Techno / Electro / Minimal

Labyrinth 2011

Tools
MitchhctiM +

Times thanked
< 69
It is rather strange as in that recent RA interview he said he only plays live these days. Svreca and then 4 hours of PVH is going to be brutal.
Delivery57 +

Times thanked
< 1
When you think something looks strange, the thing to remember about Labyrinth is that the organisers have an uncanny knack for knowing what will work, things that we might consider strange, and that's because they spend a year sweating on every detail. Sometimes when others think they won't work. They booked Function to play solo when he rarely did, and it was THE most mindblowing set of 2009, just as PvH's set was the year before when he was a relative unknown, getting everybody out to the floor at 3am after torrential rain and technical problems. Voices From The Lake debuted at Labyrinth last year last year, when everybody said Dozzy didn't do live. One of the standouts of the weekend was when they closed the Sunday night. Scuba on opening night was an awesome choice that plenty questioned (the time, not the artist) before it happened in 2010. These guys know how to make a party work.

So bummed that I can't make it this year, after being at the last seven. Give my regards to the dancefloor, Mr Disco, and I'll eat a Mars bar in your honour. Hope to see you in Melbourne later in the year.
sounds_echoed +

stasis is death. see you on the other side.

Times thanked
< 318
Well said
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delivery57 View Post

So bummed that I can't make it this year, after being at the last seven. Give my regards to the dancefloor, Mr Disco, and I'll eat a Mars bar in your honour. Hope to see you in Melbourne later in the year.

you had my last Mars bar!!!!!
http://mnmlssg.blogspot.com/
noiser +

Times thanked
< 9
Shed is an amazing DJ. One of the best. I saw him play in Amsterdam a few years ago and it was incredible. Traversed a whole range of stuff in a really coherent way, excellent skills.

He has said in previous interviews (little white earbuds I think) that he prefers to DJ, he just always gets booked to play live.

Have fun everyone, I hope there are no dicks. That particular dick from last year was such a fucking asshole. I'm sure that was a once off.
Daniel Bell at The Mercat 22/03/13
Delivery57 +

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Disco View Post

you had my last Mars bar!!!!!

And I am forever in your debt!
liudic +

Times thanked
< 0
Heard shed play in berlin and he was sick,. he played b2b with dettman which i thought let it down but every track shed dropped was amazing, ive been waiting to hear him play on his own ever since,

(ps writing this from japan now so excited!! dozzy closing will be something very special im sure!
debaser86 +

Times thanked
< 410
Cloutier at dommune was something, great warm up/teaser for the times ahead.
mags +

Times thanked
< 144
^^^ Was about to ask that question. Excellent news. Go forth and Lab, friends!

House Music All Nite Long

Mar 8 | 4our BYO warehouser with Mareenae (Berlin/Tresor/Parallel)
4our | A BYO warehouse party
soundcloud
sounds_echoed +

Times thanked
< 318
Instead of him playing for an hour and half he went on for like 4hrs finishing at 4am.
mags +

Times thanked
< 144
Yeah he seems to me to really thrive on longer sets. Not that most DJs don't, actually, now that I think about it. 1.5hrs is so short!

soundcloud
Psyentist +

http://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann/

Times thanked
< 296
An hour and a half is too short for any DJ I reckon. 2hrs should be the absolute minimum. I couldn't stand up let alone DJ for some of the 8+ hour sets I've seen guys do though. That's just coco bananas.
Gene Hoffmann - Passive Aggressive (Tired and Emotional) 22-Feb-2014

Feat. Planetary Assault Systems, Ancient Methods, Peter Van Hoesen, Tripeo etc..

Set & Tracklist: http://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann/...ve-22-feb-2014

mags +

Times thanked
< 144
You'd be on the waters and energy bars or trail mix for sure - no getting messy in any way. I reckon I'd be starving at about the 4 hour mark...!

soundcloud
sounds_echoed +

Times thanked
< 318
mags: get him to play minimum 2.5 hrs
jordan__ +

Times thanked
< 1,857
Brief reports I've heard so far from the first night - Bee Mask was epic.

It's Dozzy day. Sending vibes to Japan!
Anomaly | Soundcloud | Only For Robots 058

playing next at
/// 17th May, TBA
/// 31st May, Truncate @ Agincourt Hotel
/// June, TBA

mags +

Times thanked
< 144
More reports pleeeease? Steffi was very positive on the FB. @Sounds: we are - we've booked him for 4our hours Trin and I both think there's no point getting someone all the way over here for 1.5 hours.

soundcloud
Psyentist +

Times thanked
< 296
I played a 4 hour set (far from a long one) last year and I was cramping at the calves and physically wrecked at the end of it. Admittedly though, I didn't prepare for the event like an Olympic athlete. I did put a nice dent into the esky prior to and during the set. If I was going to do something that long or longer again I'd be on the gatorade and muesli bars beforehand.
sounds_echoed +

Times thanked
< 318
Eric is a fit person
Psyentist +

Times thanked
< 296
Direct and uninterrupted access to a toilet is paramount. Either that, or some kind of gatorade bottle or bucket
Gene Hoffmann - Passive Aggressive (Tired and Emotional) 22-Feb-2014

Feat. Planetary Assault Systems, Ancient Methods, Peter Van Hoesen, Tripeo etc..

Set & Tracklist: http://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann/...ve-22-feb-2014

sounds_echoed +

Times thanked
< 318
Heard that Dozzy closed out Labyrinth with this gem

Media Player
Aphex Twin Didgeridoo - YouTube
jordan__ +

Times thanked
< 1,857
Ridiculous!

...reports peoples!? I imagine everyone is probably still piecing together bits of brain
Anomaly | Soundcloud | Only For Robots 058

playing next at
/// 17th May, TBA
/// 31st May, Truncate @ Agincourt Hotel
/// June, TBA

emulator +

arrogant prick

Times thanked
< 129
Still processing what was a very powerful weekend. I will say that Peter van Hoesen, Fred P, Dasha Rush, Appleblim, Svreca and Petar Dundov played amazing sets. However, nothing prepared me for what Dozzy unleashed to close the festival. It was an absolute tour de force and probably the equal best set I've ever heard. Totally mind blowing.
{strange signals}

Last edited by emulator: 18-Sep-12 at 09:06pm

debaser86 +

Times thanked
< 410
It's actually the best place in the world. Of course te music is amazing but it really is the beautiful Japanese people that make the festival what it is. Just lovely folk.

Musically I thought pvh was the highlight closely followed by donato. Shed was quite poor to be honest. I kind of got the impression he played a club set when the setting didn't really fit.

Anyone serious about techno needs to get to this festival, everything just works and the sound system is unbelievable. I'm pretty sure this festival has just about ruined any upcoming events or festivals, everything will pale in comparison.
definedbyrhythm +

Disconnect yourself

Times thanked
< 199
I'm so going in 2013. When I leave for Berlin in feb I've already decided I'm booking a return back via Japan for labyrinth.

Will just have to book another one way back to Berlin after that
sounds_echoed +

Times thanked
< 318
I only got a few festivals to attend before I die. Labyrinth being one of them, Decibel and MUTEK in North America, CTM and Unsound in Europe.

DEMF is the only one I've been to that I've actually enjoyed properly until today so hoping to go to those above mentioned ones to broaden my experience.
emulator +

arrogant prick

Times thanked
< 129
PVH's set was also otherworldly, and at some points was actually more intense than Dozzy's - it totally broke me which is perhaps why Dozzy cleaned me up totally on the Monday. Everyone has their own Labyrinth....
{strange signals}
Instant Sam +

Times thanked
< 21
did it rain and were there dickheads?
debaser86 +

Times thanked
< 410
Yeah it rained a bit, can't recall seeing any dickheads.
debaser86 +

Times thanked
< 410

Quote:

Originally Posted by emulator View Post

PVH's set was also otherworldly, and at some points was actually more intense than Dozzy's - it totally broke me which is perhaps why Dozzy cleaned me up totally on the Monday. Everyone has their own Labyrinth....

I agree completely, pvh's set was more intense. I was a bit surprised at how different those two sets felt in vibe, yet both were awesome in their own right.
theadrianclub +

Times thanked
< 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by debaser86 View Post

Yeah it rained a bit, can't recall seeing any dickheads.

There wasn't many mirrors there.
debaser86 +

Times thanked
< 410
*there weren't any mirrors there. You gigantic dickhead.
theadrianclub +

Times thanked
< 39
Dere waz'nt no miraz der.
sounds_echoed +

Times thanked
< 318
Now now guys... calm down. More talk of Laby experiences less of the other nonsense please?
debaser86 +

Times thanked
< 410
We were kidding. Throw us some questions or something and I'll happily answer them.
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 483
Peaken, managed to see steffi, svreca and van hoesen, but was kind of too sick to see the rest.
I think the post above hits the nail on the head, what really makes it work is the japanese people, the setting and the sound system.

That moment, when youre walking through the second car park, down the gang plank and the sound fills you up and the forrest engulfs you, is absolutely sublime.

There were moments when i was overwhelmed by just how fortunate i was to experience something so special and can't wait for next year.

How was Dasha Rush?
Friends said that Petar Dundov was exceptional (which came as a wild card to me, given from what of his i had heard was a more trance based sound).
theadrianclub +

Times thanked
< 39
Peta Dundov was fun as fuck. When he was playing I thought to myself it would surely be the highlight of the festival - beautiful rolling blissed out techno/trance in the sun that everyone was loving but then Svreca played and changed that entirely. It's pointless to split hairs to to who was 'better' between Dozzy and PvH, but they were both unbelievable and flawless. Dasha was also fantastic - starting with what sounded like tibetan bowl samples and slowly moving into trippy ambient techno. So and Hiyoshi on Sunday morning were pretty sick too - looking forward to seeing So at the exit party.

I thought was underwhelmed by Shed and Steffi, but they still played really fun sets.
debaser86 +

Times thanked
< 410
The amount of times I got that lovely feeling where you just get chills over your body was ridiculous. You also seem to have more of a connection with the artists, they all are down for a chat and in a happy mood.

I really can't stop gushing over this festival.
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 817
Lovely stuff. Keep the comments coming.

Or don't, as it is so depressing to only be reading them.

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 817
http://www.youtube.com/user/nerazzurro1976

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

debaser86 +

Times thanked
< 410
Yeah, was looking through them before. I make a few appearances, a tall, blonde, Australian bloke isn't exactly inconspicuous at the festival.
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 817
The PVH DJ set clips are amazing, that would of completely broke me

Quote:

sounds_echoed +

Times thanked
< 318
I've read enough, avoiding this thread now.
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 98
i don't really want to say much about labyrinth this year, those who were there, know what happened...

but i do want to thank all the international guests who came and contributed to an amazing couple of days. everyone fitted in perfectly and totally respected the vibe. there were no problems and everyone i met was super friendly and really understood what labyrinth was about. after the disappointing behaviour of some people last year, i was so happy to see how well everyone fitted in this year. these are the kind of people we want: proper, respectful people who understand what labyrinth is about. so thanks to all for helping to make an amazing couple of days.

and on a side note, extra thanks to everyone who made it to the mnml ssgs night at dommune with abdulla rashim and eric cloutier. that was the best night i have had at dommune in ages. that was a killer party!!!
http://mnmlssg.blogspot.com/
debaser86 +

Times thanked
< 410

Quote:

i don't really want to say much about labyrinth this year, those who were there, know what happened...

but i do want to thank all the international guests who came and contributed to an amazing couple of days. everyone fitted in perfectly and totally respected the vibe. there were
no problems and everyone i met was super friendly and really understood what labyrinth was about. after the disappointing behaviour of some people last year, i was so happy to see how well everyone fitted in this year.
these are the kind of people we want: proper, respectful people who understand what labyrinth is about. so thanks to all for helping to make an amazing couple of days.

and on a side note, extra thanks to everyone who made it to the mnml ssgs night at dommune with abdulla rashim and eric cloutier. that was the best night i have had at dommune in ages. that was a killer party!!!

After being there this year and being told of what happened last year it really is hard to imagine how someone could act in such a manner. The atmosphere and vibe from the people is truly amazing, you'd have to be an almighty dickhead to mess with that.

Was a pleasure to head to the dommune party, had an absolute ripper. Thanks for putting it on, was nice meeting you also.
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 817

Quote:

but i do want to thank all the international guests who came and contributed to an amazing couple of days. everyone fitted in perfectly and totally respected the vibe. there were no problems and everyone i met was super friendly and really understood what labyrinth was about. after the disappointing behaviour of some people last year, i was so happy to see how well everyone fitted in this year. these are the kind of people we want: proper, respectful people who understand what labyrinth is about. so thanks to all for helping to make an amazing couple of days.

Hey Chris, I know it's really early, but will Labyrinth 2013 (if happening) be Saturday 14th Sept – Monday 16th Sept? Or Saturday 21st Sept - Monday 23rd Sept?

Just trying to work out it based on this -
Labyrinth 2012 – Saturday 15th Sept – Monday 17th Sept
Labyrinth 2011 – Saturday 17th Sept –Monday 19th Sept
Labyrinth 2010 – Saturday 18th – Monday 20th September

Going to come home from a 1 month Europe trip via Lab. If this information is better suited to PM let me know...

Quote:

andyk1 +

Times thanked
< 58
Just when you thought Labyrinth couldn't get any better. Saw on twitter they are going to ban filming. Thank fuck. No more mood killing self consciousness. Always thought those ****s that film the crowd were rude and inconsiderate.
definedbyrhythm +

Disconnect yourself

Times thanked
< 199

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acperience 1 View Post

Hey Chris, I know it's really early, but will Labyrinth 2013 (if happening) be Saturday 14th Sept – Monday 16th Sept? Or Saturday 21st Sept - Monday 23rd Sept?

Just trying to work out it based on this -
Labyrinth 2012 – Saturday 15th Sept – Monday 17th Sept
Labyrinth 2011 – Saturday 17th Sept –Monday 19th Sept
Labyrinth 2010 – Saturday 18th – Monday 20th September

Going to come home from a 1 month Europe trip via Lab. If this information is better suited to PM let me know...

I also need this info please
debaser86 +

Times thanked
< 410

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk1 View Post

Just when you thought Labyrinth couldn't get any better. Saw on twitter they are going to ban filming. Thank fuck. No more mood killing self consciousness. Always thought those ****s that film the crowd were rude and inconsiderate.

Don't see why it's such a huge issue to you. Not that I filmed or photographed anything at the festival.
andyk1 +

Times thanked
< 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by debaser86 View Post

Don't see why it's such a huge issue to you. Not that I filmed or photographed anything at the festival.

I get self conscious and it snaps me out of my groove.. definitely something you don't want on the dancefloor. I also don't like the idea of some video of me dancing being in the public domain. That stuff doesn't irritate you? Maybe i'm just overly sensitive.
sounds_echoed +

Times thanked
< 318
I don't think anyone will know it's you, and those who will recognise you already know you and have probably seen you dance in real life

It would've been good to have cameras banned from the start of Labyrinth (first year) so it would be unknown to many who are still yet to attend. I guess kinda like Berghain, only those who've been there know. Having said that, with years of Laby being on, I think everyone has the general idea now of what to expect and what it looks like so can't really have that anymore.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »