Gaming, Computers, Phones, and Gadgets

DayZ

Tools
Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
< 524
I just watched some YouTube clips of this. You can do some funny shit. Might get it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670
need to find another gun over my shitty sniper.

snipers are WAY toooo long range.
http://soundcloud.com/jarrardscott
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,176
Can't go wrong with a AK kobra, ammo everywhere. Only downside its rather loud.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,043
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
The more I read this thread, the more this game sounds infuriating and difficult to enjoy. And the more I want to try it.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670
the 'alphaness' of it is a bit of a putoff tbh.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,176

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

The more I read this thread, the more this game sounds infuriating and difficult to enjoy. And the more I want to try it.

Don't let it put you off, working as a team or lone wolf the idea is brilliant.
It's the only game once seeing a fellow player raises your irl heart beat (too much vegies) and moral choices come in to play (hide/communicate/kill).
Last game I had, I was alone and hiding just outside of town, noticed a survivor run into town, shadowed him and played the predator snarl over direct comms
Media Player
Predators - It's Here - YouTube
He went straight to prone. As I had no weapons (new spawn) apart from a axe, I came behind him and sunk my axe into his head.

Will definitely be putting time into "The war Z" once that comes out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

the 'alphaness' of it is a bit of a putoff tbh.

Uh, 'cause it is a alpha release

It's a mod, get over it. If it was a full release, I'd see where you're coming from.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
Downloadin'.
Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
< 3,987
Does it work on a mac?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,176
No Mac's allowed.

Install windows and you're good to go.
Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
< 3,987
Not sure if I'm prepared to go that far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670
lol UMGAAWANA calm down.

im saying the alpha bugs are annoying.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
Finally had it up and running by about 12:30am, enough for a few minutes play before bed. It's a strange comparison to make, but it appeals to me for lots of the same reasons Dear Esther does. Isolation, eerie open space, and no prompting or direction. Just you deciding where to go. But instead of Jorah Mormont reading you a ghost story, actual things fuck you up. It adds the things that part of you wished was in Dear Esther.

First run: Spawn. Crouch. Scan horizon carefully for a few minutes. Creep from shrub to shrub. Solitary zombie appears, run, run like fuck. Run for five minutes, lose him. Then notice that I'm bleeding. Finally fumble into my pack wondering if I should morphine or bandage first. Pass out. Die.

Second run: Spawn, crouch, scan etc. No one around. There's a lighthouse up on the hill. Sprint along beach, then painstakingly crawl up the hill and watch the entry for a while. Deserted. Get up and run like a bitch until I'm inside. Climb ladder to top deck, no gear to be found. Fuck. Decide to stand lookout for a while. Another lone survivor makes his way across a field in the distance. Wondering if he has spotted me. Fall over railing somehow. Die.

I like it.

Last edited by Gruso: 02-Aug-12 at 03:03pm

Reason: sp

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670
fall over railing LOL
agvicsa +

Times thanked
< 373
Try, 30 minutes crawling and staking out a house and avoiding 6 Zombies. Only to find most house doors are not openable. Curse the sun and run into forrest.
Hard-drinking, party-rebel, known for his irreverent attitude, wild antics & a flair for turning friends into enemies, is asking for an unspecified amount of compensatory, exemplary & punitive damages
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
^ Missed your message last night. Yeah I was foeveraloning, as is my tendency.
agvicsa +

Times thanked
< 373
Not to worry, i thought you were installing the mod and game.

Have you found the "Num Enter key yet" for camera change? Took me 4 hours plus a youtube video to work it out.
Hard-drinking, party-rebel, known for his irreverent attitude, wild antics & a flair for turning friends into enemies, is asking for an unspecified amount of compensatory, exemplary & punitive damages
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
Nope, cheers. Was desperately trying to figure out how to look behind when I was running for my life.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670
all your camera controls are on your numberpad basically.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,176

Quote:

Originally Posted by agvicsa View Post

Not to worry, i thought you were installing the mod and game.

Have you found the "Num Enter key yet" for camera change? Took me 4 hours plus a youtube video to work it out.

Going into 3rd person is only available on some (most) servers, Arma is one of those games where you really need two keyboards to play, SO MANY BUTTONS!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Nope, cheers. Was desperately trying to figure out how to look behind when I was running for my life.

In third person hold Alt and you can mouse view while running.

Also, Morphine is for when you have a broken leg, not needed when you are bleeding. Painkillers are for when you go into shock (the tool tip for this is rather vague) and I'm sure you can imagine what a bandage is for.

http://dayzdb.com/map Should help both Agvisca and yourself finding all the lootz.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,176
Ps. When you spawn, your starting point is "typed" up in the lower right, that'll help you get your bearings as to where you are on the map.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
Fuck this game. A few more hours played, a few more deaths, haven't managed to pick up any gear yet. Got super excited when I found an abandoned tent in the woods. Nothing in it. Then I broke my leg climbing rocks. Bled to death.

I'm going back in. Dig this game.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
Finally some good gear and proper action. Finding your first hatchet changes everything. Still managed a few stupid deaths, then stumbled across a campsite with an M4A1 & G17, pile of ammo, NVGs, compass. Fuck yeah. (Not sure if it's normal to find a stash like that, or if I raided some poor ****'s base camp.)
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
Ah fuck, just got Thunderdomed. Lost all my things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpWyQ...eature=related (normal game until 2:58, then THUNDERDOOOOME).
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,176
Lol
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
So, zombies can climb ladders and throw you off them.

Last edited by Gruso: 05-Aug-12 at 07:14pm

crabman +

I might be a **** but I'm not a fucking ****.

Times thanked
< 8,299
Thunderdome looks fucking annoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiron View Post

How about you people actually learn a little thing called having a fucking conscious and not being heartless sociopath you piece of shit.

الاستماع إلى ... ال التنفس المدينة.

اسم اللعبة هو ضوء يعمل.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,043
Gruso, have you considered self-flagellation as an alternative?
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
Dude it's awesome. I shudder to pull out the cliche but it's close to being the game I've been waiting for.* Pure stealth, and real terror when it goes bad. At first you're too scared to leave the woods, so you scavenge what you can there. Then you learn that you can move through overrun villages undetected. Laying in the grass as you watch zombies stumble past at arm's length is crazy shit.

Eventually your luck runs out and you start again. You lose what you're carrying, but it's not like you wipe a bunch of character progress, because that doesn't exist. You're always the same vulnerable meatbag, but each time you restart with more survival knowledge.

*That said I may tire of it within a week.
crabman +

Times thanked
< 8,299
Are there any overarching goals other than survival? Like a destination you're working towards?

Quote:

How about you people actually learn a little thing called having a fucking conscious and not being heartless sociopath you piece of shit.

اسم اللعبة هو ضوء يعمل.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
Nope. You generally spawn on the south shoreline, so the defacto goal is to head north as you gear up. But you don't have to do that either.
agvicsa +

Times thanked
< 373
I think you need to play it with a group Gruso. It heightens the playing experience 10 fold. I played with a mate on Sat night and she loved it. The meet up was the hardest part, because you had to find food and drink to make the meet up trek in game, which also meant finding your first weapon to protect yourself to find said food and drink. After the meetup and the trek up north, we got sniped by other players which was frustrating as hell but so addictive you want to play it again.

What I wish I knew what I know now.

1) Find a good Server and stick with it. Position saving if you die.
2) Find a Clan or a mate to play with.
3) Instructions on how to use in game tools. I just learnt how to use the Hatchet ffs.
4) Instructions on how to use keyboard commands. This game does need 2 keyboards and a hand held controller for vehicles.
5) Shoot any player that comes your way.

I have a feeling that when the game goes legit it's going to fail hard so I'm enjoying it now the best I can.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
Yeah, it'll be time to group up v.soon.

How much luck have you had getting a group onto a good server? Aus/NZ servers were rammed all weekend, or private. Then the load times, oh god. So most of the time I was getting on aZn and Euro servers with hardly any players on. Good way to learn the ropes without getting sniped, but yeah I'd rather stick to one server going forward.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,043
Man, this sounds like the Haunted Cathedral level of the original Thief. Played over and over and over again.

In other words, fuck that, I don't like brown trousers.
agvicsa +

Times thanked
< 373
Tell me about the server issues. Haven't been able to find an Aus or NZ server at all. I found an US server that catered for regular playing for noobs and in general for helping my friend with her first time playing skills. I think from memory it was called "102communicator" or something like that. I noticed the Aus servers have the 1.6 update version, which doesn't work for my 1.7 update version. I hope to get on the Aus servers very soon. Ima going to look on the internet to find a good server to play on and stick with it. Let me know what you find.

I'll be trying to use the "Direct communication" channel for possible pug playings, but I have a feeling I'll be griefed. "Don't shoot! I have a spare Pepsi can for y....... sh1t-t1ts!!!! .... thanks for shooting me and taking the Pepsi can anyways"

Have look at this too.
http://www.dayzcommander.com

Last edited by agvicsa: 06-Aug-12 at 01:20pm

UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,176
The Au/nz servers are usually terrible, jump on the US servers for faster load, ping doesn't really affect imo.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,176

Quote:

Originally Posted by agvicsa View Post

I'll be trying to use the "Direct communication" channel for possible pug playings, but I have a feeling I'll be griefed. "Don't shoot! I have a spare Pepsi can for y....... sh1t-t1ts!!!! .... thanks for shooting me and taking the Pepsi can anyways"

You're gonna get griefed son.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,409
Is there a free version of this I can play to evaluate if I want to be put through this kind of torture?
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,176
yea, nah.

May as well wait for this: http://thewarz.com/
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,409
Is this pretty much it, just getting your arse handed to you by neckbeards?

Media Player
Man on the Hill - DayZ Sniping, 30 Kills in 6 Minutes - YouTube
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
agvicsa +

Times thanked
< 373
Yeah pretty much like any other FPS.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,176
Nah, On a 15km² map you're more likely not to see anyone unless you're at the major towns or at the hot spots for military gear.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
[haven't watched vid]

In maybe 12 hours play I haven't been killed by any other players. I've had a few encounters with obvious newbies like myself. One stuck with me until I found a deer stand, then nabbed the gun before I could >.< He was nice enough not to shoot me, just ran with me for a while. There were a few other unarmed guys, I saved one from a zombie, the others inadvertently led zombies to me (see the PA strip Ian posted).

Granted, I've mostly been on near-empty servers. But it's proof that if you want to avoid PVP and play pure zombie survival, you can.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/08/the...-playing-dayz/

far out its ramped up!
TroyShaun +

not a user.

Times thanked
< 410
this game sounds like Oregon Trail for the modern age, is there a release date for the full game? Alpha is a bit intense for me.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,176
A lot of people are getting confused, it's a MOD for a full release called Arma 2, which is a buggy game with terrible AI which makes things worse. It will never become a full release.

Go here if you want a full release game on the same premise but better.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
but... but... DayZ Standalone Title To Release By Christmas

@TroyShaun If you're worried that installing the mod is a hassle, worry not. All you do is buy ARMA 2 CO and run it once, then install Six Updater Suite which takes care of everything.
crabman +

Times thanked
< 8,299
Its what?

Quote:

اسم اللعبة هو ضوء يعمل.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,368
Crab[edit]moment[gone].

Last edited by Gruso: 07-Aug-12 at 04:03pm

UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,176
He want's to follow the minecraft model

He better work fast because The War Z is coming and its gonna be free to play.

IMO the whole engine the game runs on needs to be started from scratch.

Edit, To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me that The War Z is his (Hall) creation and Dayz is a testing bed.

Last edited by UMGAWA: 07-Aug-12 at 04:10pm

« Previous Thread Next Thread »