The Witcher 1.

Instead, it’ll unveil the second IP the company advertised for in recent job listings a few weeks back.

“We are gearing up for our upcoming conference and we have encountered some speculations concerning what we will be announcing,” said Gilewski.

“We would like to share some light about what will happen tomorrow. In regard to the Witcher, we are planning some surprises for the second half of the year and for the next year, but during the conference we will sum-up The Witcher and Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition also, we will give a bunch of new information. To make it really clear – we will not be announcing Witcher 1 for consoles.

“The major announcement on the conference tomorrow is related to the gun icon on cdpred.com career page. We will give you the first bit of information about our second AAA RPG in development. We have some really exciting news to share, so make sure join us at 5PM GMT on our live-stream: facebook.com/thewitcher.”

The firm has also released the first teaser image of the title in question. It’s posted below in full.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chippie View Post

Information released today (31-05-2012)

Quote:

CD Projekt RED has formally announced their new game. Like The Witcher before it, the team's new project is actually a licensed game. Simply titled Cyberpunk, this new RPG is based on Mike Pondsmith's pen and paper RPG, also called Cyberpunk.

The new game promises to offer many of the traits that made The Witcher so critically acclaimed, including a "realistic and brutal" mature RPG. "We are not making a game for everyone," CD Projekt proudly declared when announcing the game.

Unlike in The Witcher, you'll be able to create your own character in Cyberpunk, with a slew of different classes to choose from. There will also be an arsenal of weapons, upgrades, and implants to choose from--as expected from a cyberpunk RPG

Quote:

It’s set in a futuristic world with a degenerated society and like the tabletop game, it will be a mature RPG, set in the series’ “realistic and brutal” world.

Cyberpunk designer and RPG vet Mike Pondsmith has been working on the videogame adaption with CDP for over a year, and took to the stage to talk about the game’s setting.

At the conference, CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwinski promised players that this game would have all of the hallmarks of the Witcher series with rich detail. It will be a non-linear experience with “a complex and gripping story.”

Players will experience the world through their own, unique characters chosen from different classes – be they blood-thirsty mercenaries or cunning hackers – that they will equip with vast selection of cybernetic implants and deadly weapons. A

As in the Witcher series, players will face morally ambiguous choices, their actions influencing events in the world at large and the fate of the individuals they encounter.

“For over two decades, I’ve been proud to say that Cyberpunk’s been the gold standard of what it means to be a true cyberpunk game,” said Pondsmith. “And it’s been a huge success for me and our many fans, with over 5 million players worldwide. But over all that time we haven’t found the right team to bring our Cyberpunk world to full digital life — until now.

“CD Projekt Red is the team we’ve been hoping for. Their incredible work on The Witcher and The Witcher 2 shows that they share the same dedication and love of great games that we do at Talsorian. I’m especially stoked that they want our participation in making this game a fantastic project that will live up to everything Cyberpunk fans (old and new) have been waiting for. Trust me — this game is going to rock.”

This game will be developed by a new team at CDP RED composed of veterans from the Witcher franchise.

Last edited by Gruso: 31-May-12 at 09:48am

Gruso +

happening bunker

Times thanked
< 16,166
Picking up a subtle cyberpunk vibe.
budoo +

Times thanked
< 241
^^
Chippie +

dm6

Times thanked
< 1,306
I trust in my polish friends.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

guessing im really slow on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

It's called being a tradie, dickhead.

Eh... my gay friend that works in IT recommended them to me

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,632

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chippie View Post

I trust in my polish friends.

+1

These guys know how to story + atmosphere, and don't conform to publisher demands (they usually are the publisher), so I have all confidence in them delivering their vision in a bucket of awesome.
Chippie +

dm6

Times thanked
< 1,306
Information released today

Quote:

CD Projekt RED has formally announced their new game. Like The Witcher before it, the team's new project is actually a licensed game. Simply titled Cyberpunk, this new RPG is based on Mike Pondsmith's pen and paper RPG, also called Cyberpunk.

The new game promises to offer many of the traits that made The Witcher so critically acclaimed, including a "realistic and brutal" mature RPG. "We are not making a game for everyone," CD Projekt proudly declared when announcing the game.

Unlike in The Witcher, you'll be able to create your own character in Cyberpunk, with a slew of different classes to choose from. There will also be an arsenal of weapons, upgrades, and implants to choose from--as expected from a cyberpunk RPG

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

guessing im really slow on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

It's called being a tradie, dickhead.

Eh... my gay friend that works in IT recommended them to me

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,632
Forum overlord thread title update please: "CD Projekt's Cyberpunk" feel free to add witty comment about awesome name.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,632
onoes i can't edit op anymore
Gruso +

happening bunker

Times thanked
< 16,166

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

onoes i can't edit op anymore

Grucan.

Also, my title is probably a bit meh. Will change if/when we have something better.

Also, I'm kinda pumped for this.

Last edited by Gruso: 31-May-12 at 09:58am

Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,467
CD Projekts new title - 'Punked!', no Ashton Kutchers included
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
< 1,726
Nice.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
Charger +

No.

Times thanked
< 925
Officially pumped. Really pleased about being able to customise the player character; I never liked Geralt all that much.

Now all they need to do is get some good English voice actors this time.
Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
< 505
^^ I thought Geralt's voice actor was great.

Anyway, I am very much looking forward to this - I loved The Witcher 1 and 2 despite it's placement in a medieval/fantasy setting because of it's amazing story, choices etc, and knowing that style of story telling etc is going to be put into a world that I am far more interested in (sci-fi/cyberpunk/futuristic) has me super excited

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

Poondaddy Shortbread +

So it's rorschach and prozac and everything is groovy

Times thanked
< 1,383
Er, may have played the pen and paper game back in my nerdier days. Curious to see how they do this, though I loved the WItcher.
More like borophyl
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,632
So it's now called Cyberpunk 2077

skip to 3:40
Media Player
Cyberpunk, Game Piracy, and Next-gen Hardware - YouTube

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/n...-stream-update

ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,208
That picture is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49
<insert:fryshutupandtakemymoney.jpeg>
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,632
new :things:

Media Player
Cyberpunk 2077 Teaser Trailer - YouTube
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
Holy crap, even the opening 10 seconds of someone tapping at a deck...
This looks pretty
Spoiler:
BOSS
Order my book Being Bi-Bi - a memoir on mental health and sexuality -here.
TroyShaun +

not a user.

Times thanked
< 355
Reminds me of the first teaser trailer for Secret World, about 3 years prior to the game...

Looks cool, will be interesting to see how it goes with the big open world thing, talking about GTA and Blade Runner in the same write up has piqued my interest a fair bit though.
Charger +

No.

Times thanked
< 925
Dat bokeh. This is way up there on the pumped-o-meter.
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
Yeah I have vapourware alarm bells going off but who gives a fuck when it looks that fucking sick.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,632
CD Projekt don't do vapourware
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

CD Projekt don't do vapourware

Well they CD Projekt Red has only made two games so it's still a possibility, but considering Cd Projekt is basically the Polish publisher and localiser for every major RPG / RTS company in the world and own GOG I don't think finance will be an issue.

That said Duke Nukem Forever had oodles of cash too.
eona +

Times thanked
< 691
Also a decent shadowrun game is coming out this year apparently.

"Can't wait" - bart scott
eona +

Times thanked
< 691

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griggle View Post

Well they CD Projekt Red has only made two games so it's still a possibility, but considering Cd Projekt is basically the Polish publisher and localiser for every major RPG / RTS company in the world and own GOG I don't think finance will be an issue.

That said Duke Nukem Forever had oodles of cash too.

It also had so many "O, we made 12 levels but this brand new engine came out lets start all over again with this new engine" moments.
Kiron +

Mess with the best, Die like the rest!

Times thanked
< 347
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=P9...authorName=FAV

Saw this on Youtube. It's amazing how well they sync up (just mute the Cyberpunk trailer)
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
Kiron22 << Add me to Last.fm bitches so we can Hipster it up together
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726

Quote:

Originally Posted by eona View Post

It also had so many "O, we made 12 levels but this brand new engine came out lets start all over again with this new engine" moments.

Yeah their problem was too much money or more to the point no publisher breathing down their neck to force them to release the game.
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
Thread now about Duke Nukem.
Charger +

No.

Times thanked
< 925
I don't see where this vapourware idea is coming from. Clearly this is what CDProjekt's high-level concept, design and engineering teams are working on for next-gen, while their content developers have been making Witcher 3 using the current-gen engine.

Everybody keeps their job.
Kiron +

Mess with the best, Die like the rest!

Times thanked
< 347
I wonder what type of RPG it will be though. Multiplayer Co-Op? Cyberpunk 2077 is a multiplayer p&p RPG.
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
Kiron22 << Add me to Last.fm bitches so we can Hipster it up together
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiron View Post

Cyberpunk 2077 is a multiplayer p&p RPG.

Thanks.
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
It was actually the first P&P RPG I ever played......... 18 years ago.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,208

RunningWithScissors +

THE KING OF THE NORTH

Times thanked
< 18,515
so aside from Cyberpunk have they also licensed the IP for StarCraft
THE COOLEST HOBBY
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,632

Quote:

“There are lots of cyber games around, but there’s not a lot of punk in those games,” adds Mateusz. “We want to put more punk into ours. We do not want to make a dark and hopeless world. We are not doing Blade Runner. It will be full of rock and roll.”

“It’s more like a Tarantino approach,” Sebastian concludes.

STACKS more reading here
http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/05/0...into-cyberpunk

« Previous Thread Next Thread »