Whistler from January to ?

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
Whistler from January to ?
OK so Ive decided that its time for me to finally see snow and get some serious snowboarding done.
So Ive decided that Whistler is the place for me. Originally i had planned to go late November this year and try and work the whole season, but with work here I now cant go until Jan 2012.
Can anyone advise me on the likelihood of scoring a job until the end of the season at this time? Im pretty flexible on what it could be, already been in hospitality for years.
And more importantly, the likelihood of being able to score a room in a condo or something, and the best place to find one? I know its peak season around this time but some people have said you can just rock up and wing everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

Western Australian renaissance man (who knows that feel)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Why do people call it a back pedal every time somebody explains themselves on the internet?

Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,111
rooms come and go all the time, same with jobs.

you'll get screwed over on your first room most likely.... Nordic isn't a bad place to live, lots of houses full of young workers there. don't go for staff housing it's a rip off and you have to share a room.

basically buses service the area reasonably well so as long as you're not completely out of the area it's quite painless to get in and out.

yes you can rock up and wing stuff, but it's preferable to know someone there, or make friends quickly, or have a killer rack and be easy on the eye... assuming that's you in your profile pic, I'd practice on networking skillz.

don't expect to live in the village itself. rooms there are stupidly priced and noobies will get even more ripped off. rooms within walking distance from creekside aren't as expensive (mates did a season 120m away from the gondola).

the biggest thing is to be flexible and if it smells like a shit deal, it probably is. I can't remember what the last person to leave was paying in rent, but i can find out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
yeah unfortunately my killer rack having is not an option. At this stage I only know one guy who is doing a season there, and hes already paid up about 6500 bucks to stay in a decent condo until April. I happy to share a house with people, but theres no chance in hell im spending a few months in a hostel-like situation.

I was under no illusion about living in the village proper - ive travelled before and would be fine with the buses from surrounding areas anyway. Ideally im going to go over armed with a work visa and try and end up sharing a place with others in the same boat.
I guess i was just asking if anyone cant point me in the right direction with a personal experience, but any other hints/tips/secret doors/level ups are appreciated.

Quote:

Quote:

Why do people call it a back pedal every time somebody explains themselves on the internet?

Kellyboop +

Lettuce be cereal here, guys.

Times thanked
< 2,739
Why don't you go somewhere other than Whistler? There is far better snowboarding in other parts of BC/Alberta and they aren't full of Australians. If you're comfortable driving and doing a bit of research you can find a smaller town with just as much of a fun atmosphere and not as much competition for jobs.
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
TBH the job situation is not deal breaker for me, it just means that I might be able to stay for longer. If it eventuates that I cant find a job within a couple weeks of arriving, I'll probably just stay until the money Ive already saved runs out. In terms of the actual boarding, from what Ive read the other places around cant really compare with Whistler's size and diversity, plus whistler has a couple of decent looking parks and some dreamy back-country.

Quote:

Quote:

YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
< 182
IMHO you'd have a better time getting a job at Whistler in January than at a smaller resort. Mainly due to travellers working for a couple of months and then fucking off elsewhere. The sheer amount of positions at Whistler just blows anywhere else out of the water, especially in peak season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_e_de View Post

It's the same as going out on a busy street and looking at the people around you, most of them are fgts.

GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
le bump

Ive come to the conclusion that surely it would be cheaper to buy all my snow gear/board/boots etc in vancouver rather than try and find a bargain here and cart it over. Anyone care to agree/disagree?

Quote:

Quote:

SarahSings1984 +

Times thanked
< 82
There are lots of jobs in Whistler....I would worry more about accomodation. There is a STRONG lack of accomodation around there. Getting a job is easy enough...it's just finding an affordable place to live that will be a challenge.
You could live in Squamish...it's about an hour away and now that they fixed up the Sea to Sky highway for the Olympics it's a better drive and maybe a bit faster than it was wayyy back.

EDIT: YES it's definitely cheaper to get your gear there. There's soooo much of it and if you get a good sale or something used you could get a great deal. Also stuff like jackets and stuff are a lot cheaper there.
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
Cheers, thats what I was thinking.

At this stage there will be about 8 or 9 other people I know in Whistler while I'm there (Canadaustralia right?) so I'm hoping that one of them will know someone/somewhere to hook me up when i arrive. Worst comes to worst - I watched Bear Grylls make an ice cave before, didnt look so hard.

Quote:

Quote:

SarahSings1984 +

Times thanked
< 82
Yeah knowing someone always helps
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,602
GL, you're over there now yea? Give me an update with as much detail as you can go into!
Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
< 3,987
All you need to know, is to always wear a jacket.

So you don get AIDs

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,602
I learnt that in S&F but a timely reminder nonetheless!

Spoiler:
Also we have drugs for AIDS, so it's all good

ps. AIDS is all capitals.
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
yeah mate sure am, and im fairly certain i could answer any Q you have about work/skiing/visa/accom etc... (for whistler/BC at least)

make a bullet point list post of everything you want to know and I'll give it a go

Quote:

Quote:

Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
< 3,987
- Moisties?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,602
* Accommodation - Go the staff housing route or a condo? Something like this, is it too expensive, not as good as others, too far away, etc etc
http://www.rideonwhistler.com/SEASON_ACCOMMODATION/
Roughly $320 AUD a week for 4-5 months doesn't seem prohibitively expensive. What's your living situation like at the moment?

*Season Ski Pass - There seems to be a hefty discount before October so apparently it's worth buying it now and then Whistler resort refunds it if you end up working for them. Otherwise you still save money either way.

*Work - The Whistler agency people are having interviews here in August when I won't be in the country and apparently one round is already happening that I've missed out on. However, the local bars, nightclubs, pubs and restaurants are obviously independent. If I rock up in mid November, that's pretty much peak time to look for a bar job yea? I've got years of experience so no issues there.

*Travel programs like IEP and these guys, WHC --> http://the-workingholiday-club.com/c...ropdown-4.html
Worth it? I've seen some negative feedback on IEP but decent feedback about WHC.

*Gear - Pretty much set on buying it there or in Vancouver on the way.

*Nightlife - I hear Whistler is better for that than Banff, plus Banff gets ridiculously cold. I want crowds. I want people. I want the hustle and bustle for the whole season.

*Moisties

*Visa - I'm going to apply for it this weekend, including the AFP check so should have my LOI by end of July.
I'm also keen to lock in the season pass too, as accommodation sooner rather than later.
I may go speak to those WHC guys next week and see what they can do though I don't imagine getting a job if you plan to be there from mid November to the end of the season will be too difficult.

The chick who made this post seems pretty clued up. Are you having the same experience?
http://www.gapyear.com/boards/viewthread/58939/
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

* Accommodation - Go the staff housing route or a condo? Something like this, is it too expensive, not as good as others, too far away, etc etc
http://www.rideonwhistler.com/SEASON_ACCOMMODATION/
Roughly $320 AUD a week for 4-5 months doesn't seem prohibitively expensive. What's your living situation like at the moment?

*Season Ski Pass - There seems to be a hefty discount before October so apparently it's worth buying it now and then Whistler resort refunds it if you end up working for them. Otherwise you still save money either way.

*Work - The Whistler agency people are having interviews here in August when I won't be in the country and apparently one round is already happening that I've missed out on. However, the local bars, nightclubs, pubs and restaurants are obviously independent. If I rock up in mid November, that's pretty much peak time to look for a bar job yea? I've got years of experience so no issues there.

*Travel programs like IEP and these guys, WHC --> http://the-workingholiday-club.com/c...ropdown-4.html
Worth it? I've seen some negative feedback on IEP but decent feedback about WHC.

*Gear - Pretty much set on buying it there or in Vancouver on the way.

*Nightlife - I hear Whistler is better for that than Banff, plus Banff gets ridiculously cold. I want crowds. I want people. I want the hustle and bustle for the whole season.

*Moisties

*Visa - I'm going to apply for it this weekend, including the AFP check so should have my LOI by end of July.
I'm also keen to lock in the season pass too, as accommodation sooner rather than later.
I may go speak to those WHC guys next week and see what they can do though I don't imagine getting a job if you plan to be there from mid November to the end of the season will be too difficult.

The chick who made this post seems pretty clued up. Are you having the same experience?
http://www.gapyear.com/boards/viewthread/58939/

Fuck you laid it out there - here goes. Bear in mind though that I got to town mid season, so I can't give you any first hand advice about what things are like at the beginning of the season. Ive got a few mates from Oz who did though so I'll add their advice loosely.

1 - Accom - This completely depends on your budget. During peak ski season, accom is at a premium. Staff housing, from what I heard, is more than adequate. Its a little bit out of the way but manageable.
In relation to that link, funnily enough ive actually been in that living room in the picture. Ive had friends stay in the Ravenscrest West apartments. Theyre nice, close to town but tbh if you can afford that you could rent your own massive room in a lakeside cabin or chalet for the same price, and thats much more pimp.
For the last 4 months ive been sharing a room (two queen beds) about 15 mins out of the village by bus with a mate, and were paying 500 a month each including utilities and internet. That cost is pretty standard for share rooms. Most houses with 3 or 4 bedrooms will have 2 people in each room. Obviously you can go more or less depending on your needs and how much you want to spend. You can pay 800 a month for your own 1x1 apartment right in the village.

2 - Ski Pass - 100% definitely buy your pass as early as you can. I couldnt afford the early bird pass (pre october cut off) and my pass ended up costing me 2 fucking grand. Even though i started riding in Feb, i still got about 40 days worth. considering daily tickets cost about 100 bucks, i still got value. at 1400 youre laughing.

** as a side note, remember every price you see online or in shops is subject to 12% sales tax. its gay as aids (no jacket) and i have no idea why they dont just do a total price inclusive, like we do with gst.

If you get a job with Whistler Blackcomb, they will give you a pass. HOwever, if you buy one and use it before you get the job, the total value of your refund is diminished by the number of days youve already ridden, @ 60 bucks a day.

3 - Work - if you can nail a job before you even get there with one of the fairs then awesome. At the beginning of November everyone in town is hiring, but remember there are 1000 other people with the same idea, so competition is fierce. one of my friends got a job as a hostess at a restaurant up the mountain, and apparently 300 people applied for it.
Whistler has a super transient workforce, so someone is always hiring. But the beginning of Nov is the most competitive.
Make it known that youve had years of experience, and whatever they ask, youve done it and can do it again no probs.

4 - Programs - Considered it myself, but pretty much 90pc of people say its a waste of money. The kicker with these is that they will guarantee you a job, but it could be a dishwasher at a hotel getting absolutely raped. if you dont like the job they assign you, tough shit. save your money and put that toward accomodation costs youll need to pay if it takes you a month to get a job or longer.

5 - Gear - 100pc buy it in vancouver. theres a whole street in a suburb called Kitsalano that has about 7 snow/ski/skate stores on it, including a clearance store. Theres also a massive "turkey sale" in whistler at the beginning of the season where all the retailers clear there old stock for like 50/80pc off.

6 - Nightlife - Whistler hands down. There are about 6 main nightclubs here, but they have club nights like dubstep, dnb, 80s nights etc etc and they bring internationals here. Ive already seen two big dnb djs here for $15 that would be like $50 in Oz.

7 - Les Moistwahs - Not sure if youve seen any of my posts; basically shooting fish in a barrels. Imagine the kind of chicks you could pull back home, and add 2/3 points to that scale /10. Ive had some pretty fucking hot girls since ive been here

8 - Visa - was an absolute piece of piss. Provided you get all the right docs you need, fill everything out correctly and send in the fee, its easy as. Between sending in all my stuff and getting my LOI was 3 weeks.

Everything you could possibly want to know about the visa/app process is on www.whpcanada.org.au

I just noticed on that site that theres a Careers and Visa expo in sydney from 31 May to 3 June at the Royal Hall of Industries in Moore Park.

8 - that link - shes pretty much nailed everyrthing on the head there.

Hope this all helps, wish I had someone to give me all this info before I left. The main thing I didnt do was bring enough cash. Bring as much as you possibly can. You sound like youre in a cushy job, but theres always something here that you can spend more money on - better boots, better clothes/board, better accom, buying a sick downhill bike if youre here for summer, roadtrips etc.

anyways tl;dr come to Whistler, its fucking awesome

Quote:

Quote:

Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,602
Awesome, legendary post man! I'm buying you a case if you're there next season

No issues with money. I've lived at home for the last 3 years that I've worked so it's basically minimal risk for me in that sense. Also why I may look like I want to splurge a bit on a decent room somewhere but fuck it, you only live once and it's 4-5 months max

Work is the main thing and looks like I'll be a couple of weeks behind everyone, but it's still well before Christmas and the start of the peak season. I'm a pharmaceutical rep, if there's one thing I can sell well, it's myself
I'll keep an eye out anyway though, do some networking and see what happens.

Ok, so visa app and season pass happening this weekend. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
Im going home in October to see the family and work for 4 months or so, and then heading back with a few mates at the beginning of Feb - so I'll probably see you around town!

Good to hear you're committing, I guarantee its one of the best decisions you'll make in your life. If you have any other questions along the way or you want me to check out anything here for you before I leave, let me know.

Quote:

Quote:

timmy975 +

Times thanked
< 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLove View Post

Theyre nice, close to town but tbh if you can afford that you could rent your own massive room in a lakeside cabin or chalet for the same price, and thats much more pimp.
For the last 4 months ive been sharing a room (two queen beds) about 15 mins out of the village by bus with a mate, and were paying 500 a month each including utilities and internet. That cost is pretty standard for share rooms. Most houses with 3 or 4 bedrooms will have 2 people in each room. Obviously you can go more or less depending on your needs and how much you want to spend. You can pay 800 a month for your own 1x1 apartment right in the village.

^^That whole post was exactly was I was looking for, thanks for that. Is there any recommended website for enquiring about those apartments, lakeside cabins or chalet's? They sound the way to go for the winter. Cheers
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
tbh just hit craigslist when you get to town. Best and easiest. There is also the town magazine called the Pique with rental info, but not as many advertise there.

Quote:

Quote:

Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,602
Craigslist scares me.
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,111
you'll get ripped off in your first unit, so don't sign up to a long lease. the best/cheapest places are all word of mouth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
yeah theres some dodgy shit on craigslist for sure, but you can suss out pretty quickly whats legit and whats not. It definitely helps to have someone who knows what to look for to help you out.

Ive been lucky to get into two different houses without signing a lease, usually just need to have have half a months rent as damage deposit, and then month to month rent payments.

Quote:

Quote:

Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,602
So go with a hostel for a week and then try and find something for about 2 months?
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
if you're specifically looking for a place where you won't have to sign a 6 month lease, it will definitely take you more than a week to find a decent place.

Don't stress about it too much, its the same as looking for a rental anywhere - price vs. location, amenities, proximity to public transport, are there any hottties who live there etc....

Quote:

Quote:

cookieFp +

rockin'

Times thanked
< 47
Cheers for the info GoodLove. Heading over mid Nov. Might see you cats there
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,602
Fap Cookie, I'm almost certainly there mid November too. We should keep in touch
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
im most likely heading home for a few months in October, but I'll be back Feb '13

Quote:

Quote:

Aydo +

play from your fucking heart

Times thanked
< 43
see you ****s there
cookieFp +

rockin'

Times thanked
< 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

Fap Cookie, I'm almost certainly there mid November too. We should keep in touch

Fledzor! Yeah man for sure! pm me your fb if you want

I'll be there with Aydo^^^ Good times to be had!
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,602
Will do
Fucking AFP police clearance, two months on and still nothing....useless hacks. I'll get there though, positive thoughts

Aydo -
cookieFp +

rockin'

Times thanked
< 47
Yeah police clearance took me about 2 months but the good thing is as soon as yours reaches the top of their pile it only takes 2-3 days until it's in your mailbox. You get a txt once they start processing it so once you get that it's not too far away.

Sent my visa app off a couple of days ago... we'll see how long that takes.
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,602
Nah that was the problem, I got a text and then two weeks later still nothing. So they resent it again today.

Anyway, check your PMs. Sent you my facebook details.
Aydo +

play from your fucking heart

Times thanked
< 43
I've been waiting like a month for my driving history to come back. Hurry the fuck up!
cookieFp +

rockin'

Times thanked
< 47
Fucking government agencies....
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
unlucky fellas, mine was a walk in the park

Quote:

Quote:

timmy975 +

Times thanked
< 24
Received my AFP letter the other day. Two months to the day. Also received an apology saying my application was in a group that didn't get printed and dispatched. Hopefully the rest of the application goes smoother.
Need to step up my research on accommodation and on the job front too.
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,602
Back from holiday. Visa was approved last week while I was still in Croatia.
Just need one more good night sleep to beat the jet lag, then going to book flights, a hostel and any other stuff in the next couple of days

Wooooooooooooooooooo, Canada here I come!
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,602
I just realised my parents didn't make a copy of the police check certificate before they mailed it off, while I was overseas. Fuck me, I may murder someone. Apparently you need a copy for most jobs over there, so now I need to fuck around with calling the useless AFP bastards and getting another copy sent out. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
I never even looked at applying for anything corporate, but Ive never heard of anyone needing a police clearance when applying for a job in whistler.

Dont stress about it mate, its just a formality for the visa process, the only job i could see you needing it for is working with kids or something.

Quote:

Quote:

Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,602
All good. I emailed the AFP and they said a new copy was out in the mail today

EDIT - Got it. Excellent.

Last edited by Fledz: 07-Sep-12 at 01:22pm

james5 +

Times thanked
< 1
There are many tasks in Whistler.I would fear more about accomodation. There is a STRONG deficiency of accomodation around there. Getting a job is simple enough.it's just discovering an cost-effective position to stay that will be a task.
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
yeah he's right, there's a shitload of tasks around Whistler. Ive become a bit of an icon myself and I usually like to hang out at the task bar.

Quote:

Quote:

Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,602
That damn taskbar, always making my games crash to desktop

Any recommendations on hostels? Thinking about grabbing this --> http://www.hihostels.ca/westerncanad...e/index.hostel

Booking my airfare for the 18th of November this weekend, Air New Zealand via LA. Should arrive around lunchtime on Sunday. Will spend that night and all of Monday in Vancouver, then off to Whistler on Tuesday morning to hostel it up and start job/house hunting.
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
yep def go with HI, i stayed there for probably close to a month and can say that its easily in my top 3 hostels ive ever stayed at anywhere. That jobseeker thing is worth it, i just checked the regular room rates and you save about 60 bucks (no breakfast) plus the transit tickets are worth 25 bucks. But when you get to the hostel, make sure you get yourself a bus pass. Its about 60 bucks per month, but unlimited. Normal fair is 2.50, and you dont get a reusable ticket that lasts for a couple hours or whatever.

Also if you can get yourself a YHA Australia membership card, think its about 30 bucks and that gets you a discount on accom and greyhound tickets, plus probably heaps of other stuff i dont know about. If you dont get one in oz you might can probably get one at the hostel when you check in.

Quote:

Quote:

GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,753
Good looking season so far:

45cm at least on the ground, alpine getting peppered.
timmy975 +

Times thanked
< 24
Was doing a little research and came across someone enrolling in this http://www.pro-ride.com/snowboard-courses
Has anyone heard any reviews from that place?
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,602
Ok, time to figure out the basics of my board so people can make suggestions. Been reading all day, this is what I've come up with as a rough guide:

Camber - As I plan to mostly free ride, high speeds, sharp turns, and off track later on in the powder. I think I used a Camber profile a few years back and quite liked it.
Sintered Base - I don't plan on doing much park tricks or anything at this point and have no issues waxing the board. The most I'll be doing is jumps on/off track. Things like rails, half pipes etc, just don't interest me at this point.
Medium to Stiff flex - Pretty self explanatory for an All Mountain type of board. I don't want as stiff as possible, I'm not getting an alpine board..... yet

Centred stance (Duck). +15/-12 or that sort of variation. While I prefer the normal stance, I don't mind riding switch either so it's important to have a versatile type of board and stance that is good in both directions, nose or tail first.
I have US size 15 feet and weigh around 92kg at the moment, which could easily go out to 95kg with a bit more muscle. So I guess a wide board is essential, especially if I'm on/off track and not in terrain parks.

EDIT - Burton Custom or Custom X is close to what I'm after in 164 Wide.

Last edited by Fledz: 28-Oct-12 at 09:37pm

timmy975 +

Times thanked
< 24
You would be correct in needing a wide board for a Size 15 shoe. The last thing you want is to be catching your toes or heels every time you try to turn. Even though you weigh a bit (How tall are you?) and will be doing high speeds I would still opt for a medium flex board. I think the Custom X is a little stiffer so I would go for the custom.
Similar to you I do the odd bit of switch riding so what you suggested will do the job just fine. I wish I could be more help with all the technical side of choosing a board but I really have no idea about camber, reverse camber, v rocker etc etc..
If you haven't already it might be worth checking out trusnow.com as they have a massive selection of boards and a decent sized forum.
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »