The Music Studio

Wanting to buy equipment and software

Tools
Nathn +

Times thanked
< 0
Wanting to buy equipment and software
Hey guys,

I'm looking into entering music production, more specifically electric and house. I know there is lots to learn and I'm willing to give it a go. As we all know you can't make a cake if you don't have ingredients.. so I'm here to ask about software and a controller. I gave this place a call here and they said I should be looking at a 49key controller for what I want to be doing.. is that true? I'm also looking at buying abelton for my software program as I've only heard good things about it. Opinions would be appreciated if you guys can recommend anything else

Cheers.
Nathn +

Times thanked
< 0
wont let me put a link down but its from a shop named sound corp in Melbourne
Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
< 16
what you need....

1x Mac
1x DAW Logic or Ableton
1x Midi KB 25-49 (anything novation in my opinion)
1x Soundcard MOTU ultra light 600 from DJW or Focusrite saffire , apogee duet, RME
1x Self Motivation book
99x Energy Drink
100000x Munchies sugar better than salty in my opinion
http://soundcloud.com/ezzcal/ezzcal-dub-04-free-project-file-4-u
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
< 1,860
As a newbie that was serious about getting started, i'd recommend the following steps...

- Buy either Ableton or Fruityloops as they are the quickest and easiest programs to learn and slam your ideas down. They are also expandable with 3rd party plugins (new software synths, effects etc)

- Get a decent, well built controller with basic function, rather than an el cheapo dodgebox with too many buttons. The Axiom 25 is a great one that does everything, is well built and not too expensive ($200)

- Get a sound interface that does 24bit 96khz audio at the least. This takes the load of your computers internal soundcard and gives you maximum audio quality and zero latency (lag). It also means you can plug in stuff like microphones (if there's a preamp onboard you can use better quality condenser mics too) and of course send audio out to your monitor speakers.

Price: $200 - 1000
Brands: Motu, M-Audio... There's loads. Read reviews and try to avoid getting a lemon one!

- Get yourself a decent entry level pair of studio monitor speakers. These are specially designed speakers to represent music in an 'honest' way. In plain English, if they sound good on studio monitors, they should sound good on any sound system.

Price : $500-2000
Brands : You have to decide what you like. Take a cd of music you know really well to somewhere like musiclab, alans music etc and have a listen to their selection of monitor speakers and see which one sounds like you could listen to them for a long time without your ears getting tired.

- Read up on acoustics. This is so you can set your new speakers up in the best way possible. At the most basic level, try to have your speakers away from solid walls on either side. Try to form an equalateral triangle between your speakers and your head (all same distance apart). Have your speakers pointing so that when you sit down, your ears are the same height as the tweeters (top part). If your speakers need to be on stands to achieve this, put them on stands

- There's tonnes of free plugins, sample packs, tutorials and more out there so hit up as many forums as you can and go browsing on youtube for beginners guides to everything and learn, practice, learn!
Nathn +

Times thanked
< 0
Haha.. could you link me to what you suggest for a midi and the soundcard? I do have a mac but I wanna set it up on the pc :/:/

Is it more benfical to have a 49key rather then 25 for wanting to produce house/electro? Will I really need 49keys?

Cheers
Nathn +

Times thanked
< 0
Could you link me a sound interface that I should be looking at?

Cheers
Nathn +

Times thanked
< 0
I currently have audioengine 5+'s. I think i'll stick with them for now
Nathn +

Times thanked
< 0
Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC ??
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
< 1,860

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathn View Post

Haha.. could you link me to what you suggest for a midi and the soundcard? I do have a mac but I wanna set it up on the pc :/:/

Is it more benfical to have a 49key rather then 25 for wanting to produce house/electro? Will I really need 49keys?

Cheers

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Axiom25New.html

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3/

Re 49keys...Only if you think you'll need to jump between octaves when playing your synth (without hitting the octave + - buttorn). I don't think it's essential for anything other than live performance and convenience so dont worry if it saves you $ that you can spend on more important stuff

Your monitors look decent enough for your starter position (if it was me i'd be looking for something not just designed for home listening however. The point of studio monitors is not to flatter the music but to represent it acurately so that when you make music, it translates well to any sound system.)
Nathn +

Times thanked
< 0
could I get away with a MOTU Micro Lite USB MIDI interface or a MOTU MicroBook II USB Audio Interface ??
Nathn +

Times thanked
< 0
anyone?
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146
Yes.
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
< 1,860
The MOTU MicroBook II will suit your needs perfectly for the time being.
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
< 1,860
Also... Get a subscription to either Future Music or Music Tech magazines... Always tonnes of good advice and tutorials
camlv +

Yeah nah

Times thanked
< 513
I completely disagree with heist, if you are planning on writing anything melodic don't get 29 keys!!! I have just upgraded my 49 to 61 because it wasn't big enough. Agree on getting a music magazine though!
http://soundcloud.com/talismusic
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
< 1,860

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlv View Post

I completely disagree with heist, if you are planning on writing anything melodic don't get 29 keys!!! I have just upgraded my 49 to 61 because it wasn't big enough. Agree on getting a music magazine though!

Depends what you're making I guess. My axiom 25 suits me better than my 49 key Carillon that would randomly drift out of tune due to a faulty pitch wheel
Nathn +

Times thanked
< 0
I was suggested to go 49key at least from the shop aswell, just seeing opinions and what not.

Is there any considerable difference with MOTU Micro Lite USB MIDI interface or a MOTU MicroBook II USB Audio Interface? What is it about these that makes it worth the money because I think I would be more inclined to go the cheaper one seeing as I'm just starting out.. Are these something that people who are in the scene are always upgrading? . Are these just used so your able to plug the controller keyboard in and a amplifier of some sort?

Cheers.
Nathn +

Times thanked
< 0
camlv I was just going through your tracks, sound's good mate.
camlv +

Yeah nah

Times thanked
< 513
Thanks man!

Googled the The MOTU Micro Lite USB MIDI and looks likes its just a midi interface which is not what you are after, controller keyboards come with their own usb connector so you don't need a midi interface yet. The microbook is completely different and it's a soundcard. The more money you pay for a soundcard the more connections and better sound quality (DAC, ADC, mic preamp & headphone amp).
http://soundcloud.com/talismusic
Nathn +

Times thanked
< 0
I have a bit to learn about soundcards and the inputs ect. Could you tell me what I need to hookup a 49key controller.. speakers (audio engine 5+'s for now with future plans to get proper ones later on), still same connection and what not? headphones and anything else I might need. A decent brand at a decent price?

Cheers.
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heist9000 View Post

Depends what you're making I guess. My axiom 25 suits me better than my 49 key Carillon that would randomly drift out of tune due to a faulty pitch wheel

Just think of it as analog hehe.
Nathn +

Times thanked
< 0
You guys have any idea when ableton 9 will be released?
Nathn +

Times thanked
< 0
???
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49
No or soon.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »