Trance / Hard Dance

Gareth Emery

Tools
dan_essential77 +

rockers delight!!

Times thanked
< 131
http://www.tranceaddict.com/forum/sh...=#.T8W4HVKIhDQ

2nd hour of his FMF set this year was good. Have not seen much of his latest productions, though, so there are probably others, but this is a big move.
informed +

ITM Trance Ho

Times thanked
< 34
We really need a cheese emoticon.

He is a disgrace along with the rest of them
Chrisdude +

Times thanked
< 82
I didn't like Saga the first couple of times that I listened to it, but it has grown on me. It doesn't sound very Gareth though.
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 809
Fuckin hell Gareth... I didn't know about the recent turn to shit. Thought he was still one of the few around still doing regular trance proud.

From this -

Media Player
Gtr - Mistral (original mix) - YouTube

To this -

Media Player
Gareth Emery - The Saga [Official Music Video] - Out Now - YouTube

Very unique video...
Extreamly important to show that Gareth is a guy always on the move. From one club to the other. Of course with those cool Ray Bans on. Gotta show that he is a man on duty. The guy even produces the next fist pumping hits on the airport! Fulfilling all club goers wishes. This is a guy so busy that he doesn't even take his leather jacket off while DJ:ing. Duty is always calling and the next flight is already waiting at the airport. Gareth we love you!

The intro speaks for itself. Gareth arives at Essex airport with his entourage and waves to his horde of fans, which consists of a couple of confused locals wondering who he is waving at. Damn, we didn't have time to hire in some extras for this shot. But what the heck. Gotta keep up the momentum! No time to stop at the tax free shops. But I'll have a large take away latte nonetheless. While we are rolling on the streets to our hotel the camera zooms up on an Apple Ipad sign. Quick! Next shot fire up my own Macbook. We are talking Apple. The night is long and we'll have time to update my stats on facebook and tweet out on the twitter. Important to always update your fans on where you are. Such a long drive, arriving early in the morning. Lucky we got a chauffeur that knows manners and remembers to open up the door for a superstar dj. Ahhh life is good...

At least those couple of comments brought some needed humor to my morning of wanting to punch Gareth Emery in the face

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

Chrisdude +

Times thanked
< 82
It's ONE song. It seriously pisses me off how quickly people will jump on the hate bandwagon these days. God forbid a DJ experiment a bit and release one track that is of a slightly different sound. For people to say an artist of many years has turned to shit because you don't like one song... it's ridiculous.
Kiron +

Mess with the best, Die like the rest!

Times thanked
< 325

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acperience 1 View Post

Fuckin hell Gareth... I didn't know about the recent turn to shit. Thought he was still one of the few around still doing regular trance proud.

From this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsmiGTC245M

To this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhw0PJ_Wew8

Very unique video...
Extreamly important to show that Gareth is a guy always on the move. From one club to the other. Of course with those cool Ray Bans on. Gotta show that he is a man on duty. The guy even produces the next fist pumping hits on the airport! Fulfilling all club goers wishes. This is a guy so busy that he doesn't even take his leather jacket off while DJ:ing. Duty is always calling and the next flight is already waiting at the airport. Gareth we love you!

The intro speaks for itself. Gareth arives at Essex airport with his entourage and waves to his horde of fans, which consists of a couple of confused locals wondering who he is waving at. Damn, we didn't have time to hire in some extras for this shot. But what the heck. Gotta keep up the momentum! No time to stop at the tax free shops. But I'll have a large take away latte nonetheless. While we are rolling on the streets to our hotel the camera zooms up on an Apple Ipad sign. Quick! Next shot fire up my own Macbook. We are talking Apple. The night is long and we'll have time to update my stats on facebook and tweet out on the twitter. Important to always update your fans on where you are. Such a long drive, arriving early in the morning. Lucky we got a chauffeur that knows manners and remembers to open up the door for a superstar dj. Ahhh life is good...

At least those couple of comments brought some needed humor to my morning of wanting to punch Gareth Emery in the face

Is this the video that even Gareth was paying out on TATW 500?
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
Kiron22 << Add me to Last.fm bitches so we can Hipster it up together
djpractice +

Times thanked
< 82
he has been getting progressively 'worse' since we saw him in early 2011 at Brown alley - he needs to play more 'trance' and ditch the 'trouse' shit - Gareth at 136bpm is what I like best
Practice - Playing weird shit since 2004
mattpolo8 +

on a good day...

Times thanked
< 253
yeah i agree. his set at home a few year's back was awesome (in sydney). but ever since his sets have been pretty poor.
flippy +

rushproductions.com.au / facebook.com/djjed

Times thanked
< 285

Quote:

Originally Posted by djpractice View Post

he has been getting progressively 'worse' since we saw him in early 2011 at Brown alley - he needs to play more 'trance' and ditch the 'trouse' shit - Gareth at 136bpm is what I like best

Yeah I'm all for DJ's/producers diversifying and evolving but I've found myself unsubscribing from his podcast and no longer hyped to click on anything he's made in a while :/

He hit the nail on the head with his album but has branched off from that sound that got him to #7 spot in DJ Mag shortly after?

Anyway, hope he comes back to what makes him good and working off that sound again to diversify and keep the fans he has
RUSH PRODUCTIONS: HOUSE|PROG|TECH|TRANCE
Rush Radio - Podcast via iTunes or Podbean

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
17/05_SUPER8 & TAB

flippy +

Times thanked
< 285
Surprisingly I was all set to hate on this like the majority of the Gareth fanclub but I actually dont mind it! It would go bezerk at a festival.

It's very much chalk & cheese though - Mistral is an all-time gem and The Saga is a fun bashy jump-around track!

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
17/05_SUPER8 & TAB

kool_kimbo +

Times thanked
< 2
Don't understand the sudden turn around? Concrete Angel isnt that old and it was massive trance hit. I thought Tokyo was good too. However it may spell the beginning of the end for him because as soon as Ferry Corsten created 1 daring song, he lost a load of fans....
ether1988 +

Times thanked
< 98
I think using the words 'experiment' and 'daring' is a little inaccurate. These guys are not going out on a limb or 'evolving' when they make trouse-esque tunes. They know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it.
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 430
Gareth was the last mainstream trance DJ I saw. Some time last year (I think?) at Home. I walked out about 60mins in to a 3hr set. Boooooring.
A world away from the cracking 2hr set he played at the same venue in 09 or so.

Didn't he launch his career in a somewhat controversial way by calling out mainstream trance producers for being rubbish and formulaic?
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
< 4,500
Much prefer Gareths older style. His remix of Foremtera What will be one of my all time favourites. Need more stuttered vocals Gaz!
WyscuL +

Child of Eden

Times thanked
< 33
I too miss stuttered vocals.

I think the saga is very commercial, cheesy & would probably go off in a club setting, but I'm not sold on this one personally.
-=-=-==-===-====-===-==-=-=-
Mixcrate mixes
Achal +

Times thanked
< 50
Meh, I've come to accept what Gareth Emery has become, it is a shame yes but now it just means I don't get all giddy when a new Emery track hits the stores. I like some of his current stuff not with the same gusto. TBH I think his productions aren't the problem, it's the other stuff he plays in between them....knife party...
djpractice +

Times thanked
< 82
In trance, I haven't had someone go from being pretty much my most favourite producer/DJ in the genre to being in the top 5 most hated producer/djs within 12 months, but Gareth has been the first to do so!!!!

Pretty much ignore most of what he does now - but he had a good run. As soon as anyone gets popular, their quality of tracks always goes to shit (can cite numerous examples across about a dozen genres!!!!) - c'est la vie!
Practice - Playing weird shit since 2004
informed +

ITM Trance Ho

Times thanked
< 34
Some do it for the love of the music...

And others do it for the money.

Its easy too see which category Emery is in.
_Joey +

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Times thanked
< 71
i actually dig the saga dont mind it at all. Yes pretty commerical but some commercial aint bad
Sunset Events Coming Up

Sep 6th - JOOF Editions @ Prince

Sep 14th - TBA

Oct 4th - Technoboy Legendary Tour @ Glenferrie Social
Dazz Spazz +

I'll do what i do every other day... Try and take over the world!!

Times thanked
< 12
He needs to keep going with his upbeat tempo and double snare at the end of the loops.. and the thing that drew me towards his music in the first place was the melodies combined with a filtered kick and snare to build it up. I think he should stick with that formula.
Let the music do the talkin!

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,241

Quote:

Originally Posted by informed View Post

Some do it for the love of the music...

And others do it for the money.

Its easy too see which category Emery is in.

Such a shame, a year or two ago I would of completely disagreed going by his remarks on facebook/twitter/podcast. Unfortunately it just kept going on and on.

I dont really like The Saga and not because of the trouse sounds as I dont hate on music because of what genre it is ( I liek some 'trouse'), it just simply doesnt do much for me.

I still think he loves the music, mind. I just think influences around and whatknot got he better of him. His show last Feb was in the top 5 for the year for me. Amazing night ( In fact always puts on a good show from when I have seen him). His last album was great too and he still pops up with some gems ( I like concrete angel and tokyo tbh). Though for me will be remembered for tracks like mistral and this banger which I still smash to this day, one of my favourites of all time!

Media Player
YouTube

Edit: I have never bought vinyl but want to get this one as my first!

Last edited by Hdb2: 20-Jun-12 at 03:04pm

flippy +

Times thanked
< 285

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hdb2 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q09PNs7eNdQ

Edit: I have never bought vinyl but want to get this one as my first!

I've got that on vinyl!

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
17/05_SUPER8 & TAB

Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
< 4,500
First thing I think of when the bassline drops in that song is exposure.
baseade +

Times thanked
< 16
his essential mix in 2008 was pretty good - still have that on my iPOd when i go to the gym. At future this year i was somewhat disappointed, he definitely was below par, but then a few mates saw him back in the UK a few weeks later in Leeds at Digital Society and thought he was amazing. GTR mistral all the way - what a cracker.
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,241

He posted that on his FB from over the weekend, 140bpm is where Gareth needs to be imo - maybe all he needs is longer sets!?
WyscuL +

Child of Eden

Times thanked
< 33
I thought he was epic at Brown Alley in Melbourne when I saw him last. ('10? it wasn't too long ago), not a single bad moment I thought.

You know the 'groove', Gareth was on fire all set.

Have to say that what I have heard since (live set rip wise) seems to have gone off the boil a bit though? I know he can though, so I am still a believer overall, even if the current form (& recent podcasts I hate to admit) leaves me a bit distanced.
-=-=-==-===-====-===-==-=-=-
Mixcrate mixes
informed +

ITM Trance Ho

Times thanked
< 34
lol!! what a wanker Gareth has become!!!

08/07/2012 CANCELLATION: Global Gathering UK

We are sorry to announce that due to numerous contractual breaches by Global Gathering, Gareth will no longer be playing at this year's Global Gathering UK. Please understand that after three great festivals 09/10/11 (including producing the festival's theme tune in 2010), this was the absolute last thing we wanted to do, and we made every attempt to rectify the situation, but in the end Godskitchen / Global Gathering gave us no choice. International Global Gatherings in Russia and Ukraine are unaffected. Sorry to all of you who had bought tickets hoping to see him play - hopefully some of you can catch him at UK Festivals South West Four or Creamfields over the summer instead. GE MGMT.

Global Gathering
13 minutes ago
STATEMENT ON GARETH EMERY'S MANAGEMENT CANCELLING UK PERFORMANCE

We are very sorry to have to confirm that Gareth Emery's management team have decided to cancel his festival performance at GlobalGathering UK. We would like to issue the following statement in response.

Unfortunately there has been a billing error on our behalf where two artists were confirmed in the same position (to which we can only apologise). However, we would like to clarify that Gareth Emery's management company's statement is erroneous. Their statement that there are numerous breaches to the contract is not correct; there is a single breach which detailed that Gareth was to appear second on the billing where a number of adverts have shown him to be placed third.

The statement that 'every attempt to rectify the situation' is also factually incorrect. To overcome this issue we have offered a compromise on billing where both artists would receive the same amount of page views on our website and alternative press advertising which was immediately dismissed by Gareth Emery's management team.

At this point we would also like to point out the decision to withdraw from the festival this year has been made solely by Gareth Emery's management team. We are extremely disappointed that after so many year's of successfully working together, his fans will not be able to enjoy his performance over such a small issue which could have easily have been ironed out without the need for any of this to have been publicised.

We would also like to further point out that the same billing issue was also true of Ferry Corsten's management, who have acted completely professionally throughout this problem and have offered up solutions in the interest of his fans.

It is such a shame that these types of issues are becoming more common place within the festival environment and we find ourselves dealing with these time consuming issues rather than working on what is looking like the most successful GlobalGathering to date and delivering an amazing festival for all of our customers.
TheNextBestThing +

Times thanked
< 27
None of the tracks he releases sound alike.

IMO He doesn't write his own tracks. Stop kidding yourselves this bloke was a sellout at day one.
He has nothing in the bag when it comes to producing, what you see is what you get. I liked one of his tracks exposure the others I could hardly bare.

I don't exactly know what his appeal is?

I guess that's why the industry have given him the arse. They've invested a tonne of money promoting him, with no return.
narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586
I'm not saying this is right, but this always happens at festivals/events. I've seen so many tantrums in regards to set times, it's not funny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxi Jazz

"It's about being determined to have a good time no matter what.
You have to take your good time to the party rather than expect the party to be your good time."

scoobersteve +

RAINBOW SERPENT 2012. DOOFIN' IT UP!

Times thanked
< 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNextBestThing View Post

IMO He doesn't write his own tracks. Stop kidding yourselves this bloke was a sellout at day one.
He has nothing in the bag when it comes to producing, what you see is what you get. I liked one of his tracks exposure the others I could hardly bare.

I guess that's why the industry have given him the arse. They've invested a tonne of money promoting him, with no return.

Media Player
Albert Vorne - Formentera What (Gareth Emery Remix) (CLEL019) - YouTube
Media Player
DJ Orkidea - Metaverse (Gareth Emery Remix) - YouTube
Media Player
Gtr - Mistral (original mix) - YouTube

Don't think he was a sell out when he wrote Mistral mate. Gareth has been a top notch producer (until he made The Saga).
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
< 4,500

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNextBestThing View Post

Back in the day he was good.. now he's just turned to shit imo. Yeh some of the songs on his album were good.. but nothing compared to what he use to produce.
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,241
His reply on FB this morning:

Quote:

Ok......... wow. Just finished up a mental weekend in Vegas, and caught up on what's happened with Global. Very gutted not to play, to let people down, but I'm especially upset reading so many people suggesting this was my choice, about my ego or money. You could not be more wrong.

When I read Global's statement from my hotel room here in Vegas, I was as shocked as anyone else reading it, and obviously, the first thing I did was call my management to find out what the fuck had happened because cancelling a festival over a flyer sounds as ridiculous to me as it does to anyone else. However after speaking with them, I can say there really are two sides to this story.

This is the only cancellation like this to ever occur in my entire career, and we are all to blame. Were my management unnecessarily aggressive and hasty to cancel? Yeah probably. However, they had been lied to by Global who initially gave then any bullshit story they could rather than admit they had made a mistake. So by the time they finally decided to be honest, after basically being bullshitted for a month, management were angry, and cancelled.

I guess the moral of the story, if there is one, is this. When you fuck up, hold your hands up straight away and admit you've made a mistake. Try to hide it or lie your way out and you just make the problems worse. I'm 100% sure that had Global been honest as soon as they knew there was a problem, management would have been understanding, and I wouldn't be writing this.

However I am also to blame, as if I was home when this situation reached a peak on Saturday, I'd have hoped to sort it out. Generally I try and know about my shit but during busy periods like the summer when I am constantly abroad, and also trying to finish a new album, I've had to increasingly allow other people to make decisions on my behalf. This fiasco has shown me I need to keep more in touch, and I will.

As it seems we're past the point of no return, let's do this - next time we do a Garuda show in the UK, anyone with a Global ticket can get in for free. This isn't about the money or ego - it's about you guys, and the fact that it's you who are missing out because two companies chose to play power games is the worst thing about all this. I'll do my best to make it up to you.

Sincerely gutted

Gaz

I still reckon he is a decent bloke getting caught up in a lot of bullshit. Saga was shit but he has a good backlog of tunes and has been great everytime I have seen him play live, one of the djs that reads a crowd well imo.

Never know the true story of this either as both sides will want to blame the other.
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 809
If he lets 'Management' make decisions like that without consulting him first (all it takes is a quick phone call, sms, email, tweet, anything to ask him his final say) then he's an idiot

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

TheNextBestThing +

Times thanked
< 27
Get it out of your head, he doesn't call the shots. It's not up to him to make these decisions, he's under contract.
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 430
He's just a face. Like they all are.
flippy +

Times thanked
< 285
Do people really not see how The Saga has pretty much the same sort of static, gritty, punchy bass kicky sounds as his tracks Another You, Another Me or More Than Anything have?

He really hasn't gone THAT far from what he's done before in The Saga, surely... it just seems to be lacking a key fundamental element that makes him go from "sell out" sounding to "trancey" - that killer Gareth Emery melody.

Listen to the breakdown in both Another You, Another Me and More Than Anything and melt like the rest of us did when they came out... add that to The Saga and BAM - you've got a "trance" track that I'm sure you'd all be more on board with.

As far as anyone thinking he's sold out either from the beginning or thanks to The Saga, a) really? What exactly do you call non-sellout trance then? and b) read the above and learn to evolve alongside him or just find something else to actually focus some positive energy into. Phew.

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
17/05_SUPER8 & TAB

narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586
Does anyone else find this hilarious

Quote:

However, they had been lied to by Global who initially gave then any bullshit story they could rather than admit they had made a mistake.

Oh boo hoo, your name wasn't second on the flyer, cry some more!

Quote:

You have to take your good time to the party rather than expect the party to be your good time."

JulesPLees +

Just about sick of it. Totes.

Times thanked
< 210
Gareth is a nice guy and im sure that it probably was his managements fault - but it is also his for not keeping more of an eye on wtf they are doing and what his actual contracts mean for him.

but i digress i used to like some of his stuff - so i listened to the saga on youtube and really the tune is basically brostep with the vocal ripped from some $1.99 sample pack of trancesetters - the saga.

so this is what flys these days eh? wierd coming from the guy who once famously cracked the shits with 95% of the trance world because everyone else PLayed 'cheesy bollocks'.

me no likey or thinky this is trancey

what happened
Media Player
Gareth Emery & Nicholas Bennison - Interlok - YouTube
The JulesPLees ComPLete Trilogy for 2013

Volume 1: Light (Club Prog-Trance)
https://soundcloud.com/user38450/jul...ete-2013-vol-1

Last edited by JulesPLees: 10-Jul-12 at 08:52pm

chris pana +

catalina wine mixer

Times thanked
< 12
Gaz has always been a stand out bloke, the unfortunate lure of fame and popularity has unfortunately claimed another victim.

His roots were in producing quality trance, he's now a product of what the industry wants and not the other way around.

Alas, the whinge over the flyer and the set time will always wage on as long as there are festivals and dj's, it's how we handle ourselves in those moments that is a true test of ones character...clearly he doesn't have a handle on his management, tbh, they would have been dropped immediately if it were me speaking on my behalf like that...there would be a shit load of artist managers that would snap him up right away and would send the 'right' message to everyone including keeping his integrity...grow some balls is all.

Upcoming:
TBA - Feb 2012

Listen: www.soundcloud.com/chris-pana
Follow: www.facebook.com/ChrisPana
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,241
It doesnt matter who you are or what you do, the people around you will have influence on your actions/thoughts, sometimes without you even consciously knowing it.

The music industry is what it is, its not a magical thing with no egos free of money and business driving decisions. This isn't a new thing either.

As I said earlier, each set I have seen him play live I have enjoyed, he has produced some great tracks for me and I have found some amazing music through his podcasts and old mixtapes. Doesnt mean I like everything ( I dont like The Saga, then again I didnt always like everything he made in his earlier days).

Life goes on.
Achal +

Times thanked
< 50
You guys have no idea what the discussion was between Gareth Emery's management and Global Gathering, now I'm not saying either one of the them is correct or incorrect, but really without knowing all the facts you guys really shouldn't be passing judgement on Gareth Emery.
Valency +

jawesome

Times thanked
< 64
I know Emery loves to run his mouth off, is a massive hypocrite and makes rubbish tunes, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Beat Explorers - A journey into dance music
TheNextBestThing +

Times thanked
< 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MongooseFiend View Post

He's just a face. Like they all are.

The best figure head/body in EDM today is Paris Hilton.

I'm so voting her for top100 Dj Mag poll.
james223 +

Times thanked
< 150
Bit off topic, but I Kinda wish they would get rid of the top100 Dj Mag poll. It just turns into dj's whoring themselves on social media. Really brings fuck all to dance music..
flippy +

Times thanked
< 285

Quote:

Originally Posted by james223 View Post

Bit off topic, but I Kinda wish they would get rid of the top100 Dj Mag poll. It just turns into dj's whoring themselves on social media. Really brings fuck all to dance music..

But... then how will I know who to like?

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
17/05_SUPER8 & TAB

Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,241

New track... Better than his 'The Saga' stuff imo!
metaphorikal +

u mad

Times thanked
< 1,703
I thought the trance forum was supposed to be a happy place.

I met him a few years back at gatercrasher, he closed with msitral and I told him to play mistral in every set.

He isn't the first to 'branch' out and he won't be the last.

I just prefer to listen to his older stuff; mistral, metaverse remix and foremantera what.

That film clip seems like a rip off of that clip where armin and ferry are travelling to a gig. Real innovative there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

fucked international break at it yet again fuck off already

narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphorikal View Post

That film clip seems like a rip off of that clip where armin and ferry are travelling to a gig. Real innovative there.

Exhale

Quote:

DTrancer +

ASOT lurver

Times thanked
< 161

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hdb2 View Post

New track... Better than his 'The Saga' stuff imo!

Fuck me thats an awesome track. Cant wait to get it when it comes out!
MJay1993 +

Times thanked
< 34
Bump

Just wanted to point out the sheer irony of this tweet

« Previous Thread Next Thread »