Psychedelic / Doof

Thinking of making a documentary on the Australian Psytrance Scene...

Tools
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
< 83
Thinking of making a documentary on the Australian Psytrance Scene...
As it says above, I'm thinking about making a documentary about the psytrance scene in Australia. I think there's so many directions I could take...

- the origins of the music

- looking at the growth of the scene from the early years to now

- the Australian psytrance sound

- the community and culture in the scene (just partying, or is there political and social ideas there as well, new age stuff, is it hypocritical to be considered environmental while setting up huge soundsystems in the bush...)

- the use of psychedelics

- use of the internet to connect the scene

- the visual arts and decor etc

- promoter wars and the business of psytrance (large crews or small crews, festivals vs small not-for-profit doofs...)

I was thinking this could be a full 90 minute doco, exploring all these aspects and really getting into the heads of the artists, organisers, and doofers.

What do you guys reckon?

* Just some background info, I'm a DJ/producer in the psy scene, as well as work with a Canberra based crew who put on parties, but also a working journalist with access to proffesional equipment and editing gear. There may be some positive bias towards the scene in this doco
Dragon Dreaming Festival - 25-27 October @ Canberra - Prog/Psytrance

Soliton Drop Festival - 10-12 January @ NSW - Prog/Psytrance

Hard NV - 1 February - @NV Nightclub, Canberra - Hard Techno

Brotherhood - 8 February @Canberra Warehouse - Techno/Trance

Kazuki.com.au
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
< 83
Well, doco is going ahead - organised filming at two doofs in the next two months!

Kazuki.com.au
Lui_raptor +

Times thanked
< 0
i own and run australiens.net .. if you want to chat about anything etc find me on facebook 'lui raptor'
Join the ESP EVENTS facebook group to stay up to date with psytrance/psybreaks/glitch parties in Sydney! Free entry comps + more!
Earth 2 Sam +

Times thanked
< 0
Hi Digital Grub. Probably too late but I like your idea. Would also love to put my 2 cents in on this also as I have seen a few docos on the scene that make it look like a bunch of "high" space cadets dancing to bad quality goa trance! (Referring to Psyfeur - 10 years of Goa Trance doco). Would love somebody to bring out the real culture of the scene including the sense of community, camping fun, expression through visual art, the gathering of soo many nationalities for the same cause!, the amazing costumes and fashions, beautiful natural people, interesting food, clothing, and other market stalls, yoga and meditation classes, workshops, and the general festival life style. I hope I dont come accross as an asshole from this post but I do tend to get frustrated with "outsiders" views on these events and would love to show them the beautiful things that we all create when we get together

Please send me a link to your video once done! Cheers!
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
< 83
Yeah, I don't think I'll be doing any more work doco at this point - got way too much going on organising events as well as my own DJing/producing!

But in response to Earth 2 Sam, it would be fairly positive towards the scene (obviously acknowledge a few of the negatives as well). But yeah, having too much fun doing other creative stuff at the moment.

Kazuki.com.au
meldavid +

I used to be a raver like you, but then I took a kick to the knee.

Times thanked
< 528
Consider talking to some psy artists who will help fund your project, in return for exposure in your doco.
AllintheMind +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalgrub View Post

Yeah, I don't think I'll be doing any more work doco at this point - got way too much going on organising events as well as my own DJing/producing!

But in response to Earth 2 Sam, it would be fairly positive towards the scene (obviously acknowledge a few of the negatives as well). But yeah, having too much fun doing other creative stuff at the moment.

Something I have noticed that might be an interesting idea to explore. I think generation Y have a very different take on the scene than older ones do.
I also feel that many of the original values have been lost or put aside. I think if you talk to most older crew in the scene you will find the same response.
I also find the whole "positive/negative" thing a bit tedious. In truth, these concepts exist only in the human mind, they aren't even real. It holds people back from engaging with the issues. Every community has its strengths and weaknesses. If you raise an issue (such as drug use), you are labelled as being "negative".
This is a real pity, as I have found there is an enormous amount of creative energy available that could deal with issues in new and imaginative ways. In other countries, the psy scene seems to be a lot more progressive and proactive.
Problem is, with all the emphasis on dj and producer lineups, there is a lot of creative energy being pissed up against the wall.
I thinks its wise to put the project on hold for now. A realistic take on the scene? Personally, I think it would cause controversy. And, for some idiotic reason, controversy must be avoided at all costs.
Like my avatar? Make your own here: http://apophysis.xyrus-worx.org/#grab
Velociravetor +

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody do the dinosaur!

Times thanked
< 320

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllintheMind View Post

I also find the whole "positive/negative" thing a bit tedious. In truth, these concepts exist only in the human mind, they aren't even real. It holds people back from engaging with the issues. Every community has its strengths and weaknesses. If you raise an issue (such as drug use), you are labelled as being "negative".

This is spot on

Would be interested in seeing the doof wars part, should be made into a reality tv show
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
< 83
Yeah, I don't think the drug use is much of a negative - especially when compared to your typical Saturday night out in any major city or country town (drunken violence). Negatives would be the 'doof wars' as Velciravetor put it - which is typical to any dance scene, peace and loving or not.

Anyway, I'll take a look at it all in future. In the meantime, here's some music I got released in the last few weeks!

http://www.beatport.com/release/spaceship-earth/1012491

Kazuki.com.au
slattikarma +

Times thanked
< 138
Be sure to watch "Welcome to Wonderland'
fractalign +

Times thanked
< 1
Yeah Welcome to Wonderland was an absolute corker ! i think we are overdue for a good doofumentary because Welcome to Wonderland is over 7 years old.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »