Food, Photography and Travel

Post a creative photo you have taken. Take 4.

Closed thread
  Tools
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245

Quote:

Originally Posted by autumn acid View Post

Whilst the idea of finding these hidden locations is romantic, Sydney encompasses 4,000 square kilometres. Can understand the need to keep these places on the down low, but a private message with a strong recommendation not to blurt out the location would suffice.

You would be surprised how easy it is to find some of these places tho, a bit of thought into town planning and some educated guesswork can go a long way

But there's also a bit of social responsibility - people die doing urbex. Of the guys I know who do it, the amount of prep and reconnaissance that goes into some of these locations makes you realize that these places require a respect that some people just wouldn't understand.

I would find it hard to live with myself if I told someone how to get into a particular location and they died trying to check it out themselves...
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
< 2,426
The social responsibility thing goes both ways. What about if someone sees the pictures and goes out searching tunnels without this knowledge thinking it's safe, only to die because no-one has helped them understand the risks?

I used to do a lot of BASE jumping and I used to try and help out anyone who came asking about how to get into the sport because I know of plenty of people who've bounced because no-one would take them under their wing so they went out anyway without the right knowledge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

Last edited by base615: 11-Jul-12 at 08:33pm

Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
< 3,498
KarlG, that tunnel shot is FANTASTIC! Love it, keep up the good work man.
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245

Quote:

Originally Posted by base615 View Post

The social responsibility thing goes both ways. What about if someone sees the pictures and goes out searching tunnels without this knowledge thinking it's safe, only to die because no-one has helped them understand the risks?

I used to do a lot of BASE jumping and I used to try and help out anyone who came asking about how to get into the sport because I know of plenty of people who've bounced because no-one would take them under their wing so they went out anyway without the right knowledge.

Fair call, but that's also how I started - I saw the pics, and went out to find them. Nobody took us (we have a buddy system going on) under any wings, and we didn't have a clue what we were doing either...

If we died, it would be our own fault
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245
Having said that - I've been approached by a few people, and after some chatting/qualifying I'm more than happy to tell people where to go to find a neat shot if I think they're not gunna fuck it up for themselves or anyone else

I won't show em the door, but I'll let em know enough to find it
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245
You can try deduce a bit of info from the shot itself too - that tunnel looks fairly newish as older tunnels and whatnot seem to be brick and certainly not that shape so def modern, wired and lit so it's prob not a drainage system. I thought service tunnel for vehicles but I think I see a step on the floor so prob not for vehicles either. Maybe pedestrian? Could be ventilation fans In the wall there? I'm no engineer, but is that shape a style of compression structure? The angles in the wall throw me

Maybe an emergency exit tunnel, or perhaps it could be part of a large bridge or building? The corner isn't too sharp so maybe it's running alongside an underground road... Doesnt Sydney have a newish tunnel that runs under the harbor?

See, fun!
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245

Quote:

Originally Posted by base615 View Post

That shit is just plain nuts! I would consider BASE jumping to be in a different league to popping manholes and opening doors that aren't meant to be opened. I would say your chances of death are increased when you leap off buildings and stuff moreso going under them! Much respect to your balls of steel!
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 317
social responsibility is a small part but you cant really baby every body all the time. the nitty gritty of it is this

Quote:

they're not gunna fuck it up for themselves or anyone else

yea its a bit selfish but justifiable and just like anything, its always makes it better the fewer ppl that know about it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthykins View Post

I get the absolute screaming shits with landscape photogs who refuse to release the location of some of their shots. YOU DON'T OWN THE FUCKING OCEAN...JUST TELL ME WHERE THE FUCK IT IS?!?

no but they prolly spent many early mornings and hours of driving to find the right spot and right time of day/year to shoot it. the internet really has made ppl lazy with some kind of entitlement to information. no one really needs to tell anyone anything, its just that some ppl do share (which is great). tho its usually only after they feel confident enough in themselves and they are "above"/moved on from the knowledge/locations theyre sharing.
i used to get alot of randoms pm'ing me on here or flickr asking about what settings i use for photos in clubs/festivals etc and i was more than happy to help out and give them a bit of coaching, complete strangers mind you but id get barely a thank you, most of the time no reply at all. so yea, me me me, gimme gimme gimme, got what i want, seeya wouldnt wanna be ya. fvck that i aint no door mat.

in saying that of course id love to know where some spots are and i have helped and will continue to help ppl (and post information that may be helpful, especially when it comes to travel) but simply demanding ppl give it up is a bit presumptuous.

ps. base jumping. fvck that for a right joke
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
KarlG +

Times thanked
< 50
Haha wow, I didn't think posting those pics would lead to a general discussion of urbex & the secrecy a lot of us tend to operate under with locations we've explored.

There are a number of issues around finding locations and just telling people where they are. Very low down on the priority list, however, is "keeping the locations to ourselves" - personally, I don't see why I should keep something to myself purely so that I can be one of the few with photos of the location.

That said, in my view the main issues around just providing the location details to anyone who asks are:

Safety - as previously mentioned, these locations are most certainly not safe. Whether it's the danger of flooding in drains / tunnels, a rusted walkway in a factory which could give way at any moment (I've personally seen this happen and almost fallen as a result), the danger of chemical exposure in some of the industrial places, the danger of injuring yourself getting into a location (more on that next), or just being on unprotected scaffolding 40 stories above the city.

Legality/access - ultimately, urbex is tresspassing. As such, I'm careful not to give out any information about locations to anyone I don't know, as you never know exactly who you're talking to. Plus, accessing some of these places is incredibly difficult and can require things like risky climbing (incl. use of rope), specific tools, lock picking, or even having access to the actual key for the location. In some cases, it wouldn't matter if I told you where a location was, you likely wouldn't be able to get into it without specific knowledge of how to get in, as well as the stupidity to attempt some pretty dangerous methods of accessing.

Preseving the location - there have been plenty of times that I've seen a great location ruined by scrappers, graffiti artists or just people who don't cover their tracks. Case in point is the pic Skerik posted above - that's actually the inside of a bridge. Getting in took a fair amount of work finding an entry point, then the same amount of work covering our tracks. We had that place available in perfect condition (as it is in that pic) for a month or so after it was built. Then graffiti artists got in, didn't cover their tracks (i.e. using wire snippers to make a really obvious hole in a vent) and tagged the place - not only was the quality of the location wrecked due to the graff, within a week it was locked up so tight that there currently isn't a way in at all.

Those are the main reasons from my point of view. Add to that the fact that sometimes finding one of these spots takes months of searching, plus ages trying to get in, and you'll start to see why I'm not generally willing to give out location details.

That said, I'm perfectly happy to take my mates out to locations and show them, or tell them where something easily accessible and low-sensitivity is so they can explore it for themselves.
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post

Case in point is the pic Skerik posted above - that's actually the inside of a bridge.

Ha! Thought so - the road runs on top of that tunnel doesn't it? I noticed when the new Gateway bridge up here was being built there was a large opening running under the road and the shape was very similar to that tunnel pic posted. Now to get into it...

Thanks for your comments KarlG - if you're ever up this way make sure you hit me up and we'll go play somewhere
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245

CRW_1916 by Captain.Terrific, on Flickr
Ruthykins +

Stay awake little missfit

Times thanked
< 3,879
disagreeing with a Mod. This user has been permabanned

Fair call...but you know I'm lazy & retarded... a deadly combination
Ya baloney
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthykins View Post

disagreeing with a Mod.

That's a paddlin'
liberabit +

One of these days you'll wake up dead

Times thanked
< 2,893
it's all good, Ruthy hits like a girl
This is no love song and it serves no use, but if you want to sing along to some verbal abuse
It might make you feel better and it's good for the soul, take four letters and let's rock n roll
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245
Sam wanted some shots of himself sitting down enjoying the view along the river

Sam Sits by Captain.Terrific, on Flickr

He likes it in the big smoke

Sam by Captain.Terrific, on Flickr
scorpionx1 +

Times thanked
< 0
from my old balcony after a rain.
  • Attached Thumbnails

Click image for larger version

Name:	thirsty plant.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	35192  
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 317
pretty sure i saw sam out the other night. bastard straight up ignored me tho

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

it's all good, Ruthy hits like a girl

even better when shes heavily sedated like she was the other night :p actually what happened to you ruthy? i cant remember you leaving... tho i cant remember leaving either ...or getting back to the hotel :S
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
Ruthykins +

Times thanked
< 3,879

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_pezman View Post

even better when shes heavily sedated like she was the other night :p actually what happened to you ruthy? i cant remember you leaving... tho i cant remember leaving either ...or getting back to the hotel :S

haha - the state I was in on Sunday indicates bad things happened Saturday night... very bad things
Ya baloney
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 317
some pix of a wall

went the 70s kung fu movie on this one
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
Nice walls.
KarlG +

Times thanked
< 50
Pezman - LOVE the composition & tonality of that first shot, really nice stuff!
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
< 7,082
+1, jagged it with those clouds giving you such nice tones. kudos for not turning the contrast and saturation sliders to 10 and ruining it like so many people seem to do these days

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

beatfreakn +

Times thanked
< 80
[IMG] Looking down from the ceiling by nharmond, on Flickr[/IMG]
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,082
that just made me dizzy

Quote:

Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
Cool
beatfreakn +

Times thanked
< 80
haha that was not my intention!

Should I keep or scrap this photo. I cannot view it objectively, and I want it to be good but I am not sure that it is, it may be boring. Opinions?

624 copy by nharmond, on Flickr
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245
I like it
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
9/10.
Keep.
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,082
love it. the crop of the head juxtaposed with the head shadows is brilliant. perhaps try a tighter crop that gets rid of that shadow on the left?

Quote:

KarlG +

Times thanked
< 50
Keep it for sure. Exactly what rancho said - the headless subject with the shadows of many other heads = winning.

I also love the progression of shadows - if you cropped off the big shadow & little shadow on the left (i.e. the two last ones), leaving only one shadow on the left of the person, and then flipped the image on the horizontal (so it went left-right, smallest - largest, with a person almost at the end), it would be reminiscent of the evolution of humans (ape-neanderthal-etc-human) http://www.theadvancedapes.com/uploa...25221_orig.gif ...

...or I could be seeing things again, either way!
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,082
i say leave it as is, and have it as a tongue in cheek way of saying humans are de-evolving

Quote:

KarlG +

Times thanked
< 50
that works too...
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 317

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancho View Post

+1, jagged it with those clouds giving you such nice tones. kudos for not turning the contrast and saturation sliders to 10 and ruining it like so many people seem to do these days

thanks guys, looking fwd to getting some printed up nice and big (:

funny you should mention the contrast, normally i like a good dollop (in moderation of course) but ive been finding alot lately that less can be more. still had to slap some "black" to bring back some detail since it was a typical beijing day of haziness :S

bf - diggin that floor shot, it almost looks staged but it would never really be something thats staged
im actually going to go against the grain on the other one and say i wish it was wider so you could see more of the shadows bodies and more of them. get the whole mickey mouse fantasia thing going cue orchestra
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
krewsin +

doof

Times thanked
< 372
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
Woulda been cool(er) if the car height lined up with the ledge, trippy forced perspective.
krewsin +

doof

Times thanked
< 372
would have been a disaster in terms of skate photography. i was hoping the car would have been forward a few feet, but thats the best i came up with.
spot was hard as hell to shoot at.
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245
speaking of cars - went out to Queensland Raceway last weekend to check out the v8 superthings

they go mighty fast

CC and Dry by Captain.Terrific, on Flickr
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,198
what happened to the rest of the colour?
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245
It fell off.

Had a mate say it looks like a screengrab from a PS1 game - lol I think?
Ruthykins +

Times thanked
< 3,879
Taim for new fred
Ya baloney
beatfreakn +

Times thanked
< 80
Thanks for the input. I ended up cropping the shadow off on the left and I think it looks a bit tighter.

Here is another one. I kinda want to like this photo, the expressions on the two men are cool. I was about to 'reject' it when I noticed some cool stuff going on in the background..

Keep it or dump it?

[IMG] 057 by nharmond, on Flickr[/IMG]
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »