Sport and Fitness

Scuba Diving ~!

Closed thread
  Tools
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
< 4,706
heres pic with u/w housing
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
< 4,706
Media Player
SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephalapod chewing legend

Times thanked
< 2,926

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

Spokes, gotta go for a dive with you in the next few weeks I reckon. Might even be able to sneak you a free nitrox fill or two (at 37-40 of course, none of this 30% crap).

Before this slips into the last page, for sure. I'm currently developing a horrid case of bronchitis that i'll have to get through first, but i'll start throwing dates at you next week

Bracko, gearwise for the photographer, you mean dive gear or camera gear? Answer to both is not really his dive gear is quite well worn in, the guy really likes shark point, clovelly
Everyone knows your snorkeling is just a cover for transition to Aqua Aerobics.
SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,926
Jarrard, looks like it's a good quality contender to the gopro's, their only failing is the consumer quality.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,706
consumer quality?
SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,926
i'm currently sick and braindead so explanations will have to come later
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
gopro's have a tendency to die.

spokes, camera gear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
Media Player

colleague just sent me this, his group he usually dives with. skip to the middle somewhere.

Quote:

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
Conditions pretty schmick off the desal outflows at Kurnell today, about 15c at 30m, 12m vis, nice and calm topside. Nice day to be working
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
So what PPO2 do you work to in commercial diving?

I'm guessing the sufafed worked.

Quote:

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

So what PPO2 do you work to in commercial diving?

I'm guessing the sufafed worked.

1.6 is our limit, EAD of 50m which is the commercial depth limit for air diving. Allows for 40min no-deco time at 30m on a 40% EAN mix.

Just ordered me a new wettie, 7mm 2 piece custom Seatec with utility pocket, piss zip and 3/4 zip jacket with drysuit style neck seal, got some 5mm bootie socks as well, no more stump foot for me.

Last edited by SpaceMonkey: 05-Sep-12 at 11:49am

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,706
15 degrees. bloody hell.

so when the weather gets warmer this year i'm going to do my advanced course
SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,926
That was at 30m. Prob 16-17 above 15m I'd say. Still fucken feverish, I'm hoping beyond hope I'll be able to get in this weekend.

As well as doing your aow, try and get in as many dives as you can. Experience and practice really counts.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,706
oh yeah for sure, i got some mates getting their OW when it gets warmer too so i'll be diving a bit this summer hopefully.

prob head up and down the coast too for weekend trips.
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
If you are diving on your own it might come in handy to have a rescue diver in your group.

Last edited by Bracko: 05-Sep-12 at 01:56pm

SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,926
Why would you want to take a diver that needs rescuing?
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
without doing the course how would they be able to spot an anxious diver or one that is task narrowing

Quote:

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
And if you're diving on your own, how can you have anyone in your group?
SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,926
metaphysical diving, i like it
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
< 23,276

Quote:

K. Lots of K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heraclitus

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,706
nah we dont have our own gear so will be going through diving companies with gear hire
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205

Quote:

stop with your damn details

Quote:

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

nah we dont have our own gear so will be going through diving companies with gear hire

You can just hire tear and go out for a dive yourselves with it if you're so inclined remember, that's part of the point of you OW training.

I'm sure there will be a few of us keen to meet up for weekend diving this summer, maybe we should organise an ITM Sydney diver's group?
SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,926

Quote:

I jumped into club diving straight away, racked up an average of two dives a week for the first year. Started getting my kit bit by bit and got familiar with that with plenty of experienced divers around willing to lend a hand or advice.

After a few months my usual buddy, with the same amount of experience (probably about 35 dives by then), and I went for a night dive. We were the only ones that turned up due to it being close to bad diving conditions. We checked out the spot (it was bare island, which we'd done a fair bit by then), determined which wall we'd do based on the conditions, and that we were more confident with our directions on this site and went ahead with the dive.

Had no issues and had a nice easy dive. This gave us confidence to be able to do the same when we felt like it, yet have both continued with the club diving for the most part. Even with the greater experience now than then, it's still comforting to have a good group about you, and to give back so we can be the ones to help out the lesser experienced divers, and it's a convenient way to dive.

I know when i'm off diving with a mate or group of mates, that if i'm uncomfortable with the dive in any way, that i can call it off at anytime. If i felt like i couldn't do this, you wouldn't see me near the water. You are relying on your buddies to keep you alive in the worst case scenario, you want the confidence you'll be looked after and that none of you will be diving out of your limits.

So there's the case for club diving, and with the right people, it can be just as simple to go off with your own group.

As an example, when we can, Spacemonkey and i will be getting in soon hopefully, we've not dived together, but I know Dave, and I know enough to know how we would and wouldn't be underwater, i've got no issues at all with arranging that dive. Likewise i've dived with Bracko (on frogdive club dives), and would get in the water with this Dave any time again as well.
SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,926
Rather than edit to include this, yep Dave, I'd be up for that for sure.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,706
im still really inexperienced compared to you all though. and i'm never as keen in cold waters lol.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488

Quote:

im still really inexperienced compared to you all though. and i'm never as keen in cold waters lol.

Good for you, means you'll be safer as you'll have more experienced buddies.... more rescue certifications than you're ever gonna need between me, spokes and Bracko!
Plus I'm personally not gonna give a shit if you're diving with me and you're only on an open water ticket and you exceed 18m or surface with less than 50bar, though I wouldn't be pushing you to do either. If you're diving with more experienced peeps just make sure you have all your hand signals sussed and communicate clearly with them underwater so they know if you're getting low on air or out of your comfort zone, and they'll look after you.

And re the water temps, get a better wetsuit. 16-17 degrees is fine if you've got a hood, gloves, decent 2-piece or semi-dry and boots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,706
lol i dont have a wetsuit.
plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
< 645

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPOKEYDOKEY View Post

metaphysical diving, i like it

jrod-science.gif
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205

Quote:

lol i dont have a wetsuit.

should be your first purchase IMO.. plus they're pretty cheap now. hire wetsuits are craptastic, they don't fit and people piss in them.

Quote:

plan-b +

Times thanked
< 645

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

people piss in them.

This

Keep an eye out on http://www.wetsuitwarehouse.com.au/

My 5mm cost me ~$140. Winters over now, but is it worth picking up a semi dry now for next winter? Got a bit chilli on a few dives (even with my sharkskin). I really hate diving with my hood too, will keep it for the really cold dives though.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
Yep. Get yourself a semi-dry on sale somewhere J-Rod, you'll be good for 3 seasons in Sydney. Get a hood too, they make a huge difference when it's colder.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
I think I've posted this before but this is the order I'd buy gear in if I was starting out as a diver in Sydney:

Mask/snorkel
Fins/booties
Wetsuit (pref a semi-dry)
Hood/gloves
Computer
BCD
Regs
Weight belt
Tank(s)
Boat
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,706

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan-b View Post

jrod-science.gif

lol you know you can just google "jrod science" and it comes up.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=j...DuSSiAf8n4GADQ
SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,926
i'm waiting on the lottery win to get the boat...and a house with a deeeep pool
plan-b +

Times thanked
< 645

Quote:

lol you know you can just google "jrod science" and it comes up.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=j...DuSSiAf8n4GADQ

Yup. Yesterday when I tried though it looked like it had been deleted from photobucket. Could've been our shitty Internet connection at work though.
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205

Quote:

I think I've posted this before but this is the order I'd buy gear in if I was starting out as a diver in Sydney:

Mask/snorkel
Fins/booties
Hood/gloves
Computer
BCD
Regs
Weight belt
Tank(s)
Boat

generally i agree, but sydney specific, I'd do this... travel diving, buy regs. don't trust hire regs in a 3rd world country.

Mask/snorkel
Fins/booties
Regs/computer
BCD

Hood/gloves
Tank(s)
Boat
island

n.b. this is all just opinion from me, i went crazy and bought a full setup! but from what i saw you don't save much from just hiring a few bits and pieces, so i decided to buy everything at once.

Quote:

Last edited by Bracko: 07-Sep-12 at 12:40am

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,706
Mask/snorkel
Fins/booties
Regs/computer
BCD
Hood/gloves
Tank(s)
Boat
island
Coral Reef
Ocean

IMO
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
I have no desire to own a reef or ocean personally. A private island would be pretty pimpin' though.

Anyone up for a dive this weekend?

Last edited by SpaceMonkey: 07-Sep-12 at 01:03pm

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,706
wheres somewhere good to go for a cheap diving trip for say 5 days (not diving every day).

i was thinking cairns or whitsundays but they arent exactly cheap are they? is there cheap ways to do this?
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
Diving's cheaper in Asia, but you have to get there first. Gotta remember that running a dive boat costs money, especially in Australia, so it's never gonna be that cheap. Maybe just go down to Jervis Bay for the weekend or something?

Quote:

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
Seal rocks?

Whitsundays diving isn't that great from what I have heard. Cairns if you get cheap flights can be okay, but the best diving is on the ribbon reef liveaboard trips. Taka is the cheapest but mike ball go close with specials.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
Another option would be to get a cheap flight to Auckland and go and do the Poor Knights (the boats go from Tutukaka about 2 hours north, and the diving is pretty fucking awesome), awesome diving though I'd wait til January-March when the weather there settles. Actually now I think about it I might go do them again when I go home for xmas.

Quote:

Quote:

plan-b +

Times thanked
< 645
Got back from a weekend on Flinders Reef last night, absolutely stunner weekend, did a total of 7 dives in about 5 sites including Mary's Lair, Gotham City, Cementco and JJJ.

I take back everything bad I've ever said about diving with a hood, first two dives I came up with a severe tension related headache brought on by the cold, think I copped a mouthful of seawater and was borderline fish feeding when back on deck as well, donned my hood and snorkel for the rest of the weekend, only time I had issues was we got cold again on Gotham City yesterday morning (which is about 38m deep).

Last dive we did I procrastinated about whether or not to go, ended up deciding to head down, got to the bottom and 3 minutes in there was a beautiful 2.5m grey nurse shark coming to suss us out, then as we were getting back onto the boat, we were treated to a whale and calf playing around about 50m off the stern, the shark made going for the dive worthwhile, the whales splashing was the icing on the cake. Absolutely amazing weekend all in all

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Just to clarify where the line is drawn:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK
  • Starting a new joke train on them when they're not around: Please don't

SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,926
top stuff! So cool what we get to experience doing this.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
^yeah I hated hoods for ages but they're really an essential item and fine when you get used to them.

New camera battery arrived today in the mail, might have to go out for a sneaky dive tomorrow as I'm not working.

Quote:

Quote:

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
Couple of bargains here:

http://www.scubadiving.com.au/tighta...d=%5BUNIQID%5D

The Cressi regs for $189 are a steal as are the Mares Volo fins for $39 (no straps but that means you can chuck a set of aftermarket spring straps like these on them, giving you some quality spring heeled fins for $76 all-up).

Quote:

Quote:

SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,926
Off to Canberra this weekend, I should be able to get in the following weekend if you're keen Dave. I'll post here before then.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
Sweet, I ought to be up for it. Just got my new custom fitted 7mm wettie, tis pretty toasty!
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
how much better is custom fitted? the 2 wetties that I have I just bought a slightly smaller size, after a few dives they seemed to mold to my body beer gut.

Quote:

Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »