The DJ Booth

We use Funktion One

Tools
Full Throttle E +

Times thanked
< 0
We use Funktion One
Hey ya'll,

It's pretty interesting finding out what equipment other DJs are using. Finding the equipment is half the game, right!?

In his DJ and sound career, our director has had heaps of experience in custom speaker design using JBL and TAD drivers. He has worked with EAW, Meyer, L'acoustics V'dosc and Dvdosc, as well as D&B. His mentors have included pioneers of sound; such as Ken Broan, Jon Hanour, Glen Hatch at Audio West, Sound Investment, and Tony Andrews.

Having gotten up close and personal with a tonne of rigs, he was converted to Funktion One many years back and that's what we use now! We are also currently using a CDJ2000Nexus Rig. We love Funktion One's organic and open sound, high SPL, and studio quality sound at high volumes. You don't have to EQ the hell out of the box; you get good sound straight away! The loudspeakers are coupled with XTA processing and MC2 amplifiers. Tony's settings are an amazing foundation to work with; it's all inbuilt and ready to go! We love it! We couldn't go back now. We have Res 5s. Res 4s, and Res 2s, which we also hire out for rental and production as well.

We want to know who else is using Funktion One? Where are you fellow F1-ers?
Australia's leading Production company and Provider of Funktion One.
22 years of sound excellence.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 1,001
best system i've ever heard.....void acoustics

Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Full Throttle E +

Times thanked
< 0
I like the design! I've heard good things about them!
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
< 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

I swear to god I have seen that exact soundsystem being used at the back of the Mono (Brisbane, Andy C, 2011?), it's mean looking thing.

As for the F-1's the only one I have seen in Australia thus far has been the 40K monster they had for Deliverance last year, man that thing sounded incredible. Not sure if they will use one again this year (I fucking hope so now that im playing though), it seems Nexo is the name of the game in QLD, Twisted Pair have done a brilliant job at rolling these out to clubs and festivals, oh and extra points to Twisted for actually knowing how to tune a system AND leave headroom for the tards who think red look pretty.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
< 13

Quote:

If this Chinese made rubbish was good, they would have reputable distributors, system integrators and AV contractors taking to it around the world... but they don't. I look at their distributor list and see a whole lot of nobodies.... guess why?

http://www.voidaudio.com/dealers.asp
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
< 383
Saw those red speakers at DC10 in Ibiza. Unfortunately they had the system way too loud. Even with earplugs it was murder...
Have experienced Funktion 1 elsewhere and they're pretty damn good
Mike BigFX - Soundcloud page http://soundcloud.com/mike-bigfx

Breaks in all its forms!
Progressive | Oldskool | NuSkool
Jude May +

ohhh yes, me please!

Times thanked
< 301
F1 is also pretty outdated. there are much better sounding speakers... but hey, enjoy the hype
My SoundCloud
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,319
I'm sure there is better, but you can't deny it's still pretty damn solid...better than most, infact.

System at Cielo in NYC is amazing! Small place, small system, but wow, such deep crisp sound, standing right beside the sub feeling this meaty WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP, highs crystal clear, without the sound being overly loud...still easy to talk to people...how sound should be
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
< 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jude May View Post

F1 is also pretty outdated. there are much better sounding speakers... but hey, enjoy the hype

+1

Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
< 352

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

I'm sure there is better, but you can't deny it's still pretty damn solid...better than most, infact.

System at Cielo in NYC is amazing! Small place, small system, but wow, such deep crisp sound, standing right beside the sub feeling this meaty WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP, highs crystal clear, without the sound being overly loud...still easy to talk to people...how sound should be

I have yet to go to Cielo, but pretty much everyone says the same thing about the system. It has a lot to do with the acoustics and design/layout of the room too. If I were to ever build by own club it would look something like this. Here's a cool 360 pano of the club:

https://www.google.com.au/maps?layer...CJUBENoUKAAwAA
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
< 1,489

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Small place, small system, but wow, such deep crisp sound, standing right beside the sub feeling this meaty WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP, highs crystal clear, without the sound being overly loud...still easy to talk to people...how sound should be

I wish more places realised it doesn't need to be deafening. Last time I went to at Laundry, it was stoopid loud, the entire room was vibrating and it was painful without ear plugs. Not keen to head back.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
< 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papanikolas View Post

It has a lot to do with the acoustics and design/layout of the room too. If I were to ever build by own club it would look something like this. Here's a cool 360 pano of the club

Room acoustic response, correct speaker selection and placement along with someone with the skill and expertise to properly tune and align a sound system counts for a lot more than the brand name on the front of the speaker.

There's plenty of idiots and know it alls out there that can install a brand name system and make it sound average, but someone who knows what they're doing can make an average sound system sound good. It's called proper engineering an implementation.
Full Throttle E +

Times thanked
< 0
I completely agree! Apt and tested engineering skills, experience and knowledge + high quality equipment design makes for a pretty mean ramification! Twenty years experience continues to teach me about the intricate craft - it's not a simple 1 + 1 fits all. But the results quickly speak for themselves. Including as you said 'm_xt' - unnecessarily harsh, over stated volumes. I must say though, on that point Funktion One are pretty darn good at hitting clear painless loud volumes. But once again, the results speak for themselves.
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
< 749

Quote:

Damn that looks awesome!

Two years ago i heard these mofos system at a festival: http://www.innerfield.co.uk/
dunno what brand speakers they have or if their own build? But they look pretty awesome and sound tight as hell. it was loud but everything was tuned so perfectly that my ears came out feeling great even without earplugs. pretty impressive!

e; a bigger pic --
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
Anyone heard Dillinjas Valve System?

Meant to be crazy. here's a short doco on it if you've got a spare 10 mins !

Media Player
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
< 105
^^ Apparantly one of the most brutally loud things on the face of the planet. I have heard stories about a 5-6 metre freezone around the bins as no one is game (or stupid enough) to get too close to them haha.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
DJAsio +

Times thanked
< 4
Ive used TurboSound systems and never liked the sound and was nothing new when i didnt like the sound of Function One either knowing that it was the same guy that started both.

for me, I loved the EV X-array system and used to use it early last decade for my events until i got banned from using it at a venue so i was introduced to NEXO. Ive heard the Geo S and was amazed on how well they sounded for the size and always seen on spec riders for the NEXO PS15's and big fan of them. With those systems it comes down to the processors and the technology thats put into them.

Function One look good and thats about it.
Dr Fegg +

Times thanked
< 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jude May View Post

Jude what are the "much better sounding speakers"... ?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »