The DJ Booth

Traktor 2.5

Tools
Fourthstate +

Registered Beatist

Times thanked
< 42
Traktor 2.5
After so much anticipation I have to say I'm disappointed by this release.
Uses way too much CPU compared to previous versions.

Anyone have 2.5 working nicely?
Catch me playing next @
Breakznight pres Breakbeat Massive @ The Clubhouse 12th October
Dragon Dreaming Festival 2013 - 25-28 October
facebook / soundcloud / spotify / dj.beatport
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
Others are saying it uses 4 times less CPU... hmmmm...

Upgrading this afternoon hopefully.
Tech-One
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
< 3,951
I'm barely using 70% of the features of V2 ... CBF updating ... it's not going to make me a better DJ by any means
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Fourthstate +

Registered Beatist

Times thanked
< 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas View Post

Others are saying it uses 4 times less CPU... hmmmm...

Upgrading this afternoon hopefully.

I know, false info I say. Uses way more!

There is no way I would play out on this version
I suggest wait till the next update
Catch me playing next @
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 56
Has anyone got an F1 controller yet?

Wait its not out yet
meh..

Last edited by crowy: 29-May-12 at 10:00am

Reason: Derp

shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 123
I was going to upgrade but all the negatives I'm hearing have put me off, it's working perfectly for me as it is and I've only got a first gen macbook air and a i3 PC, so it'd probably destroy both of my machines, I won't use the remix decks, I guess no one is with the F1 not being released yet, anyway won't that make CPU usage even worse???

The other fixes to grid detection etc aren't worth a massive bump in CPU usage especially if I'm not using sync or beat grids (it's easier to mix then beat grid imo)

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
blackt86 +

Times thanked
< 6
its ok but theres to much going on! i guess i was to comfortable with the original version.

Can anyone help me?

im trying to set up midi for the remix desk with my ipad using touch osc but i still want to keep using my timecode disc on my cdjs aswell. is this possible? i can only seem to work out doing one or the other not both together.
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackt86 View Post

its ok but theres to much going on! i guess i was to comfortable with the original version.

Can anyone help me?

im trying to set up midi for the remix desk with my ipad using touch osc but i still want to keep using my timecode disc on my cdjs aswell. is this possible? i can only seem to work out doing one or the other not both together.

I'm pretty sure the only way to use the remix decks is to purchase an F1, they aren't mappable via midi, well nothing beyond what the Sample Decks were anyway.

crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 56
I am thinking I want a F1

Some one go buy one first thing this morning take it home have a go and report back stat!

Or maybe i will go to store dj on my lunch break.....
meh..
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
< 0
Storedj told me they wont be instock until mid june.
Mixes here Poundmix
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 56
booooo!
meh..
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
Id like to try one... Not sure if i will though. ha ha
Tech-One
travellingpom +

Times thanked
< 9
TRaktor 2.5 so far has been a nice upgrade for me. However i do not use remix/sample decks only an x1 controller and cdjs.

Pros

Massive improvement was advanced HID for cdj 900/2000's. Ok its not full like Serato as in you dont get waveforms on the player or ability to browse tracks but you do get super smooth control like using rekordbox/usb sticks. Also works perfectly without using an additional soundcard as you can use the built in cdjs. Massive + for turning up at gigs and not touching the rcas!

one tip though. you need to create a defaut tsi and then re-import your current settings to obtain the new cdj tsi. otherwise the platter will be sluggish as before. there is a lot on the web about this.

Beatgridding is much more accurate and less tweaking. no more 113bpm for drum and bass tracks and more closer to pioneer.

CPU usage is now as it was in 2.0xx range.

Cons

Apparently the beat grid only goes off first pointer so if you have a vinyl rip which fluctuates and you put multiple start points this will be messed up.

as always though make sure when you upgrade you select the "import your previous settings" then you can launch the old 2.0.3 exe to revert back if you find bugs.
scottrotton +

Tommys Theme great tune

Times thanked
< 0
Never used the previsou version but bought my 2.5 with audio 6 to use with my CDJ800 DJM800 and works great, if anything its too easy to beat match, only downflaw I find is the BPM doesnt show corrently on the decks but thats prob becuase its last generation stuff. I also find the pitch far too sensitive but I think you can change that.

Software seems to take the fun out of mixing for me but at least i dont need to burn any more CDs! On the + side now the beat matching is quick I have more time for tricks. What effects pads are people using with it? Im hoping for a cheapish one that will work well with track and maybe live?
www.scottrotton.com - my DJ blog - coming soon...

I dont do requests!!!
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottrotton View Post

Never used the previsou version but bought my 2.5 with audio 6 to use with my CDJ800 DJM800 and works great, if anything its too easy to beat match, only downflaw I find is the BPM doesnt show corrently on the decks but thats prob becuase its last generation stuff. I also find the pitch far too sensitive but I think you can change that.

Software seems to take the fun out of mixing for me but at least i dont need to burn any more CDs! On the + side now the beat matching is quick I have more time for tricks. What effects pads are people using with it? Im hoping for a cheapish one that will work well with track and maybe live?

You can use it without sync if you prefer to manually beatmix. It's optional.

X1s work well with the right mapping for manipulating the effects, never used one with Live though.

slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97

Quote:

Unless you are using sync, the only thing that will make it easy is the beat phase detection... I have mine off because its easy enough to beatmatch..

For effects you should look into the traktor x1, which is just a midi controller, but has good hold of all the internal effects.
Tech-One
djcommodore +

traktor..am i missing something? my s4 is now sluggish since traktor 2.5 and uses soo much cpu..all up in the red. why? and my sample deck are replaced by remix deck which seem to be control only by the fi. what about people who want sample deck stil

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourthstate View Post

After so much anticipation I have to say I'm disappointed by this release.
Uses way too much CPU compared to previous versions.

Anyone have 2.5 working nicely?

i just spoke to the ni tech so basically the remix decks are more advance so more cpu but increase latency to about 512 and it may help
jramsden04 +

Bangaranging

Times thanked
< 0
Optional
I upgraded but i cant tell a huge difference. I use the s4 and it behaves the same as it did when they were called 'sample decks'.
I was wondering if you need the F1 to grab a hold of the full features of the remix decks or can you use an iPad to give you a similar touch?
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by jramsden04 View Post

I upgraded but i cant tell a huge difference. I use the s4 and it behaves the same as it did when they were called 'sample decks'.
I was wondering if you need the F1 to grab a hold of the full features of the remix decks or can you use an iPad to give you a similar touch?

You need an F1 to get the full features of the remix decks.

OR.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/05/3...s-remix-decks/

minimal_damage +

Times thanked
< 5
using traktor 2.5 with i5 and windows 7/64bit. had some issues with latency. tracks kept skipping..it was fixed though by increasing buffer and manually setting CPU affinity to single core using windows task manager (while traktor running). all sorted now. Can't really see noticeable difference in terms of sound quality though. haven't started playing with remix decks yet. waiting get my hands on F1
ekwipt +

Times thanked
< 1
Just buy the F1 from the NI site cheaper than all of the Australian doors and I got my delivery in 4 days. The packages come from China not Germany.

I love the F1, I'm now using only 2 X1s and a F1.

Now I have to think about making all my own loops and remix decks
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 56
i want it i want it i want it!
meh..
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
< 0
Has anyone operated this in conjunction with a ddj-t1? I currently only use this so am wondering whether the f1 will work with the upgraded ddj-t1 software which is basically 2.5 anyways?
Mixes here Poundmix
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
I would check the details of the update for the T1 version, but I dont see why it wouldnt.
Tech-One
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj oldfart View Post

Has anyone operated this in conjunction with a ddj-t1? I currently only use this so am wondering whether the f1 will work with the upgraded ddj-t1 software which is basically 2.5 anyways?

Traktor 2.5 + DDJ-T1 + F1 works fine, I tried it out on the weekend.

Not sure about the Pioneer edition though, I upgraded to the proper version of Traktor pretty quick.

dj oldfart +

Times thanked
< 0
Thanks guys, well you get traktor pro with the f1 so its all good.
Mixes here Poundmix
matt-shep +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

BPM doesn't work with timecode

pitch is also the exact same as if you had a cd loaded?

800s are 10% i wouldn't call that too sensitive
minimal_damage +

Times thanked
< 5
Just got the Traktor 2.5.1 upgrade...works brilliant with CDJ 900's on HID Advance! I don't even have to look at my laptop - it's like i'm working with just the CDJ's. cant use slip mode though - the slip button is actually mapped to syncing tracks. Very pleased so far
Fourthstate +

Registered Beatist

Times thanked
< 42
Yeah the upgrade seems to fix all addressed issues!
Catch me playing next @
dbushby +

Custom User Title

Times thanked
< 270
Has anyone experienced the mountain lion USB3 compatibility issues with 2.5? I'm holding off upgrading to ML for this reason.
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbushby View Post

Has anyone experienced the mountain lion USB3 compatibility issues with 2.5? I'm holding off upgrading to ML for this reason.

Hasn't NI had issues with USB3 for a while? Just out of curiosity how would USB3 help with anything to do with Traktor? USB2 is plenty fast enough I'd have though, that said I'm no expert so I could be wrong....

crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 56
Hey i am still using Traktor Scratch Pro (First Gen)

Is there still a way to upgrade from Scratch Pro to Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 or will i have to buy the whole new application full price? Checked the website and googled but i could not find anything.

It's OK if i have to buy the whole new package i could use some more control vinyl

but would be good to do it on the cheap too.
meh..
travellingpom +

Times thanked
< 9
i am now on 2.5.1 which has the full cdj900/cdj2000 advanced HID integration which works nicely (bye bye timecode for cdjs!). I use it mostly for timecode vinyl and can say it all works really nicely. provided i disable wi-fi i have it running with low cpu usage and done a couple of 4hour gigs (one with technics timecode and the other just using an x1) and has been really solid. this is the only release i would recommend upgrading too from 2.0.3 (which i was running for ages). all the other releases have caused me endless issues.
IncArN8 +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

I was going to upgrade but all the negatives I'm hearing have put me off, it's working perfectly for me as it is and I've only got a first gen macbook air and a i3 PC, so it'd probably destroy both of my machines, I won't use the remix decks, I guess no one is with the F1 not being released yet, anyway won't that make CPU usage even worse???

The other fixes to grid detection etc aren't worth a massive bump in CPU usage especially if I'm not using sync or beat grids (it's easier to mix then beat grid imo)

Dude I had 2.1.2 running pretty well on a duel core 2.1 amd with 3gig ram & I've set Traktor 2.1 up on 3 different i5's & I just installed Traktor 2.5 on a quad core 2.4 amd with 8gig ram & it's definitely harder on cpu & theres no way it'd run on my duel core no chance at all so I'd stick with the older version mate
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 3,007
i was hoping the 2.5.1 upgrade wold solve my probs, but not to be.
Can anyone offer advice on how to stop recordings from skipping?
During the actual recording of a mix everything is fine, then once i play a recording back there are skips here and there.
I have tried adjusting the latency to no avail. I have wifi turned off, and computer sleep turned off, nothing seems to work
running Traktor 2.5.1 (using kontrol s4), on macbook pro, (10.6.8 OS), 2.66 Ghz i7, 8 g ram

this has been going on for months, and i cant find a solution. does anyone have a suggestion??
soundcloud
mixcloud
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
< 1,489
Opposite problem here Ed. I have been using CD timecodes recently and I hear skipping/latency issues which I can't seem to fix and would be very noticeable on a big system, however they don't appear in recordings.
My computer is similar specs to yours also so more than enough for the job at hand.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 3,007
what do you have your latency set at, for interests sake?
soundcloud
mixcloud
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
< 1,489
I have at set rather high (not sure exactly right this sec) but the changing round latency hasn't made a diff.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
m_xt +

Times thanked
< 1,489
Does anyone else have to plug in and unplug their traktor box a few times before traktor recognises a soundcard is hooked up? Heard this was a common prob and it isn't my usb ports causing the problem (I think).
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 1,001

Quote:

Originally Posted by special ed View Post

During the actual recording of a mix everything is fine, then once i play a recording back there are skips here and there.
I have tried adjusting the latency to no avail. I have wifi turned off, and computer sleep turned off, nothing seems to work
running Traktor 2.5.1 (using kontrol s4), on macbook pro, (10.6.8 OS), 2.66 Ghz i7, 8 g ram

this has been going on for months, and i cant find a solution. does anyone have a suggestion??

not sure if any help but i had a similar problem, ended up being a fault on my audio 8 with one of the timecode rca plugs...but im assuming not the same prob as your using a S4

if there's no skips when you're actually playing maybe there's a prob with the recording input? try using an external recorder to elminate the possible causes
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Gary Broadband +

Mine's a pint!

Times thanked
< 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by special ed View Post

Tried repairing disk permissions? How much free HD space do you have?
http://soundcloud.com/bannerboy
minimal_damage +

Times thanked
< 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

if there's no skips when you're actually playing maybe there's a prob with the recording input? try using an external recorder to elminate the possible causes

+1
I don't actually use traktor for recording sets as I find that there's just too much going on for the program. In addition, I get far better sound quality from using an external device anyway. For about $150 bucks you can get studio-quality recording from one of these (this is what I use):
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h1/
It has the ability to record files in high-quality MP3 or lossless WAV. And because it's doing its own thing, it allows traktor to do its own thing as well - without the added burden of recording in real time.
psymonk +

what's in a name? VOEWLz

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

Just out of curiosity how would USB3 help with anything to do with Traktor?

Track load times.
Every ms makes a huge difference when your mix is getting into the 3/4 deck realm with samples and loops.
:: psy/OPs ¯ DRUM&BASS ¯ DUBSTEP ♫ _
:: Soundcloud | Facebook | Twitter //
: ¯
prjkt +

hmmm

Times thanked
< 642

Quote:

Originally Posted by minimal_damage View Post

+1
I don't actually use traktor for recording sets as I find that there's just too much going on for the program. In addition, I get far better sound quality from using an external device anyway. For about $150 bucks you can get studio-quality recording from one of these (this is what I use):
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h1/
It has the ability to record files in high-quality MP3 or lossless WAV. And because it's doing its own thing, it allows traktor to do its own thing as well - without the added burden of recording in real time.

that thing is brilliant, have one, use it for quite a few things

Quote:

Originally Posted by puretrance89 View Post

My muzza's are more tanked up than your muzzas!

minimal_damage +

Times thanked
< 5
passed on the F1...finding that i probably wouldn't be using the remix/sample decks anyway...wondering why NI have locked out other hardware controllers from these features though. their whole bread and butter is the traktor software to begin with. i have a suspicion that sooner or later, the folks NI wil unlock these featurs. Banking on this, i got an A&H xone K2 instead... Traktor 2.5 + 2 x CDJ900's in HID mode + DJM700 + Xone K2 = a lot of fun.
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by minimal_damage View Post

passed on the F1...finding that i probably wouldn't be using the remix/sample decks anyway...wondering why NI have locked out other hardware controllers from these features though. their whole bread and butter is the traktor software to begin with. i have a suspicion that sooner or later, the folks NI wil unlock these featurs. Banking on this, i got an A&H xone K2 instead... Traktor 2.5 + 2 x CDJ900's in HID mode + DJM700 + Xone K2 = a lot of fun.

The remix decks don't use MIDI so I don't think it's just a case of "unlocking" them.

Plenty of people have hacked it so other controllers can manipulate the remix decks though. Check out DJTechTools.

baax +

Times thanked
< 624
Help for a Traktor noob please.

I'll want to control 3 or 4 decks in Traktor and use something like a Xone K2 to do it, I want it to be portable and easy to set up and not take up a lot of room.
How do I go about using a K2 with a normal 3 or 4 channel mixer?
Should I be looking at another controller?
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
minimal_damage +

Times thanked
< 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by baax View Post

I'll want to control 3 or 4 decks in Traktor and use something like a Xone K2 to do it, I want it to be portable and easy to set up and not take up a lot of room.

The K2 has its own on-board sound card, and it can also be used as a stand-alone 4-deck controller without a mixer. In this regard, it is probably the most portable option you can have. In fact, I've rocked up to house parties armed with nothing more than my laptop, my K2, headphones, and some logitech computer speakers. If you go with this option you don't actually need a mixer. However, with 4 deck control, you may need to use the latch-layering features of the K2 to get the full benefit of trakor - which can be a little tricky to set up if you are new to midi mapping in traktor (although you can download pre-mapped tsi files from DJTechTools and/or TraktorBible). Also, using layering while mixing can be a little cumbersome (and error prone if you are not on the ball in your mix). In all honesty, IMO the K2 is probably not something for the newest of the noobs - don't get me wrong, its one of the most versatile controllers out there and me being the geek that I am, I love tinkering and investing the time in custom mapping the K2 for my specific needs and I love my K2 because it engages my inner geek. it brings together my love for music and my love for plain geeky tech stuff. bliss for me, but not for everyone.

Quote:

How do I go about using a K2 with a normal 3 or 4 channel mixer?

If you must use a "normal" 3 or 4 channel mixer (i.e. one without an in-built sound card), you will need an external sound card that will allow you to route each of Traktor's channels to a corresponding channel on your mixer (an Audio10 for example). In this settup, the K2 would only be used to control the decks - however, you would still need to create your own mapping or find one that meets your needs (in the form of a tsi file fromDJTechTools and/or TraktorBible or some other site)

Quote:

Should I be looking at another controller?

Maybe. Unless you are willing to invest the time into mapping your K2 controller to traktor - or - invest the time to find a K2 mapping that meets your needs, don't put all your eggs into the K2 bucket, particularly if you are a beginner. Unless you are a tech geek like me, the last thing you want to do if you are a beginner is to get overwhelmed by tech. Kinda kills the joy in mixing and takes you away from the essence of what it is you are trying to do in the first place - which is mix tunes and enjoy doing this. You may want to test the water with simpler 4-deck all-in-one controllers. I loved the Reloop Digital Jockey Interface Edition (this was my first controller) and I had a lot of fun with it. There is a plethora of other controllers out there that can also meet your needs. Denon makes some good kit and Traktor S4 rocks. For four deck control, you might also consider 2 Kontrol X1's with a sound card. For extreme portability in a 4channel controller - check out Faderfox (a little pricey, but sexy and portable as hell). You may want to consider budget as well. A stand-alone controller with an integrated sound-card can be a lot cheaper (and more portable) than splashing out on a mixer, a 4-channel sound-card and a separate controller.
baax +

Times thanked
< 624
Cheers for that extensive reply mate!

I'm a Traktor but not a dj noob.
I already have an old 3 channel Numark that is doing the job for the time being, I also have a Denon 2 decks in one player (DNSH 5500) that can control Traktor, although I havent tried it yet, so I figure I'll just get a K2 or something similar to control the 3rd deck.

I already have a Focusrite soundcard which is pretty flexible.

If I'm playing house at a gig I just use my Denon and a thumb drive but for techno I want that 3rd track, but I'll still want to use an external mixer.

Gigs aren't that frequent for me these days but I still want something fairly easy to transport/setup so it looks like I'll have to go with either lugging a laptop, my Denon and a K2 or a laptop 2xK2's and a soundcard.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD

« Previous Thread Next Thread »