House, Techno and Progressive

the techno big guns who haven't evolved in the last 10 years

Page 2 of 3
  Tools
MissAnge +

She has the blood of reptile just underneath her skin..

Times thanked
< 863

Quote:

Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Carola sucked the last two times I saw him (once at Stereosonic in Syd, and in the USA last year).

He was so boring at Stereosonic, I'm still disappointed.
...what does that even mean?!
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 266

Quote:

Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Actually, Rob Hood. He's a great DJ, enjoyed him the last two times he played here, but it was pretty much 1994 - 2004 140bpm techno.

As a producer he has stayed ahead of the pack.

As a DJ he seems equal parts nostalgia and new stuff. He certainly still bangs the shit out of it.
My mixes:

Bruno Orso’s Sunrise Over Tocumwal, 28 January 2012
Track list

Orso's Sounds of the Tunnel Vol 1, December 2013
Suspekt +

Bring on Rainbow Serpent Festival already!!!

Times thanked
< 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radic View Post

i'm surprised richie hawtin even got a mention cuz what he's doing dj wise is pretty contemporary stuff. Sure his music isn't as rocking as it once was but he's right up there in the modern game IMO. The legend of Hawtin continues to grow as he's definitely made that transition to the modern game quite comfortably. The newer generation of clubbers love him.

Whether or not his music is as "rocking as it once was" is a bit redundant I think... Have you heard this guy play recently or seen the rebooted Plastikman? Richie shouldn't even come up in this convo.

Techno has just diversified. It takes up many different forms but it's still the root of most of 4/4 dance music. I agree there are too many big famous guys resting on their laurels or going in tangents we don't all like, but for every one of them, there are a 1000 other artists doing great things. If you can't find good techno, dig deeper!

Otherwise maybe you're just resting on your laurels with your taste? hehe
Web: www.open-records.net
Facebook: www.listn.to/openrecords
Myspace: www.myspace.com/openrecordsaustralia
Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/openrecordsaustralia
Twitter: www.twitter.com/openrecords
Tumblr: http://openrecords.tumblr.com
Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
< 505

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmontyc View Post

and cari hasnt changed .... really, i think his style has changed the most out of the lists from above

Agreed. And I love his new shit as much as his old shit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

Mercury-Drinker +

but still...

Times thanked
< 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by muse View Post

I wish Ludovic Navarre would evolve back to techno

I'd rather he just give us more music, whatever the style. Boulevard, From Detroit to St Germain and Tourist are all special in their own way. Tourist is a classic. That can't be denied.
muse +

Times thanked
< 266
I would die of happiness if he made another Detroit to St Germaine-style album, and Boulevard is the better of the jazzy albums imo.

Media Player

patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
< 2,287
i love that album

Media Player
St Germain - Soul Salsa Soul - YouTube

muse +

Times thanked
< 266
that is such a choon, i love it
Mercury-Drinker +

but still...

Times thanked
< 43
While we're listing St Germain favourites, Pont Des Arts would have to be one of mine. Every element just melts together perfectly. Amazing use of keys to build the song too.

Media Player
YouTube
justbecause +

Times thanked
< 18
Thanks for sharing that stuff. It sounds awesome!
muse +

Times thanked
< 266
ok last one, promise

Media Player
YouTube
El3ktr0k1d +

Times thanked
< 1
paul oakenfold and seb fontaine definately
Wowk +

Times thanked
< 505
^^ And just like that, the magic is gone.

Quote:

Radic +

Times thanked
< 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suspekt

]Have you heard this guy play recently or seen the rebooted Plastikman? Richie shouldn't even come up in this convo.

You do realise i'm saying that Hawtin has evolved yeah? Read my post again......

Quote:

Techno has just diversified. It takes up many different forms but it's still the root of most of 4/4 dance music. I agree there are too many big famous guys resting on their laurels or going in tangents we don't all like, but for every one of them, there are a 1000 other artists doing great things.

Not sure where your heading with this. Did someone in this thread say that there's no other awesome techno producers/ dj's besides those main guys from 10 years ago?

Quote:

If you can't find good techno, dig deeper!

Huh? Who's complaining that they can't find any good techno around in this thread. Please explain.

Quote:

Otherwise maybe you're just resting on your laurels with your taste? hehe

Do you even know what this thread is about? What's this thread got to do with my taste for techno? Please explain.

This thread is about the big name techno producers from around 10 years ago and how they have made the transition up into the new school techno of today. As a fan for over 15 or so years it's been really interesting watching/ hearing the progress of some of my favourite producers/ dj's. Imagine the pressure some of these people must feel to stay modern and ahead of the pack as they get older.

Let's say Jeff Mills for example. This guy has been just about the king of techno for around 20 years. He truly believes in his art. You can hear it in his sets the way he constructs his music. That guy is an artist first and the journey he takes us on is truly inspiring stuff if your a fan. Now skip ahead to today and Jeff Mill's style hasn't changed too much compared to some of the other guys. Imagine what it must be like for him when for 20 years he's headlining festivals all around the world then the techno scene totally changes and all of a sudden he's playing at 2pm in the afternoon to a half packed dance floor with most of the younger generation saying "who's this dude" (aka Stereosonic a few years ago).

Is jeff being left behind? Music does evolve so should Jeff evolve? He has evolved but not to the likes of someone like Hawtin, Speedy J or Leibing that's for sure. Does he sell out to stay relevant in the modern game? Is his time up? It's an interesting topic. I love Jeff Mills by the way.
Soundcloud
My old art page CHECK IT OUT!!!!!
New techno mx up on Youtube. CHECK IT OUT!!!!
nocturnal_groova +

Times thanked
< 78
Dave Clarke and svan vath spring to mind the most.

Funny thing is, I quite like the new sounds a lot of the DJ's mentioned are playing. I like lekebuschs sound, hawtin is still amaxing and Robert hood plays the tech I like most out of the lot. I purchased two awesome aril brikha tunes yesterday...tundra and Palma, both top quality.

Just because an artist changes it isn't all bad, just got to roll with the times. Hell, I rate cj bogland as my favorite tech act ever but what has he done lately lol. It's just nostalgia of good times past.

I digress lol. I think you know what I'm getting at
muse +

Times thanked
< 266
Palma is so damn good
Psyentist +

http://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann/

Times thanked
< 298
Jeff Mills has been playing the same set for 20 years. It's strange that a lot of people still aren't sick of it.

Adam Beyer shouldn't be in this list. He should be someone who has 'devolved' into a boring 12 track an hour DJ. He used to be unbelievable in the late 90's and early 00's. His three deck sets were the absolute best. Marco Carola falls into this same catergory. What the hell happened to Marco?

Sven Vath has always been rubbish. You guys were just on better drugs when you thought he was good.

You're wrong about Cari.
Gene Hoffmann at Trench, Sydney (supporting Inigo Kennedy May-2014)
feat. Pfirter, Clouds, Developer, Surgeon, Regis, The Black Dog, Northern Structures etc...

Set & tracklist:
https://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann...-trench-sydney

primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,005
I still enjoy Adam Beyer's sets, but I find he has become a bit flat in the last year or two, more to do with track selection tbh (and the output in general on Drumcode). He was a machine on 3back in the day, but I still loved his transistion into the more stripped back, minimal sound. Fabric 22 remains one of my favourite mix CD's ever and that 4hr set from 2006 (Platform, Toronto) is immense.

I definitely feel your pain about Carola. Gone from absolute DJ maestro and one of the best producers in techno, to wearing black V-cut T's, producing the same minimal bongo track, then playing minimal bongo sets (with some spanish horns). I actually thought Fabric 31 was quite good, at least then he was playing the more interesting minimal of the time ie Alex Smoke, Someone Else etc.
Lima +

Times thanked
< 42
Marco Carola is the fucking worst dj on the planet - shoot him
Originally Posted by chimby
Does that make you multi-retarded SurfinBird?
Psyentist +

Times thanked
< 298
That's the thing though, he isn't. No one could rock the loopy / funky techno on three decks and create such a driving, interesting, fun set like Marco back in the day. He was brilliant. Mixing with only EQ and gain, never touching the platter to beatmatch. The guy was the bomb.
feat. Pfirter, Clouds, Developer, Surgeon, Regis, The Black Dog, Northern Structures etc...

Set & tracklist:

baax +

Times thanked
< 621

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist View Post

That's the thing though, he isn't. No one could rock the loopy / funky techno on three decks and create such a driving, interesting, fun set like Marco back in the day. He was brilliant. Mixing with only EQ and gain, never touching the platter to beatmatch. The guy was the bomb.

Carola live in Houston 2000

*One decent stuff up aside*
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
JamRock +

Haus-Boat cruise with Ian Pooley - Good Friday! :)

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

Mixing with the pitch control? Pretty hard to adjust the speed of a track with just EQ and gain innit?!
>>> FUNKAGENDA >> TECHPHONICS > FRI 24 JAN > MR KIM'S

> Playing tech tunes every Tuesday, 6pm-8pm (Adelaide time) on www.soundpond.net
muse +

Times thanked
< 266
Saw Jeff Mills in Vienna on Tuesday night, bored the absolute crap out of me. I tried unsuccessfully to dance over the course of the night at various stages of inebriation, just found his sound really dated, overly intellectual and not groovy at all. Admittedly I have never really loved his sound, by far prefer the more raw, tribal, soulful end of detroit techno, but I was expecting to enjoy it more than I did. Oh well.

Machine (KDG and Ben Sims' party) on the other hand was great, only new music and solid technoes from start to finish (guests Rolando, Surgeon and Luke Slater made for a pretty flawless line-up though )
baax +

Times thanked
< 621
Wow, what a line up
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
Psyentist +

Times thanked
< 298

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamRock View Post

Mixing with the pitch control? Pretty hard to adjust the speed of a track with just EQ and gain innit?!

Yes, just using the pitch control. Me and a few mates started doing it after seeing him pull it off at around 2000. It's not an easy thing to master, but worthwhile learning because it makes everything a lot more smooth and tight, especially when you're slowing down a track.

Set & tracklist:

MissAnge +

She has the blood of reptile just underneath her skin..

Times thanked
< 863
Wait, what? Do you speed up a track then pull it back in time? (or vice versa) Or slow increases/decreases until it falls in sync?
...what does that even mean?!
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 167
correct, over correct on pitch till the track catches up, then re-adjust to keep in time. Works a treat for minor corrections.
Haul 5 out soon, Project Squared EP out now

soundcloud
hAUL Music
sounds_echoed +

stasis is death. see you on the other side.

Times thanked
< 318
Ben Klock is pretty average these days
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
< 33
Lols at Klock.

Hood is a legend. He didn't really have to evolve that much, Techno met him halfway. That's how legendary he is.
Mills has evolved somewhat. Not a lot. Maybe not enough to be Inducted into the berghain hall of fame though.
His sets will always be his sets. It's a love or hate thing I guess. Last time I saw him he did drop some obvious choices but it was mixed with a quasi 'now' sound. Can completely understand why people have gone off him a bit though.
Guys like sims and Clarke et al are probably just waiting til loopy bangin shit is popular again.
Soundcloud
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

Originally Posted by benkanemill View Post

Guys like sims and Clarke et al are probably just waiting til loopy bangin shit is popular again.

Hopefully it won't be long!

> Playing tech tunes every Tuesday, 6pm-8pm (Adelaide time) on www.soundpond.net
Psyentist +

Times thanked
< 298

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissAnge View Post

Wait, what? Do you speed up a track then pull it back in time? (or vice versa) Or slow increases/decreases until it falls in sync?

You start with larger 'wave like motions' with your wrist and slowly make them smaller as you find the correct pitch position. It's a skill worth aquiring.

Set & tracklist:

JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

Originally Posted by benkanemill View Post

primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,005

Quote:

You start with larger 'wave like motions' with your wrist and slowly make them smaller as you find the correct pitch position. It's a skill worth aquiring.

ie Riding the pitch. ellaskins on youtube has some good tutorials on it, but it's one of those things that will take a lot of practice. I am still not used to it but it's something I want to master more, definitely a smoother way to mix.
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
< 352

Quote:

this is how lots of old school house djs mix. they have one hand riding the pitch and the other controlling the faders/rotary knobs. just watch some vids of Louie Vega mixing. Especially useful when mixing un-quantized stuff like disco, which always slips in and out.

I'm starting to get ok at this technique. its definitely challenging to pull off a set without touching the platter or record during mixing
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
< 33

Quote:

I wouldn't get your hopes up buddy.
.....nor should Dave Clarke.
Soundcloud
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

Sounds like having sex but just sticking the tip in

Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 854
Well, look on the bright side. You inched closer to your magic number.

It was just the tip, Hank. It doesn't count.

The tip counts.

You think?

Fucking-a. The tip always counts.

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,005

Quote:

Sounds like having sex but just sticking the tip in

JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
So anyone know what happened to Gaetek? (Gaetano Parisio)?

Responsible for some monster tracks:

Media Player
Gaetek - Pain 23 - A1 - Untitled - YouTube

Media Player
Chris Liebing - Analogon (Gaetano Parisio Remix 01) - YouTube

And then just kinda disappeared off the face of the Earth? Few bits'n'bobs on Beatport but that's about it...

Anyone know? Psyentist? TechiOne? Bueller?

hpstekno +

Times thanked
< 14
chris liberator .. still playing the same stuff he was playing in 1998 actually all those london acid guys except maybe Henry
hopselectroniks@myspace
MY JJJunearthed page
Psyentist +

Times thanked
< 298

Quote:

So anyone know what happened to Gaetek? (Gaetano Parisio)?

And then just kinda disappeared off the face of the Earth? Few bits'n'bobs on Beatport but that's about it...

Anyone know? Psyentist? TechiOne? Bueller?

Wouldn't have a clue what happened to him, but you're right, he was a great producer and an AWESOME 3 deck DJ back in the day.

Every techno fan should listen to this Gaetek set at least once in their life: http://hardsignal.net/sets/bestsetse...2002_03_16.MP3

Set & tracklist:

antonbanks +

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno from Burwood View Post

... Adam-X probably hasn't evolved that much ...

Don't know if you knew but Adam X now records as Traversable Wormhole and those releases are well worth a listen.
Anton Banks
The Vault- 88.1FM
www.antonbanks.com
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
Just came across this and I'm only 15 minutes in but this is Adam Beyer smashing the fark out of it...

Get it in and around your mouth:

Media Player

baax +

Times thanked
< 621
A couple of dudes in the comments reckon it's Charles Siegling from a mix cd, from what I've heard of Siegling I'm inclined to agree.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
Oh really? Top mix anyways. Im enjoying

edit:
This one? http://www.discogs.com/Charles-Siegl.../release/99317

It's not that.

Tracklist under the Youtube video looks correct to me (very different to tracklist on Charles Siegling mix)

rolf harris +

I can't get no, satisfaction

Times thanked
< 185
Sims is really diverse imo, seen him in europe last year and it was really heavy, churning late 90's, loved it. Then you check his sound cloud and as you guys know he has the funk-you podcast, essex rascals , he does electro, he can do hip hop he can do it all. a dj's dj.

saw beyer and Liebing at a drumcode party too, beyer was good but he was warming up for chris so naturally he played a great warm-up set the chris smashed it.

i saw sasha the other month and he was boring, sounded like he was just playing a cd
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 266

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonbanks View Post

Don't know if you knew but Adam X now records as Traversable Wormhole and those releases are well worth a listen.

Well aware of that. Adam X was saying that part of the reason that he used the TW alias was that he felt he was being ignored because of what he had produced. While TW is a little more refined it is substantially the same stuff. It is an example of the evolution being a story of the victor enjoying the spoils. His (lack of) evolution has not hurt one but because of the rise of sounds that he has always favoured.
My mixes:

Bruno Orso’s Sunrise Over Tocumwal, 28 January 2012
Track list

Orso's Sounds of the Tunnel Vol 1, December 2013
baax +

Times thanked
< 621

Quote:

Oh really? Top mix anyways. Im enjoying

Agreed, it's smashing stuff
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
Wowk +

Times thanked
< 505

Quote:

Originally Posted by baax View Post

A couple of dudes in the comments reckon it's Charles Siegling from a mix cd, from what I've heard of Siegling I'm inclined to agree.

Yeah it definitely sounds like Siegling, both in terms of tunes and mixing style. I don't Beyer ever really played or mixed like that, even when he used to play a lot harder. Either way, it's a fucking dope mix.

Quote:

Instant Sam +

Times thanked
< 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolf harris View Post

i saw sasha the other month and he was boring, sounded like he was just playing a cd

techno big gun?
Page 2 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »