Techno / Electro / Minimal

Labyrinth 2011

Tools
DamoK +

i'm back, bitches

Times thanked
< 33
I've been wanting to go for the past 3 years. 2012 was meant to be the year but now it looks like I won't be making it again.

It's not mean to be.
i just don't know anymore
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 483
Dude, whats come up this time?
tweebs +

Times thanked
< 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomJuan View Post

It doesn't really matter who plays to me, the guys running it have impeccable taste.

Agree with this 100%. But I love speculation, so here's a huge wall of text...
  • Sendai (Pete van Hoesen & Yves de May): After closing last year, perhaps PvH will switch it up and perform live this year? Should be well practiced with the Sendai shows by September.
  • Dadub: With a driving live show or ambient-leaning DJ mixes, there's a fair few roles Dadub could fill over the three days. Their sound design credentials, aesthetic and point of view are all bang on for Labyrinth. Would kill to hear 'Moksha' on that system.
  • Xhin: Staying with Stroboscopic Artefacts, their biggest release of the year is arguably Xhin's 'Sword'. That said, Xhin's productions aren't too dancefloor friendly. One of his inventive DJ sets could be likely though.
  • Kassem Mosse: There aren't too many artists whose sound fits better with the vibes on Sunday at Labyrinth than Mosse and there's plenty of precedent with his label-mates. There were a few comments to that effect last year, let's hope someone overheard.
  • Regis: Long shot I think. Sandwell District may go a little quiet this year after disbanding the label, but after Function and Silent Servant stamped the SD sound all over Laby 2011, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine Regis wanting a go this year. His productions in the last 12 months have been outstanding.
  • Alva Noto & Byetone: Another long shot. Alva Noto has been written up saying he's keen to perform live with Byetone again, and it looks like their 'Diamond Versions' show premiering at Sonar in June will be an example of that. Hopefully opening night of Labyrinth might be another.

Some other predictions: Monolake? Levon Vincent? Actress? Pinch & Shackleton? Scuba? Claudio PRC?

I'll be interested to see whether Dozzy returns to the closing DJ set this year as well...
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 258
Without having been to Labyrinth you get a fair idea of the types of acts that would suit it.

Consequence playing the last set on the middle day (usually a more chilled out affair) would be brilliant. DnB may be get to 175 bpm but the autonomic style is usually stripped down with room to breath between the beats. (listen to some of amazing tracks like A Man and a Woman, 11 Circles & Lime Green). The Test Dreams LP isn't really drum and bass anyway.

Weisemann/Desolate wouldn't be out of place for an early set.

Surely Shed will get a gurnsey at some stage simply because he is a god.

Someone said it best when he said that the taste of those running Labryinth is so good it really doesn't matter who they choose.
My mixes:

Bruno Orso’s Sunrise Over Tocumwal, 28 January 2012
Track list

Orso's Sounds of the Tunnel Vol 1, December 2013

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 06-Mar-12 at 03:38pm

jordan__ +

Times thanked
< 1,857

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno from Burwood View Post

Consequence playing the last set on the middle day (usually a more chilled out affair) would be brilliant. DnB may be get to 175 bpm but the autonomic style is usually stripped down with room to breath between the beats. (listen to some of amazing tracks like A Man and a Woman, 11 Circles & Lime Green). The Test Dreams LP isn't really drum and bass anyway.

Good call, something like Consequence vs dBridge closing middle day would be awesome, not sure if the organisers would go down that dnb path though. That minimal style would sound so good on the F1s...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweebs View Post

Claudio PRC?

All good picks, this just reminded me I'm sure I remember reading somewhere Claudio PRC is coming to Aus this year, does anyone else remember seeing that?
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 258
I think Claudio PRC was an option that was available, but it never got further than that.

He has an album coming out on Prologue in the next few months by the way.
My mixes:

Track list

tweebs +

Times thanked
< 12
Keeping the fires burning.

Media Player
YouTube
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 258

Quote:

[list][*]Sendai (Pete van Hoesen & Yves de May): After closing last year, perhaps PvH will switch it up and perform live this year? Should be well practiced with the Sendai shows by September.

Having listened to the samples of the Sendai LP "Geotope" that is now out, and considering Hose's status as festival regular, it is almost unbackable that they will get the last set on the middle night (previously Shackleton and Voices from the Lake). Then again, they are probably just as likely to change things up.
My mixes:

Track list

emulator +

arrogant prick

Times thanked
< 129
http://www.flickr.com/photos/confuse...893017/detail/
{strange signals}
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 483
Maaan, i forget, but is it your photostream? ?
Are you guys going back this year?
What happened with your friend who took photos in the tohoku region? did they end up getting displayed somewhere?
emulator +

arrogant prick

Times thanked
< 129
Yeah, my photostream. Only got around to getting them online last night. There's a great stack of other shots too (including a few more of panda man), but have to draw the line somewhere!

My friend, who volunteered and photographed around Sendai hasn't publicly displayed his shots. He should. The ones I've seen are incredibly powerful and moving.
{strange signals}

Last edited by emulator: 12-Apr-12 at 01:33pm

Instant Sam +

Times thanked
< 21
Is this on like every year without fail (like Sonar etc) or is it a year to year proposition? If its on i'm thinking of going.
ratticus +

facebook.com/thepublicworksdepartment

Times thanked
< 1,433
Pretty sure it's a solid thing, defs on this year.

Here's something to think about as well: http://www.centreforaviation.com/ana...terminal-71315

Upcoming Works:
5 Apr - Tessela + Kowton, Lounge
13-14 Apr - Pleasure Planet 24hr 1st Bday, Lounge
9 May - Capacity 300: Inigo Kennedy

Permanent clearance by: #1-01
muse +

Times thanked
< 266
I'm going this year fo shizzle
gyarados +

Times thanked
< 24
i'm definitely going again if i dont have uni. i have a feeling i may have an intensive uni weekend on the exact date..... :/

nice photos emulator
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 483
Yea, i can't imagine how photos from that area wouldnt be. Awww, panda man... YAY, noticed you had a photo of my friend as well! hahaha, he featured in a fair few online (unknowns) photos, social floozy that he is.
DomJuan +

Times thanked
< 27
Looks like i will be back in Tokyo for this.

Interested to see Jeff Mills do a set as The Wizard.

Surgeon does a four hour set that night as well at Unit.

May also get to do this to this.

Galaxy2Galaxy

Last edited by DomJuan: 15-Apr-12 at 11:28am

smorchika +

Times thanked
< 483
Not to be overly dramatic, but i just want to cry, have extra fun for me, and if you feel so inclined please post a review.
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
< 351
that Metamorphose lineup is insane!
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 483
15-17th Sept this year, who is going?
Instant Sam +

Times thanked
< 21
Looking at it. Would like to see lineup but
theadrianclub +

Times thanked
< 39
I'm definitely going this year, visit some friends, check out some sideshows then im planning to go to Krakow for unsound
Instant Sam +

Times thanked
< 21
So its end of May - anyone know when these people are going to release a line up?
emulator +

arrogant prick

Times thanked
< 129
Lineup trickled out from mid-June to mid-July last year.
{strange signals}
Instant Sam +

Times thanked
< 21
So in order to get a chepish airfare, you have to book on spec. That what you did last year Matt?
emulator +

arrogant prick

Times thanked
< 129
No. Actually, last year I booked quite late due to the whole Fukushima incident, waited to see how that all played out. Ended up flying with JAL for $999 I think.
{strange signals}
Instant Sam +

Times thanked
< 21
Right. Cheapest i can see on JAL for those dates is $1400 and JetStar is $1100. Maybe chat to you about it at Racket tomorrow night (if you going).
DomJuan +

Times thanked
< 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Instant Sam View Post

Right. Cheapest i can see on JAL for those dates is $1400 and JetStar is $1100. Maybe chat to you about it at Racket tomorrow night (if you going).

Qantas have fares for about $1100. Its a direct night flight both ways so you get a full day when you arrive.
Instant Sam +

Times thanked
< 21
You sure that not JetStar? Cause i got my JetStar quote via a search on the Qantas website. If your quote relates to a flight in an actual Qantas plane, that would be way better as JetStar blows (pay extra for food and beers, no movies, nazi bag limits etc)
liseyt +

hai

Times thanked
< 100
We booked QANTAS in late June last year for $1100 return (ex Perth).
Coming up for TLOY Perth:

Octave One (live)
Ben Sims
Robert Hood
DomJuan +

Times thanked
< 27

Quote:

You sure that not JetStar? Cause i got my JetStar quote via a search on the Qantas website. If your quote relates to a flight in an actual Qantas plane, that would be way better as JetStar blows (pay extra for food and beers, no movies, nazi bag limits etc)

100% i just checked the Qantas website. It's QF21 to Narita and QF22 returning. I flew with them 2 weeks ago.

I agree about Jetstar, fuck them! I was 8kgs over on the way back with Qantas and the let me take it on the plane. Was pretty happy with that.
Instant Sam +

Times thanked
< 21
That's way cool. Just have to convince significant other to forgo promised holiday in the tropics.
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 483
Prolly a silly question, but as its not open to overseas visitors anymore, im wondering if i will still be able to book a place to stay via the same site as last year?
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by smorchika View Post

Prolly a silly question, but as its not open to overseas visitors anymore, im wondering if i will still be able to book a place to stay via the same site as last year?

just to clarify, labyrinth is not "not open to overseas visitors", it is just that there will no longer be the ticket reservation system that was tried for the last 2 years.
http://mnmlssg.blogspot.com/
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 483
Ah, ok, i have no issue with that alone then.
Sorry for paraphrasing/as i mentioned it was probably a silly question.
p.s. thanks
grumf +

"If I want to put my hands in the air I will. I don't need some fuck-stick telling me what to do." - Aphex Twin

Times thanked
< 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Disco View Post

just to clarify, labyrinth is not "not open to overseas visitors", it is just that there will no longer be the ticket reservation system that was tried for the last 2 years.

I can't remember, but were tickets available through the Lawson stores last year?

Japan's a long way to go from W.A. without a Labyrinth ticket
DomJuan +

Times thanked
< 27

Quote:

That's way cool. Just have to convince significant other to forgo promised holiday in the tropics.

Plenty of chilled out places you could go after the party. I mean Japan is an Island and the weather will be somewhat tropical that time of year.

Just got an email from Qantas with fares around the time of Labyrinth return from Sydney for $999. Get on it.
tweebs +

Times thanked
< 12

Quote:

Hey Chris - Your info (and help with reservations) last year was invaluable. Are you planning on posting any ticketing tips this time around or will it be more hands off across the board from SSGS? In the process of negotiating leave for Laby into my new contract so thinking ahead a bit. Hope to see you in Naeba.
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 98

Quote:

Hey Chris - Your info (and help with reservations) last year was invaluable. Are you planning on posting any ticketing tips this time around or will it be more hands off across the board from SSGS? In the process of negotiating leave for Laby into my new contract so thinking ahead a bit. Hope to see you in Naeba.

for reasons largely separate from labyrinth, mnml ssgs will not be involved at all this year.
http://mnmlssg.blogspot.com/
Instant Sam +

Times thanked
< 21

Quote:

So how's actually work then if you are coming from OS? Do you have to go through a Japanese Ticketmaster or some such? Or is it names at the door? Or some other mechanism? Cheers
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 258

Quote:

That's a relief, I thought Japan was getting all imperial again.
My mixes:

Track list

tweebs +

Times thanked
< 12

Quote:

for reasons largely separate from labyrinth, mnml ssgs will not be involved at all this year.

Cheers bud, thanks for clarifying.
mr_yan +

Times thanked
< 2
im definitely there. went last year.

it's amazing - just GO.
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 483
From what i understand, tickets are available from sites like (disc union and) e+ to reserve online, they send you an email with the ticket information and you decide which francise you want to pick your ticket up at i.e. Lawson/711/Familymart. Present your email and they will give you a ticket, you pay at the time, pretty easy (not entirely sure if this is how it will work, but this was how i purchased tickets to another festival last year).
In the case of disc union etc, im not entirely sure tbh? Something similar i would imagine.
mr_yan +

Times thanked
< 2
My understanding is that tickets will only be through the Lawson tickets system?

Time to make friends with someone in Japan!
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 483
Oh, i just thought it meant there wasnt any reserved tickets i.e. your name is put on the list and you pay for it at the gate (for international visitors).
Instant Sam +

Times thanked
< 21
So you can only buy them if you are in Japan? Surely you can buy them on the net somehow?
DomJuan +

Times thanked
< 27
This is what was posted last year on mmnl ssgs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnml ssgs View Post

For the last 2 years Mindgames, with our help, have experimented with a system for people from overseas to register for special discount tickets for Labyrinth to be held at the gate. For practical and other reasons, this will not be continued in 2012. Neither Mindgames nor MNML SSGS will be organizing ticket reservations for international guests. Instead it will be reverting to the previous format where tickets are only available for advance purchase through all the normal outlets in Japan, some of which offer online purchase. We thought it best to announce this now so people could factor it into their plans.

I read that as you cant email SSGS or Mindgames for tckets, you have to buy them from an outlet some of which offer online sales.

Im pretty sure Disc Union offer on line sales. Im not sure if the ticket is a PDF or sent to your phone.My Nihongo reading skills are not that advanced and google translate was not so helpful. I was going to buy a ticket to something recently on their site but ended up getting it when i was there. .

I would not stress to much about tickets, if you really want to go you will get one some how. Wait till there released before you start stressing.
Instant Sam +

Times thanked
< 21
I dunno - buy airfare, book and maybe pay in advance for accomo, but no idea who's playing or how to buy a ticket. Been told not to worry about the lineup, which i accept, but would like some sense of certainty that I will be able to get a ticket.
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 483
Come on come on come on!!! Announce some details, i can't wait to see whats in store this year!
Quite literally bursting with excitement

« Previous Thread Next Thread »