Travel

Travel Insurance?

Tools
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 505
post above is meant to say bought my AAMI travel insurance, not health.
trekboy +

Times thanked
< 0
How come my health insurance doesn't cover me when I take a vacation? It surprises me that I need to get another policy to cover me on a trip. How expensive is it to get a travel insurance policy for my family?
First time user of a heirloom seed bank kit, and I need some suggestions on how to grow a great first harvest.
HARV3Y +

O_o <3 d-_-b

Times thanked
< 51
You're allowed to put your regular insurance on hold while you take out the holiday insurance As for prices, check out travelinsurancedirect, that's who I use every time
rancho: 1/5th of marshy's likes from his 15,000+ are from his 'i'm leaving' post

UMGAWA: $200 says he renegs on leaving.
zealbee +

Times thanked
< 107
Worldcare Travel Insurance are the best out there imo. They don't have any excess for things like missed flights, lost luggage, theft etc that nearly every other provider has at least $100 excess for and their prices are as good if not better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carte Blanche

Hardstyle isn't music. It's not anything, except perhaps complete garbage. It should really be discussed in the lifestyle forum, as in "I'm leading a lifestyle devoid of taste" or perhaps the food forum "I consume far too many drugs for my own good".

HARV3Y +

O_o <3 d-_-b

Times thanked
< 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by zealbee View Post

Worldcare Travel Insurance are the best out there imo. They don't have any excess for things like missed flights, lost luggage, theft etc that nearly every other provider has at least $100 excess for and their prices are as good if not better.

I'll have to check them out, I've got a few OS trips planned this year but with travelinsuredirect I usually pay a $25 no excess fee. So if I fork out the $25 up front I avoid any and all excesses should I make a claim
rancho: 1/5th of marshy's likes from his 15,000+ are from his 'i'm leaving' post

UMGAWA: $200 says he renegs on leaving.
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 1,672
http://www.smh.com.au/money/dont-be-...129-1o3s5.html

not a bad little article.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

Essendon Boy +

Its summer time and its time to exercise

Times thanked
< 2
Covermore or 1cover are pretty cheap for shorter holidays, just got covermore for my up coming trip to malaysia, hopefully don't have to use it!
Do you want personal training in Essendon, then send me a PM.
MaxNRG Personal Training - Mobile Fitness Trainers
weapon +

ism

Times thanked
< 2
Anyone have any advice for a one year stint overseas? I will be in europe for most of the time, but possibly go to places like china, south america, usa etc.

I don't want to pay a ridiculous amount obviously.
YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
< 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by weapon View Post

Anyone have any advice for a one year stint overseas? I will be in europe for most of the time, but possibly go to places like china, south america, usa etc.

I don't want to pay a ridiculous amount obviously.

I'd budget 2k and be happy with less. Going to America (the continent) bumps the cost up fairly significantly. For reference I paid 2k for 12 months for the US, Canada and Europe. That was for the moderately more expensive covermore policy (when you look at the cover level provided for some of the evacs and hospital procedures, the cheapest policies might not cover enough for really serious procedures in the US) and with ski/snowboard cover which was about 200 of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_e_de View Post

It's the same as going out on a busy street and looking at the people around you, most of them are fgts.

agvicsa +

Times thanked
< 373

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravelInsurance View Post

can any one of you tell me how to choose travel insurance company for taking travel insurance? and what the plans should cover on that?

Thank you so much.

NO! Do it yourself.

When you choose cover make sure you get yourself Porpoise insurance. Those breeders can be nasty buggers, especially in sandal country. Although you get 60% off minor surcharges. For free!
Hard-drinking, party-rebel, known for his irreverent attitude, wild antics & a flair for turning friends into enemies, is asking for an unspecified amount of compensatory, exemplary & punitive damages
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 1,926

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrinaschmidt View Post

Are you coming back to Australia though? It seems like a lot of the policies only cover you if you leave from Australia and are returning to Australia.

I'm wondering if I should just get travel insurance in London to cover my trip around Europe. Would solve this 'start and end in the one place' business. Then again, they probably wouldn't cover you unless you're a UK citizen or something ridiculous.

Can anyone provide more advice on this? I will be on the UK Youth Mobility visa for 2 years. I will only be in the UK for 4-5 days, then flying straight to Morocco and will be going across Europe for at least 4-5 months, then finding work/a place to live in the UK for the rest of the time. All I could really find was World Nomads, but this seems to be more when you are already overseas?

Best scenario would be to take out a policy here, so as to cover me for flight cancellation etc on the way to the UK and be able to say set a date of say January 2013 for when I will be back in the UK and have this done in one travel insurance policy.
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,127
Ok, ignoring the spammer, any current recommendations? I'm off to London on Saturday for a week, then 3 weeks in Croatia. Just need standard full cover for a month. From memory, it's between $200-300 correct?

These guys seem to have the best reviews - http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au/
According to this - http://www.productreview.com.au/c/travel-insurance.html

Half the price of others too! Only $124 for 30 days to UK and Croatia

Last edited by Fledz: 22-Jul-12 at 11:14pm

walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 505
I used Southern Cross which 28 degrees suggested. Apparently the cheapest going around. 5 weeks cost me around $130. Bargain.
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,127
Hmmmm, $99 with those guys

I'll compare the policies tomorrow. Cheers, sounds like you're loving Europe from the other thread
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 505
I have been my second trip in a year. Hardly touched the east last time so doing that mainly this time.
Ruthykins +

Stay awake little missfit

Times thanked
< 3,428
We were with Travel Insurance direct last time & have used them again for our next trip. This doesn't really mean shit as we haven't had to claim, but I can say that they are quite cheap in comparison to others & as Fledz said, they get good reviews!
Ya baloney
Movendi +

Times thanked
< 0
I know this hasn't been discussed but does anyone have any experience with travel insurance companies and doing adventure activities. Rock climbing, white water rafting, hang gliding etc.?
MCSphinx +

Brotankhamen.

Times thanked
< 2,122
I use these guys - http://www.insure4less.com.au/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

life and shit.

dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,739
I just use the insurance attached to my credit card.

Or chubb insurance if travelling on business
Hopped in the car and torpe'ed to the shack
Of Shaheed, "We gotta go back" when he said
"Why?" I said, "We gotta go
'Cause I left my wallet in El Segundo"

http://twitter.com/derekbradley
http://untappd.com/user/dbb618

https://plus.google.com/117630500124...73/posts?hl=en
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 1,672
does skiing count as advenutre?

I use worldcare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146
^^^ In a non-professional capacity, then generally yeah it's typically covered as an add-on (similar to mo-ped/motorcycle add-on cover), but there are often conditions (such as must never ski off-piste, or a 200cc limit with regards to the capacity of a motorbike) and importantly, EVERY policy is different and one MUST read the PDS to ensure their personal needs are met.

Cheapest ain't necessarily best when it comes to ones life being insured. Credit cards require certain percentages of the trip paid through them and may not include fellow travellers or even family members travelling with you.

Unlimited Medical Cover becomes limited very quickly when one discovers something like dental is severely capped, or the unlimited funds paid by the insurer only pay off the 3rd world hospital one found themselves bailed up in.

Or that heart murmur at birth that's not been an issue for 38 years suddenly becomes non-insurable, or cops a mighty great additional premium.

On the topic of 'adventure', strangely enough, most risk activities tend to be covered, such as white water rafting, to even the running of the bulls. Now that's just mental!
Movendi +

Times thanked
< 0
really? which insurance is this? Most the ones i've checked have the same "general exclusions" almost verbatim, especially the part about adventure sports.

i haven't checked insure4less PDS yet but im hoping their claim process is quality, that's what really matters with any insurance really. Cheap quotes doesn't mean anything otherwise. I don't really care how cheap it is, i want to know i wont get tossed around jumping through hoops to make a claim especially when it comes to medical and/or heli evacuation in the outdoors. i.e bitten by deadly snake and have 2 hours to live in the outback.

Im reading through ouch.com.au and they seem like a good general travel insurance with the same general exclusions regarding adventure sports but their quoted prices vs benefits you get seem to top all the other contenders for the non-adventerous travellers.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by Movendi View Post

really? which insurance is this? Most the ones i've checked have the same "general exclusions" almost verbatim, especially the part about adventure sports.

http://www.covermore.com.au/skiing-other-activities

Coverage at an additional premium:
- Skiing
- Snowboarding
- Snowmobiling
- Moped
- Motorcycling

Activities covered at no extra cost:
- Abseiling
- Archery
- Black Water Rafting / Cave Tubing
- Bungee Jumping
- Canyoning
- Caving
- Dancing
- Dog Sledding
- Fencing
- Fishing
- Football
- Flying Fox
- Glacier Walking
- Horse Riding
- Hot Air Balooning
- Hydro Speed
- Ice Fishing
- Ice Hockey
- Jet Boating
- Jet Skiing
- Kayaking
- Kite Surfing
- Mountain Biking
- Paragliding
- Parachuting
- Parasailing
- Sailing
- Sea Kayaking
- Scuba Diving
- Covered - provided that you hold an Open Water Diving Certificate or are diving with a qualified diving instructor.
- Sky Diving
- Snorkelling
- Surface swimming while using a snorkel (tube) to breathe through.
- Surfing
- Tobogganing
- Trekking
- Tuk-tuk
- Wake Boarding
- Water Skiing
- White Water Rafting
- Windsurfing
- Covered!
- Wrestling

(Note, I've not pasted the exceptions to the rule, so best to refer back to the page I linked to and/or call them. In fact, it'd be interesting to know whether rock climbing is covered. However your white water rafting and hand gliding makes the 'automatically covered for free' list)
Movendi +

Times thanked
< 0
Yea it sounds good but something about their claims process doesn't instill confidence when it comes to medical and emergencies

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/cover-more.html

Talked with ouch insurance and they said HANG GLIDING is covered! As well white water rafting. Only exceptions are not rock climbing, abseiling, or rappeling but i think they are generally safer than air sports

Last edited by Movendi: 24-Aug-12 at 01:30pm

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146
^^^ Interesting comments, and even more interesting to note Cover-More are actively responding to individual complaints on that board, and then revealing that the complaint is something that the customer failed to do / was naive to / would find the same non-coverage with any insurance provider.

Not to say that complaints aren't valuable feedback opportunities, but I kinda got to wonder about many who get on their 'Today Tonight / Current Affair' high horse.

Also, there's a BIG difference between rummaging through 1300+ wildly varying after-the-incident claims per month by local Australian teams, compared with providing critical assistance in a medical emergency. Completely different departments and priority.
DSILVR +

Times thanked
< 18
Hi everyone!

I'm heading overseas in March with the intent to visit the following countries:
Russia
Latvia
Poland
Hungary
Czech Republic
Germany
Denmark
Netherlands
France
Spain

The overall length of the trip will be 4 months, with longest length of stay in Germany for 3 weeks.

My overall concern is HEALTH, which is inclusive of dental and optical.

I'm not fixated on price, all I care about is ensuring the cover is comprehensive for health. Obviously 24/7 phone access to the company is a given. I don't want to have to communicate via email or anything obscene like that.

What are your recommendations?

I intend to use a motor vehicle in France and would like to be covered for this. Other than that I don't intend to engage in other behaviour that is deemed "risky" by insurance companies.

Anything else I can think of I'll add and keep you all posted.

This company seems to be recommend by most - http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au/
Thoughts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by weapon

These days, whenever I'm balls deep, I can't help thinking "I cant wait to tell my buddies on ITM"

Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,127
I'm with TID currently for 12 months and I used them for my Euro trip last year in July/August.

Touch wood that I've never had to use them but from my research, they seemed to get the best reviews out of anyone. Their underwriter has just changed so that might start to make a difference but it's hard to say.
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,682
As of next week I'll be covered under British Columbia's Medical Services Plan, for free!

Hollllaaaaaaa
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,127
Is that after 6 months of living there or 12? I could use it, I think I may have broken my spine after landing on my head yesterday
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,682
Yeah if you're planning to stay for 6 months or something you can apply straight away and I think you get coverage after the third month.

You should def call and find out, it's a free call and you may aswell
rynogee +

Times thanked
< 0
travel insurance direct
rajivthakur +

Times thanked
< 0
Hey dear,
This is a kinda boring but a real important task to fall to a relevant a proper insurance company.This is gonna be one of the most challenging task. I have been travelling a lot these years and have tried few direct travel insurances for my europe trips. Asean trips etc. I have been contracting up with Bajaj Tata and HDFC ERGO, and trust me i have had kinda similar experiences with all these brands.But to rate them from best to worst i would go from HDFC ergo to bajaj,

HDFC ergo being the best experience !!

Do write back for any of your querries.!! byeee enjoy.
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,127
Thanks dear.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »