The Music Studio

Headphone recomendations

Tools
Benoypix +

Times thanked
< 0
Headphone recomendations
Im looking for good headphones (i dont care about looks i care about quality) eg. Features Like Noice canceling, im looking between the 250-300 dollar range, can someone please recommend me a good pair?
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/A8291/ $199
Tech-One
dyLABs +

Times thanked
< 22
beyer dynamics dt770 or 990
Melbourne Acid - Acidboxblues
Beatport
Facebook
chickenbum +

Times thanked
< 28
yep BD DT770s ... fantastic, and they will keep your ears warm in winter
Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
< 17
even tho i own akg k702s (which have best fit ever) you would probs be better off with DT770s because price and performance wise they are great deal
http://soundcloud.com/ezzcal/ezzcal-dub-04-free-project-file-4-u
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 119

When did they get so cheap???

I'm ordering some right now.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,285
I'm guessing when Adidas threw money at Senny and they amped up the production big time.

$199 is such a freaking bargain for those!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
Ya, i got mine at storedj for $250 over a year ago...

They are so solid, sound is awesome, and a surpising amount of isolation when worn right!
Tech-One
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 119
JB are still charging $399 for the Adidas HD25s...

Might go screw them over and get them to price match.

I can vaguely recall seeing them in Harvey Norman for over $400 too.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
opiate +

Times thanked
< 43
HD650's FTW.
"The funk is a creature...like a giant medicine ball covered in nipples...

It fell from space onto Bootsy Collins' farm and that's how he got The Funk"

http://soundcloud.com/revampd/
meldavid +

I used to be a raver like you, but then I took a kick to the knee.

Times thanked
< 631

Quote:

Originally Posted by opiate View Post

HD650's FTW.

Op wanted features like noise canceling, and the 250-300 dollar range.

HD600 series is beyond the budget and will not isolate from noise.
ChiasticSlide +

is this thing on?

Times thanked
< 40
Beyerdynamic DT250s fall into the OP's price range if ordered from the US. Would be well worth a look if you're mostly interested in headphones for studio monitoring.
"It's got to be in the bedroom basically. You get to do tracks in the nude and if you're working in the studio, you just can't do that. It's not really practical." -- Aphex Twin on making music
double07 +

Times thanked
< 0
I have the Sennheiser PXC 450's (noise cancelling) and use them for writing some tunes and also when travelling (fold flat for easy storage). They're actually reasonably honest for headphones not intended for the studio i.e. aren't really that bass/treble heavy. There's a noise cancelling bypass mode for when you don't need it which also improves the sound quality. They have a nice ergonomic shape and are comfortable when wearing them for hours on end. They also have a neat talk through button you press which lets in external noise (amplified) until you press it again so you don't have to take them off when talking to people.

I got them for about AUD$270 from B&H Photo in NYC when I was there a couple of years ago, not sure what they're going for now though.
myszka1266 +

Times thanked
< 0
i use Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro. i find them to be great at noise canceling and are quite responsive with bass. try looking online for cheap prices as well
Tom Day +

Times thanked
< 99
Just picked up a pair of DT 990s for $285 from here. So comfy

http://www.soundcorp.com.au/beyerdyn...dt990-pro.html

(sorry, they're not noise cancelling but still an awesome pair of headphones)
www.soundcloud.com/tomday
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
< 1,905
Has anyone stopped to establish the purpose of these headphones? Producing? Dj'ing? Enjoyment?
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Day View Post

Just picked up a pair of DT 990s for $285 from here. So comfy

http://www.soundcorp.com.au/beyerdyn...dt990-pro.html

(sorry, they're not noise cancelling but still an awesome pair of headphones)

Ok.... so... under normal producing volume....

How loud are these to other people in the room?

Louder than those idiots who use those horrible huge beats by dre headphones?
Tech-One
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146
^^^ They're essentially as loud on the outside as they are on the inside, that is, the noise a set of headphone might emit out in the open while not on someone's head is pretty much how loud these things continue to be while on someone's head. Likewise, the attenuation of the environment's sounds while wearing them is next to nothing, just a muffling of the high end really.
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
< 83
Whether you'll use them for DJing or producing is fairly important. For producing, you want a 'flat' sound, with no added bass etc or it will mess up your production - it's also worth hearing any tracks you're working on played through some cheap headphones as well to hear the difference.

But for DJing, get some with a powerfull bass - makes things easier in a club environment!
Dragon Dreaming Festival - 25-27 October @ Canberra - Prog/Psytrance

Soliton Drop Festival - 10-12 January @ NSW - Prog/Psytrance

Hard NV - 1 February - @NV Nightclub, Canberra - Hard Techno

Brotherhood - 8 February @Canberra Warehouse - Techno/Trance

Kazuki.com.au
Dr Fegg +

Times thanked
< 5
Interestingly no-one recommends HDJ2000s...? I agree on the HD25 sound quality and isolation "if worn right" but I find the cans are just too small, and for DJing when you sometimes wanna just throw them on quick give me big earmuffs every time. I haven't used either in a club though so am interested in other opinions on HDJ2000 sound quality and isolation...?
Dr Fegg +

Times thanked
< 5
Interestingly no-one recommends HDJ2000s...? I've only auditioned them in a shop but thought they sounded brilliant...
I agree on the HD25 sound quality and isolation "if worn right" but I find the cans are just too small, and for DJing when you sometimes wanna just throw them on quick give me big earmuffs every time. I haven't used either in a club though so am interested in other opinions on HDJ2000 sound quality and isolation...?
hpstekno +

Times thanked
< 14
coz hdj2000 are pioneer and as such should be avoided like the plague .. much like monster audio gear
but seriously i had hdj1000's for years they were like djm mixers sounded ok at low levels but get them at volume and they square wave horribly they were uncomfortable as hell and broke easily. i refuse to touch pioneer gear again .. if i'm spending at that level for dj cans AT pro700mk2's by a country mile..
hopselectroniks@myspace
MY JJJunearthed page
stevejessy +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoypix View Post

Im looking for good headphones (i dont care about looks i care about quality) eg. Features Like Noice canceling, im looking between the 250-300 dollar range, can someone please recommend me a good pair?

As for other recommendations, you said you'd prefer open cans, but you'll be using them with your phone. Are you going to want to use them as portable headphones or solely for home listening?
Teapot Creative
mjr84 +

Times thanked
< 3
HD 25's will never let you down.
TECHiONE +

Times thanked
< 75
So, I've been using Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones for music production at home for years, left over from my DJing days.

Thinking it's time to get something better. I see these recommended here and around the net regularly. My partner is off to Germany shortly, so thinking I might ask her to bring me back a set.

BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm)

How will they compare? Will I notice a large drop in volume level? I run my headphones from an NI Audio 8 DJ interface.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm)
Impedance: 80 ohms
Nominal sound pressure level: 96 dB

Sony MDR-V700DJ
Impedance: 24 Ohm
Sensitivity: 107 dB
camlv +

Yeah nah

Times thanked
< 513
I have a Audio Kontrol 1 and I never get close to max volume with 300 Ohm headphones. I'm guessing the Kontrol 1 and Audio 8 DJ would be the same
http://soundcloud.com/talismusic
pr1nce +

Times thanked
< 44
I don't know how anyone can go past HD25s, they're popular for a reason.

This is from the Sales, Specials & Deals Thread: https://www.storedj.com.au/products/SEN-HD25

HD25s for $217, free shipping.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
< 3,946

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr1nce View Post

I don't know how anyone can go past HD25s, they're popular for a reason.

They're not appropriate for accurate production mixing.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
pr1nce +

Times thanked
< 44
Is the OP looking for headphones that are appropriate for accurate production mixing?
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
< 3,946
No explicitly ... But this is the production subforum, not the DJ or casual listening subforum
TECHiONE +

Times thanked
< 75
So I had a listen to a set of BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm) headphones, and they didn't impress me, certainly have a flat sound which would be useful for music production, but my main complaint was with being 80 Ohms, you need a proper amp to drive them or you just can't get them loud enough. I was also surprised at how much outside sound I could still hear even though they are closed headphones and completely cover your ears.

Anyone have Sennheiser HD380 Pro, they're next on my list to try...
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
You had problems with 80 ohms... far out. Thats the lowest model they have, they should be LOUD!

You should only have problems with the 250 or 600 ohms without an amp.
Tech-One
SilverStreak +

'Loco'-'Motive'...

Times thanked
< 0
oly shite my logon still works....

Lookin at some AKG 181's atm. Anyone driven these yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dribbler

I'm glad these forums are overpopulated, even if with many potheads, they provide serious bussiness ideas. The ones with the marijuana growing and child kidnapping ideas were the best, even if they were seriously off-topic. Thanx guys!

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by TECHiONE View Post

So, I've been using Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones for music production at home for years, left over from my DJing days.

How will they compare? Will I notice a large drop in volume level? I run my headphones from an NI Audio 8 DJ interface.

Sony MDR-V700DJ

Hey mate,

I see you've already had a listen yourself to the 770s now, just wanted to chime in my thoughts.

I too had a pair of MDR-V700DJs since around 2003.

Haven't listened to the 770s (closed-back) myself, however, purchased the 990s (open back) around 3 years ago.

Impressions:

- Sure, the Sonys are louder (more sensitive) for a given input volume.

- However, when comparing Ohms, it's a logarithmic scale. That is, assuming all else equal, half the Ohms and the volume only increases around 3dBa, then need to halve it again to scrape together another 3dBa or so. So ignoring individual driver sensitivity for now, the difference between 24Ohms and 80Ohms is actually only around 5 to 7dBa, which is shit all.

- Compare 80 Ohm and 250 Ohm, again only 5dBa in volume difference, or a slight nudge of the volume scale.

- And unless one's at maximum on the volume pot, there's gonna be room to move to restore this missing 5dBa on a higher Ohm model, and the headphone amplifier (whether in-built on the soundcard, the iPhone, or dedicated headphone amplifier box) will be running less hard/heat/distortion, versus a low Ohm model (which like low Ohm loud speakers, is simply shorting the amplifier to force it to pump more juice into the drivers).

- As for sound comparisons between the Sony and Beyerdynamics, initially the sound was similar, the Sony's appearing to present a more 'upfront' sound... the Beyers a little laid back... then I began listening more critically and it became apparent that the Sonys were actually compressing the sound, quite significantly, like big maximising limiter. So while the Sony's appeared louder and in one's face, it was actually starving the music of dynamics. Whereas the Beyers may need to be turned up a little more to match apparent volume, the dynamics were extended, more real.

- For production or general listening for pleasure, the Beyer 990s is the absolute better choice, IMO.

- For DJing, well in a club environment, the 990s are simply not suited, being open-backed, the environmental noise is heard near identically whether the headphones are over the ears, or not. How about compared to the sealed backs of the 770s? Good question, and no idea. I'm tempted to get a set for monitoring in noisy environments and/or on stage. But for DJing, the Sonys (or whatever is the comparable product today), may have the edge as the limiting effect makes them LOUD (though perhaps annoying for extended listening, not unlike LOUD commercial breaks on the TV).

Of course, everyone else's mileage may vary.
hpstekno +

Times thanked
< 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by TECHiONE View Post

Thinking it's time to get something better. I see these recommended here and around the net regularly. My partner is off to Germany shortly, so thinking I might ask her to bring me back a set.

BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm)

Sony MDR-V700DJ

Dave if you want them for studio use the get the 990's or 250's the 770's are closed back and wont be as honest, 770's are for tracking ..

edit pays to read the entire thread ^^^^ what he said
hopselectroniks@myspace
MY JJJunearthed page

« Previous Thread Next Thread »