Tools
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
Billy Hydes Allans
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-2...ership/4217864

Discounts pending.

Pity for the industry that the currency has been so good recently.
khaiyin +

Lightnite

Times thanked
< 4
Sad to hear they're in struggle-town. Feel bad for the friendly staff who work there.
BUT liquidation discounts!
/|±±|\
meldavid +

I used to be a raver like you, but then I took a kick to the knee.

Times thanked
< 604
I'll be on a lookout for a hammer-wieghted 88 key MIDI controller.
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
Can't say I'm all that sad to see the behemoth cut down to size if it means we see a return to the days of smaller local Sydney music stores - yeah it's a bummer that peeps job security is in question, but most of allans/bh gear has been pretty damn pricey ever since that merger.

They'd driven me away as a customer in recent years, kind of got tired having to haggle with them for anything close to fair price.

I moved to the north burbs a while ago and stumbled across Turrumurra music as being my awesome local - could use a little more floor space, but they've good online prices and seem like a bit more of an honest mob.
chickenbum +

Times thanked
< 28
yeah it was bound to happen, i mean FFS they have had a virus TI Polar in there for the past 3 years for around $3k, its been thrashed by kids walking in and smashing the keys and they still want top dollar for it
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
Ah that sucks... Those guys cut some good deals.
Tech-One
hpstekno +

Times thanked
< 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by diarx View Post

Can't say I'm all that sad to see the behemoth cut down to size if it means we see a return to the days of smaller local Sydney music stores - yeah it's a bummer that peeps job security is in question, but most of allans/bh gear has been pretty damn pricey ever since that merger.

They'd driven me away as a customer in recent years, kind of got tired having to haggle with them for anything close to fair price.

I moved to the north burbs a while ago and stumbled across Turrumurra music as being my awesome local - could use a little more floor space, but they've good online prices and seem like a bit more of an honest mob.

agree turra music is the bomb shop ..
hopselectroniks@myspace
MY JJJunearthed page
Phorte +

Times thanked
< 9
in SA we have Derringers who are quick to give discounts (sometimes even matching online prices). never had such luck with Billy Hydes... hope to see some liquidation sales!!!
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49
I want a Bassman, or a Twin Reverb. Calling dibs on any in the city shop.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146
A rather sad outcome.

I was working as a retail store manager for years with Brackenbury (Digicall/Vodafone) and during the time they purchased Allans, to just prior to the Billy Hydes merger. My wife was a state trainer for Brackenbury, making store visits to Allans, coaching and providing support to staff and managers. I had a hand in the writing of the studio tech and synth training modules for new staff, and visited Allans as part of own career development, and therefore gained considerable insight into the workings of Allans, and its dramatic makeover (for the better). And funnily enough, I happened to do my work experience back in 1990 at Andy Evans Drumcraft in Surry Hills, Sydney, before it was taken over to become Billy Hydes Drumcraft (and then to the Allans Billy Hydes today).

Prior to Brackenbury taking over around 2005, there was no consistency in store merchandising, training, ordering. Every store basically did what it wanted, the stores were full of superceded stock, one of everything, across the range. Incredibly wasteful. This was quickly cleaned up, bringing in a centralised stock ordering model, along with slick store refits and thorough training, coaching and development of staff. As expected, there was staff turnover, however, with the new people coming through the ranks, a great staff foundation was being laid out, great gear was being stocked, and pricing was sharper.

So where did it go so wrong?

I wasn't with Brackenbury for the past few years, so have been out of touch with the merger with Billy Hydes. I can only think it comes down to the pricing model. Somehow it works for Harvey Norman to slap retail price tickets on everything, then only reduce the price when someone brings in a competitor quote (but Harvey Norman tends to own the land/shops surrounding many of their premises, and so has as rental return regardless if no-one actually steps in their doors).

But Allans did match prices. But perhaps that's not enough, especially not against the internet.

As a comparison, Turramusic would straight off the bat offer a 20-25% discount making it easy to feel like one's getting a great deal. They've always been great for the 25+ years I've been shopping with them. But how Turramusic managed without floorspace for so long, I don't know. (Though haven't they expanded into one of the shops next door in recent years?). I wonder how strong business is for the likes of Turra these days? Gear is cheap, margins are less, people prefer software for much of their studio needs (and often aren't even prepared to pay for that), and gear from overseas is still cheaper.

Anyway, so sad to see Allans/Billy Hydes demise. So much time, money and effort had been poured into it to make it awesome. Seems that no sale was still seen as a better alternative to a lower-than-expecting margin, and then the cash flow stops.

Or is it a imported/wholesaler/distributer issue? Or the international companies dictating pricing into Australia?

A real bugger about the 'no gift cards' thing. That should be overhauled by the government in exactly the same way the travel industry operates in Australia, where the funds are not held by the business until the customer actually wishes to redeem their gift card credit.
http://www.tcf.org.au/

Last edited by Spectrum: 25-Aug-12 at 05:31pm

chickenbum +

Times thanked
< 28
I went to Allans today and made an offer for the Virus Polar TI...the ticket price was $3999!!!!!!!!!!

I said whats your best best price....they said $3999.

Thats why they are going broke
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
< 69
I think the Harvey Norman model can't be compared too directly, because HN sell a range of crap that the many not so internet saavy buyers are happy to travel for and buy, and shit that people want on the spot there and then eg: "My TV blew up/fridge died/bed broke and I need another one today, cos I have to work the rest of the week". Their price matching policy sucks arse too. They wouldn't match a plasma I had lined up from a reputable online store with delivery, they wanted $50 more because I'd have got it that day if I bought off HN.

I don't think I've ever bought anything off Billy Hydes Allans because I've never found them to be price competitive.
soundcloud
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickenbum View Post

I went to Allans today and made an offer for the Virus Polar TI...the ticket price was $3999!!!!!!!!!!

I saw that virus today. Yeah it's fucked cosmetically. There is also a Mesa boogie head with the timber frame coming apart (like a six inch crack must have been dropped)and the tolex ripped.

They want 4999 for it lol.
adamski007 +

Times thanked
< 3
Bought every single bit of gear through these guys..
http://soundcloud.com/adamski007
http://www.beatport.com/artist/adamski007/118878
http://www.junodownload.com/artists/Adamski007/tracks/
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

Or is it a imported/wholesaler/distributer issue? Or the international companies dictating pricing into Australia?

I work for a fairly big Melbourne based consumer electronics wholesaler, we supply to JBHifi etc, anyway, in the last year or so we've pretty much dropped even approaching companies like JB with new products, big companies like that are squeezing the shit out of suppliers to cut their margins because the retail outlets aren't willing to change their margins and basically the internet is screwing everyone with a store front.

My boss's answer. We're going direct with more and more products. Import ourself, sell ourself, that way we can sell without the retail margins and still be competitive with online prices....... JB are starting to do the same, that or source cheap OEM shit....

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
camlv +

Yeah nah

Times thanked
< 513
I wonder how the likes of Store DJ and DJ Warehouse are going financially? Electronic music seems to be the cool thing these days, are people buying midi controllers and CDJs instead of guitars and drums?

I used to buy from Allans thinking that if something broke it would be easier to claim on warranty, never again after a manager, who clearly didn't understand warranty laws, went psycho at me.
http://soundcloud.com/talismusic
meldavid +

Times thanked
< 604
If I order Maschine direct from NI it's only $399. Even less with discount codes. Getting it from a local store its $449.
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by meldavid View Post

If I order Maschine direct from NI it's only $399. Even less with discount codes. Getting it from a local store its $449.

Yes but it will take 6 months to get here if you buy from the ni store. Google for other's experiences with ni shipping times.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
< 3,900

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickenbum View Post

A year or so ago i got them to price match a piece of kit based on a listing on the storedj website ... it was only a Korg nanoKontrol, but i wanted it THEN and i wanted it cheap!
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlv View Post

I wonder how the likes of Store DJ and DJ Warehouse are going financially? Electronic music seems to be the cool thing these days, are people buying midi controllers and CDJs instead of guitars and drums?

We pitched some controllers to JB earlier in the year. The shit sells like hotcakes, especially the cheap shit, not sure compared to drums and guitars though.

Expect a flood of Audioline/Sanyo etc type controllers if it hasn't happened already, we were told its on the horizon.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

Originally Posted by defected819 View Post

Yes but it will take 6 months to get here if you buy from the ni store. Google for other's experiences with ni shipping times.

My copy of battery3 took about 4 weeks from NI iirc, thought that was fair enough.

Bought maschine off a fleabay US seller way back when the dollar was really good though - price was still pretty high for maschine back then, especially locally as it was still rather new. Took only a couple of weeks to get here though. Currently if $449 is the going price locally then yeah, definitely better to buy local than wait.

Last edited by diarx: 29-Aug-12 at 03:41pm

meldavid +

Times thanked
< 604
My very first order from NI (Guitar Rig Kontrol) took 6 weeks, but I reckon they deliberately delayed despatch to make sure I wasn't a scammer.

My next two orders from them, on two separate occasions were very quick. Komplete 8 Upgrade came in 1 week. Heavyocity Damage took 4 days.

In all cases I used the free postage option.
chickenbum +

Times thanked
< 28
some food for thought

Last Thursday i bought ReFX Nexus2 online, on tuesday (four days later) it arrived in a fedex box at my work. not bad i must say
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
Why the physical copy? Doesn't that add unnecessary cost while we're on the topic of lower prices?
chickenbum +

Times thanked
< 28
Nexus2 is only available as a physical copy, you can buy it online and get the serial right away but they send out a dvd with content and an elicencer
frenzik +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by defected819 View Post

Took ten working days for me.
TheNextBestThing +

Times thanked
< 28
I think piracy, the uncompetitive prices in a global marketplace, the decline in traditional musicians and the fact that you can purchase an assembly line ghost production for a price comparable to a standard midi keyboard have all contributed to the decline.
khaiyin +

Lightnite

Times thanked
< 4
"The administrators have sacked 56 staff and are starting a clearance sale of all stock in preparation for final closure of the business. Ferrier Hodgson partner James Stewart said 56 jobs had been cut, mainly at the company's Melbourne head office, as part of a restructure to prepare AMG for a closure that will lead to 608 employees being made redundant.

While discussions with potential buyers were continuing in the hope of executing a last-minute sale, Mr Stewart said a deal wasn't expected. If there is no sale, the closure process will involve winding up the 27-store chain Allans Billy Hyde, as well as its import and wholesale businesses Musiclink and Intermusic, with about $45m in stock being cleared at discount prices."

http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/cl...down-sale.aspx
/|±±|\
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
When is that sale meant to be starting? Yet to see a price that resembled a 20-40% discount.
BasketCase +

Times thanked
< 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fewsion View Post

When is that sale meant to be starting? Yet to see a price that resembled a 20-40% discount.

It has started... and you won't see a price that resembles 20-40% off... because it is 20-40% off the marked prices.
I was in the Allan's Store on Botany Road today. Some stuff was even markets "ONO".
twofortytwo +

Times thanked
< 7
Even after the discounts, sounddevices.com.au are still cheaper.
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,467
Don't even bother going in. They are having a laugh.
meldavid +

Times thanked
< 604
I was considering getting an ES7 from them as their listed price beats other stores, since it includes the stand and pedals. But don't really know fer sure it's the model I want.

I may just go for the Roland A-88 midi controller (no onboard sounds) which will be around $1000, and get a Wii U or PS3 with the coin I save.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
50-80% off could be the right time to strike this weekend...

Anyone seen what's left, or perhaps, everything's left?
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
< 69
80% off sheet music, fuck yes, I'm going to get me some Pink.
soundcloud
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
< 179
The Taren Point way is basically empty.
Very little left in the store, bunch of cymbals, couple of guitars, and some random headphones.
Grabbed a monotribe for 140, complete impulse buy. Not really sure why, seemed like a good idea at the time.
There's a few little mixers that would be worth looking at for half price, and a bunch of d.i's.
That was about it i think..
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
< 69
Cheers for the heads up, Taren Point is my closest port of call. I was hoping for a cheap quality PA power amp but won't bother going for a look.
soundcloud
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
Any news on the Camperdown store?
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
< 179
Just checked it out, pretty grim, not as bad as Taren Point.

Grabbed a copy of waves silver for 248 and a bunch of cables.
There's some carillon mixers, few copies of battery and some of the other cheaper waves bundles; maserati and musician.
Also one 8" rokit and a sub..and a bunch of vestax all in one dj things.

Few other bit's n bobs, worth scoping out still
Beats
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign View Post

Just checked it out, pretty grim, not as bad as Taren Point.

Grabbed a copy of waves silver for 248 and a bunch of cables.
There's some carillon mixers, few copies of battery and some of the other cheaper waves bundles; maserati and musician.
Also one 8" rokit and a sub..and a bunch of vestax all in one dj things.

Few other bit's n bobs, worth scoping out still

Thanks heaps for the info tbd. Did you notice any keyboards/synths leftover?
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
< 179
Yeah man there were a couple of korg synths, not sure what they were, big ass bits though; think they would've been 88 keys but not sure.
Didn't really give em to close a look sorry dude.
Beats
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
I'll be heading in tomorrow to check it out. 88 keys is what I'm after. Thanks again.
Funkedub +

Times thanked
< 3,900
Wasn't much music tech toys left in the Brisbane store today ... Some mixers though!

I did the sensible thing and grabbeme cables I needed/wanted ... Best way I've
spent $30 in a while!
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
It was pretty dire at Camperdown in Sydney, few cables, some xylophones and some Korg M3s for $1000. Hardly an 80% discount.
Garrety +

Times thanked
< 2
Impulse bought a Monotribe from the Syndey CBD store for $112 yesterday! - There was one left if it's not already gone...
Justin_m23 +

Times thanked
< 5
Any fun software still left at the CBD store?
Funkedub +

Times thanked
< 3,900
There was a few bits of software in the BNE store, but only a couple had any decent discount ... the rest were pretty much still at full price.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
70-90% off now.

Need some advice on which store in Sydney to attend. Anything of note left anywhere?
meldavid +

Times thanked
< 604
Were there any Korg Wavedrum Oriental editions going cheap?
ztnap +

Times thanked
< 3
Soundcorp has some pretty good deals too imo
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »