Curing meats, pickling veg and that kind of thing

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
Curing meats, pickling veg and that kind of thing
So, since reading the article in the Good Living a couple of weeks back, i have become obsessed with the thought of making my own bacon and i am finally going to do it - YUM.

I'm off to the butcher after work to find some pork belly to rub it with salt and sugar and get that good thing going. It seems pretty easy and the only thing i have concerns about is the space in my fridge

Has anyone else gotten into curing their own meat? And what about smoking chicken?

I've also pickled some home grown jalapeno chilli's, made my own pesto and am interested in making some jam.

What are your recipes? Anyone made jerky before? I'm keen to get all "old school" while winter is here
(◕.◕u)
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,117
i really would like to smoke my own salmon or trout I'd never stop eating it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

liseyt +

hai

Times thanked
< 100
I made pickled onions with my housemate about 4 weeks ago and they are almost ready!
Coming up for TLOY Perth:

Octave One (live)
Ben Sims
Robert Hood
THEHEATH +

ACCESS DENIED.

Times thanked
< 1,133
Have you tried them yet? I remember my mother making them once but they never quite were the same as the ones from the jar and we had them sitting there for much longer than four weeks. Was too much onion and not enough pickling going on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch

I am epileptic, so making fun of other people with epilepsy isn't making fun of people less fortunate.

Also, despite my epilepsy, I daresay I'm more fortunate than you, you condescending prick.

liseyt +

hai

Times thanked
< 100
yeah I had one yesterday, the onion is still a bit too raw tasting but we think it should be ready next week. They taste pretty good but i probably would just buy them next time...

Octave One (live)
Ben Sims
Robert Hood
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,435
I'd love to make my own salami but don;' have anywhere near the space and equipment for it unfortunately. I'll stick to making sausages I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
Bracko - i was reading about smoking trout - you can do it on your weber (if you have one)
(◕.◕u)
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,753
Try and track down this book :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/European-Pea.../dp/1904010504

Amazing recipes in there, but also a lot of great information on how the peasants in Europe used to prepare meat and vegies for storage through the "off seasons" - including stuff on curing.

It is often voted as one of the "essential" cook books (like Larousse Gastronomique).
Hopped in the car and torpe'ed to the shack
Of Shaheed, "We gotta go back" when he said
"Why?" I said, "We gotta go
'Cause I left my wallet in El Segundo"

http://twitter.com/derekbradley
http://untappd.com/user/dbb618

https://plus.google.com/117630500124...73/posts?hl=en
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,117

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_adz

Bracko - i was reading about smoking trout - you can do it on your weber (if you have one)

tick.

will google now.

Quote:

Smoked Salmon or Trout in Weber Ingredients
6 Salmon fillets; 1 lb. Each 1 lb Hickory chips
4 qt Water 2 c Water
1 c Salt 1/3 c Peanut oil
Instructions for Smoked Salmon or Trout in Weber
Put 4 qts. Water in large pan, add salt and stir until dissolved. Soak chips in 2 cups water for 20 minutes. Drain and reserve to sprinkle over hot coals for smoking. Arrange fish 1 layer deep in large flat pan, add salt water to cover generously. Soak 40 minutes in refrigerator. Drain fish well, rinse with cold water, pat dry with towel. Using indirect method, sprinkle chips over hot coals. Brush fish with oil and arrange skin side down on a rack on the cooking grill, over drip pan. Adjust dampers to maintain low heat. Cover kettle and smoke fish, brushing with oil every 10 minutes for 40 minutes or until fish is golden brown and flakes easily with fork. Do not turn fish over during cooking. Posted to bbq-digest by PhantomBBQ@aol.com on Feb 20, 1999, converted by MM_Buster v2.0l.

and

http://www.ehow.com/how_2158772_smok...mp-recipe.html

will try over the next few weeks hopefully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

Last edited by Bracko: 24-Jun-08 at 08:31pm

THEHEATH +

ACCESS DENIED.

Times thanked
< 1,133
You used to be able to buy these little stainless steel boxes and you'd put special wood chips in them and let them smolder to do smoked salmon etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch

I am epileptic, so making fun of other people with epilepsy isn't making fun of people less fortunate.

Also, despite my epilepsy, I daresay I'm more fortunate than you, you condescending prick.

Rodskis +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

i really would like to smoke my own salmon or trout I'd never stop eating it.

if only it were possible. Just like that pig off the adam and eve episode of the simpsons that homer always ate..
www.myspace.com/rodskeez
www.beatport.com/artist/rodskeez
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
so ive come into some lemons, a lot of lemons in fact! so this weekend, my challenge is to make some preserved lemons

and i was reading up about harissa...might make me some of that too!
(◕.◕u)
peepyfun +

aka Jimmy Dau

Times thanked
< 0
theres a river cottage episode called pig in a day. shows you how to cut up an entire pig and recipes on making sausages, prociuttos and other cured bits and pieces. really recommend it if you want to cure your own meats
Join my Facebook page HERE

Stream my latest mix on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/jimmyda
Cavey +

^_~

Times thanked
< 156
Was the bacon a success?

Katsu kangae wa motsu na makenu kangae wa hitsuyo.

Cavey for president. :xxnu
You're a freaky unit :trippytrip
angelbel +

This bird you cannot change

Times thanked
< 297

Quote:

Originally Posted by liseyt

I made pickled onions with my housemate about 4 weeks ago and they are almost ready!

Mmm my mum makes the most awesome pickled onions!
How did yours turn out in the end?

This year once all the stone fruits etc are out I'm definitely going to be trying my hand at some jams and preserves.
And would like to try some pickling of veges as well.
Gentlemen, we just seized an airfield.
That was pretty fucking ninja.

liseyt +

hai

Times thanked
< 100
they were delish bel! we actually finished off the last of them last night! We have also saved the juice and going to add it to the next batch! Although the juice was a bit sweet and I am trying to figure out what to add to counter the sweetness (not salt).

Will get the recipe soon!

Octave One (live)
Ben Sims
Robert Hood
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavey

Was the bacon a success?

i failed at makin' bacon

i.e. i have been too lazy to start it. this thread has inspired me to think about it again/want to make it.
(◕.◕u)
Cavey +

^_~

Times thanked
< 156

Quote:

i failed at makin' bacon

i.e. i have been too lazy to start it. this thread has inspired me to think about it again/want to make it.

Want step by step photos please!

M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
Deal!
(◕.◕u)
smilla +

OTT UTT

Times thanked
< 8
I've been very lazy with my preserving jam making stuff for the last few months. At th moment im planning on making a worm farm so all our food scraps don’t go to waste.

Mind you we have an apartment with a small patio and very little actual ground to put the fertiliser on. Mostly just herbs and vegetables in pots but oh well

Actually I made some homemade laundry detergent the other day so there’s my bit of self sufficiency for the week
Jackie Kennedy would not have camel toe!
angelbel +

This bird you cannot change

Times thanked
< 297

Quote:

Originally Posted by liseyt

they were delish bel! we actually finished off the last of them last night! We have also saved the juice and going to add it to the next batch! Although the juice was a bit sweet and I am trying to figure out what to add to counter the sweetness (not salt).

Will get the recipe soon!

We always kept the juice left over and used it as vinegar on fish and chips. Yum!

The only downside to pickled onions is yucky breath
Gentlemen, we just seized an airfield.
That was pretty fucking ninja.

Cavey +

^_~

Times thanked
< 156

Quote:

Deal!

\o/

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,435
Am I the only one who keeps seeing this thread title and reading "pickled vag"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
yes dave, yes.
(◕.◕u)
fatman1234 +

Times thanked
< 3
Speaking of cured meats, I went to Sydney's home of it today. Pino's Dolce Vita and Fine Foods in Kogarah. Only picked up some prosciutto and really hot salami(calabrese i think??), they have a 2 yr old(can't remember the proper name) prosciutto style of meat that goes for $300 odd a kg.

Quinces are in season at the moment, they are only available 1-2 months a year, so now is the time to make quince paste/jam.
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
gonna make home-cured duck prosciutto this weekend! =D

like this:

http://theroaminggastrognome.com/201...ciutto-part-1/
http://theroaminggastrognome.com/201...ciutto-part-2/

yummm!
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
< 3,499
Oooer excellent bump!

Currently on day 3 of first attempt at curing pork belly aka MAKIN' BACON!

Almost time to drain and flip but we're doing the river cottage method of 5 days curing then another 5 days standing for total of 10 days (sans leaving the meat outside though, not that game yet…)

If this is successful the next lot I'll look at cold smoking with hickory woodchips
Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,499
1kg of pork belly washed and dried:

The cure, equal measures of salt and sugar (with a bit of palm sugar added) plus some crushed bay leaves:

A handful of the cure in the bottom of the container, belly on top then another handful on top and rubbed into the sides:

Then in to the fridge, I've opted for the sealed container on my first attempt. Will grab a photo tonight when it comes time to flip and pour off the liquid (so much liquid comes out!!!)
Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,499
From tonight

Doesn't look like much yet, but it is getting quite firm! And there's still lots of liquid coming off this bad boy.
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Times thanked
< 934
hmmm, my friend made bacon about 2 weeks ago and now he's a bit chicken about eating it due to the kind of salt he used... Did you use curing salt or just regular salt?
Fuck Everything Forever
Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,499
I used regular salt. The curing salt you speak of contains sodium nitrate, and everyone I've spoke to ie. shop-keeps and butchers—have said that it is illegal to sell to anyone but commercial entities (plus I have a preference for not using it).

Anyway, it's not like I'm going to be eating this raw. I'll be slicing and cooking so all should be good. Plus I figure keeping it in the fridge rather than in the cupboard should save me from botulism.
phoneyhuh +

3o~

Times thanked
< 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickstah View Post

I used regular salt. The curing salt you speak of contains sodium nitrate, and everyone I've spoke to ie. shop-keeps and butchers—have said that it is illegal to sell to anyone but commercial entities (plus I have a preference for not using it).

Anyway, it's not like I'm going to be eating this raw. I'll be slicing and cooking so all should be good. Plus I figure keeping it in the fridge rather than in the cupboard should save me from botulism.

Not true. Sounds like they either don't know or just want to scare you off so that you'll keep buying their smallgoods. lol

I buy it by the kilo from here. I've tried both with and without and I prefer it with nitrites, it makes it more bacony/hammy and less porky, and it gives it a nice pale pink colour. Plus you've got less chance of dying. As for your salt, just make sure it's unbleached and uniodized.

BTW; I currently have orange & star anise cured duck procuitto aging and a kilo slab of loin brining for bacon in the fridge. To be cold smoked for 8 hours this weekend

Last edited by phoneyhuh: 23-Aug-12 at 09:08pm

Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,499
Sweet, cheers for the hot tip!!

Salt is definitely not bleached or iodised. I'll see how this ones goes and if I don't like the flavour then will definitely grab some curing salts.
emskina +

StKE

Times thanked
< 93
I did a cured side of salmon at Christmas, you know, Euro/gravlax style. I used beetroot & orange as part of the cure. It was delicious!
Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,499
Ooooer sounds interesting. Got any more deets on that Emsk?
phoneyhuh +

3o~

Times thanked
< 206
You really should buy this book mick. My knowledge of preserved meats went up a hundred fold just from reading the introduction. And then there's the recipes...*drool*
emskina +

StKE

Times thanked
< 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickstah View Post

Ooooer sounds interesting. Got any more deets on that Emsk?

I kind of free-wheeled it from a variety of recipes, but it was basically a mixture of salt, some sugar, fresh dill, pepper, grated fresh beetroot, orange zest, couple of table spoons of fresh squeezed orange juice and/or vodka. (I had to go sans alcohol cos of the kids at Christmas and my overly zealous sister re: the booze factor = major bummer). Nevertheless, it was still awesome.

Covered it in the cure and weighed it down (in the fridge) for a few days, drained off the excess liquid and turned it every now and then. Because of the beetroot it was this amazing fluoro pick stain on the outside. Here's a pic of some of it all sliced up. I lived on it for days after Xmas.
  • Attached Thumbnails

Click image for larger version

Name:	salmon.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	35230  
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
Duck prosciutto success ^-^

Still got a second breast to slice up. Gonna cure some more this weekend.. get a production line happening hehe =P
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 1,004
are you slicing it with a knife? i would think it would be difficult to get it nice and thin that way...
nah mate
grapsta +

8 pinballs at the courthouse...yeeeeah

Times thanked
< 28
be pretty much impossible to get paper thin would'nt it
Tunes for the bus volume 2
https://soundcloud.com/grapsta/tunes-for-the-bus-vol-2
amy winehouse vs big youth / silverstones vs g.corp & big youth/ lord echo /salmonella dub /K-tel harvery /richie phoe/ sola rosa / donny hathaway - ( beatsy collins rmx)

Last edited by grapsta: 05-Sep-12 at 06:42pm

kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
Not paper thin, no, but sliced as thinly as possible using a good knife that I got from Japan (Kai Shun knife like this one, but much cheaper to buy in back home)

dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 1,004
i've got a kasumi
nah mate
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,435

Quote:

Originally Posted by grapsta View Post

be pretty much impossible to get paper thin would'nt it

A good trick for that is to put the meat in the freezer til it stiffens but doesn't fully freeze. You can then slice super thin with a good knife.
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,426
Bumping this.

I made some pickled Banana chillies a few weeks back. Pretty rad. Although I did equal parts water and vinegar, probably should have enough done 2/3 vinegar.
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 1,004
that's a great idea. would love some pickled jalapeños. wish i did it while i had a chilli tree
nah mate
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,426
Yeah I had some garlic and caysan chillies in with them too. The chillies lose their heat completely, just a bit of bite, real tasty.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

ether1988 +

Times thanked
< 98
This is a damn fine thread. Getting me inspired!
Gussigan +

business dog is all about business

Times thanked
< 3,768
bump.. thought i'd do a search on curing meats and there was already a thread..

just made my first bacon: http://gusfacegrillah.wordpress.com/...plained-bacon/

and currently have my first pastrami being smoked too!

is anyone else still curing meats? i like the sound of the duck prosciutto
Gusface Grillah
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,426
Nice one. I worked with my dad making smallgoods one summer. He was the bacon and ham guy, worked there for 35 years. Damn he did an amazing job with that, tastiest bacon ever. Place shut down a few years back though, never been satisfied since
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

shonk +

Times thanked
< 3
^^ cooked bacon on the pancakes looks awesome! an advantage of making your own bacon is that the cuts bought fresh are almost certainly from a sow as opposed to a boar. boars go to bacon for the most part,. The boars are less tasty, pretty sure the meat looks much darker too
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »