Melbourne

Tax Return Time

Tools
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,147
Tax Return Time
Anyone on here a tax accountant/friends one/recommends one?

I've always just done mine on etax online, but really, I have NFI what I'm doing, what I can claim against, and for some reason my work seems with withhold waaaaaaaay more tax for me than they should, so even without making any claims, I get a huge return, but I feel I should really be doing it properly to get everything back that I should.

Like I work oncall 1 week out of every month, someone told me that means I can claim against our power/phone/internet as an "expense" in relation to said work, but I don't even really recall seeing anywhere in the etax online thingy where you could make said claims or how you go about it...so at the very least would like some professional advice.

Have read other places that places like HR Block are a bunch of crap and not worth going to, any thoughts?

Chur
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
nocturnal_groova +

Times thanked
< 77
Hey mate, HR block are rubbish, steer clear, just mum and dads with tafe degrees. Theyre ok for very basic tax affairs but useless for anything with a bit of complexity.

If you do actually need someone good pm me and I'll recommend someone but essentially as long as they're CPA/CA qualified they should be good enough (ie. proper chartered accountants).

GL
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
< 1,338
Pretty sure that on call thing is crap.

Like the ITMers who were told they could claim their xbox and games because they work in the gaming industry.

But hey go get an opinion if you want, then they'll be the ATO's port of call when they come to ream your arse.

Edit. This probably won't happen unless the costs you claim aren't outrageous and set off the computer alarms. Working in a job that they aren't targeting this year would help to.

Last edited by silverspoon: 14-Jul-12 at 06:00pm

Kellyboop +

Lettuce be cereal here, guys.

Times thanked
< 2,722
I do believe you can only claim your internet/phone/power/rent on tax when your place of work is your home (and you might have to be a contractor or self-employed?). This is what I was told by my employer when I contracted from home last year.
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 4,769
If you need phone and internet for work you can claim a portion of it, simple as that. We receive work emails all the time for my job, and technically we aren't meant to be browsing shit on our phones during work hours, so I have to view those emails after hours. I'm also claiming the laptop I just bought because I have it to access said emails when I'm working away from home. Score.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

I think you obviously dont understand what i'm trying to say.

silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
< 1,338
Well no, it's not quite as simple as that.
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 4,769
Elaborate then, rather than just shutting it down like that, which helps nobody.

Also I know that it's % based, I wont get claiming on the entire value. The app works that out for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

I think you obviously dont understand what i'm trying to say.

Last edited by Derelict: 14-Jul-12 at 11:04pm

silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
< 1,338
Sorry, was going to get Mrs Spoon to post further, but she is asleep right now.

Look, you can claim whatever you want (and plenty of people do), but if they challenge it, you are going to have to defend it.
red is the new blu
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 4,769
No doubt, that's why I went to an account last year to get clarification. I was claiming tolls and parking, ba bow... Can't claim those in my circumstance. Also I messed up my own return the year before with allowances, got a nasty letter from tax department saying I owe money cause I got under taxed, so this year's return will be reduced.
brenly +

Reasoner

Times thanked
< 99
Anyone else work on a remote site?
I know there's a few things I can claim due to the remote location, but still working out what they all are.
reasoning4.0.
mlirosi +

bangin 7gram rocks

Times thanked
< 3,155
if you have a basic job and wont be claiming any complicated deductions i.e rental property, working under your own abn, carrying forward losses etc than the fees a CA/CPA will charge will not cover the difference in you filling out your own return.

i would suggest filling it out yourself, getting a tax savy friend to give you a hand if you are looking for a few deductions, but at the end of the day if you do lodge something in error, you are only required to pay back the difference should the ATO audit you (plus interest of 11.85% p.a compounding daily) and generally should they fink that the error in the return was innocent they waive the interest charge
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,147
Excellent, thanks ya'll...
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
mel_v +

a s s i l e m

Times thanked
< 1,680

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlirosi View Post

but at the end of the day if you do lodge something in error, you are only required to pay back the difference should the ATO audit you (plus interest of 11.85% p.a compounding daily) and generally should they fink that the error in the return was innocent they waive the interest charge

Can confirm. I had an accountant prepare my return and he fucked it up pretty royally, seems he was on the ATO's radar. So I got audited, was nothing serious and we weren't talking massive sums of money. I had to pay back what I would have owed for that tax year but they waived all of the interest (some 2 years after the lodgement).

« Previous Thread Next Thread »