Food, Photography and Travel

The Food Truck Thread. (Wheresmyburrito)

Page 2 of 2
  Tools
grapsta +

8 pinballs at the courthouse...yeeeeah

Times thanked
< 28
after googling the difference between yiros,souvlaki,kebab and shiwarma I guess the lamb one was a souvlaki perhaps. damn good.....then of course there's Savion and Sabbaba for awesome Israeli styles
Tunes for the bus volume 2
https://soundcloud.com/grapsta/tunes-for-the-bus-vol-2
amy winehouse vs big youth / silverstones vs g.corp & big youth/ lord echo /salmonella dub /K-tel harvery /richie phoe/ sola rosa / donny hathaway - ( beatsy collins rmx)
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
It's because of the different styles that predominate in each city. Sydney is mostly Turkish/Lebanese places with meat cooked on gas-powered vertical spits, Melbourne/Adelaide you get more Greek style places with lamb cooked on a horizontal spit over charcoal.
MadMike +

Times thanked
< 4,127
Drove into the city last night to catch Cantina Mobil at Queens Square (northern tip of Hyde Park).

Tried the beef burrito (delicious!), chilli corn, soft chicken taco (YES!), chilli chocolate ice cream, and non-alcoholic sangria (MORE OF THIS).

Pretty yummy stuff. Serving sizes weren't huge but would eat again.

ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 1,018
fatimas lamb kebabs are unbelievable.
nah mate
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMike View Post

Drove into the city last night to catch Cantina Mobil at Queens Square (northern tip of Hyde Park).

Tried the beef burrito (delicious!), chilli corn, soft chicken taco (YES!), chilli chocolate ice cream, and non-alcoholic sangria (MORE OF THIS).

Pretty yummy stuff. Serving sizes weren't huge but would eat again.

I found the hard tacos a touch disappointing, they tasted like they hadn't toasted the shells. The filling was good, though I recon the stuff I made myself the other night matched it.
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 1,018
hard tacos are lame anyways. pretty impressed with cantina mobil.
nah mate
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205

Quote:

Originally Posted by grapsta View Post

i find it hard to believe that all the kebab shops in one city would be so much better than the kebab shops in another city.....how could this be ??? did all the kebab cooks in adelaide / melbourne learn from the same ninja kebab master ??? Surely theres great ones and shit ones in all cities. I've had awesome kebabs all over Sydney just recently had really good ones in Bondi , Marrickville ...and just yesterday found a freakin awesome Lamb kebab cooked on a skewer over charcoal in a little shop in Eastlakes that had amazing chilli sauce and was massive for $9

marinated lamb vs. non specific/identifiable meat... t he sauce seems better down here too.

I'm sure there are good kebab shops in Sydney (I've had some good ones, not drunk) but the general quality of a kebab in Adelaide shits all over the general quality in Sydney.

also, FYI, call it a kebab in Adelaide and prepare for a barrage of insulted shop attendant butthurt. They are very proud in this little town.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
^thats cause a yiros/souvlaki isn't a kebab, different things from different countries.
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
yeah, I get that... but it's the common "meat in soft flat bread" food for the city.

Quote:

grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28
A yiro is most certainly a kebab ...and a souvlaki might as well be.
amy winehouse vs big youth / silverstones vs g.corp & big youth/ lord echo /salmonella dub /K-tel harvery /richie phoe/ sola rosa / donny hathaway - ( beatsy collins rmx)
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488

Quote:

A yiro is most certainly a kebab ...and a souvlaki might as well be.

If you can't taste the difference between the two you're pretty fucking dense.
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
you know what I mean Dave, stop being pedantic.

I certainly never thought "I might go a kebab for friday takeaway" in Sydney, but I've done it a few times here.

Quote:

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
My point though is they are two distinct things, not just regional names for the same shit. Where I was living in Richmond there were both kebab and souvlaki places in the area, and you wouldn't go to one looking for the other.
sonicc +

>O__/ QuACK >O__/ QuACK >O__/ QuACK

Times thanked
< 3,319
You say Kabab he says Kabob. Lets all make up and eat Garlic sauce.
Cats are not actually smaller than horses, they are just further away - ITM PROVERB
grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28
define Garlic sauce.

jus kidding
grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28
"Gyros ( aka Yiros)-pita
Similar to souvlaki pita. The souvlaki is replaced by gyros (kebab usually made of pork or chicken). This is also nicknamed souvlaki in common speech due to its resemblance to the above, and because gyros meat is rotated on a mechanical skewer."

any meat cooked on a skewer in a Greek / Middle Eastern style can be called kebab
sonicc +

>O__/ QuACK >O__/ QuACK >O__/ QuACK

Times thanked
< 3,319
Cats are not actually smaller than horses, they are just further away - ITM PROVERB
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488

Quote:

"Gyros ( aka Yiros)-pita
Similar to souvlaki pita. The souvlaki is replaced by gyros (kebab usually made of pork or chicken). This is also nicknamed souvlaki in common speech due to its resemblance to the above, and because gyros meat is rotated on a mechanical skewer."

any meat cooked on a skewer in a Greek / Middle Eastern style can be called kebab

I'm talking about Australian definitions though- I've never seen pork gyros here. And I'd argue that in Australian food terms kebab and yiros/souvlaki are two distinct things.
grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28
you could be right....my point is their obviously very simliar if not the same so those guys getting uppity about people calling them kebabs are just being twats really
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
There's prolly some inter-wog racism going on there, souvlaki = Greek, kebab = Turkish, and Greeks don't like Turks much.
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 1,018
i could smash a kebab rite now.
nah mate
grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28
yeah Space Monkey I was kinda thinking same thing
krafty_x +

Beelzebub's intercessor

Times thanked
< 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

One thing I do rate here in Adelaide.... kebabs. Fuck me the yiros' down here are fucking amazing. I don't think I can go back to Sydney kebabs now :-/

The only thing that comes close is el jannah.

Four words.

Sarays and Sultans Table.

The best bit about them, for me, is the beautiful elasticity of the dough.

k_x oxo
There is no love sincerer than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) Irish writer.

Check out my blog
www.idevour.wordpress.com
grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28
guess we should have started a kebab thread
DirtyKnees +

Times thanked
< 419

Quote:

define Garlic sauce.

jus kidding

The white shit that comes out of the el jannah kitchen.

Last edited by DirtyKnees: 30-Jun-12 at 05:42pm

Reason: Typo

Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
No, that's a nuclear fusion reaction of garlic.

How it's made so strong and so awesome, I don't know (and probably don't want to)
DirtyKnees +

Times thanked
< 419
I love it, they make it the same at Chucky's down in guildford.
deck +

Fuck the security guards!

Times thanked
< 4,374
Another one to look out for in Melbourne. Cornutopia are usually at the Preston Market during the day but are starting to move around the city a lot more lately.

http://www.facebook.com/cornutopia

Embassy Clothing is a grassroots streetwear label that is dedicated to supporting children and youth organisations in Australia and across the globe, making a commitment to donate a percentage of profits from each sale to organisations in need.
stevejessy +

Times thanked
< 0
The Food Looks Tasty , food truck trend has well and truly hit Australia
Teapot Creative
grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28
tried the Agape food truck today ....nice enough slow cooked beef taco. big bummer that the menu is only half of whats listed on the app though....wanted to try the ceviche and the wings...neither of which were in the truck today.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,442
There's a new one popped up in the Inner West called The Vegie Patch, it's down at Sydney park a lot. GF and I had a zucchini burger and a vegan burger from it the other night, tasty as fuck. Wanted the sweet potato chips, too, but they'd sold out. ****s.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488

Quote:

tried the Agape food truck today ....nice enough slow cooked beef taco. big bummer that the menu is only half of whats listed on the app though....wanted to try the ceviche and the wings...neither of which were in the truck today.

Ceviche is ridiculously easy to make, not something I'd be too worried about buying from a truck.
grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28
yeah I buy lots of food thats easy to make personally.
tried Eat Art Truck last week at Syd FEst ....and Tsuru this week at Syd FEst ....both fantastic . Eat Art TRucks have a great marinade on their wings ..... and Tsuru buns are damn good - the bulgogi bun is even better than the pork belly one.
krafty_x +

Beelzebub's intercessor

Times thanked
< 102
The Urban Pasta food truck pulled up out the front of my work before Christmas and I wish it came more often.

Delicious al dente pasta cooked on the spot for you (instead of having sat around in a bain-marie for half a day) and a great range of sauces to choose from. Not to mention that the two young guys running the truck were nothing short of absolutely delightful people who deserve to succeed.

I recommend.

k_x oxo
There is no love sincerer than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) Irish writer.

Check out my blog
www.idevour.wordpress.com
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,526
https://www.facebook.com/mrburgertruck

This was most excellent!
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
http://splashadelaide.com.au/project...e-road-dinner/

https://www.facebook.com/ForkontheRoadAdelaide

Quote:

Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,526
Just had two chicken and one beef taco from Cornutopia. It was excellent.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hksmmocpl1...2016.46.28.jpg

Last edited by Derelict: 07-Feb-13 at 04:26pm

Velociravetor +

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody do the dinosaur!

Times thanked
< 322
I rate Taco Truck, hangs around a lot in Brunswick!
turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,439

Quote:

How it's made so strong and so awesome, I don't know (and probably don't want to)

It's pretty much just pure garlic that has been emulsified with oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391

Quote:

How it's made so strong and so awesome

cos its fully sick bro thats how.

seriously tho back to kebabs, there are some pretty good kebab shops in sydney-how could you miss them all?
Police kicked down the back door and cornered the man in the bathtub.
"What?" he is alleged to have told police. "I'm having a bath."
However, police will allege the suspect was still wearing shorts.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,327
New food truck coming in Melbourne, Lil Nom Nom's...Vietnamese street food...opening lunch scheduled for Saturday 20th July at Tetris Studios, 36 Phoenix St, Brunswick...$15 for 7 course menu tasting prior to the truck hitting the streets, bar being set up, music, door prizes...pre purchased tickets only, which are selling out fast! info@lilnomnoms.com.au

https://www.facebook.com/lilnomnomstruck

https://www.facebook.com/lilnomnomst...6108401897626/
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
The most successful burger truck is now a store in Adelaide, burger theory...

Our office is above it.

Here's to poor health!
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
Anyone else starting to feel like these are a bit overhyped. Taco truck/beatbox kitchen arent much cheaper or tastier than going to fonda mexico, radio mexico, huxtaburger, mr burger etc to justify driving to the northern suburbs.
Gumbo kitchen is the only truck where there isnt really a fixed alternative however the quality of their food has really dropped, the shrimp is soggy and the bread is shit.
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 126

Quote:

Originally Posted by jutsy View Post

Anyone else starting to feel like these are a bit overhyped. Taco truck/beatbox kitchen arent much cheaper or tastier than going to fonda mexico, radio mexico, huxtaburger, mr burger etc to justify driving to the northern suburbs.
Gumbo kitchen is the only truck where there isnt really a fixed alternative however the quality of their food has really dropped, the shrimp is soggy and the bread is shit.

Yeah Gumbo Kitchen has definitely gone down hill, but they've opened up a store on Smith Street which seems to be slightly better, so there is a fixed alternative. Po Boy Quarter is the name I think

I don't know why anyone would drive to either of those two options, only reason I frequent them is because I live in the Brunswick/Coburg area where half of the food joints are average.

That said some of the BBQ food trucks are awesome.. Smokin Barrys and Diggin For Fire BBQ are awesome.

Dude Food Man isn't bad either, but I haven't seen it out much,

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

Yeah Gumbo Kitchen has definitely gone down hill, but they've opened up a store on Smith Street which seems to be slightly better, so there is a fixed alternative. Po Boy Quarter is the name I think

I don't know why anyone would drive to either of those two options, only reason I frequent them is because I live in the Brunswick/Coburg area where half of the food joints are average.

That said some of the BBQ food trucks are awesome.. Smokin Barrys and Diggin For Fire BBQ are awesome.

Dude Food Man isn't bad either, but I haven't seen it out much,

been meaning to try out smokin barry's and fancy hanks.
I think my main issue is they should be a cheaper alternative cos the logic behind the food truck business is lower o/heads than a restaurant so the cheaper costs should be passed onto the punter to an extent.
If you live in the area I can see the advantage but yeah I live in the hawthorn area so its easier for me to go to the joints in richmond/st kilda/prahan.
I think smokin barrys is at that trailer park event all of next week at the old belgium beer gardens on st kilda rd. might check it out.
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
< 23,276
Mr. Bugger?

(Photo is a few weeks old)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heraclitus

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 126

Quote:

Originally Posted by jutsy View Post

been meaning to try out smokin barry's and fancy hanks.
I think my main issue is they should be a cheaper alternative cos the logic behind the food truck business is lower o/heads than a restaurant so the cheaper costs should be passed onto the punter to an extent.
If you live in the area I can see the advantage but yeah I live in the hawthorn area so its easier for me to go to the joints in richmond/st kilda/prahan.
I think smokin barrys is at that trailer park event all of next week at the old belgium beer gardens on st kilda rd. might check it out.

I agree, the prices are stupidly high on some of the trucks, and you're right if I was on that side of town, shit if I was closer to the city/smith street/brunswick st I doubt I'd ever eat at most of the burger/mexican ones due to the prices, in fact I don't think I've eaten at either of the Mexican ones since Los Hermanos opened. Cheaper, Better, Table service... a roof.

Smokin Barrys is great, Fancy Hanks is good too, not a food truck but Big Boy BBQ is amazing as well if you're in the CBD... Melbourne has some awesome BBQ joints/trucks at the moment.

Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,610
I find big boy a tad sweet. Fanky Hanks is ok but a bit expensive for what you get. Haven't checked out Barry yet.

I think White Guy Cook Thai is the best - the pork belly roll and korean fried chicken are ace

Quote:

Originally Posted by richmondtigers

His father had a sex change when his mum wanted a kid.

He mutilated his vagina not long afterwards.

To this day it is still in bad shape.

shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 126

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anselm View Post

I think White Guy Cook Thai is the best - the pork belly roll and korean fried chicken are ace

Forgot about that one. Those pork belly rolls are the bomb. They hang around the western suburbs though too much for me.

jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

Forgot about that one. Those pork belly rolls are the bomb. They hang around the western suburbs though too much for me.

try get to the belgium beer garden on st kilda rd on fri arvo/night (its called melbourne village now) white guy cooks thai, digging for bbq and dude food man are all going to be there on fri
Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »