The DJ Booth

Do you have to use physical turntables and have to premix for club djing?

Tools
soundscape2011 +

Times thanked
< 0
Do you have to use physical turntables and have to premix for club djing?
Basically I have been doing mobile discos for a while, I definitively don't know everything or alot in other words but I know I love reading the crowd, music selection and having a bit of fun with the mixing. Recently a club night promoter has asked me about doing some of there nights, I defo want to have a go, but when you go to clubs I usually see the dj's using turntables and looking like they had premixed stuff, but because of the style of mobile discos I have actually never touched a physical turntable in my life and never really pre mixed, I just always do it on the night, I do practice at home but its not the same. What do people think or am I being a complete idiot? Thanks.
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 115
Huh???

Yep. We all just pre record sets and pretend to mix. It's a bit of a secret though so don't tell anyone.

See. Swedish House Mafia @ Dance Valley for an example.

Or Justice.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
< 1,483
do you mean some of the dj's are playing mashups? ie 2 songs layered on top of each other and recorded as one track?
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
nocturnal_groova +

Times thanked
< 78
Most clubs have cdj's or turntables...learn to mix on those. no real djs play pre recorded sets lol.
Kent +

Times thanked
< 19
Some records were made to mix with certain others and sometimes I rehearse mixing those records together. Pre-recorded sets are for international superstar losers like Guetta.

Keep it live and keep it fun.
stuff
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 2,991
im confused. what do you actually do as a mobile dj?, do you use cdjs? do you mix at all?

if so then you're half way there. you dont need to learn to play on turntables, all clubs have cdjs, and no you dont pre mix your stuff, unless you're a crap superstar dj
soundcloud
mixcloud
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
< 20
obvious troll, i award you 0 internets

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

soundscape2011 +

Times thanked
< 0
Right ok. So I now understand turntables are for records/vinyl. What I meant was the CD decks. I have never used them before, I normally use dj software on my laptop. I what I meant by premixing was that I heard that djs at clubs spend time mixing everything before the gig, for example a friend of mine does house music and he spends ages before the party pre mixing.
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
< 1,483
Premixing? You mean practising?
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,249
I think you'll find he's practising...clud style DJing involves beat matching the tracks to the same tempo (pitch control on side of the CDJs controls the speed, speed it up or slow it down to get them playing at the same tempo) and mixing them together for lengthy periods of time, something you only get good at with practice, and the practice leads you to finding which tracks work together and which tracks don't.

No one (aside from the hacks) 'pre-mixes', to us, that describes recording a 2 hour set at home and just pushing play and pretending to DJ live
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
dbushby +

Custom User Title

Times thanked
< 270
If you have to ask these types of questions... then you really shouldn't be djing in clubland.

Stick to mobile discos. Sounds like you are more suited to playing Cotton Eye Joe at school discos.
generalninja +

Times thanked
< 3
^ouch
soundscape2011 +

Times thanked
< 0
Right. Well I don't care what anyone thinks. You have to start somewhere. I already know this stuff really just wanted to check with people who have more experience than me. I defo never just record music then just click play, I just wanted to understand fully what people meant by this term. Thanks everyone for you help.
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 115
http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/boo...mmies/1464964/

Maybe the safest thing to do.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
DJ D one +

Times thanked
< 1
Got to love this guy, hopefully the book can offer some good insight...
D1
www.weeknsoundz.com
audiolive +

Times thanked
< 0
Farkin pissa!
https://www.facebook.com/TechnicsModsAustralia
b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234
I do all my premixing on physical turntables. So in answer to your question, yes.
Wats clubing by yourself like and dose enyone do it
Phorte +

Times thanked
< 9
i'll be premixing my protein shakes in time for stereosonic.
Ghostman +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

Huh???

Yep. We all just pre record sets and pretend to mix. It's a bit of a secret though so don't tell anyone.

See. Swedish House Mafia @ Dance Valley for an example.

Or Justice.

hahaha love it!!!
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
< 3,174
if d1 is taking the piss out of you then you are beyond help. sorry.
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
< 146
You'd all feel like a bunch of gronks if he actually meant "Pre-plan" when he said Pre-mix..
BradCooper +

Times thanked
< 1
I'm guessing he means pre plan his sets - pick out his tunes for the night... not my style though.. winging it is the way

« Previous Thread Next Thread »