The DJ Booth

Which active loudspeakers?

Reply
  Tools
shadow739 +

Registered User

shadow739's Avatar
Joined
May '10
Times thanked
< 1
Posts
117
Which active loudspeakers?
Hi to all (again), now I am after opinions on what active loudspeakers to buy. My budget is $1000-$1100 (for a pair). Been looking around the whole day and there's not much around my price range.

I was looking at a pair of Mackie TH15A. Are they any good or should I keep saving and get some JBLs instead?

Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks

What would be a really good set of active loudspeakers? A pair that has a clear and clean sound.
Kent +

Registered User

Kent's Avatar
Joined
May '11
Times thanked
< 19
Posts
155
Keep saving. Stay away from plastic boxes. I was really impressed with Yamaha when I heard some recently.
stuff
shadow739 +

Registered User

shadow739's Avatar
Joined
May '10
Times thanked
< 1
Posts
117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent View Post

Keep saving. Stay away from plastic boxes. I was really impressed with Yamaha when I heard some recently.

Thank you. Will wait until I have enough funds.
sd88me +

Registered User

sd88me's Avatar
Joined
Sep '08
Times thanked
< 72
Posts
986
Mackie TH15A

Got these.. disappointed
AKA - http://soundcloud.com/samakasam
shadow739 +

Registered User

shadow739's Avatar
Joined
May '10
Times thanked
< 1
Posts
117

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd88me View Post

Mackie TH15A

Got these.. disappointed

Hi sd88me,

Thank you for that. It is so hard to find reviews on active speakers. I looked all day yesterday and could not find the best active loudspeaker.

So for now I'm looking at Yamaha speakers like Kent suggested.
sd88me +

Registered User

sd88me's Avatar
Joined
Sep '08
Times thanked
< 72
Posts
986
like you said, theres not much for that price range. You will need to double your budget for decent gear. Otherwise the mackies are probably your only option..
AKA - http://soundcloud.com/samakasam
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

m_xt's Avatar
Joined
Sep '07
Times thanked
< 1,488
Posts
4,245
^ to be fair, I would have been happy with the Mackie purchase if the speakers worked, but yeah no after market support out of warranty sucks.
sd88me +

Registered User

sd88me's Avatar
Joined
Sep '08
Times thanked
< 72
Posts
986
they sound pretty horrible
AKA - http://soundcloud.com/samakasam
shadow739 +

Registered User

shadow739's Avatar
Joined
May '10
Times thanked
< 1
Posts
117
I wish there was a review on the top 10 active loudspeakers.
claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
< 760
Posts
4,157
Keep an eye out for good deals on Neumann KH120s.
shadow739 +

Registered User

shadow739's Avatar
Joined
May '10
Times thanked
< 1
Posts
117

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

Keep an eye out for good deals on Neumann KH120s.

I sure will. Thanks!
audiolive +

Registered User

audiolive's Avatar
Joined
Apr '12
Times thanked
< 0
Posts
11
Maybe look for some second hand RCF's . The Thump's are actually a re branded Tapco product (Mackie own Tapco) and are garbage. Another option is the Australian Monitor XRS12P's. Top box for the money. Quest also have some nice offerings in the lower end market. As for JBL don't bother the entry level JBL stuff is shit house. A wooden box is always nice but the low end wooden boxes are nasty in terms of quality, and sonics. I would go for a plastic box. They are designed for DJ / Driveway hire and will take a good beating and still look like new.
https://www.facebook.com/TechnicsModsAustralia
shadow739 +

Registered User

shadow739's Avatar
Joined
May '10
Times thanked
< 1
Posts
117

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiolive View Post

Maybe look for some second hand RCF's . The Thump's are actually a re branded Tapco product (Mackie own Tapco) and are garbage. Another option is the Australian Monitor XRS12P's. Top box for the money. Quest also have some nice offerings in the lower end market. As for JBL don't bother the entry level JBL stuff is shit house. A wooden box is always nice but the low end wooden boxes are nasty in terms of quality, and sonics. I would go for a plastic box. They are designed for DJ / Driveway hire and will take a good beating and still look like new.

Thank you. I appreciate your advice. I will stay away from Mackies.
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

TurntableTech's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
< 13
Posts
2,387
QSC K series or KW series ftw.

I'm biased though.
sd88me +

Registered User

sd88me's Avatar
Joined
Sep '08
Times thanked
< 72
Posts
986
OP would need like $3-4Grand!!!!!
AKA - http://soundcloud.com/samakasam
shadow739 +

Registered User

shadow739's Avatar
Joined
May '10
Times thanked
< 1
Posts
117

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd88me View Post

OP would need like $3-4Grand!!!!!

Gee fellas I think that's way over my budget lol.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Spectrum's Avatar
Joined
May '01
Times thanked
< 146
Posts
9,184
^^^ Pair of QSC K8s wouldn't be too much beyond the current budget... someone's flogging a pair on Gumtree for $1400
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/appin...ers/1002925844

Though I reckon they'd likely come in at or under $1600/pr new these days (Store DJ), which then allows one to sign up for the factory 6-year warranty.

So $500 over budget, but what's a budget anyway? Good things cost money, so if you want something good, the budget's gotta budge.
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

TurntableTech's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
< 13
Posts
2,387

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

^^^ Pair of QSC K8s wouldn't be too much beyond the current budget... someone's flogging a pair on Gumtree for $1400
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/appin...ers/1002925844

Though I reckon they'd likely come in at or under $1600/pr new these days (Store DJ), which then allows one to sign up for the factory 6-year warranty.

So $500 over budget, but what's a budget anyway? Good things cost money, so if you want something good, the budget's gotta budge.

shadow739 +

Registered User

shadow739's Avatar
Joined
May '10
Times thanked
< 1
Posts
117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

Good things cost money, so if you want something good, the budget's gotta budge.

LOL! Good point. Okay will have to save up more so I can get the QSC speakers. Thanks for your input.
ayampanggang +

yeah

Joined
Aug '07
Times thanked
< 0
Posts
379
noone recommends Adam? I got the really small A3X for like $500 a pair. They're pretty sweet for monitoring transients + mid to hi freqs. Useless low end, as all 4" speaker but I'd reckon if you go with the big A8X you'll defo get some nice bottoms and probably they'll still be within your price range.
http://soundcloud.com/lolski
Reply

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts