Current Affairs and Politics

Weak sentencing

Page 2 of 2
  Tools
Bergs +

Ya mum

Times thanked
< 1,439
Seen a large number of Norwegians defending it on twitter. Was not expecting that!
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,120
I'm not saying it should have been, but if given the option of releasing him after 21 years (if it was mandatory to release) or putting him in a mental hospital... the picture gets cloudy.

Bergs, what is "it", him killing them or the sentence?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

Bergs +

Ya mum

Times thanked
< 1,439
The sentence
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
< 1,726

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

brevik got what he wanted, it was declared perfectly sane to kill kids of a particular political persuasion because their party is allegedly flooding your country with immigrants

But it's the opposite of what the worlds racist right wanted because now they can't write him off as being insane but have to face the fact that their entire far right movement has set this bar for human behaviour.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,437

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergs View Post

Seen a large number of Norwegians defending it on twitter. Was not expecting that!

Not surprising at all, he got the maximum sentence, and most Norwegians want to see him in jail rather than be put in a mental institution.

Norwegians in general are very reasonable, rational people, and I'd suggest they're less likely to react in a knee-jerk manner to the sentence than Australians would.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

I'm not saying it should have been, but if given the option of releasing him after 21 years (if it was mandatory to release) or putting him in a mental hospital... the picture gets cloudy.

But as has been noted from the start, he can in fact be imprisoned indefinitely, so I'm not sure why it's even being discussed.

Last edited by SpaceMonkey: 24-Aug-12 at 10:19pm

Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,435
Law is law motherfuckers.

Without law where would society be? It's one of the very first traits of humanity.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

Norwegians in general are very reasonable, rational people, and I'd suggest they're less likely to react in a knee-jerk manner to the sentence than Australians would.

Generalisations don't offer much in the way of anything.
YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
< 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergs View Post

Why not? It's the maximum sentence allowable under their legal system, which also provides for indefinite detention should he pose a danger to society. As spacemonkey says, the integrity of the legal system is more important than achieving this one particular outcome (especially when it could potentially set a rather dangerous precedent).

Likewise I will defend life sentences given in Australia to advocates of capital punishment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

As to Brevik's sanity, if he was a Muslim who was being convicted of terrorism his sanity wouldn't even be questioned, it's only because he's white and Christian that people seem reluctant to accept that his actions were carried out in sanity. And while his beliefs are fucked up the guy is definitely rational and fit to answer for his actions.

I tend to agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_e_de View Post

It's the same as going out on a busy street and looking at the people around you, most of them are fgts.

dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,753
The sentence is the maximum allowable

also - the sentence can be extended indefinitely.

the dickhead will never get out
Hopped in the car and torpe'ed to the shack
Of Shaheed, "We gotta go back" when he said
"Why?" I said, "We gotta go
'Cause I left my wallet in El Segundo"

http://twitter.com/derekbradley
http://untappd.com/user/dbb618

https://plus.google.com/117630500124...73/posts?hl=en
horst +

Times thanked
< 423
Most intersting is that the Norwegian court in essence has determined that psychopathy is not a mental health disease.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,437

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fewsion View Post

Generalisations don't offer much in the way of anything.

Disagree, they offer a fair bit when explaining something like the majority of responses from a particular group on twitter.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,437

Quote:

Originally Posted by horst View Post

Most intersting is that the Norwegian court in essence has determined that psychopathy is not a mental health disease.

I think the question is not whether he's sick, but whether he is sufficiently rational to be held accountable for his actions. I'd contend that he's a sociopath, but a rational one.
Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »