Entertainment and the Arts

Batman - The Dark Knight Rises

Tools
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,184
Sorry mate, just on mobile and it's a **** to put in tags, so i made the post as least spoiling and ambiguous as I could. Also do what I did - avoid anything batman related till you see it.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,275
Yeah agreed completely..
I found it very hard though to not read everything in here!
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
< 2,094
Spoiler:
This from the guy who thought Inception was more than just a Choose Your Own Adventure story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

Last edited by Dr Bones: 24-Jul-12 at 06:49pm

danmau5 +

has just about had it up to here with you.

Times thanked
< 3,278
[ sp ] [ /sp ]

not the most difficult coding I've ever seen.
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
Wanna know where I got these tags?? ... My father was a coder.. And one might he codes a little crazier than usual.,,
Conor- +

Incorrectly using the semi colon; since 1996

Times thanked
< 1,396

How I feel
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogan Josh View Post

I didn't think there were many leaps of logic or plot holes, but can anyone answer this?

Spoiler:
When Batty escaped from the prison pit, which I'm presuming was in north Africa by the inmates' voices, how did he get home to Gotham city so quickly? He was bankrupt, had no transport plus all the bridges to the city had been blown up (bar a blocked-up tunnel.) I can't recall where he popped up specifically, but it was right in the thick of things, in Bane's hideout or something.

Spoiler:
it was right after he snapped his back, did some pushups to make it better, climbed up the pit twice with rope, fell a hundred metres back down with another spine snapping jolt. TWICE.

But I really loved it when bats flew outta that crevice at the top of the pitt. That was fuckin SWEET!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry2234 View Post

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

Rogan Josh +

Lizards in my telly.

Times thanked
< 2,579

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMoney View Post

Spoiler:
it was right after he snapped his back, did some pushups to make it better, climbed up the pit twice with rope, fell a hundred metres back down with another spine snapping jolt. TWICE.

Was that an attempt at humour, or are you genuinely that dim?
Aydo +

play from your fucking heart

Times thanked
< 43
I just came back from the cinemas and after reading your comments...

Spoiler:
Are you guys serious? I am so disappointed. It makes a mockery of how good the first two movies were. What a cliched piece of crap that has more holes than a 10 year old pair of undies. So so so disappointed. Are we supposed to take that seriously? fucking hell. fucking fucking shit.

Surely it was not written by the same people who did the first ones. Die Hard was more believable.

Seriously crap. Way to sell out Mr. Nolan. And you didn't even have the balls to do the one thing that could save the movie and end it for good.

Last edited by Aydo: 24-Jul-12 at 10:13pm

BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088

Quote:

Was that an attempt at humour, or are you genuinely that dim?

Dude. You picked up a plot hole, I picked up a 'leap of logic'. Hole. There were a couple of them from both ends, but I still frikkin loved it.

Spoiler:
It could be a fair assumption to say that he got a lift back from the pitt by connecting with Alfred somehow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry2234 View Post

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

Aydo +

Times thanked
< 43

Quote:

Dude. You picked up a plot hole, I picked up a 'leap of logic'. Hole. There were a couple of them from both ends, but I still frikkin loved it.

Spoiler:
It could be a fair assumption to say that he got a lift back from the pitt by connecting with Alfred somehow.

Spoiler:
that is the issue, there are too many 'assumptions' to be made.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,614

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aydo View Post

Spoiler:
that is the issue, there are too many 'assumptions' to be made.

Spoiler:
His escape timeline doesn't have to be exactly linear with the Gotham city timeline. Still, I have to say I found it odd but I can't remember the exact sequence and timeframe of events at that point in the movie. I'm seeing it at Imax next week so will try and be a bit more conscious of that timeline when I go to see if it can in anyway be plausibly explained.
Aydo +

Times thanked
< 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post

Spoiler:
His escape timeline doesn't have to be exactly linear with the Gotham city timeline. Still, I have to say I found it odd but I can't remember the exact sequence and timeframe of events at that point in the movie. I'm seeing it at Imax next week so will try and be a bit more conscious of that timeline when I go to see if it can in anyway be plausibly explained.

Spoiler:
Even if the holes in the plot can be VERY loosely covered up, what about the appalling dialogue (i counted 8 'inspirational' speeches in the first 30 minutes) and acting? Miranda's death at the end... wow that was cringe-worthy. Which was then backed up with the kiss between batman and catwoman? Wtf was that! Terrible. urgh
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,275
Haters gonna...

Spoiler:
hate
danmau5 +

Times thanked
< 3,278

Quote:

Spoiler:
Miranda's death at the end... wow that was cringe-worthy.

Spoiler:
gotta give that one to you, there were actual lols throughout the cinema

I don't really care about all these holes, I was after a kickass superhero movie, not an academy award winning piece. got what I came for, end of.
Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,779
Christian Bale has visited and spoke with the surviving victims of the COlorado shootings on his own accord, not representing WB or anything.

I think this is an amazing gesture on his behalf

And visiting the memorial site, obviously very emotional and depressing moment

Last edited by Onslaught: 25-Jul-12 at 10:07am

Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,359
Nice!
Rogan Josh +

Lizards in my telly.

Times thanked
< 2,579

Quote:

Spoiler:

Sorry I didn't mean to snap last night, I was eating soup & a whole crust of bread fell in the bowl.

I was angry, & lashed out.

& yes,
Spoiler:
bungee-jumping with a broken back isn't advisable. In fact I'd say it takes more to fix a broken back than push-ups & a good hard thump to the protruding vertebrae by a helpful soul. But this is Batman after all, the Man of Steel.
AixP +

(",)~~

Times thanked
< 35
Could Christian Bale get any hotter? Going to visit the victims, awww.
Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,779
A few more images. I find this very moving and so inspirational!

Conor- +

Incorrectly using the semi colon; since 1996

Times thanked
< 1,396
There was a facebook 'social-media-Kony' type push for that.
Very good, at least he's not big-headed.

Well, DKR was better than the Avengers, at least. Ugh
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,614

Quote:

Spoiler:
Even if the holes in the plot can be VERY loosely covered up, what about the appalling dialogue (i counted 8 'inspirational' speeches in the first 30 minutes) and acting? Miranda's death at the end... wow that was cringe-worthy. Which was then backed up with the kiss between batman and catwoman? Wtf was that! Terrible. urgh

Mate, I don't disagree with you. In my initial reviewy type post I highlighted a number of issues I had with it - such as the twist and how it was conveniently explained, the actual ending (last 5-10minutes of the film was pretty cheesy), the lack of zing in the dialogue
Spoiler:
I missed stating Miranda's death scene but your right that was cringeworthy
, the length, and the difficulty in understanding the two main characters - but for all its flaws I still liked it a lot.

I don't think it's Nolan's best (that would be The Prestige imo), but for a Summer blockbuster it had some style and a fair bit of substance (the subtext issues of the GFC, Occupy Wall Street, The Tea Party, and America's continued inactivity on Climate Change, could all be found if you wanted to deconstruct it a little bit).

The opening scene with the planes was fucking awesome sauce. Such a skillful sequence of film shot by a master craftsmen. The logistics of filming such a scene and getting it to go smoothly, to make it actually work, really should be applauded. People should see the film for that sequence alone and be amazed-balls.
jarrardscott +

i've had enough of "digital prophet"

Times thanked
< 4,493
why do you guys always pick apart movies you enjoyed afterwards until you no longer remember the enjoyment.

le sigh...
http://soundcloud.com/jarrardscott
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,614

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

why do you guys always pick apart movies you enjoyed afterwards until you no longer remember the enjoyment.

le sigh...

Because we're not 5-year olds.

Last edited by Geezah: 25-Jul-12 at 04:28pm

rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
< 7,063

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

Fuck that, it needs to be shocking.

Taliban Batman.

Talibatman. I'd watch that.

Quote:

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
S'all good man @ Rogan.

We're all entitled to a lash out/vent every once in a while.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,275
Geez, add spoilers man.

Douche.

Last edited by Whitey1981: 25-Jul-12 at 07:13pm

Aydo +

Times thanked
< 43
If you are that keen on not finding out the end of a movie maybe don't go looking in threads about that movie.

Quote:

le sigh...

It's called critical thinking. I bet you are an advertiser's wet dream.

You are right though Geez, there were some good parts in the movie, and it was certainly above the other standard super-hero flicks. I was just a victim of my own expectations. It could have been so much more.

Why did Nolan not just finish TDK after the joker was caught and let Harvey Dent/Two-face be the bad guy for DKR? Would have been a much better bad guy
danmau5 +

Times thanked
< 3,278
you seem like a bit of a dick, aydo.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,275

Quote:

If you are that keen on not finding out the end of a movie maybe don't go looking in threads about that movie.

By all means, people can stay out of the thread but in the same token plenty of people would come here to see news about the film - they shouldn't read non-spoilered comments about apsects of the film or it's ending, these should be experiences that are discovered whilst watching the film and not because people think others should 'deal with it'.

Again, I've seen it, so I don't care so much but I'd be disappointed if I hadn't.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,614

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey1981 View Post

Geez, add spoilers man.

Douche.

I haven't spoilt a thing. There's no need for spoilers when you are making fairly generic observations I wouldn't have thought.

Spoiler:
Douche!
Spoiler:
Zing.
Aydo +

Times thanked
< 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmau5 View Post

you seem like a bit of a dick, aydo.

I would say calling someone a 'douche' for posting about a movie in that movie's thread is probably more of a dick move than whatever i did. But it's subjective of course.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,275

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post

I haven't spoilt a thing. There's no need for spoilers when you are making fairly generic observations I wouldn't have thought.

Spoiler:
Douche!
Spoiler:
Zing.

See, I disagree...

Spoiler:
users that haven't seen it shouldn't be told there is a 'twist and how it was conveniently explained' or the opening sequence of the film. But hey, maybe that's just me.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,614

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey1981 View Post

See, I disagree...

Spoiler:
users that haven't seen it shouldn't be told there is a 'twist and how it was conveniently explained' or the opening sequence of the film. But hey, maybe that's just me.

I didn't spoil anything by saying those things imo. The fact is though, the movie is
Spoiler:
now out
, and this being the thread for
Spoiler:
The Dark Knight Rises
, people should probably avoid reading the thread because it's going to include discussion of
Spoiler:
said movie
and will probably have a bit of, ya know, discussion that doesn't give any
Spoiler:
actual details of the movie but is going to talk about the actual movie the thread is about

There's a reason I don't read the Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Movies I Want To See threads (until I have watched them) when I know those shows and movies are out: it's because I know there will be some rudimentary discussions that will be discussed even outside spoiler tags that may actually be things I don't want to read before going in. But
Spoiler:
hey, that's just me. And I still don't think I spoilt anything.

Spoiler:
I'm being passive aggressive btw.
Underwater +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 39
The only thing i find remotely interesting about this movie is how i let the marketing hype rope me into seeing it. Would've happily left after 45 or so but it was cold out so played footsies with my gf instead. I like action movies and all, but shit man, this just felt tooooooo unoriginal! The scenes in that arabic desert prison were the only bits that actually got me paying attention, quite liked how the backstory unfolded during those scenes... bit more subtle intrigue and less noise and cheesy one-liners would've made for a cool action movie imo.
David Lynch presents...
Underwater +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 39
p.s. bale and hathaway slept through this movie, so pull your fingers out to those of you in here who threw around crap like their acting was worth seeing, think i read in some thread that it's bales best acting since 'the machinist'... Coming from a bale lover - this is NOT bale acting yo, its him in snooze-control earning some extra retirement funds
David Lynch presents...
JulesPLees +

Just about sick of it. Totes.

Times thanked
< 211
Spoiler:
havent seen it yet
The JulesPLees ComPLete Trilogy for 2013

Volume 1: Light (Club Prog-Trance)
https://soundcloud.com/user38450/jul...ete-2013-vol-1
jarrardscott +

i've had enough of "digital prophet"

Times thanked
< 4,493
nah there's critical thinking, then there's over-analyzing.

I agree on
Spoiler:
talia's cringeworthy death

BUT i dont go on about this stuff, its not what i want to remember the movie by. By going on about all the bad stuff it tarnishes your memory of a movie you enjoyed.

If you enjoyed it at the time why go back and go "actually, this bit was shit, so was this, and this, and i didnt like this bit"

fucking stupid imo.
http://soundcloud.com/jarrardscott
nickko +

Why would I not have a nice day?

Times thanked
< 4,376
Were Batman's eyes the right colour Jrod?
I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,184
That last bit is what we all think when we read your posts.
Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,779
Can't wait to acquire this on blu-ray
I am the best +

SPLASH!

Times thanked
< 212
All the people who didnt get this movie abviously werent drawn in by the trilogy, the entire story of Batman and Gotham, not just 'OMG Heath Ledger as the Joker'. While they senselessly bashed away on their smartphones in the cinema waiting for the next explosion, true fanboi's drooled over the intense score, clever character development and masterfully unhidden nods to the bat franchise.

TDKR had a lot to live up to. Not just to be 'as good as the dark knight', it was never going to be, it just had to do the whole story justice, and it did.

I pitty people who didnt enjoy this movie, but hey they are making another Wolverine so maybe thats a bit more on their level :p
JVP $$Robotocorps
what more do you want in a line-up ?
Eric Prydz parachuting naked from a plane followed by White Michael Jackson Vs Black Michael Jackson soundtracked by Nirvana feat The Beatles and Wolverine? even then I don't think that would be appreciated...
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
I can't wait to see this again but on IMAX. need to see it again soon!!
The3rdPlumpDj +

Times thanked
< 11
I couldn’t wait to see this but, sorry guys, I got to say. It’s terrible! I feel like I’m in another world or something with everyone is singing such high praises for it..i think people are brainwashed into wanting to be so good that they think it is… maybe I should go back and watch it again but I couldn’t possibly endure nearly 3 hours of that again…

Spoiler:
There are way too many points to mention about this film and why it is so bad, but one thing ive got to say… did someone from the picture company hold a gun to Nolan’s head to force him to write that ending? They forgo any creativity or mysteriousness and blatantly leave it open for the franchise to be gang raped at a later date. It was so disappointing!
Davomaxi +

No. Money Down!

Times thanked
< 983
Again, how did Ben Mendelsohn get a role? Haven't seen him in ages and fuck he looks old now! His OTT yankie accent was awful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I killed all my family because they wouldn't suck my dick.

Medium Rurrrr!

See my blog http://ecentreofexcellence.blogspot.com.au/
MuchRoughage +

IS FEELING REGULAR

Times thanked
< 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

That last bit is what we all think when we read your posts.

Pot, shake hands with Kettle.
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davomaxi View Post

Again, how did Ben Mendelsohn get a role? Haven't seen him in ages and fuck he looks old now! His OTT yankie accent was awful.

He Died With a Falafal Batman.
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,184
When did Chyna start doing porn? Yuck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Quote:

I think you obviously dont understand what i'm trying to say.

Underwater +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 39

Quote:

He Died With a Falafal Batman.

Hehe, I thought it was Noah Taylor too, the aged appearance and strange tan had me a bit confused... those two boys have a similar lisp-type movement when they talk. Slightly bizarre all round, really.
David Lynch presents...
Underwater +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 39

Quote:

I didn't think there were many leaps of logic or plot holes, but can anyone answer this?

Spoiler:
When Batty escaped from the prison pit, which I'm presuming was in north Africa by the inmates' voices, how did he get home to Gotham city so quickly? He was bankrupt, had no transport plus all the bridges to the city had been blown up (bar a blocked-up tunnel.) I can't recall where he popped up specifically, but it was right in the thick of things, in Bane's hideout or something.

Spoiler:
from my vague perspective, when they first announced the bomb was going off, it was T-minus 23 days... when Batman was back in the thick of things there was less than 24 hours or some shit. Plenty of time to get a massage and a feed in between.
David Lynch presents...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »