Gaming, Computers, Phones, and Gadgets

Monitor just died... recommend me a new one?

Tools
stargazer +

Ooooeeeeoooo

Times thanked
< 813
Monitor just died... recommend me a new one?
Hi, my main, well external monitor just died, and I am in the last week of my thesis... need a new one asap... so if any one has any knowledge that could help me know what brands to avoid and maybe what to go for I would be grateful

some points

* connects to macbook pro 2012 model using dvi (mini dvi adaptor)
* dont really want to break the budget but dont want it to die in a year either

arc computers has an LG 23 inch monitor for about 200... its some sort of 3D though and seems to rely on software, anyone have any clues if this works with a mac split screen drivers?

anything would be helpful... though I will probably go get it in an hour
RIP SGU
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,480
I don't know if there any standouts as far as reliability goes. Just pick a brand you've heard of, and let your eyes decide what they like.
Yergg +

I am a **** ALL the time

Times thanked
< 2,524
buy the most expensive one you can afford, price is a clear indicator of quality
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,449
Yamakasi catleap 27".
stargazer +

Ooooeeeeoooo

Times thanked
< 813
thanks guys, done and dusted... just got a relatively cheap asus one, screen is nice but its a bit boxy... oh well, realistically it only really has to last until next friday...

man this last week has been hilarious, NAS died, with all my backups on it... nfi if it is just one disk or both or something in the chasis itself, but no time to investigate

now the monitor carked it...

waiting for the laptop to die now with all my research on it
RIP SGU
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Yamakasi catleap 27".

Mine arrived just now, straight away swapping it over from my old Samsung 226bw I was pretty gobsmacked by the clarity/colour difference, but then again I kind of knew it would be pretty good from using my rents 27" imac.

@ $315 delivered definitely a decent price for what you're getting (if you don't need a 100hz+ monitor).. you'll want to byo aussie kettle cord rather than the included travel adapter they give you though.

Just have to figure out if mine is overclockable now.
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
< 7,083

Quote:

Originally Posted by diarx View Post

it's not. there's no lottery any more and hasn't been for months and months. they changed the circuit boards, so the 2B models could OC but the 2C and onwards can't (i think the letter corresponded to month, so B was feb and march onwards have new circuitry).

you can buy a 120hz model, but they're expensive. this is because the spergers actually managed to find a supplier of the OC boards and they have them custom made in lots of 100 or something. hence the $400+ price tag.

unless something has changed in the last 2 months since i've been absent from tech world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,435
S24A450BW SyncMaster - http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consume...type=sa450-led

I've got two of these 24" monitors. They seem to do the job rather well and were about $240 each from MSY.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,449

Quote:

Originally Posted by diarx View Post

Mine arrived just now, straight away swapping it over from my old Samsung 226bw I was pretty gobsmacked by the clarity/colour difference, but then again I kind of knew it would be pretty good from using my rents 27" imac.

@ $315 delivered definitely a decent price for what you're getting (if you don't need a 100hz+ monitor).. you'll want to byo aussie kettle cord rather than the included travel adapter they give you though.

Yeah I set mine up one afternoon when I had a place to be rather urgently. It's safe to say that I was very, very late
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancho View Post

it's not. there's no lottery any more and hasn't been for months and months. they changed the circuit boards, so the 2B models could OC but the 2C and onwards can't (i think the letter corresponded to month, so B was feb and march onwards have new circuitry).

you can buy a 120hz model, but they're expensive. this is because the spergers actually managed to find a supplier of the OC boards and they have them custom made in lots of 100 or something. hence the $400+ price tag.

unless something has changed in the last 2 months since i've been absent from tech world.

even without overclockability, very happy with the value factor of the monitor.

would definitely fork out extra to source a 2b if it were for a gaming rig though.
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,083
yeah they're definitely a bargain. i was thinking about getting one when i got back from overseas and 7870s have dropped. well im back and 7870s are only $229+ now. but the monitors have gone up, i think you could get them for about $290 on special days a few months ago

Quote:

Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,449
Yeah mine was $298
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
mine was $315 delivered.

Can only see one dead pixel as far as I can see (near the edge fortunately), but it's so fucking tiny anyway you can't even notice.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,253
and that's exactly why they're cheap.
Yergg +

I am a **** ALL the time

Times thanked
< 2,524
yeh they are cheap because they are like b panels
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,449

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

and that's exactly why they're cheap.

Mine has zero dead pixels.

The last Samsung I had had a dead pixel straight from the box. Stupid argument.

They're cheap because they aren't sold at ridiculous retail prices.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,253
no they're cheap because their warranty is far lower quality, they lack a whole shitload of inputs and on screen adjustments, and as yerrrrrrg said they're binned panels. You buy a brand name 27" IPS and they'll be replacing it if it has dead pixels straight out of the box

i had my U2711 replaced a week ago (close to the end of its 3rd year of warranty) as it started flickering horizontal lines on the right hand side of the screen. Advanced replacement & all they asked was what the fault was AFTER they're arranged for the replacement to ship out.

so you had ONE samsung that had one dead pixel. I bet the rate of occurrence is a whole lot lower in samsung than these. Also i bet your samsung was a standard consumer screen too
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,083
haven't you learned not to listen to derps yet?

Quote:

Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,449

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

no they're cheap because their warranty is far lower quality, they lack a whole shitload of inputs and on screen adjustments, and as yerrrrrrg said they're binned panels. You buy a brand name 27" IPS and they'll be replacing it if it has dead pixels straight out of the box

i had my U2711 replaced a week ago (close to the end of its 3rd year of warranty) as it started flickering horizontal lines on the right hand side of the screen. Advanced replacement & all they asked was what the fault was AFTER they're arranged for the replacement to ship out.

so you had ONE samsung that had one dead pixel. I bet the rate of occurrence is a whole lot lower in samsung than these. Also i bet your samsung was a standard consumer screen too

I've had 3 Samsungs with dead pixels, and I've only owned 4...
Yamakasi will replace a panel that has dead pixels in the centre area. I'm more than happy with my monitor that cost 25% of what yours did, but people always find something to complain about.
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,083
i think nismo bought his when dell had them for like $650 on special not long after launch going back 2+ years. so yeah, try 50%. also, he doesn't have to spend over $100 shipping it back to korea to get a replacement.

Quote:

Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,449
Neither do I

They were $1199 when I was looking.
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,083
explain

Quote:

Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,449
I don't have to send it back because it works fine. If it dies ill just buy another one, it's already done months.
Yergg +

I am a **** ALL the time

Times thanked
< 2,524

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

I've had 3 Samsungs with dead pixels, and I've only owned 4...
Yamakasi will replace a panel that has dead pixels in the centre area. I'm more than happy with my monitor that cost 25% of what yours did, but people always find something to complain about.

I don't think you get it, they are B panels i.e panels that the other companies deemed not good enough for their products.

yes in most circumstances they look "fine" and work flawlessly but they are still the b grade panels that all the major manufactures refused to use.
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,449

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yergg View Post

I don't think you get it, they are B panels i.e panels that the other companies deemed not good enough for their products.

yes in most circumstances they look "fine" and work flawlessly but they are still the b grade panels that all the major manufactures refused to use.

No, I understand this. It's just irrelevant.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Yergg +

I am a **** ALL the time

Times thanked
< 2,524
It is absolutely relevant you dumb **** that's why they are cheap, they are second rate panels but will mostly look fine
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,083
derp, i've missed you and your derp logic

Quote:

turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,435
You guys and your monitor wanking. So are mine good or what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,253
I paid 650 for my Dell. Didn't cost me a cent to get it replaced and I had it next business day
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,449

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yergg View Post

It is absolutely relevant you dumb **** that's why they are cheap, they are second rate panels but will mostly look fine

So if I have one that looks fine, what relevance is there?
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,635
Dell has sales all the bloody time. I'd rather wait for one and get one of their top notch panels.
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
Ive had no problems with my dell. I bought the top of the line 24 inch panel 8-9 years ago for $1400 on sale from $1800 and its still going.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »