Sydney

Future presents Paul Oakenfold 'Four Seasons' Tour - Hordern Pavilion . Sun 30 Sept

All About:

All About

+Follow

Add Follows

Stay informed about your favourite artists and events. We'll email you whenever there is new events, news or content posted about your favourite things. Simply select those you want to be notified about View my Follows |  Follow Settings

• Hordern Pavilion
  • Paul Oakenfold
  • More Tba
Cancel Finish

Description:

It has been 3 long years since Paul Oakenfold last graced our shores for the Future Music Festival back in 2009. In that time Paul has been extremely busy; having partnered his widely respected Perfecto label with Armin Van Buuren’s almighty Armada Music, the label has gone from strength...

Page 2 of 3
  Tools
Arclite +

Times thanked
< 25
Just listened to the new EM and its really quite good.

I owe Oakey a lot - got me into EDM in early 90s and the Cream years say 1997 - 2000 was a golden age for electronic music.

Diggin B.Exp - Overmind. Best trance song I've heard in a while.

Seen him a dozen times live and he rarely disappoints. If he plays a little harder those attending will be in for a treat...
ether1988 +

Times thanked
< 98
Would love to know what supports are coming out for this. Could make or break the night...
Scott_FUTURE +

Times thanked
< 182
Less than 4 weeks to go ...

Media Player
Paul Oakenfold Goa mix 1994 - whole 2hrs - YouTube

Looking forward to some big production trance to end the long weekend at The Hordern!
FUTURE ENTERTAINMENT
scott@futureentertainment.com.au
www.futureentertainment.com.au
Scott_FUTURE +

Times thanked
< 182
New mix from Oakie ahead of the Australian tour

FUTURE ENTERTAINMENT
bonesie +

Times thanked
< 0
Any word on set times yet?, Hoping for a 3 + hr set !
NightFlight +

Times thanked
< 0
Secret show will be at Marquee for those who were wondering!

http://www.marqueesydney.com/event/s...-be-announced/
Amosse +

Bring Super8 & Tab to Australia!

Times thanked
< 111
Was just listening to one of Oakenfold's sets and was wondering what other DJ/producers play this kind of stuff:

Media Player
Paul Oakenfold - Live @ Homelands (30-05-1999) - YouTube

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Amosse: 21-Sep-12 at 05:04pm

Shall +

Do you believe in a Godd?

Times thanked
< 18
This will be amazing... Paul Oakenfold is a genius!
Random.

.....Party [once again] in Miami [2013] with the rhythm and the bass!

MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 430

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amosse View Post

Was just listening to one of Oakenfold's sets and was wondering what other DJ/producers play this kind of stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU_yW...feature=fvwrel

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

That is the old school trance and goa trance sound. One for the trance purists. Much of that sound is what has since become modern day psy trance. 1999 was around Oakie's peak. The only DJ who's still around that would've also played that sound back then is probably John 00 Fleming. By 1999 it was getting a bit less goa-centric but that sound is definitely still there amongst some killer trance.
This stuff was groundbreaking. See EDM history like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa_Mix and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfecto_Fluoro

Oakie's carried some of the new melodic psy/progressive psy hybrid stuff in to his new look in the past year which keeps things interesting.

Last edited by MongooseFiend: 22-Sep-12 at 12:27am

Amosse +

Bring Super8 & Tab to Australia!

Times thanked
< 111
And I missed out on J00F
Thanks for the insight, though. I'm really liking this sound.
T-Boy +

http://soundcloud.com/t-boy

Times thanked
< 21
I’m DJing in The Likes of You room at The Hordern this Sunday – so for those of you that will also fancy a bit of House Music, I’ll see you there

T-BOY ::Underground House Music
PULSE RADIO mixes :: http://pulseradio.net/artists/t-boy
BEATPORT :: http://dj.beatport.com/t-boy ::
SoundCloud :: http://soundcloud.com/t-boy :: Mixes and tracks from myself

Mark James +

Times thanked
< 50
Looking like a huge one !
Shall +

Times thanked
< 18
Can't wait for Oakey to hit the decks at the Horden! Especially with tracks like this! (Wish the video quality was better - The track makes up for it though!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=919_A0yxHGI
Random.

Shall +

Times thanked
< 18
Another of my favourite Oakey collaborations! Just a little excited about Oakey on Sunday to say the least!

Media Player
Paul Oakenfold & Marco V - Groove Machine (Original Mix) - YouTube
Random.

taza +

Times thanked
< 2
According to ticketek:
Running times:

MAIN ROOM
Doors Open: 9pm
DJ Ange: 10pm - 11pm
Thomas Knight & Nick Arbor: 11pm - 12pm
VLN: 12am - 1am
PAUL OAKENFOLD: 1am - 3am
MaRLo: 3am - 4am
Binary Finary: 4am - 5am

LIKES OF YOU
Doors Open: 9pm
Damien Osborne vs. Nick Robins: 10pm - 11.30pm
Danny Lang vs. Digit: 11.30pm - 12.30pm
Matt Cahill: 12.30pm - 1.30am
T-Boy: 1.30am - 2.30am
Mars Monero vs. Reno: 2.30am - 3.30am
Sam Arellano: 3.30am - 4.30am

james223 +

Times thanked
< 150
2 hrs.... Should be 3 tbh.
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 505
oakey's probably a bit old for 3 hrs, too hard on his back
Mark James +

Times thanked
< 50
Oakey has arrived in Adelaide and can't wait to rock Sydney !!!
Shall +

Times thanked
< 18
Was wishing for 3 hours as well.. but will settle for two. Bring it on Mr Future.

If he starts with Gabriel and Dresden's Remix of Southern Sun I'll be in heaven. ;0)
Random.

ether1988 +

Times thanked
< 98
Went into this night with low expectations....and sad to say they were thoroughly met.

Oakenfolds set was gash. Track selection was average, had no flow or direction and his mixing....wow, i had heard he was bad but last night was woeful. It was embarrassing to watch frankly. Made the mixes that sounded ok just a little suspicious frankly. He spent way to much time talking to the folks behind the decks and pointing to people in the crowd (although the crowd was that small that i think nearly everyone got some personal attention from the man).

Marlo played your standard nu trance electro sounds....which really didn't fit in with his time slot. He was at J00F a few weeks back...obviously didn't pick up any tips.

Thank god Binary Finary closed...playing some proper trance tunes. Enjoyed a couple of the classics and i think the rest of the crowd did. It was a shame Oakenfold decided it was a good idea to play for more than 2 hours as this ate into the final set.

I hope Future learnt a lesson last night. Half baked tight arse line ups just don't attract the numbers. Must have only been a couple of hundred people there by the end.
RoccoSiffredi +

Times thanked
< 0
The crowd was abysmal. The worst I have ever seen. Gangs of absolute fcukwits with their shirts off fighting. Trashy and unfriendly it basically signals the end for this formula type of gig. Oakie was ok. A couple of decent tunes around the middle but mostly it was contrived. Way too much pointing at the crowd like some sort of Vegas routine. Would have like to have stayed for Binary Finary but it was too much hard work which says it all. The police presence was a joke. The cops' mad faces really add to the night lol fuck it really was shithouse I'm just glad I was around in the early 90's to around 2002 because it was WAAAY better in every respect back then.

Just outta interest........Can someone please list a couple of the classics BF played?
ether1988 +

Times thanked
< 98
From memory they played..
1998 (not sure which mix)
Nu NRG - Dreamland
Cosmic Gate - Fire Wire
Something_Good +

Times thanked
< 14
Wow. I'm from Melbourne and came into this threading hoping to read some good reviews, definitely not what I expected.

Here's hoping Oakie pulls out the goods for Melbourne.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moisty

I'd conquer my fear of taking it up the ass for $30,000

Quote:

Originally Posted by realkirill

it was like an annoying drunk girl thats taken control of an ipod at a house party

emertons_madskill +

Times thanked
< 4
Agree with above. Paul didnt seem to decide what direction he wanted to take the set. Because of this he never connected with the crowd. Trainwrecks all over the place...for someone that has been DJing for so long that is just inexcusable. Im glad he is back to playing trance but its still not good enough. A night to forget unfortunately.
jdoodle +

is back by dope demand

Times thanked
< 1,945

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

It's a big gamble but Future probably know something we don't..

nah

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoneyhuh View Post

Dont bother arguing with Big Eddie Deepchild.

He doesnt grasp the logic behind helping people less fortunate than himself.

RoccoSiffredi +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by ether1988 View Post

From memory they played..
1998 (not sure which mix)
Nu NRG - Dreamland
Cosmic Gate - Fire Wire

Thanks mate - really good.

Would've loved to have heard ANY version of 1998 frankly.
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 505

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkdogz View Post

I don't like to be negative towards events but even with bbk's resurrection in your video this is going to potentially be the biggest fizzer in Sydney in a while. That you have to list a career resume in the video shows you're already in for a tough sell.

Would his ego not take anything less than the Hordern? Cos Scott, you can't have srsly made that decision? you're a businessman that wants to make money.

Sounds like I wasn't far off.
Hasaparty +

Times thanked
< 152

Quote:

Sounds like I wasn't far off.

in my opinion i think you were pretty far off

there would have been between 2000-3000 people at the event and the music was solid

i thought Oakenfold was great , i was standing behind him on the stage and he was really working it from where i could see

mixing was tight and & track selection surprised me to be honest as i was expecting him to have gone really commercial

i had a great time at this event ( and no i had no involvement in the actual running of the event , i was there as a punter and to see Oakenfold live for this first time )

i would say well done Scott for a great show
April 26 - Defected in The House ft HUXLEY & NICE7 - Ivy Pool

May 9 - Fred V & Grafix @ Oxford Art Factory
thecube +

Times thanked
< 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasaparty View Post

there would have been between 2000-3000 people at the event and the music was solid

i thought Oakenfold was great , i was standing behind him on the stage and he was really working it from where i could see

mixing was tight and & track selection surprised me to be honest as i was expecting him to have gone really commercial

i had a great time at this event ( and no i had no involvement in the actual running of the event , i was there as a punter and to see Oakenfold live for this first time )

Mate, I'd be extremely surprised if there was 2-3k people at this (even at the peak it felt like there would be lucky to be 1k people there but like someone mentioned above that easily would've dropped down to a couple of hundred as the night progressed).

I would also agree with the above assessments that his set was a train wreck.. Hasa, I understand you're not going to bag your own event but to describe his mixing as "tight" is ridiculous. Although I do agree with you that the track selection was surprising (but not in a good way).

I think this was just a greedy event.. in terms of the oversized venue, the lack of (good) support acts and the price of the tickets.. it just felt like a massive money grub.
jdoodle +

is back by dope demand

Times thanked
< 1,945
haasparty with joke post of the month

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoneyhuh View Post

Dont bother arguing with Big Eddie Deepchild.

He doesnt grasp the logic behind helping people less fortunate than himself.

Hasaparty +

Times thanked
< 152

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecube View Post

Mate, I'd be extremely surprised if there was 2-3k people at this (even at the peak it felt like there would be lucky to be 1k people there but like someone mentioned above that easily would've dropped down to a couple of hundred as the night progressed).

I would also agree with the above assessments that his set was a train wreck.. Hasa, I understand you're not going to bag your own event but to describe his mixing as "tight" is ridiculous. Although I do agree with you that the track selection was surprising (but not in a good way).

I think this was just a greedy event.. in terms of the oversized venue, the lack of (good) support acts and the price of the tickets.. it just felt like a massive money grub.

this wasnt my event

i was there as a punter as well

i had a great time

weekender +

Times thanked
< 398
How many does the Horden hold?
"Old enough to know better"
gowmesh +

Times thanked
< 5
Haha,,, very nasty crowd... Almost every1 was @ the edge of losing their shit... seems like was full of bulldogs fans haha... Can some1 tell Oakie is really grand pa of all the djs.... it seemed like he didnt know how to use the mixer... looping and jumping unexpectedly from track to track....
Hasaparty +

Times thanked
< 152

Quote:

Originally Posted by weekender View Post

How many does the Horden hold?

walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 505

Quote:

Well it's good you had a good time but putting this on at the hifi or a club even and him playing for another hour or two would've been good options. A 2 hour trance set is what you expect at a festival, not by a DJ headling his own comeback night. I'm actually hanging out for a good trance event atm so was part of the market for this but am gonna wait for A&B in Jan.
Scott_FUTURE +

Times thanked
< 182

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am sorry some of you didn't enjoy it more but from our point of view it was a great event.

I thought the production and sound were great and the crowd were really into it with old and new fans (and I walked from front to back throughout the night).

The pic above gives you an idea of the numbers. Full video footage and pics coming soon.

Thanks to everyone who came along and made it an amazing night
FUTURE ENTERTAINMENT
edmundpw +

Times thanked
< 20
I had a great time. A proper trance set for people who love trance, not trouse.

It's a shame that Sydney doesn't have a venue between the Metro and the Hordern in size, as the former is too small for events like this and the latter is too large. But the idea that there were only 1000 there is ridiculous, as the picture above shows.

PS - sound and production great, but would have been so much better with some smoke and lasers.
lavelle72 +

Times thanked
< 18
I enjoyed what he played for around 30 mins or so, but overall didn't do a whole lot for me and ended up getting a bit bored...there were definitely 2 or 3 trainwreck mixes that i recall
My Mixcloud
MQTSSS +

Times thanked
< 0
Sound was awful. Every second song had a different level.
Couldn't even hear Marlo's set let alone feel it.
Very limited light show..6 hours of strobe lights anyone? Literally every build up before the drop was the strobe light. No lasers as well.
What a huge dissappointment.
NightFlight +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Well it's good you had a good time but putting this on at the hifi or a club even and him playing for another hour or two would've been good options. A 2 hour trance set is what you expect at a festival, not by a DJ headling his own comeback night. I'm actually hanging out for a good trance event atm so was part of the market for this but am gonna wait for A&B in Jan.

No need to wait that long!

http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/aust..._for_2012_tour

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...39432027_n.jpg
ether1988 +

Times thanked
< 98

Quote:

Your opinion is hardly that of just a punter given you probably got given a ticket and organise events in collaboration with future....so even if you did think it was average i doubt you would come on a forum and actually say so.

I thought the sound was pretty average as well...quiet. I know the hordern has a turn down at like 4 am or something but i could easily have a convo with the people near me without having to yell.

That photo shows the middle of the crowd (where everyone naturally congregates) and is not indicative of the numbers that actually attended. What it doesn't show is the huge amount of room on the floor, especially around the sides. The side curtains were drawn...i have been to enough gigs at the hordern to know this only happens when ticket sales are low.
taza +

Times thanked
< 2
Overall the night was ok,The mix had no direction I kept on drifting in and out of the mix, mixing wasn't too bad but there were some train wrecks I heard at least 4-5, towards the end of his set he put a few great tracks together and then just totally fucked the flow, I don't understand it and I also can not stand the super bright white strobe type lights, its like I was having an epileptic fit in there very uncomfortable, who the fuck thinks that is a good light show I hate it, lasers and colored moving heads are 10 times better. I think the sound was not too bad some songs had different levels but overall it was not too loud which contributes to a better sound, some events have been heaps louder but not better.
james223 +

Times thanked
< 150
Overall the night was average. Lucky I was there with a tone of good friends so still had a good time.
Some pretty ordinary errors early on with the warm ups... especially when the sound cut out during a set..

For what Paul Oakenfold makes himself out to be, his flow and direction was really no where to be seen and was unable to read the crowd. And some tracks I'd thought he'd absolutely smash out like Full Moon Party, Resurrection and surrender (Protoculture remix) didn't get played which was odd because those tracks were popular recently but still had that edgy style of trance.. He did play surrender but was another remix early on..
But I really enjoyed Neelix - Expect What, massive track.
It took me to get into the grove of it but was solid driving trance midway through the set which was sick but again it kinda dropped off towards the end and went flat which was odd...

Production was utterly disappointing for what I was expecting. Future got extremly lazy. EVERYONE was expecting lazors and similar production to Godskitchen but instead we got couple of strobes and fireworks. A strong set of lazors would of changed the whole night and the vibe.

The crowd up the back was pretty dodgy heard couple of fights which is shit as to hear, but I thought the front part wasn't bad, alot of the usual trance heads all up for it. Crowd would of been lucky to push much over 2k I'd say.

Marlo showed why he is Australia's best trance dj at the moment. Enjoyed his set alot but sound was pretty shit.

Sad part of the night was that guy ODing at the front during his set. Utterly killed the vibe and a sigh of relief was seen when he managed to regain his feet and get taken out by medics and security.
Way too many cops at the front wasting our states money having a chat with each other.

Future, why do we only get 2hrs when melbourne gets 3. Don't cut corners on production when we all know what you are really capable of.

Last edited by james223: 02-Oct-12 at 11:27pm

DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
< 1,725

Quote:

I'm actually hanging out for a good trance event atm so was part of the market for this but am gonna wait for A&B in Jan.

A&B are absolute gash these days. Unless you want cheesy boring rubbish, steer clear of that gig. Lame breakdown followed by lame vocal followed by lame breakdown etc

John 00 Fleming and a small group of others are pushing some quality sounds. Other than that, Psy scene is where its at for real Trance.

Check out Sonic Species and Tristan @ Strawberry Fields.
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 430
A god amongst men
angy +

DEFQON.1!!!!!!!!!!!

Times thanked
< 240
Ouch. Going on the (lack of) quality of his latest 'Planet Perfecto' comp is, this thread sounds about right...

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverh View Post

Angy: All About The PLUR

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverh View Post

more PLUR please Angy.

walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 505

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrugfuctDonkey View Post

A&B are absolute gash these days. Unless you want cheesy boring rubbish, steer clear of that gig. Lame breakdown followed by lame vocal followed by lame breakdown etc

John 00 Fleming and a small group of others are pushing some quality sounds. Other than that, Psy scene is where its at for real Trance.

Check out Sonic Species and Tristan @ Strawberry Fields.

Thx for the tip I love some psy, and the person who recommended Gareth Emery as well - always keen to hear Mistral
angy +

DEFQON.1!!!!!!!!!!!

Times thanked
< 240
^^walkdogz, don't listen to the haters, A&B and J00F are like chalk and cheese. See them both of you want the spectrum, but Anjunabeats are still the best that the more bigroom side of trance has to offer, A&B just play on the more "up" side of the label's spectrum.

As for "Psy scene is where its at for real Trance", it's all sounded like utter gash to me personally since day one and bored me to tears - I'd much rather spend my time listening to house and techno than suffer that stuff, and if that was all trance had to offer then I'd turn my back on it completely. But that's just me!
mr flauge +

Times thanked
< 36
As an open minded music lover, I would like to say that I was overall dissapointed with the night.

After attending my first trance event in Sydney last year at Godskitchen, after witnessing the madness at ASOT500 in Miami, I was blown away by the production and lasers that this genre of music offers.

Although this years track selections were much better, the production was shit house. The lasers last year blew me away, and I was hoping to witness a similar show this year.

Overall I can;t be as pissed off as most of you on here, because I had just had a great day at the Fuzzy run festival, and I just shrugged the dissapointment off at 2:30am, and went home.

But I could see how so many people would be pissed off, if that was there only partying they had planned for the weekend.

Piss poor effort future, but I'm assuming you would have made money purely from the name "Paul Oakenfold"

I will not be attending any of your events again, until you can promise me you will lift your game.

And that includes 2 hour sets at the LOY tent at Future next year
DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
< 1,725

Quote:

Thx for the tip I love some psy, and the person who recommended Gareth Emery as well - always keen to hear Mistral

He's a cheese master as well these days
Page 2 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »