Tools
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206
The US Olympic Team Photo Controversy
I am unsure as to whether people have seen this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...7062--oly.html

What are every bodies thoughts about these photos and the controversy surrounding them?

Personally I think that the controversy is being wound up by a few photographers on reddit with tall poppy syndrome (they are making it out like these photos are high treason), but I must admit, these are questionable photos that welcome some criticism.

I think the photographer may have been a fish out of water. I have read elsewhere that he is basically a paparazzo (an award winning paparazzo at that). The question is - why was he selected to take these formal shots? Are they formal shots? These are sloppy photos which beg the question - are they intentional or was there more to it than meets the eye?

At the end of the day though, perhaps Getty and AFP will think twice about who they are sending out to do work and represent them. I don't believe that the photographer in this instance was the right person for this job.
EAD
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,861
i think they're really shit

i don't do studio & i could do a much better job than that.

sure claim the "creative" angle, but blurry & out of focus? what kind of fucking professional thinks that's acceptable?
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206
He's bitten off more than he can chew - he doesn't look like he has much studio experience and has slipped under time/pressure.
EAD
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 860
They are really shit. Like really, really shit. And this is not coming from a photographer or someone with any photography experience. Anyone can tell they are stupidly bad. Surely a publicity stunt? I can't imagine any professional photographer would release those like that, nor would a body like the US Olympic Team arrange to pick a photographer who releases this kind of work. NFI

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

Ruthykins +

Stay awake little missfit

Times thanked
< 3,795
that is some of the worst photography I've ever seen! That one of Phelps is fucking terrible!
Ya baloney
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthykins View Post

that is some of the worst photography I've ever seen! That one of Phelps is fucking terrible!

Just on that one, what do you think are the worse aspects of it.

I can see:

- Awkward pose and facial expression;
- Blocked shadows; and
- Bad composition and angle.

It would be interesting to break down what is so bad about these photographs. Not to blow up the situation more, but more of a checklist as what not to do!
EAD
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 316

the internets delivering for my morning lols yet again. its like its a "my first strobist shoot"

no "pro" is that bad even for a paparazzo whos job is to deliberately take photos of ppl at their worse. subject and their action/expression aside theyre usually at least in focus so i would say hes done it on purpose. quite possibly choked at doing a staged shoot so he pulled the early disclaimer bail out of ironically bad "i meant that" stuffed shots.... or he was coked up to his eyeballs.

regardless of all reasoning, making a mockery of the olympics and the poor athletes that trusted him (tho surely some mightve been clued in to just how wayward the shoot was going) to end up with the equivalent of the mid sneeze look in a social shot.

...or is it really a conspiracy thing on trying to bring the american public back to giving a rats about their olympic team?
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
Cavey +

^_~

Times thanked
< 156
:o
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,397
Publicity or not, I'm saddened by the thought of how much he probably got paid for this shit.
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
< 7,068
they're just awful. if the photographer did want to say 'hey world, athletes are human too' there is so many ways it could have been done.

fucking disgraceful, and an insult to professionals (pro 'togs too) who train hard to represent their country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

JamRock +

Haus-Boat cruise with Ian Pooley - Good Friday! :)

Times thanked
< 218
Well hellllo Dakota Earnest!!!

(does that sound like a pr0n name?)

>>> FUNKAGENDA >> TECHPHONICS > FRI 24 JAN > MR KIM'S

> Playing tech tunes every Tuesday, 6pm-8pm (Adelaide time) on www.soundpond.net
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemerage View Post

Publicity or not, I'm saddened by the thought of how much he probably got paid for this shit.

From what I understand, around $250.
EAD
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,861
maybe they were being tightarses & thought a photographer's a photographer so got the cheapest guy they could find?
Ruthykins +

Stay awake little missfit

Times thanked
< 3,795

Quote:

Originally Posted by autumn acid View Post

Just on that one, what do you think are the worse aspects of it.

I can see:

- Awkward pose and facial expression;
- Blocked shadows; and
- Bad composition and angle.

It would be interesting to break down what is so bad about these photographs. Not to blow up the situation more, but more of a checklist as what not to do!

all of the above AND it's out of focus
Ya baloney
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206

Quote:

According to Klamar, 'I was under the impression that I was going to be photographing athletes on a stage or during press conference where I would take their headshots for our archives [and] I really had no idea that there would be a possibility for setting up a studio'.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07...mpic-portraits
EAD
The Duke +

better resolution than the real world

Times thanked
< 459
Article from smh.com.au -
http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/news-...706-21l23.html
Some interesting points. The author points out some excuses to the photos but suggests that it still shouldn't have happened.
_______
Flickr
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 316
bwahahaaha even worse that hes running with the.. "but..but.. i didnt know" angle. shouldve gone with "sticking it to the man" and rode his 15min of internet fame before ppl found another farting panda.

ps. if he was sposed to get just head shots, wtf was he doing with all the fuctup poses and lighting?
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 316

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke View Post

Article from smh.com.au -
http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/news-...706-21l23.html
Some interesting points. The author points out some excuses to the photos but suggests that it still shouldn't have happened.

interesting indeed
i particularly liked this response

Quote:

News flash Katie - photos like this are for consumption by the general public: the great unwashed hordes of "'iphone/instagram users". That means that the public are in fact the BEST people to critique these photos.

I dislike people with a modicum of knowledge behaving as if they are professionals (it happens in every industry) but what I dislike more is professionals who believe that people who aren't in the same line of work don't have a right to their opinion.

Your point is the same as saying that people who buy clothes from chain stores like Target or K-Mart are not qualified to comment on the style or quality of the garments because they are not trained fashion designers or that people who buy a burger at fast-food store can't comment because they aren't trained chefs.

This photographer is producing photographs for the express purpose of selling them as a commodity for consumption by the general public. All the technical details in the world are irrelevant next to just on consideration - does it look good to the intended audience.

It is a product and it does not fulfill its intended purpose ergo it is a bad product.

I'm sure there were lots of constraints and I feel for the photographer but in the end, he was selling his photos to a general service and not to a client breathing down his neck. If he wasn't happy with the final product then he shouldn't have sold them. If he WAS happy then just judgment was rather bad.

the biggest wtf was with him letting the pix leave his computer.

the "busy day" excuse is rubbish, being a pappo hed be used to it, and he certainly had enough time to climb ladders or dodgey up a flag bg. "unfamiliar equipment"? come on, set light mode, set power for pretty much any kind of light. that excuse doesnt really fly when it comes to his own equipment re: manually focusing past the subject
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
< 7,068
ah, so he's an f/8 1/60 hot shoe flash red carpet photographer. gotcha.

admittedly, there were a couple of cool ones in with all the awful ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,861

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancho View Post

admittedly, there were a couple of cool ones in with all the awful ones.

everyone can pull off a couple of lucky ones
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,008
The one of the female weightlifter is just horrendous
JolyV +

Times thanked
< 117
terrible pictures, suck

« Previous Thread Next Thread »