Current Affairs and Politics

The "Craig Thomson, you idiot" thread

Tools
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172
Royal commission is a waste of taxpayers money. The union should be deregistered and start anew with new corporate governance in place and new management. Craig Thompson should be forced to resign by Julia Gillard and the rest of us can get on with life
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 2,030
as he's an independent wouldn't it be fair to say that the PM cannot force him to resign?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106
Believe it or not buffed, it is beyond the power of the prime minister to force elected parliamentarians to resign...its not a dictatorship here mate...if she could force thomson out why wouldnt she force out Abbott and Pyne?
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375

...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 2,030
under the constitution what are the rules? I am aware a majority can force a parliamentarian to be suspended, but are there any laws that can force someone out completely?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

That whole union is corrupt, if not legally, then morally....thompson, jackson, williamson all of them. Julia Gillard should have requested his resignation a long time ago, the fact this sordid affair is still going is ridiculous

If you want to talk about immorality talk about the management of Hastie.
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
< 1,726
The reason I think we will need a Royal Commission is that's it's looking like there's a strong possibility that Lawler is involved to some extent in the HSU affairs (sending threatening emails to factional opponents of Kathy Jackson, letting Jackson use FWA computers while she was under investigation by the FWA etc.) so given it looks like she has been hiding her own impropriety it calls the entire FWA report into question.

After all, she was the person that personally delivered all of the documents to the FWA that they used in their investigation* and Nassios repeatedly says during the FWA report that he gave her evidence and testimony extra weight in his report because he figured she was more likely to be honest given she was the initial complainant. The FWA report only found her to be guilty of missing a few board meetings that she shouldn't have as a board member, yet clearly she is up to her neck in the corruption there and Lawler is also suspect.

As a Federal Judge as I understand it (I could be wrong here), Lawler can only be investigated by a judicial inquiry or royal commission as pretty much all other investigatory bodies aren't going to be able to compel him to give testimony. I mean he told a senate inquiry he couldn't be fucked turning up to see them because he was on holiday then went and had lunch with Pyne in a Canberra cafe while the inquiry was running.

A judicial inquiry isn't going to be able to properly investigate anyone else involved in the FWA or HSU as it's scope is going to be extremely limited so lets just bite the bullet and start a Royal Commission with the power to compel anyone including judges and politicians to give testimony and make its scope to investigate the HSU's management from the date Thomson joined to the present day and also give it the power to look into the FWA's investigation and investigate if there has been outside political influence on the FWA's investigation.

If the Libs supporters are right and Labor pollies have influenced the FWA to act slowly to shield Thomson then Labor heads will roll. If Pyne's lunch the other day with Lawler and Jackson is actually a sign that the Libs were involved Liberal heads will roll. If both of them are involved in massively wasting tax payer money for political footballs hopefully we can fuck the whole lot of them out of Parliament. Problem solved.

* Nearly every time Nassios sent a request for documentation to her she didn't get them on time / failed to get all the pertinent documents / gave documents with missing pages etc. - yet many of the documents she said she was unable to find Thomson, Ord and other officers of the HSU - including Jackson - have provided sworn testimony were actually kept during Thomson's tenure at the HSU. And there are other documents she did provide that had references in them to some of the documents she didn't. All in all pretty suss.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,640
^ All those who are clean should welcome a RC. The HSU sounds like a fucking nightmare, and the FWA taking 3 years to investigate this is ridiculous, and they came up with a report that doesn't seem to have any value for a judicial investigation.

And, as you say, if it takes down a few meddling pollies all the better.
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 512

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

so ACA has apparently given the interview footage to Victorian Police for their investigation

Which would make sense if it was a criminal offence to sleep with prostitutes, which it isn't.
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

If you want to talk about immorality talk about the management of Hastie.

what the fuck are you talking about? what does hastie have to do with the Thompson affair? Create a new thread, but the blatant trolling is tiresome. What is it exactly that you are trying to defend here with a ridiculous statement like that?
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowkeyandnude View Post

Believe it or not buffed, it is beyond the power of the prime minister to force elected parliamentarians to resign...its not a dictatorship here mate...if she could force thomson out why wouldnt she force out Abbott and Pyne?

Thompson is a labor man through and through........Gillard and the party i'm sure could pressure him to resign for the good of the party and the good of the country. He resigned from the ALP after discussing it with Gillard, but that didn't go far enough. He now needs to resign from parliament
BumblingBee +

is a dick

Times thanked
< 2,908
he doesn't need to do anything really, until he is charged and found guilty (if that ever happens)

your wants and his needs are two entirely different things
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumblingBee View Post

he doesn't need to do anything really, until he is charged and found guilty (if that ever happens)

your wants and his needs are two entirely different things

He may never be charged because it's a civil matter.

If you are prepared to excuse Thompson's behaviour, then that probably talks to your own character. I think he's a grub, and so is kathy jackson and so is michael williamson
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,640

Quote:

He may never be charged because it's a civil matter.

If you are prepared to excuse Thompson's behaviour, then that probably talks to your own character. I think he's a grub, and so is kathy jackson and so is michael williamson

I didn't see you calling Howard and Reith grubs and demanding their resignation when they disseminated one of the most morally repugnant accusations I've heard from a PM about boat-bound asylum seekers trying to drown their own children in an attempt to emotionally blackmail entry into this country. They have never apologised, even after it was shown to be demonstrably fabricated.

You always dodge this question though innit.

If what Thomson has allegedly done is true, then you are right, he is a grub and should resign. But even if it is true I consider what Howard and Reith did to be some next level of grubby awfulness compared to Thomson.

You never once had the same level of opprobrium you now direct at Thomson.

If you argue it is irrelevant you expose a deeply hypocritical flaw in your argument imo: Howard was the Prime Minister at the time of his actions.
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post

I didn't see you calling Howard and Reith grubs and demanding their resignation when they disseminated one of the most morally repugnant accusations I've heard from a PM about boat-bound asylum seekers trying to drown their own children in an attempt to emotionally blackmail entry into this country. They have never apologised, even after it was shown to be demonstrably fabricated.

You always dodge this question though innit.

If what Thomson has allegedly done is true, then you are right, he is a grub and should resign. But even if it is true I consider what Howard and Reith did to be some next level of grubby awfulness compared to Thomson.

You never once had the same level of opprobrium you now direct at Thomson.

If you argue it is irrelevant you expose a deeply hypocritical flaw in your argument imo: Howard was the Prime Minister at the time of his actions.

If yor assertion is that Howard is a liar, then yeah so what. Every politician who has ever breathed is a liar, including the current prime minister Julia Gillard and the opposition leader tony abbott. as i've said on numerous occasions, i can't stand any politician.......i think they are all rubbish.

Having said that, none of those aforementioned were involved in misusing and misapproriating funds which belong to union members. For that, Thompson needs to go. simple as that.
dAvoZ +

Registered Boozer

Times thanked
< 30
the longer the government lets this mess drag on, the more damaged the union movement becomes.
we all knew unions were the toy thing of labor heavyweights, and this proves it.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,640

Quote:

If yor assertion is that Howard is a liar, then yeah so what. Every politician who has ever breathed is a liar, including the current prime minister Julia Gillard and the opposition leader tony abbott. as i've said on numerous occasions, i can't stand any politician.......i think they are all rubbish.

Having said that, none of those aforementioned were involved in misusing and misapproriating funds which belong to union members. For that, Thompson needs to go. simple as that.

I know pollies lie.

This was the Prime Minister and the Defence Minister falsely (i.e. knowing the opposite to be true) accusing people of attempted murder.

Howard was the king of core and non-core promises which was his euphemism for lying. They all do it, no doubt. Accusing people of the attempted murder of their own children when there is proof to the contrary, while holding office, is surely just as a dissmissable offence as an MP misusing union funds before entering office.
moojins +

Times thanked
< 225

Quote:

It needs to be proved first.
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
Surely covering up the paying of bribes to a nation we currently legally held sanctions towards (and in fact were obligated to maintain sanctions towards under our international treaty obligations to the UN) which - lets not beat around the bush here - was effectively treason, then intentionally making sure all investigations had terms of reference that excluded anyone responsible who was likely to get charged for the crime from the inquiries terms of reference, is a little more morally bankrupt than someone spending a few grand on some hookers using their company CC?

Straight up every one of the fuckers involved in letting the AWB pay bribes to Suddam risked having Australia having sanctions being placed on us in turn and the cover up was the most gutless point in Australia's political history. Every **** involved in that cover up should be doing life but yeah yet to ever see a single Coalition supporter even acknowledge that they even think it was wrong.
Chach +

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Times thanked
< 165

Quote:

I know pollies lie.

This was the Prime Minister and the Defence Minister falsely (i.e. knowing the opposite to be true) accusing people of attempted murder.

Howard was the king of core and non-core promises which was his euphemism for lying. They all do it, no doubt. Accusing people of the attempted murder of their own children when there is proof to the contrary, while holding office, is surely just as a dissmissable offence as an MP misusing union funds before entering office.

AFAIK, had it been anyone else who had knowingly mislead the parliament, he would have been forced to ask for their resignation, but we have no mechanism for when its the PM.
What we were they are now, what we are now they will be

Coming up for The Likes of You

Derrick May April
Ben Sims
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by moojins View Post

It needs to be proved first.

He has already admitted to it, the only thing he hasn't admitted to was the hookers, which was only a few thousand dollars. The other $200k plus he has admitted to
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

I know pollies lie.

again, i'm still not sure what this has to do with craig thompson. All politicians lie, but not all politicians misuse funds for their own gain.

I'm really not sure why you are going out of your way to defend or justify craig thompson's actions, unless you see no problem with what he did, in which case, your own character is flawed
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,324

Quote:

again, i'm still not sure what this has to do with craig thompson. All politicians lie, but not all politicians misuse funds for their own gain.

I'm really not sure why you are going out of your way to defend or justify craig thompson's actions, unless you see no problem with what he did, in which case, your own character is flawed

Allegedly - that is the problem. The presumption is innocence is a fundamental tenet of our legal system and until he is proven guilty there is nothing that can or should be done. It doesn't matter what your gut feel is or what 'should' be done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,640

Quote:

I'm not defending Thomson's alleged actions I'm defending his right to the presumption of innocense until proven guilty.

My point is, you're saying he should resign while there is no charge against him, and no proof of guilt of that charge, yet the Prime Minister, Howard, accused people of attempting to kill their kids knowing it to be false, having it proved to be false, yet you never lead the charge saying he should resign.
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
Well after Andrew Crook from Crikey had a shot at the Independent Australia for their on-running stories about Kathy Jackson and Michael Lawler which was fairly dismissive of their journalism today we have this story in the SMH.

The end is interesting.

Quote:

Meanwhile, Mr Thomson's supporters in the union's internal battle are keen to turn the spotlight on the supposed whistleblower, Kathy Jackson.

In February, the Herald reported an email alleging Ms Jackson had laundered money through a colleague's bank account, which Ms Jackson emphatically denied.

Six weeks later, expenditure by Ms Jackson was referred to Victoria Police by the union's acting general secretary, Peter Mylan.

Documentation on those transactions have been leaked in recent days but the police had declined to investigate, telling Ms Jackson there had ''not been a complaint of criminal behaviour''.

The transactions related to the HSU's Victoria Three branch, which Ms Jackson headed before it merged with other branches to form the powerful HSU East branch.

So what does everyone think? Are Fairfax just getting ready to claim credit in case a story breaks on Jackson or are they pushing away from their previous stance of outright condemnation of Thomson is case they have to execute the countries biggest backpedal of all time?

Also what's up with Crikey? Actually concerned about quality of journalism at IndependentAustralia ( Wicks didn't do himself any favours publishing there, most of their stories are fucking atrocious) or just trying to side themselves with the MSM so the rest of the media will start taking them seriously?

Could be an interesting week.
moojins +

Times thanked
< 225
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...606-1zwed.html

What a twist.

I'm not sure how the prostitute got that far into negotiations and actually gave the interview without realising the line that ACA were selling, maybe she was just looking to make a cool 60k.
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573

Quote:

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...606-1zwed.html

What a twist.

I'm not sure how the prostitute got that far into negotiations and actually gave the interview without realising the line that ACA were selling, maybe she was just looking to make a cool 60k.

The whole thing is getting more ridiculous by the minute. You'd have thought that a current affair would have checked this sort of stuff, you know, such as whether the person was actually even in the country at the time.

And to presume that a prostitute would remember a client from 7 years ago, not like Thomson has any significant features. She didn't go "oh yes the dwarf with one leg and discoloured purple skin, I remember him!"

She didn't take the money so it can't be a get rich quick thing. God knows why she changed her mind or why a current affair still broadcast the interview.

Everyone is going to come out of this mess looking fucking stupid, it's rather embarrassing.
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
lols @ Fairfax headline saying she is "unsure" if she slept with him when she says quite clearly that there is no way she could have as she was in New Zealand at the time and has the passport stamps to prove it.

Fuck journalists are scum.
Chad +

Times thanked
< 48
Lol at old Griggsy continuing to stick up for Labor's misfits.

By the way how is Romney looking these days? The guy you derided as a joke. If he can find a way to win Virginia (or even Wisconsin after today) it's bye bye Barack.
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad View Post

By the way how is Romney looking these days? The guy you derided as a joke. If he can find a way to win Virginia (or even Wisconsin after today) it's bye bye Barack.

How is pointing out the massive lie in a headline "sticking up for Labor's misfits" ?

Headlines are such bollocks. The DM ran one on Tuesday saying "16 year old girl dies after her drink is spiked with ecstasy", wasn't until paragraph 4 that it transpires that her mates are claiming that was the reason but the police haven't determined a cause of death.

Romney/Obama? Wrong thread dude.
BumblingBee +

is a dick

Times thanked
< 2,908

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griggle View Post

Fuck journalists are scum.

finally something we can all agree on
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumblingBee View Post

finally something we can all agree on

Actually it's more likely the sub-editors and editors are scum.

Most journos (or the ones I've met) like writing exciting pieces but do tend to want to get things right. Then the sub-ed decides that whilst balanced pieces are all well and good, it doesn't fit with the political viewpoint of the newspaper so they take out all the "maybes" "ifs" and "buts".

There was a thing about 6 months ago or so where a journo ripped into his editor on twitter for changing his balanced piece on Syria (I think it was Syria) into this one-sided attack.

There are journos out there with little/no morals (mostly they seem to work for today tonight or a current affair) but a lot actually feel they have a duty to report "the truth" to the public, it's just that it gets changed along the way to suit the desires/beliefs of the people in charge.
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubz View Post

Actually it's more likely the sub-editors and editors are scum.

Most journos (or the ones I've met) like writing exciting pieces but do tend to want to get things right. Then the sub-ed decides that whilst balanced pieces are all well and good, it doesn't fit with the political viewpoint of the newspaper so they take out all the "maybes" "ifs" and "buts".

There was a thing about 6 months ago or so where a journo ripped into his editor on twitter for changing his balanced piece on Syria (I think it was Syria) into this one-sided attack.

There are journos out there with little/no morals (mostly they seem to work for today tonight or a current affair) but a lot actually feel they have a duty to report "the truth" to the public, it's just that it gets changed along the way to suit the desires/beliefs of the people in charge.

One of the key problems is the online media are using young, inexperienced journalists working on an incredibly tight news cycle. The peverse result is you can get better researched information from independent blogs written by people who are not necessarily journalists.
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Well I think she gives the answer. I think she was seduced by the $60k, understandably, and then saw Thomson's speech and realised that there are real people behind all of this and also that it's risky business to lie about public figures.
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

One of the key problems is the online media are using young, inexperienced journalists working on an incredibly tight news cycle. The peverse result is you can get better researched information from independent blogs written by people who are not necessarily journalists.

Are bloggers journos? discuss. Lol.

And yes, you can usually get much better info off the blogs who aren't slaves to the 24 hour news cycle.

The amount of stories on websites like the SMH or DT that have "originally posted on...." or "from Reuters/Associated Press".

Then you see the same story on another website a few hours later/earlier. It's copying and pasting basically.
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad View Post

Last time I checked Kathy Jackson headed a union so is a Labor misfit too. As I've said several times I'm sure Thomson is going to be found guilty of at least some of what he is accused. What I object too is the media refusing to actually look into any of the other people involved for purely political reasons.

Mitt's still a muppet. Go dry your tears elsewhere.
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
< 3,174

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAvoZ View Post

the longer the government lets this mess drag on, the more damaged the union movement becomes.
we all knew unions were the toy thing of labor heavyweights, and this proves it.

Yep unions are useless. Let us rely on the kindness of oligarchs to further the nations workers rights.

Last edited by horst: 07-Jun-12 at 03:37pm

Reason: let's not fan a flame war

CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,988
http://www.vexnews.com/2012/06/gotch...kathy-jackson/

there seems to be a new article per day cutting down Jackson, but only on lolwebsites like Independent Australia and Vexnews

why is the mainstream media not reporting on this, or only giving it passing mention? is it because the stories have little factual basis? or that they don't like being beaten to a scoop?

I heard some gronk on 2GB say earlier today that he thinks the public is getting sick of the story, which probably means he wants to stop discussing it before it turns pear shaped.
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
< 3,174
edit: Didn't read the link.
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
Kathy Jackson just sacked her lawyers and then demanded the judge presiding over her attempt to stop administrators taking over the HSU recuse himself on grounds she thinks he is being procedurally unfair to her. Then she had a whinge about him being friends with Shorten.

I think she has actually gone off her trolley.
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 512

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griggle View Post

I think she has actually gone off her trolley.

She hasn't looked well for a while, and she has been in involuntary psychiatric care before:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226270776249

Michael Moore is a very straight shooter and an excellent choice to come in as administrator. The real risk for the Government has got to be that Moore will decide that it is appropriate to pursue Thomson for repayment of any monies which Thomson has misapplied (if any - the best part of Thomson's defence thus far has been "If I took any money to which I was not entitled, the Union would have pursued me to recover it; the fact that they haven't means that I haven't taken any money"). If a claim is made and Thomson can't pay, he could be bankrupted and thus out of Parliament - although with that said, it should be possible to fend off any claim until after the next election.
EeeeeeeJ +

Times thanked
< 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

why is the mainstream media not reporting on this, or only giving it passing mention? is it because the stories have little factual basis? or that they don't like being beaten to a scoop?

A few months ago, this was a story about a Labor Party politician embezzling money from a trade union representing hard-working nurses. Jackson was the heroic Victorian union leader who would make sure that this New South Wales politician hadn't ripped the union off and she was being victimised for it.

Now it's just a story about a trade union that misappropriates its hard-working members' funds. There's a Labor Party politician involved and he has this far-fetched story about senior trade-union members conspiring against him but more scandalous allegations against union members makes his story less implausible.
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by EeeeeeeJ View Post

A few months ago, this was a story about a Labor Party politician embezzling money from a trade union representing hard-working nurses. Jackson was the heroic Victorian union leader who would make sure that this New South Wales politician hadn't ripped the union off and she was being victimised for it.

Now it's just a story about a trade union that misappropriates its hard-working members' funds. There's a Labor Party politician involved and he has this far-fetched story about senior trade-union members conspiring against him but more scandalous allegations against union members makes his story less implausible.

It never seemed all that far fetched to me. They should have chosen the polonium option instead.
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
So entire HSU executive sacked.

Administrators called in.

Jackson still in denial.

And Mary Joe Fisher quits the senate after getting charged with shoplifting again last Saturday.

Wouldn't want to be in Abbot's shoes right now. He's nearly lost all of the credit he'd managed to accumulate thanks to Craig Thomson by tying himself and the party with Jackson and the wheels seem to be coming off.
BumblingBee +

is a dick

Times thanked
< 2,908
indeed, i'd even go as far as saying it's turned his world upside down

CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,988
move along, this is no longer an issue [ever since things are not turning out how Abbott/Jackson thought they would]

also re: Abbott

- Sings God Save the Queen

- Performs acrobatic manouvres in front of foreign flags

treason IMO
He is a cool guy...
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,988
apparently Michael Williamson has walked into Maroubra Police Station to be charged
He is a cool guy...
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,178
wow
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 512
Yeah, we may need to rename this the "Michael Williamson, you idiot" thread:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/forme...004-270fo.html

It's a mess (allegedly) - or if it ain't, it will do 'til the mess ges here (allegedly).
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
lols @ mainstream media only managing to find out this was happening 12 hours after Wixxy reported it was going to happen.

Kate McClymont must be sweating about her next performance review.

Additional lols at her saying

Quote:

Originally Posted by probably the worst investigative journalist in the country that doesn't work for ACA or TT

It was also reported that he and federal MP Craig Thomson, the union's former national secretary, allegedly received a secret commission in the way of an American Express card from a major supplier to the union.

Yeah it was reported. Reported by her..... there's a credible source. Don't have actual evidence of something? Just quote yourself saying that you have evidence of something.
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,988
has Kathy Jackson been out and about saying 'I told you so'

or is she laying low because she's next
He is a cool guy...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »