The Music Studio

Ableton live production courses

Tools
AFROwookie +

Times thanked
< 4
Ableton live production courses
when i get the cash i want to do a ableton live production course but im not sure what to do

there is the dubspot online course - 60-80 hours of video, video feedback with instructor, covering levels 1-6 for $4750
dj warehouse 8 week production course - 16 hours of hands on, for $890
SAE Perth electro music production course - 6 months 2 classes per week, for ??
liveschool ableton live production course - 12 hours of hands on, for $700
that is all i have

i really want to be good at ableton live so it give me the best chance of making great music are there any other courses or people willing to just do 1 on 1 over skype or something ??
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
I thought you were going to buy CDJ2000 and a DJM2000 first?
Tech-One
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
< 69
Can't we just have one thread for all this Live production course shit?
brown820 +

Times thanked
< 15
Can't we just get across to the intrawebs that production courses aren't worth it : (.
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
< 69
I run a dubstep production course. Cost is a mere $4,999 for 50 hours. I guarantee after this course that your first track will get signed!
timothyallan +

Dance Music SuperProducer

Times thanked
< 60
For 9 grand, I'll make a track with you from scratch in Live, plus I'll get it charted to at least the top 50 in the UK with your name on it. Guaranteed!
Beatport | Timothyallan.com | Twitter | Mixing/Mastering/Tutoring |
EDM Video Tutorials
AFROwookie +

Times thanked
< 4
i asked for help not bullshit
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
I asked for.... hold on... I didn't ask for anything...
Tech-One
timothyallan +

Dance Music SuperProducer

Times thanked
< 60
I'm serious. Done it many times before.
Beatport | Timothyallan.com | Twitter | Mixing/Mastering/Tutoring |
EDM Video Tutorials
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
< 69
Just give me $4,999. It will happen. Trust me.

Course bookings end midnight tonight, only one position left so hurry!

PM me for direct bank deposit payment details.
brown820 +

Times thanked
< 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFROwookie View Post

i asked for help not bullshit

The short and sharp of it from my point of view is that you can only learn basic production tips of how to operate your sequencer from any of these courses, all of which is quite easily learned by yourself when you start making tracks. One thing that has always blown my mind is the expectation that there are tutors who will teach you to design sound and compose. Hell, if the teacher could do that well they'd be making their own tracks and touring the world, not tutoring for X an hour. At best you'd get very basic of making some electro sounds, which imo could be done by reverse engineering preset patches in your favourite synths.

Then again, I haven't tried it. But almost none of the artists I have heard of were taught production.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
< 3,963
How do i dubstep?!
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
< 105
It amazes me that people are happy for fork out thousands for online courses. Don't get me wrong I'm sure you will learn stuff, but you could probs learn that same stuff from free tutorials / just playing with the thing.

Oh and where's that mix wookie?
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
Ben Royal +

Times thanked
< 127
I've done DMC-type group production courses, one-on-one lessons and hundreds of hours of just trying to work it out/teach myself.

I didn't learn much from the DMC course than how to draw a kick and hi-hat pattern which I thought was a bit of a waste of time. The 1 on 1 lessons are far more useful because you only learn what you want to learn, but there is really no substitute for teaching yourself. I agree with what an earlier poster said about tutors technical vs composition abilities - if they could compose brilliant songs they would be touring, not tutoring. My tutor was brilliant at composing the 'fattest' and 'dopest' dub and psy basslines and synths but couldn't show me how to arrange a tech-house drum pattern.

It takes years of learning all the technical aspects of production and then you have to know how to put it all together to compose a track. If you dont have a vague idea in your head of what you want to make it very unlikely it will just come together for you. I think my strengths lie in my composition abilities rather than my technical abilities - I know what sounds good over what took months to make.

I would recommend finding a track you really like, drop it in ableton and then listen to each element of it (first time, just the kick, next time just the hats, next time just the sweeps, next time just the vox if there are any etc etc) and try and work out what they did. You could attempt to recreate it for the practice but I doubt you would even get it close so this may be a waste of time. You wont get everything but it will give you an idea of composition. You can go back to that same track a year later and listen to it again and I guarantee you will hear different things as you ears learn to pick up different sounds.

You can spend thousands on courses but this will not produce a song for you. Hundreds of hours of practising/composing/trying things out is the only way you will get there. Some of the best things I have done have happened by accident (i.e. Ive flicked the wrong switch and actually loved the result). I've come close to giving up many, many times yet last night started a track and wrote 70% of it in 2 hours (and love it already).

If you have a mate who is in the same boat and wants to produce the same style, why not teach yourselves together? Spend an arvo watching some youtube clips and mucking around making something simple, like a bass line. It's like exercising - its more fun and motivating if you arent alone. I would steer clear of the alcohol if you want to actually learn and progress - I can't write music under the influence!

mixes and remixes @ soundcloud.com/benroyal
khaiyin +

Lightnite

Times thanked
< 4
+1 for recreating a track u like
when specific problems arise, then u start looking for answers
/|±±|\
Ben Royal +

Times thanked
< 127
One more thing- there are no rules when it comes to making music- its whatever you think sounds good. People will try to tell you their own rules but that's their rules, not yours- you may develop some of your own over time but make the music you want to make, however you want to make it. The best things are those that have never been done before.

Dubstep breaks every rule of music possible and look how that's doing.
mulla +

Times thanked
< 0
Thought I'd drop my 2 cents worth on this. I've been a DJ for quite some time, but every time I looked at producing I got scared off by the complexity of the applications that are used for production. After speaking to a few people (and playing with Live a bit myself) I decided that Ableton Live was the way to go. I searched around on the net and heard a lot of hit and miss responses about various Ableton Live courses.

Eventually though, I found a few decent reviews on Liveschool - which is based in Kings Cross in Sydney. My objective was simple - to understand how Ableton Live works and to give myself the right framework to learn how to produce. Like these guys say, no class will give you the magic key to being a producer, you have to earn that through practice, but I don't think you're asking for that. If you're looking for a solid class that will give you a good introduction into the world of Ableton Live, then I would say look no further than Liveschool. I am just about to finish the Create and Destroy class there, and I have to say it was $990 well spent. The teacher there (Adam) is top quality and really knows his stuff. If you are looking to get out of this course the same thing I did, you'll come out very happy. I've gone way beyond what I expected - but most importantly, I feel like I can take it from here myself. The mystery is gone, the rest is just playing around and practising.

I hope that helps!

Cheers!!!
abletonlogictuition +

Times thanked
< 0
Ableton live lessons music production
Hi, I am doing freelance one to one Ableton Live and Maschine Tuition if anybody is interested.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/surry...pro/1010575205
djjass +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFROwookie View Post

when i get the cash i want to do a ableton live production course but im not sure what to do

there is the dubspot online course - 60-80 hours of video, video feedback with instructor, covering levels 1-6 for $4750
dj warehouse 8 week production course - 16 hours of hands on, for $890
SAE Perth electro music production course - 6 months 2 classes per week, for ??
liveschool ableton live production course - 12 hours of hands on, for $700
that is all i have

i really want to be good at ableton live so it give me the best chance of making great music are there any other courses or people willing to just do 1 on 1 over skype or something ??

I never really believed in this production courses can teach you any thing different that you can't learn from hunting forums and youtube to learn. Personally i would save your cash, at the end of the day great music will come from talent, and not by how well you can use a DAW.

But at the end its your choice.
ModernDayMusic +

Times thanked
< 0
dude i have so much stuff on ableton live on my site moderndaymusician com, check it out, i just added a new page of video tutorials for ableton and did some reviewed the Novation: Launchpad Control Surface for Ableton Live that's under the gears and gadgets tab
davidec +

Times thanked
< 0
Guys the School of Synthesis in Prahran in Melvourne runs some real cool courses by tutors who are well versed in their field. They also run free monthly events with people like Joris Vorn that give people a feel of the school and to get to know the students. High end, bespoke Music production courses for all things from Ableton Live to Max 4 Live, Synthesis & Sampling to Music Production. Pm me if interested.
Liquidmixes +

Times thanked
< 0
Try here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTKgpQLJlV0

« Previous Thread Next Thread »