Melbourne

JMC or SAE's Audio Engineering/Sound Production course?

Tools
sleepy_head +

Times thanked
< 0
JMC or SAE's Audio Engineering/Sound Production course?
I'm changing courses next year and I've been thinking which uni to go to? Which is better? JMC or SAE?

I was thinking of SAE since it's only 2 years and I wanted to finish uni ASAP. (I'm also currently doing IT and this is my 2nd year) But then again, I'd prefer to go to a uni that offers better music education

I really need opinions about this.
henez +

Times thanked
< 16
Hi,

I can't offer advice on either of those courses because I haven't been there, I'm currently doing sound production at Box Hill Tafe though, I recommend the course if you are self-motivated. You get out what you're willing to put into it. And don't forget RMIT also offer courses... Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge on the differences can point you in the right direction.
www.soundcloud.com/mu2l
sleepy_head +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by henez View Post

Hi,

I can't offer advice on either of those courses because I haven't been there, I'm currently doing sound production at Box Hill Tafe though, I recommend the course if you are self-motivated. You get out what you're willing to put into it. And don't forget RMIT also offer courses... Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge on the differences can point you in the right direction.

How's the course at Box Hill Tafe? I actually don't mind which uni I go to.. As long as the instructors are good.
Xelpmok +

Unregistered

Times thanked
< 58
what exactly do you want to learn?
--do not click this link here--
spazzy99 +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy_head View Post

I actually don't mind which uni I go to.. As long as the instructors are good.

Avoid JMC then. Then lectures are very questionable.

Last edited by spazzy99: 02-Jun-12 at 06:51pm

sleepy_head +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xelpmok View Post

what exactly do you want to learn?

I am actually more into DJ-ing stuff but of course.. I would like to work with musicians as well. Like record with them.
sleepy_head +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by spazzy99 View Post

Avoid JMC then. Then lectures are very questionable.

What's with JMC's lectures? So do you recommend SAE more?
ChemicalJames +

GREEN EGGS AND HAm

Times thanked
< 392
You don't need to go to uni to DJ? You can train a monkey to DJ using youtube clips alone.
fffffffff
sleepy_head +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChemicalJames View Post

You don't need to go to uni to DJ? You can train a monkey to DJ using youtube clips alone.

Lol no! I'm not going to uni just to 'DJ'. I already know how to. and That's just really stupid. I said that I'm more into that stuff but I want to be an Audio Engineer.

Last edited by sleepy_head: 02-Jun-12 at 09:01pm

spazzy99 +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Lol no! I'm not going to uni just to 'DJ'. I already know how to. and That's just really stupid. I said that I'm more into that stuff but I want to be an Audio Engineer.

Are you looking at doing the audio course because you 'like it' and your interested in learning about the industry as in a hobby OR are you looking at it as a career opportunity as the primary goal of doing the course?

Most people that do audio course can't get work in the industry, as in live/studio work per-say.

JMC costs $13,000 per year ($39,000 for the full: 'Bachelor of Creative Technology / Audio Engineering and Sound Production' course). Not sure what the other institutes charge!

From experience at JMC 75% of people that enrol drop-out of the 1st or 2nd years anyways... Wouldn't waste your time if that's what your gonna do!!!!

Last edited by spazzy99: 02-Jun-12 at 10:47pm

sleepy_head +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Are you looking at doing the audio course because you 'like it' and your interested in learning about the industry as in a hobby OR are you looking at it as a career opportunity as the primary goal of doing the course?

Most people that do audio course can't get work in the industry, as in live/studio work per-say.

JMC costs $13,000 per year ($39,000 for the full: 'Bachelor of Creative Technology / Audio Engineering and Sound Production' course). Not sure what the other institutes charge!

From experience at JMC 75% of people that enrol drop-out of the 1st or 2nd years anyways... Wouldn't waste your time if that's what your gonna do!!!!

I want to do it because I like it, I want to learn it and I am also looking at it as a career opportunity..

Most people can't get work in the industry? Really? :/ Damnnnnn. Did you go to JMC or knew someone who went there and dropped out?
spazzy99 +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

I want to do it because I like it, I want to learn it and I am also looking at it as a career opportunity..

Most people can't get work in the industry? Really? :/ Damnnnnn. Did you go to JMC or knew someone who went there and dropped out?

Have you actually looked at how many audio jobs are advertised! Yeah i'm an ex-student that completed the course.
sleepy_head +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Have you actually looked at how many audio jobs are advertised! Yeah i'm an ex-student that completed the course.

Did you end up getting a job for it? And how's the course overall?
spazzy99 +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Did you end up getting a job for it? And how's the course overall?

Yes i got a job. But honestly i think JMC is well over-rated. Definitely would not recommend it to anyone! They should be aiming 50% of the course at the 'live music' side, rather than teaching relentless crap that's a good waste of time when your on the job. There primary platform software base they use and teach is Protools. But for dance music Q Base, Ableton, ect are really good but it's a shame they don't teach any of that there, or very minor amounts of Ableton. I had to learn that all myself on my own. So if your looking at more software based knowledge that is not Protools, JMC is a complete waste of money and time.

There facilities are pretty poor too. The media lab they have still used old PC, they should be all Mac based systems in the modern generation. They only really have one large good studio which is restricted to 3rd (final year) students anyways, the rest of the studios are sub standard rooms.

Last edited by spazzy99: 03-Jun-12 at 12:34am

sleepy_head +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Yes i got a job. But honestly i think JMC is well over-rated. Definitely would not recommend it to anyone! They should be aiming 50% of the course at the 'live music' side, rather than teaching relentless crap that's a good waste of time when your on the job. There primary platform software base they use and teach is Protools. But for dance music Q Base, Ableton, ect are really good but it's a shame they don't teach any of that there, or very minor amounts of Ableton. I had to learn that all myself on my own. So if your looking at more software based knowledge that is not Protools, JMC is a complete waste of money and time.

There facilities are pretty poor too. The media lab they have still used old PC, they should be all Mac based systems in the modern generation. They only really have one large good studio which is restricted to 3rd (final year) students anyways, the rest of the studios are sub standard rooms.

What kind of job do you have right now? And when did you graduate? I heard that SAE has really good facilities that's why the fees is a bit more pricey.
henez +

Times thanked
< 16
I'm enjoying the Box Hill course and it is a lot less expensive. Most of the teachers there are really good, they're just people who love music and want to pass their knowledge on. The facilities are good too.
They teach Pro-tools but you also learn Reason/Ableton at the same time, it isn't just strictly Pro-Tools which is good. I didn't like the look of JMC to be honest and I'm glad I didn't go there.
www.soundcloud.com/mu2l
sleepy_head +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

I'm enjoying the Box Hill course and it is a lot less expensive. Most of the teachers there are really good, they're just people who love music and want to pass their knowledge on. The facilities are good too.
They teach Pro-tools but you also learn Reason/Ableton at the same time, it isn't just strictly Pro-Tools which is good. I didn't like the look of JMC to be honest and I'm glad I didn't go there.

What didn't you like about JMC? And I heard that they only use Pro Tools
spazzy99 +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

And I heard that they only use Pro Tools

JMC is a Protools accredited training institute. Hence the reason why they use desks that are made for Protool specific use (Digico desks in there studio 3 + 4).

Last edited by spazzy99: 03-Jun-12 at 10:02pm

spazzy99 +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

They teach Pro-tools but you also learn Reason/Ableton at the same time, it isn't just strictly Pro-Tools which is good.

Exactly, that's why Box Hill has the edge on it competition (JMC). All software programs have one thing they do best that other programs can't do, and vice verser. That's why when mixing and recording it is always good to edit the data on different platforms and use various programs to help enhance the mix.

Last edited by spazzy99: 03-Jun-12 at 10:09pm

henez +

Times thanked
< 16

Quote:

What didn't you like about JMC? And I heard that they only use Pro Tools

My opinion was purely a judgement call, it wasn't based on any first hand experience, I'm just saying I'm very content with my choice of Box Hill, it wasn't the most convenient location but I heard good reports and trusted my gut instinct, the interview was very reassuring too.
I can't slag JMC off as it just wouldn't be fair, but I'de take it from Spazzy if I were you. He went there and got a job and still wouldn't recommend it... I think that says enough.

Just do a bit of research, find out what you can and make wild judgements based on what you find/hear. Best of luck
www.soundcloud.com/mu2l
spazzy99 +

Times thanked
< 4
^^^^
I'm not saying it's bad, i'm just saying i would not recommend it. Like Henez said, do a bit of research before you make a decision.

On a positive note: Over the years there, there were a few brilliant teachers but i guess it was just random who you ended up with at the time.

Last edited by spazzy99: 03-Jun-12 at 10:14pm

sleepy_head +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

^^^^
I'm not saying it's bad, i'm just saying i would not recommend it. Like Henez said, do a bit of research before you make a decision.

On a positive note: Over the years there, there were a few brilliant teachers but i guess it was just random who you ended up with at the time.

What job do you have right now though? And how long did it take you get one?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »